“GREAT EXPERIENCE HOTEL STAFF WERE FANTASTIC”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Good getaway, pool bar and pool staff were attentive
Candlelite dinner on beach was worth the extra $
One issue was trouble with room air conditioner all week, it was never fixed
Bellboys were happy especially Hopeton
Will come back!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 14, 2011

Secrets Montego Bay, recently hosted our Corporate group of about 70 persons for three nights. Overall rating - 10. Here's why...
Staff: From the bell staff to wait staff to life guards and housekeeping, we were treated graciously and respectfully. We rate your service level off-the-charts.
Food: Even the most finicky eaters were impressed. And throughout the event, our guests raved about the buffets – both private and communal. The restaurants received rave reviews as well, with quality and service exceeding all expectations.
Property: What a gem. Wild Orchid affords quick access to everything the property has to offer and unlike some other massive resorts at which we’ve hosted events, no one complained that they couldn’t find their room or were confused about the location of any event.

Great venue.

Superb assistance from the Tourism Bureau. They rock.

AMSTAR was amazing. This DMC was responsible for our ground transfers to and from the airport and for excursions. They didn't miss a beat and their staff is equally impressive.

Don't take my word...go see this beauty for yourself.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Amazing vacation! This resort is an A+ , Someone I work with went in October and loved it. I'm glad I took her advice instead of bad reviews and booked it. We stayed in the Wild Orchid Preferred Club section and it was great. We had a hot tub on our balcony, sushi, apps, and drinks every night in the lobby and free internet - even though we didn't need it on vacation but nice to have it! The location of the resort is very secluded and there is no one bothering you on the beach or hasseling you because it is way down at the end of Montego Bay away from the other resorts. Beautiful backdrop of mountains and the bay. Very nice chairs and very clean. There were so many romantic secluded spots to go and just relax. Extremely clean resort, very safe area, and lots of staff around to wait on you. The food was great. There could be more dining choice options but who cares - we had a choice of 5 restaurants every night! The Italian was so good - it's hard to beat the kind of Italian where we live in New York/New Jersey area but it was good! Japanese was fun! The people were all so nice. Do not listen to any of the bad reviews - the only way you could not like this place is if you are looking for something to complain about or you are very hard to please. We travel all the time and are a bit picky and we LOVED it. We normally are big Sandals people but Secrets was outstanding. We went down to Sandals Montego Bay to get on an excurison boat and we were glad we picked Secrets. Book it now! We cannot wait to go back! The only advice I have is I wish someone told us to wait and buy our souveniers at the airport. We paid $36 for an excursion trip to the markets and realized when we got to the airport that they had all the same rum, cigars, leaf photo albums etc for a lot cheaper than even the prices we bartered them down to. Lots of shops at the airport when you leave.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Great place to relax and do nothing (hang at the pools, or beach). The staff is unbelievibly friendly! Anything you want "no problem mon". The spa was fantistic-had a great massage. The food was surprisingly good for an all inclusive. If you're an ocean lover like me you'll be dissapointed with the beach and lack of waves, but, i still managed to get in some watersking and kayaking.

Room Tip: ask for a 1st floor water front room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Traveled with a group of 11 ladies for my 40th birthday celebration and it could not have been a better experience. The staff was exceptionally gracious and with each request ~~ "it's a pleasure" or "no problem". The resort was very clean and beautiful. We did have cold food on one occasion but when you are in paradise one bad meal is almost not worth the mention. I would HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone. Secrets offers a wonderful fun party atmosphere poolside but can also be beautifuly romantic with private seclusion at the same time, with lots of candle light at dinners and such. The evening were very quiet, everyone enjoying the beautiful sunsets.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BuffyJo40
Reviewed April 11, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a friend's wedding at Wild Orchid. We are newly weds who honeymooned in Mexico, but my travel agent told me not to compare the two resorts since they are completely different countries, so I went into it with an open mind.

First upon arrival we were harassed by guys carrying our bags at the airport for a tip. They rolled the bags maybe 200 feet and wouldn't let us board our transport before tipping. This had no bearing on the resort, but just a prelude of what was to come.

Upon arriving at the resort, after being asked for tips from the bus driver, we were escorted into a nicely furnished lobby. However, there was no check-in desk area so we were all confused as to how we were supposed to check in. There were other guests there who said they'd been waiting 20 minutes to check in as well. After finally getting checked in we were just pointed in the general direction of our room. So we found our room on our own and waited on our bags, which eventually were brought to us within 15 minutes or so.

The wife and I are hungry now, so we changed into pool clothes and head to Oceana, which sits over the main pool. After standing at the hostess area for about 10 minutes, someone finally comes and tells us that the restaurant is closed for a private function and the only place open for food at 4pm is on the St. James side of the resort. So we go over there to eat. The menu only had about 5 choices of entree, the service was slow, and the food wasn't that great.

This was par for the course with regards to the food and restaurants. Bar service was often hit and miss. Some servers would walk around the pool and take drink orders, while others would just walk around, look at you, and take your empty glass without asking if you wanted anything else. Often times the bartenders would hover around after serving you a drink expecting a tip. I can understand a bartender expecting a tip, but the resort states that tips and gratuities were already included, so I found it rude that the bartenders were expecting tips when the place is advertised as not needing tips.

The grounds were all nice and well kept. The resort is new so much of the plantings are in their infancy. The beaches also provided breath taking views, but were very, very rocky so unless you wore sandals in the water your feet were hurting.

I was also disappointed in how the actual resort is assembled. It was as if the people who constructed the resort were in a hurry and cut multiple corners. The caulking in my shower was done very poorly, which also led to leaks into the bathroom stall. Also, I used the bathroom in the preferred club area after the wedding, and the entire door frame in the restroom was unfinished. I could see unstained wood and shims used to level the door. It was like the construction guys said "well, there's a door there now so we're done."

Overall, I feel the place was overpriced. The cost was comparable to what we paid for our honeymoon in Mexico, but the service and amenities were far worse. The food was bland, room service menu was absolutely pathetic, and overall service was just not what is advertised.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dgfarr
Reviewed April 10, 2011

After reading almost all the reviews on Trip Advisor & Facebook, we were a little worried to come to this resort. We decided on our way to the resort that we would have zero expectations. Please do not read the bad reviews. This place is fantastic!

My Husband & I stayed at SWO form Jan 9 to 16. We stayed on the preferred SWO, 3rd floor. The room looks exactly like the pictures. Our room was always clean & had no problems with the floor getting wet from the shower.

We ate all almost all the restaurants. Portofino, Bordeaux, Oceana, Himitsu, Seaside Grill & World Cafe. We had breakfast everyday at the World Cafe. They have a large selection, something for everyone.
Portofino - I love Italian food, so my expectations of Italian food in Jamaica wasn’t very good. We were very impressed. We had the Calamari for appetizer, Chicken parm & the Lamb for entrée. For desert the Tiramisu (very very good) & the Rocatta cake.
Bordeaux - Also very good & the french onion soup was fantastic.
Oceana- We at there 3 times. The mussels & scallops on the appetizer buffet are to die for. I have only had mussels a few times prior to this trip and didn’t enjoy them. I have never had mussels that tasted this good. We also ate the grey snapper & the surf & turf, which was also fantastic. Come back the next day for lunch and had the mussels again.
Hitmitsu - We ate at both the hibachi and the asian sit down. We had all the hot appetizers at the asian restaurant. They were all very very good & the shrimp pad thai for entree also fantastic. The hibachi was fun Ricardo was our chef, he was very entertaining.

We spent the mornings on WO preferred side. When the water is calm snorkeling is fantastic. We saw many fish including puffer fish. The preferred side is definitely more tame. If you looking to do more activities & party the SWO main pool is the place to be. As for the beach the water is perfectly clear but there are a lot of sharp shells and rocks on the beach & in the water. This didn’t bother us. I would definitely bring water shoes. If your into shell picking there are a lot of good finds on the beach.

A lot of people complained that the pools were not heated. Some are not. The Preferred swim out pool is not heated as well as the main WO activity pool, but the preferred main pool & WO swim up bar pool are heated. Once your in the non heated pool for a few minutes you get used to it.

We were able to enjoy a lot of the water sport activities. We went out on the kayak & hobby cat twice. We did the swim-out snorkel tour that is at 1:50 pm everyday. It was good, we even got to see a lion fish. This was all free. We also did the paid snorkel tour. It was awesome! It was just the two of us, the guide & the guy who drove the boat. They took 8 min out, right near Margaritaville. It was awesome, we were able to see so many different fish and a beautiful coral reef. It was only $35/each. Totally worth it!

On our last full day the weather wasn’t the greatest so we decided to venture off and do the zip lining with Chukka Tours. We really enjoyed it. If you are one to normally get bitten buy mosquitoes, I would recommend bring bug spray.

This also answers your questions about mosquitoes. Mosquitoes love me, I only received 3 bites while being on the resort. Which is really good for me.

A lot of people also complained about the check in service. We had no problem what so ever, but we did stay on the preferred side.

I had to think hard to think of a complaint. If you could even call these complaints. At breakfast sometimes it was hard to find ketchup. One day I was unable to get a towel at the WO main pool, I was told that I needed to get it on the preferred side. The beds were to soft.
There were so many other things that were fantastic & I could go on and on. All in all this is a fantastic resort & are planning on returning. I really think that some people just have ridiculous standards & like to complain.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!