“Could have been an Excellent”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Great 15 minute ride from the airport to resort. Property & beach were beautiful. Jerk chicken, fresh fruit & coconut carts near beach & pool were awesome! Breakfast buffet was spectacular, as well as, buffet at the poolside restaurant. The ocean view was great. Loved the spa & all the friendly, fun staff there. Only issue was restaurants in the evening seemed under staffed with waitstaff taking orders for food & drink plus cleaning tables seemed a little too much. However, all staff was friendly & helpful. Don't forget to take the nature walk or morning yoga next to the ocean - fantastic!

Room Tip: Did not take the "preferred" choice & had no complaints about our room with ocean view...
5  Thank jazanana
There are newer reviews for Secrets St. James Montego Bay

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We went for a special occasion. It was very nice, but let me share some details.

1) Skip the French restaurant onsite. It was HORRIBLE. Our stale, hard hot dog buns were NOT french bread - in any country.
2) The bathrobes advertised and promised, never arrived. And we paid the for the upgrade with a butler.
3) The private phone never arrived either - again, we were promised robes and a cell phone and neither ever arrived.

We did have maid service in the A.M. and the P.M. too, but our last night, they forgot us for the P.M. service.

You are NOT in the USA, do NOT expect the same level of "clean" in the hotel.

Aside from these issues, it was wonderful. If you go, eat at the Blue Mountain restaurant and have the goat dish. It is wonderful.

For the most part, the staff were very, very friendly, but a couple of them were flat out rude.

Be sure to take advantage of all the free activities like snorkeling, music and other events.

2  Thank ILChick
Reviewed July 8, 2014

When I read reviews, I like to get information that only recent visitors would know so I can make an informed decision about where to stay. When I read the reviews for St. James and Wild Orchid, I was a little confused, so I'm going to try to clear some things up. The two resorts are within the same complex - same gates, same pools, same beaches, same restaurants, same recreational opportunities. They have separate check-in lobbies and separate preferred clubs. You can go to any of the restaurants and bars regardless of where you stay, with the exception of the preferred clubs and pools, although I was only asked once all week if I was staying at the preferred club (I was).

If you stay in the St. James preferred club, you will be close to the fitness center and spa, but far (5-7 minute walk) to the restaurants (not a bad thing!). Yes, there is no door on the bathroom, but the potty and shower each have doors. The furniture is tired, but the bed comfortable. The preferred club has a nice little buffet on the bottom floor, so if you are going snorkeling (GO!!) at 9 am, you can get a quick bite and not have to walk all the way to the restaurant. We liked all the food with the exception of Blue Mountain. It was not a good representation of Jamaican food. The jerk chicken on the beach in the afternoons was much better.

We liked staying at one end of the resort - quiet pool, quiet rooms. Beautiful sunsets! We will definitely be back!!!

4  Thank JodiS5228
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This resort was worth every penny. It was a quiet and beautiful place to spend out honeymoon. The staff is beyond friendly. Our options for the pool or beach was really great to have. The food was great and I loved the fact that we could pick from various restaurants on the resort. We never left the resort and there was no need. A man with jerk chicken came around everyday and we would run to get in line it was so good. My only complaint was that there needs to be some type of air circulation in the elevator. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MicheleS609
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

First time to this resort. I've been to other all inclusive in Jamaica like riu and sunset Jamaica grande but this one is the best compared to to other ones! Pure luxury from the moment I got off the bus. Check in was quick and the bell boy took my suitcase to my room. Rooms are so nice, loved the shower head, the jacuzzi in the room and the view from the balcony is amazing and breathtaking facing the ocean and pool! I loved how someone serves you drinks from the beach or pool and don't miss the jerk chicken cart, fruit cart and coconut cart so good! They got free wifi but only worked in certain areas tho. Loved how they got free shuttle to margaritaville. I also loved how they have 8 different restaurants on property so you never get tired of eating the same thing every day! My fav was the Italian restaurant! I just hated how the food took so long to come. My fav bartender was ernel he was so nice and friendly and funny and knew what I wanted and made me a drink even if I couldn't decide what to get! I hated how the housekeeper came late to clean the rooms around 4pm. This is the best resort I've been to! I recommend this to everyone who want an adults only resort! Beautiful/gorgeous

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Chinadoll407
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked this holiday last minute as some friends were going for 2 weeks and we decided to join them just for a week. We travelled on May 23rd from Gatwick.
We booked the Mobay club meet and greet online before we went and it was the best money we have ever spent I thoroughly recommend it, we were the only ones on our flight and I think it was Elizabeth who met us before the arrivals queues and whisked us straight through security and customs, we collected out bags and was having an ice cold beer in the arrivals lounge within 20 minutes, some people were queuing at immigration for over an hour.
We have stayed at many all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean but this was our first visit to Jamaica. The hotel was very nice, we upgraded to the preferred club suites but it wasn't worth it, if you want to upgrade I would recommend the other side of the hotel the Wild Orchid as these preferred rooms were more secluded and seemed better. In our side there was nothing to stop anyone else using the pool and beach etc. the only time we were asked to show are room card was when we collected a towel and we could have easily picked up one of these from around the pool as they put clean ones out on the beds every morning. (You had a different colour towel if you were preferred).
The restaurants were very nice, and the service was excellent, though you only get 2 glasses of wine with your meal, if you wanted anymore you had to ask and it wasn't very forth coming. My favourite was the Sea Side grill at the pool in the St James section.
They were a few bars but what you will find after a short time is that they all have pianos apart from the beach bars and it did get a little monotonous after a time. The beach bars were nice but I would have preferred Caribbean music to the sport that was always being shown on the TV.
The beach was very narrow not a lot of room to move around. The beach club next door is part of the same group though it is not included in the all inclusive. One day whilst we were on our preferred section of the beach they came out and moved the rope between the 2 sides cutting our section in half due to the fact that they had over 200 people from a cruise ship coming to the beach club we were not happy and neither were a lot of other people. Also our resort is adults only but be warned you do get children at the beach club which could mean they are 10 feet away depending on where you are sitting on the beach.
The entertainment in the evening was quite good, though they do need to put the acts for the talent show on the main stage and not the side stage as you end up with a stiff neck.
Unfortunately we were there in rainy season (never again) and we had rain every day from 1pm until 4 or thereabouts so that meant every night we ended up sitting on wet seats outside the bars and at the restaurants if we wanted to sit outside.
I will go back to Jamaica again but not to this hotel, I will try another Secrets resort though, I have been recommended the one in Mexico.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views, lots of greener around the lower floor rooms so views will be block...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank poplarcons18
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Second time at this resort and once again they made us feel like family! We stayed at the resort for 9 days and it was well worth it. The food is STILL amazing, love the new jerk wing cart available in the evening outside of the Buffet. Just wanted to name a few employees who were exceptional and made our stay amazing! Pool staff Chrisna, Anjay, Leslie (St James Marlin Bar) and Owayne! If you see Owayne make sure you ask for the Owayne Me Crazy! Allando in the lobby is such a gentleman it was a pleasure to laugh with him in the evening and have drinks until it was time to close down! We will be returning for a third trip soon.

2  Thank CozmoLuxVacations
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!