“Best time ever!”

Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Best time ever!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I just returned from the Secrets St. James in Montego Bay. It was truly a 5 star resort! 5 Gourmet restaurants to choose from, swim up bars, room service included and fun people all around! Even know the resort is geared for couples, I ended up taking a friend last minute after discovering my husband's passport was expired (the day before we were to leave), and it was still a fun vacation! We met lots of other people and just had an all-around great time! I definitely am going to take my husband back so he can experience the beauty of both the resort and the people there.
While there, we also did an excursion to Mayfield Falls (organized through the resort), and I would also definitely recommend that excursion over some of the other waterfall tours (which are very touristy)- at Mayfield Falls you get a true feel of the Jamaican spirit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank gina l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,313)
  • Czech first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our Honeymoon destination could not have been better. Our every need was taken care of. the Staff were awesome, so happy to help us. We had a romantic meal for 2 and Robert our waiter was superb. The Spa Facilities at the resort were exceptional and the SPA staff were so good at their job, I found Stephanie was particularly helpful.
There is a fine selection of restaurants and the service was always fantastic. Food and Drink variety is second to none, and there is the opportunity to sample the local cuisine.
At night there were Tree frogs so perhaps bring earplugs if you're a light sleep this really helped me. thought I didn't notice after the first couple of nights. In June there was perhaps an hour of rain but this in no way impacted our holiday. All in all a great experience.

4 Thank IRLsteve
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed June 8, 2014

First of all, everyone in our group had a fantastic time. The food was amazing, most especially the breakfast buffet. We never had a meal we didn't like. The bell boys, check in staff and entertainment staff seemed to really enjoy their jobs and were exceptionally nice. The grounds were immaculate. They were very well kept and lush. Barrels of water stationed along the paths are a very nice touch. The resort is very nice.
Now on to the downside. I don't know what happened but we went with another couple celebrating their anniversary. Somehow, they got rose petals for their last night and we didn't. Also, I wouldn't say our room was exceptionally clean. I saw a number of hairs in our room upon first entering. One in the bath tub, some around sink, a few on the floor. Don't know if the maid was shedding or floor wasn't swept. Definitely weren't ours, though. Didn't tell husband or he would have been grossed out. Furthermore, there was a serious lack of wait staff around pool, breakfast and lunch buffet, beach, and bar at night. Took us forever to get drinks at beach. And the poor waitress that waited on us acted like she would have preferred to be anywhere other than there waiting on us. Couple of times for lunch and breakfast we didn't have silverware and it took some searching to find someone to get us some. Forget trying to order a drink at the night time bar. As one gentleman said to me, it is hard to get drunk around here. Will say busboys did excellent job keeping water filled and plates cleared.
As for entertainment, I fear we were greatly misled. We picked this resort based on their advertising that they had Vegas style shows in an amphitheater type location. Never once did we see any show advertised except Thor the movie on a big screen at the Coffee shop area. As for the 3 guy boy band that did play one night, yikes! Furthermore, don't be fooled by the night club. It reeks of mildew as does the casino and both are not to be taken seriously. Band stops playing at 10:30pm, be warned. I can't help but think that Secrets had tons advertised on their website for things to do like Eurobungee but once we got there I didn't see or hear one iota about it.
For people looking for a nice expanse of beach, don't come here. Although beautiful, actual beach is quite small and so seating is pretty crammed together.
All this being said, it is a newer resort so everything is nice and new. With a few tweaks, Secrets would definitely be amazing.
*Had some sort of alarm clock in room, never did quite figure out how to use it.
* Daily list of activities was very helpful.

Room Tip: Do get a second floor or higher or you may have Peacocks visiting.
3 Thank Hope G
Chicago, United States
Reviewed June 7, 2014

From May 6th-May 13th I took a solo trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica. I had always wanted to go and wanted to treat myself for my 40th Birthday. The Secrets St. James was suggested to me by a friend and he loved it. I took a chance, did a little research and hoped for the best. By this being my first solo trip and my first time in Jamaica I didn't know what to expect but I was excited none the less. Upon arrival I was greeted by the airport transfer service paid for through my Delta Airline Vacation Package. I was taken to the hotel where I was greeted by a friendly bellhop by the name of RODERICK who instructed me to leave my bags with him as he escorted me into the hotel where there were beautiful dark hardwood floors, dark wood covering some of the walls, and comfy couches to sit. He asked me if I would like a glass of Champagne while I waited to be checked in. As I sipped my Champagne, check-in was easy but I had to wait a bit because there are only three check in desks. The other two desks were for concierge and booking activities. RODERICK showed me to my room which was just as nice, huge comfy bed, nice view, fully stocked wet bar, and nice bathroom. I thought the curtain separating your bedroom from your bathroom was a little strange but since I was alone, I didn't have a privacy issue. About 3 days into my stay my shower started to leak huge puddles. I reported this to a front desk person who blew it off and gave me a bit of attitude. This could not be tolerated so I asked the concierge ANTONETTE what happened and asked to speak to a Supervisor. After a few calls ANTONETTE located a Supervisor by the name of KEVIN. I explained my great disappointment with what had occurred and he immediately apologized and upgraded my room to a beautiful Ocean View Suite. It was gorgeous!!! The rest of my stay was great! The food was awesome! I especially loved these restaurants; Himitsu, Portofino, Bordeaux, Blue Mountain and World Cafe. The daily itinerary with all the goings on for the day was handy to have. I caught a great cooking class, with CASSIE and learned how to make jerk fish on the grill, and I also make a few bracelets in another class. All this while sipping on a daily drink special..my favorite was the Jamaica Delight! As with all places there were some unpleasant staff members as well as other vacationers but I didn't let them ruin my trip. If you are a woman travelling alone, beware of all the Jamaican men trying to talk to you. I laughed it off most of the time and promised to meet most of them at Margaritaville which I never went LOL! The ladies in Concierge really hassle you about the time share program they had which became annoying after a few days, I had a great time but would probably try another resort during my next visit to Jamaica. CAN'T FORGET!!!LOVED THE JERK CHICKEN CART, FRESH FRUIT CART, COCONUT WATER MAN, AND THE BURGERS AT (SEASIDE GRILL?) YUMMY!!

Room Tip: Go for the corner Ocean Suites on the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Cassandra A R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is the perfect resort to visit with your partner to celebrate a special occasion. The resort is obviously geared towards couples and makes every effort to enhance romance. From the double loungers and hammocks sprinkled around the grounds to a bonfire and dancing on the beach. You can even arrange for a private dinner complete with candles and torches in you own personal gazebo overlooking the ocean. I would highly recommend this resort to any looking for a romantic getaway with outstanding service. The entire staff makes every effort to make you feel welcomed and comfortable. Even though every employee was exceptional from the maids to wait staff I would like to say a special thank you to Renee at the front desk. She was so warm and caring and it was her " pleasure" to always help with whatever. She truly is a special person.
I would definitely consider returning to this piece of paradise on earth!

Room Tip: All rooms have some ocean view St James side of resort is the quite side
7 Thank Toronto1995
Warmington, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Wonderful hotel. Excellent food and attentive staff. Rooms were of a very high standard. Would definately go back. Congratulations to the entertainment staff who did a great job especially Alex. Look out for Leo round the pool he is full of character and keeps you amused

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynne H
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Thanks for having visited our resort and also, for taking the time to share your kind review. I am happy to note that you enjoyed the resort, especially our entertainment and was well entertained by one of our beloved bartenders, Leo.

Looking forward to welcoming you back Home!

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed for a full 8 days here and overall had a wonderful experience. We picked this resort because we also love the Secrets resorts and have been to the Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana. My BF and I love to snorkel and we enjoyed waking up every morning and snorkeling directly from the hotel- we saw so many different fish. Lots of starfish, balloon fish, etc and this was amazing for us. The width of the beach is skinny and a little more rocky than other beaches in the Caribbean. The pools were on the louder side, lots of music, games etc. It would have been nice to have 1 quiet pool to go to as an option without having to upgrade to the preferred level- which we thought was ridiculous to pay more for. We're mainly beachy people so we spend most days on the lounge chairs under the palm trees, occasionally going on a snorkeling adventure. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service. The people in Jamaica were so friendly and they really made this resort. We loved the staff and really felt they cared in making sure we were happy. We did try to plan one excursion but had to cancel b/c I was sick, which they wanted me to see the nurse and get a note, which was $30 and I don't need a nurse to tell me I'm not feeling well. We rescheduled instead for the following day and none the less no one showed up to pick us up- it was a mix-up so we got our money back and returned back to the beach and pool- not complaining because we really enjoyed lounging around all week. It was an effortless wonderful and special week for us. We also have the reggae on repeat back in NYC! :)

Room Tip: We had a ground floor which we liked because of its convenience. We didn't feel it was worth it...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!