“What is WRONG with those of you who have "slammed" this resort??”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My husband and I travelled to Secrets Wild Orchid (Private Club) April 3-10, 2011, and without a moment's hesitation will be returning there again next year. What is so abnormal with this statement is that we have NEVER YET found a place that we would ecstatically return to in our 30 years of Caribbean travel. This place was topnotch!!! The food was absolutely superb at each and every restaurant, buffet included, the rooms were spotless, the resort itself is spotless, the staff in every nook and cranny of the the site were more than helpful and delightful to deal with each and every day, even acknowledging us by our names each and every time we came through the door! The beach to the Private Club is most quaint, private, quiet and the most relaxing, clean, white-sanded beach I have come across. The entertainment provided each and every evening was spectacular!!! Don't miss the steel drum band show on any given Monday night, for you will never encounter a show like this again.

The liquor was top-notch brands and the wines were fabulous European.... not the kind one would be given in the DR!!! Ugh!

Relaxation, relaxation and romance .... this is the theme of this resort, and that is what you will walk away with when you sadly have to leave.

In summary, I DO NOT know/understand what the problem is or what MORE any person could expect when it comes to such a fine, upstanding, newly developed resort. I had many a conversation with those who flocked about the beach and pools at Wild Orchid and they too were all asking the same, vehement that they, too, would return in a flash. Perhaps there are too many chronic complainers out there that just can't stop to "smell the wild orchids!" In any event, make sure you visit this place and don't listen or pay attention to the negative comments about this hotel, for they are TOTALLY UNFOUNDED!

5  Thank PBail
There are newer reviews for Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Reviewed April 20, 2011

This was the 2nd trip to SWO for my husband and myself. We were first there right after their Grand Opening in April of last year. Our previous trip left much to be desired so we didn’t know what to expect upon our return. We were blown away by the improvements!

For full disclosure let me say that we returned using a voucher so other then our airfare and transfers our stay was free. The voucher was issued due to the problems we had last year, which obviously couldn’t have been to bad or we would not have returned at all.

To start we had to arrange our own transfers. We booked through Clives, $50 round trip. Which BTW is a good price. The transport was great. They were on time. The drivers were friendly and gave great info about the local area. The vehicles used are not luxury but were clean and safe.

ROOMS - Back to our stay. So glad we gave SWO a second chance. We stayed at SWO Pref. this time vs regular SWO last time. There was no outstanding difference in the room other then the soaking tub on the balcony and self serve alcohol in the room (Brady, Rum and Vodka) on the PC side. We thought the room on the regular side was a bite larger. This being said the perks on the PC side would be worth the cost of the upgrade. We loved the PC pool and beach, it was not as crowded and had great wait service. The 24hr PC snack bar and drink service in the lobby was very nice. Additional the staff in the PC lobby was great. With the views on either side I can’t imagine there is truly a bad room in the entire resort. Just FYI we had no bugs or insect problems in our room.

STAFF - Everyone was wonderful. Always kind and helpful. We had multiple staff members go out of their way to make our trip special. Big thanks to Daniel C. front desk manager for getting us a room on the 4th floor. Danielle, waitress on the PC beach made great drink recommendation and was quick to bring refills. Jeffery, a PC bellhop with a greet voice and warm smile, checked with us to see how things were going every time he saw us. Had wonderful and entertaining service by Delroy at Himiststu and Patrick at Portofino. Hands down the nicest staffer we meet at SWO was Hillary in room service. We saw her daily and I just can’t say enough about how sweet she was and always had our room service order to us in less then 30mins.

I have seen people complaining about tipping. I find this very confusing because tipping is not required or recommended. If you don’t want to tip don’t. I noticed no difference in service regardless of whether I tipped or not. This being said the staff at Secrets works so hard and are so kind we felt that tipping was the least we could do to show our appreciation.

FOOD – Room service offers a small menu but the food always arrived hot and quickly. Restaurants are Ok not great but equivalent to most of the other all inclusive we have visited in Mexico. At the restaurants we were always sat and waited on promptly. Food was served quickly and our glasses were never ever empty. The breakfast buffet is the best meal of the day! Room service breakfast is very good as well.

SPA – We went during this trip and during our last trip. We thoroughly enjoyed both visits. The water circuit is wonderful. Don’t wait for a staff member to walk you through it. It wastes time and going it on your own allows you to enjoy the specific areas that you want. This time around we did a couple’s hot stone massage. AMAZING!!!! Well worth the $360 for the two of us for 80mins. I get massages often back at home to avoid more invasive treatment for neck and back problems. So I can assure you that Patricia & Nadia give wonderful massages.

ONLY DISAPPOINTMENTS – It was my husband’s B-day during our stay and the resort won’t do anything special to help us celebrate unless I purchase a Birthday package, which was way over priced. This may have been because we weren’t technically paying customers but was disappointment none the less. They could have at least put a Birthday banner on our door or a candle in his dessert.

The other thing that I was disappointed in was the fact that the hotel was rushed open last year leaving many small details in the rooms unfinished. I really thought rounding their 1yr anniversary that hotel would have went back and finished things off with little touch ups where needed. This has not happened. I would highly recommend that management consider this during the resorts off season because it wouldn’t take much to make a huge difference.

OVERALL – We had a great stay. The resort as a whole moves quicker and more efficiently. The staff is better trained and better prepared. The addition of the shops and the small casino is great. The service is now on par with other 4 & 5 star resorts we have stayed at. We will most definitely be back. I would highly recommend this resort to any of my family or friends. My recommendation is go and go now! Sit back and enjoy the best of Jamaica and the beautiful sunsets!

1  Thank stephygal
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Okay, let me just inform you this was a "babymoon" trip, and I am 5 months pregnant so I would say I am a great judge of this resort....
We paid a little more for Wild Orchid, and Im so glad we did. We were much closer to all the food places, and St. James seemed a little far.
We loved our room! Not one issue! Had housekeeping and turndown service everyday and even the towels were in a special heart design on the bed.
Beach and pool was so beautiful! It was busy, so we got up at 7 to put towels down, although I heard there were huge company events going on and it was just booked. No biggie.
Since being pregnant, Ive become extremely picky, The breakfast buffet was awesome! Plenty and plenty to choose from! Everything tasted great!
Lunch was great weather we ate at the pool or in the buffet. One day lunch at the pool was slower than usual, but I think they forgot to put our order in. Thank god for the appitizer bar because that could fill you up alone!
Dinner was great at all the different places. My husband didnt care for the Italtian one, said his chicken was bland, but that was the only complaint. We did the buffet for dinner and there was a ton to choose from!
Entertainment was the best Ive ever seen in all my travels! We were so impressed and it was very enjoyable! The reggae band was amazing!!!! We did go up to the room around 10:30 because I was just tired.
I got a prenatel massage, it was awesome. Spa was spectacular!
We did pay extra for the dinner on the gazebo, and it was one of the most romantic dinners I have ever had with my husband. Do it around 7:30 ish.
We booked our trip directly though the resort, and they had the best prices. Including airfare and transfers. I would really check into that. Call the number on the website for booking.
We would go back to this resort in a heartbeat! I really disagree with all the negitive reviews! Remember, this is Jamaica, not America where we expect things to be perfect and within seconds.
Just relax mon!!!!!!

3  Thank luv2travelDenver
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We arrived on March 31st and stay until April 4th. We had to wait for 1 hr until someone checked us in. They made us feel like they were sorry when they made a reservation for the last night at the Himitsu restaurant. Here to find out they did that for everyone. The room service was just o.k. They only had Red Stripe beer for our refrigerator and not Red Stripe Light (said not available) Beach was small with lots of rocks. We walked over to the bar by the Preferred Club side and ordered a drink. The bartender reached in the sink full of dirty glasses, poured out the ice and made us a drink. Needless to say we walked away and poured out the drinks. (Good way to catch hepititis or strep!) My husband ordered steak medium well and when it came out it was rare and cold in the middle. My seafood gumbo had very tough mussels and lots of baby squids (yuck) and a few very tiny shrimp. Needless to say since it was all inclusive we walked out and went to the buffet to eat (not much better). Salad dressings in Jamaica are a lot different than here in the USA. They are very watered down and didn't have a lot of flavor. The bar in the lobby was the best for drinks. Those people knew how to make a great Bloody Mary and Mud Slide. The wine was also very good. The room service was just ok. I think the rooms could have been a little cleaner. Since it was only 1 yr old we thought it would be very nice. We did not see any flowers planted around the hotel itself. The pool was designed that you could not get to the pool bar on the one side unless you got out and walked around. Some people that worked there had an attitude but then there were others that were great. This was our first time in Jamica and I am sure we would go back but not to this resort.

3  Thank squeakee50a
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I arrived on april 11th. We stayed one week. The whether was fantastic. The food was very good. If anyone has to be on a gluten free diet, this is the place to go. They really accommodated me. The chef met me at each meal and went over the menu. The service was great. The help is very genuine and will go out their way to please. I have been to a number of secrets resorts, and always had a good time.

Room Tip: ocean view
2  Thank ruthann9
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I'll keep this short and sweet. We thought the food was below average and the service was up and down, but mostly down. Pool service rocked, but lunch service and some bar service was horrible. Many employees even gave us attitude. So dissappointed since it got great ratings.
The spa wasn't anything special and again service was crappy.
Check in was horrible. We waited for over 20 mins, were not greeted and not given our welcome drink or anything.
Room service was very pathetic with selection and again food quality was poor.

4  Thank Boom72
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We just came back for a wonderful Wedding Moon and Secrets Wild Orchid and it was worth every penny! For the moment we arrived the bellman was friendly and accommodating. We were greeted by the front desk clerk and offered and seat and cocktails in the lounge while we waited to fill out the register. Our flight arrived very early so we changed into swimwear while we waited for out room….just in time for breakfast! The buffet was wonderful …greeted at the door with mimosa’s everyday! Our room was modern clean and had a lovely view…..All the rooms are ocean views! The pools were nice some heated some not …the choice is yours…. The beach was delightful….true it is rocky in some areas but that is true for some of the beaches in Jamaica. We met with the wedding planner and “Rev” who was wonderful to nail down all of the final details and needless to say there were “no problems …lol” . We upgraded to the “secrets of love” wedding package even though there was only 5 of us……worth it because of all the upgrades you get!!!!!!!! The spa did my hair and make-up flawlessly (I was nervous because I had no idea who was going to do it) The hotel steamed out both my dresses ( I had two wedding dresses a formal and a party dress! And hubby’s linen!) We had a private romantic dinner on the beach for 5 at sunset …how awesome! We changed and the partied at the club on site! I tossed the bouquet and we said goodnight!

Did I mention the photos were amazing!

Wild Orchid is an adult’s only paradise. You can find spots that are lively or laid back what every you want it’s there. The drinks are great, the food is great, the spa was awesome!!!!!! (a MUST DO!) and the staff there is excellent. Don’t believe all the negative hype….if you do run into a problem no worries the will fix it …..no problem!

2  Thank KellzGee
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!