“Rather Unremarkable”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cumberland, Maryland
“Rather Unremarkable”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

1) Housekeeping doesn't "clean" they "tidey up", left a dead moth in our kamode area for 4 days, didn't refill toilet paper (seriously!), and had to request wash/hand towels. Then solicited a tip at the end of our stay even stopping by our room because she was going to be off the next day! Same with the "Mini Bar Guy"!
2) Little to do inside or at least under shade
3) Several surly employees in Oceana and Seaside Grill (lunch crew)
4) Resort/spa coupons not usuable as lead to believe when booking
5) Grounds not as tended as should be, room had several wall cracks (horizontal and vertical), mold smell
6) Have to pay for internet if not in PC
7) Room Service is awful!! (menu, delivery, personnel)
7) Employees band around the halls as early as 4:00am!!

1 Thank Jamaicamistaka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,348)
  • Czech first
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My husband, his family, and I recently visited Secrets St. James in Montego Bay. I could sum our vacation up in one statement... I wouldn't change a single thing about the entire week. The resort was beautiful, and was nothing short of paradise. The food, service and cleanliness of Secrets was "top notch." We especially enjoyed Simone, Alvin and Cordiff at the Marlin Bar. We found ourselves "camping out" on the beach and at the pool near the Marlin Bar just so that we could enjoy their company and service. (I will miss you all so much! Thank you for everything!) Natalie, our evening housekeeper was AWESOME, and Aaron and Leroi in the Blue Mountain restaurant were great, too! There are many other names that I could mention too!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
DALLAS
Reviewed August 7, 2010

My hubby and I had our first kid free trip. I did as much research as one could without going crazy! I was on FB and also Tripadvisor constantly. I read until I got sleepy....and almost drove our travel agent nuts. We arrived there Friday July 31, 1 hour late thanks to AA. But we were safe so who cares. We had a pretty long wait in customs but who cares I was in Jamaica and feeling it. After getting on the bus provided by JTL we were on our way. What a wild ride! We loved every moment from the time we landed in Jamaica. We were in absolute AWE! We got to the hotel and kindly greeted by Billy LOVE and DERRIK. Great guys. We were welcomed with champagne and cold towels and whisk away to the Preferred Club. Check in took all of 15 minutes and we were laughing and drinking immediately. We got to our rooms and everything was picture perfect. The bed was heavenly and the shower was so awesome. The free Wifi worked great. We left our babies at home and in order to speak to them we brought our laptop and downloaded Skype. It was the best thing ever. So we were able to log on morning and night to speak to them and see them all for free. The WiFI was fast and we never had one problem with it. The TV does come with cable and a few interesting channels..hint hint. We kept all our items in a safe and one day forgot to lock it with money and the Ipad and Macbook in there. We got back and everything was still there untouched. We took advantage of everything we were offered besides the spa and purchasing wine. I figured that we paid enough and If i needed a massage Hunney better get to work. We changed and ran to meet the sunset. We had our first mixed drink...the infamous BOB MARLEY! It was lovely. We got back to our room and had turn down service which was super nice.....we ordered room service and an hour later we received it. The food was warm definitely not hot but we were starving so it was suffice enough. We got dressed and had our first dinner at Portofino. It was mediocre but we had already had steak so NO PROBLEM MON. Everything went as planned our whole trip. Nothing to throw a fit over. Each day we found something new to do. We did the shopping excursion to Montego Bay with Garfield and he was great! Go to Bev's store OMG she is so beautiful and sweet. If you get to the craft market, Leelah was our favorite. Funny as hecks. They were pushy here but I understood wanting to make a dollar so it didn't bother us. We spent a lot of money there trying to make sure we bought from the people we really liked and took the time to know us as well. We got back to the restaurant famished and feeling like we really missed something. So off to the beach and then dinner. Our favorite Restaurant at the hotel was Bordeaux. The food was great and servers were so sweet. Breakfast was the same buffet every morning but plentiful. We never felt hungry the entire time we were here. The beach was relaxing and quiet. Simone was the best server ever. She kept our drinks coming and she is very personable. I must say that we didn't have turn down service every night. It never seemed to bother us. We sat in the Jacuzzi most nights and by the time we made it to the bed we didn't care if we slept on top or under the cover. Everyone was super nice and always tried to accommodate you how ever they could. We also didn't do many excursions. This place was so relaxing especially on the St. James side we never wanted to leave. Now the WIld Orchid side was named respectively. Wild. That side was for sure the Party. The people who stayed on that side came for the party so when we wanted a good laugh and a little flavor we hung out on that side. When we got ready for peace and quiet back to the St. James. We stayed in our pool and fell asleep because it was so quiet. Music is always playing at the resort and its really soothing. It did rain 3 of the 5 days we were there. The soaking tub on the balcony came in real handy. We sat in the soaking tub watching the rain. That was by far the most beautiful storm we've ever been in. I read plenty of post, comments, and reviews to make me want to stay away from this place. But we were so glad that we didn't listen to everyone. This place turned out the be the best. If you go in expecting perfection you will be disappointed because that doesn't exist anywhere. Its super laid back here and if you keep that attitude along with liquor things will go beautifully. We were saddened to leave this place. And we met some of the most beautiful people. We are making a trip back in february and we can't wait. If you go with an positive attitude and focus on your spouse, significant other or what ever reason you came for you'll have the time of your life. Be IRIE MON!

4 Thank JAMAICAMEKRAZY
Trenton
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Jamaica to have a nice and relaxing time with each other and, we did. The hotel is absolutely beautiful! We loved just walking around the resort, especially at night. Very relaxing! If you just want to lay around the beach and/or pool to relax there is plenty of loungers with shade. If you want to do activities at the resort you will have a blast. The kayaks were fun, the hobies were amazing, and the activities the entertainment crew put together are lots of fun as well. A special thanks to Bruce, Noel, and Kaycey for organizing and playing beach volleyball. We had so much fun, you guys are the best!!! A hint for the hobies, the best time to ride is from 10:30-1:30pm because of the wind conditions. Also, the nightly entertainment is a must. The house band "Pace" plays at 7:30 and they sounded wonderful. At 9pm every night is entertainment and we were never disappointed. It was always a good time. While we were there the entertainment was always in the Showplace Theatre and we were glad for that because it gave you a chance to get out of the heat. The food was very good. Our favorite was the filet tenderloin at Bordeaux and the pizza for lunch at Sea Breeze. There is plenty of variety! Room service did take a while, but it was very good.

Only complaints were about the room, but it did not bother me that much. The shower water pressure was very, very low which made showering time consuming. Also, the room fridge was always warm. I finally just got buckets of ice and filled up the sink with waters and sodas to keep them cold.

Overall, we had a great time and I would love to go back again soon!

2 Thank TrentonBaseballmom
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed August 5, 2010

The room (suite) was very laid out and I am still in awe of the patio facing the ocean. It was so relaxing to sit out there early mornings and most of all the view the gorgeous sunset in the evening. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and and presented as honestly pleased to assist. I found the housekeeper Jennifer and Mani the check-in/out agent to be extremely warm, sincere and pleasant. I am looking forward to returning next year with some of my family and friends..........Sharon from Wake Forest, NC

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank seg777
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Service was great especially in the hotel lobby bar...Lesmore has that bar on point
Communication between the front desk and housekeepers lack..we waited an hour for towels..ended up missing lunch :(
Clean, trendy hotel..VERY CLEAN the other elevator needs to start working
Friendly staff
The beach is sweet..be careful of the rocks below though
the privacy light is very very convenient, but there needs to be an explanation to guests
Didnt need the Preferred Club...Everybody here is preferred!
LOVE LOVE LOVE the view from our balcony
the rooms are soooo private, felt like we were the only ones in the hotel!!
the spa the spa the spa...WOW
Great place if your trying to rekindle the excitement, heading for divorce or spouse getaway. I feel you need a spouse/partner when here...not intended for young people on summer break...25 and over feel. I love Secrets and I WILL be back!! ps Im glad there are no pets allowed...hotel is too classy for that

1 Thank MzCamp
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed August 4, 2010

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in which we spent 5 days at Secrets St. James in Montego Bay and we had a great time. The service was outstanding every where at the hotel and it was almost like every one was to excited to help you. I had read a lot of reviews and was very worried about going on this trip but I can honestly say if you dont have a good time at this resort it is your fault and no one else's. The food was great, I highly recommend the Filet Mignon at the Bordeux ( guys just ask for 2 filets they are kind of small, they will give it to you) also the Seaside Grill has excellent Tritip Steak for lunch. Room service does take a while depending on when you order it and where your room is but who cares the food is still good. The World Cafe is about as good a breakfast buffett as you will find anywhere and for Italian food try Portafino's we had the Chicken Parmasain and it was great. The Japanese place was okay, we have a great place here in Augusta so we are kind of spoiled with that, make reservations to watch them cook or just show up and they will sit you anywhere. The beach was very nice we tried all the stuff which was included kayaking, snorkling, and the Hobie catamaran whcih were all very fun. I would recommend this place to any couple who is looking for some fun in the sun and spectacular views, my wife and I will defintely be back. Thanks to everyone at Secrets for giving my wife and I a honeymoon we will never forget.

3 Thank coachcooper
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!