“Would never return - ruined honeymoon”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Would never return - ruined honeymoon”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We spent our honeymoon here, arriving on Boxing Day for 14 nights. There were problems right from the start and just kept continuing. The hotel is definitely not worthy of a 5 star. I can't possibly list everything but here are some of the problems we encountered. Our honeymoon wasn't recognised until we had to end up pointing it out to them (which was most upsetting when we were passing other room doors with their 'banners' on them). We had 3 different rooms, that was after we paid to upgrade but didn't get what was promised. After 3 days and entering the 3rd room we decided enough was enough and stayed put (we did eventually get our upgrade cost back after much dispute but who wants this hassle especially when on a honeymoon that cost over £5k). The room we settled in - toilet tank loose on wall, safe not working, telephone not working, shower leaking, cleanliness definitely not 5* standard, no bathrobes or slippers. Our towels were repeatedly taken away and not replaced, one day we had to wait over one hour for replacements. They have a 'secrets box' where they would leave your room service food, then you would leave your leftovers/dirty dishes in the box to be collected. On one occasion we had leftover food and dishes left in there for at least 36 hours, even though we contacted the reception several times for them to be removed. On New Years Eve we had to reserve a sitting in the restaurant of our choice. When we arrived there was no table for us and they wanted us to go elsewhere, I insisted they get us a table which they eventually did. When we came to ordering our meal, they had 'run out' of both the starter and main that we wanted. Another ruined celebration! Before we even left there I vowed that we would book another honeymoon. We have just returned from 10 nights in Spain which was 1/5th of the cost and had a wonderful time. I have stayed in several 5* hotels and travelled much of the world. My advice to you - Leave this hotel well alone!!!

Room Tip: Don't even go there to start with
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank gp2312

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,367)
  • Czech first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 27, 2014

It was great to have another opportunity to experience this resort. This was the first place I stayed in Jamaica which set the bar extremely high in terms of accommodations. I've stayed in several places across the island over the years and none have compared to Secrets St. James. This was my second stay, booked online, and check-in was a breeze. Arrived early and only had to wait 10 minutes for the room to be ready. Awesome! The room was amazing with a view of the ocean and pool area and nice size Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. It was an open feel to the bathroom with the mesh curtain to separate the bath space from sleeping area. Not much privacy with this kind of room, however it works for a couple or single traveler. The first room I stayed in had a wall and frosted glass that separated bath and sleeping area which works better for family/friend travel.
I enjoyed the peacefulness of the balcony which was outfitted with decent furniture and very clean. The breakfast buffet was impressive with many options. Of course I had to revisit the Japanese restaurant which did not disappoint! I relished in the Jamaican sun on the beach for several hours. Beach was not crowded and chairs were readily available and this made for a pleasant experience. Staff and Service are top notch. Entertainment was great as well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Tequila M
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

This resort went above and beyond my expectations. I have never experience the level of customer service that this resort provides ever in my travels.
The beds are heaven, the food is great, the resort grounds are beautiful.
The workers seem genuinely happy to help you and concerned that everything is ok. One worker would not even let me move my own umbrella because I was on vacation. One night we even had a worker notice we were outside on the patio drinking and without even asking he brought us up some rum! And we were five floors up!
This resort serves every kind of drink you can think of and every kind of food you can think of. And the 24 hr room service comes in handy after a long day of doing excursions or If the "nap" ended up being hours long.
If you visit make sure you visit Godfrey and Christna at the swim up bar. What fantastic bar tenders! I didn't even have to ask and my drink was refilled every time I turned around. They made us feel like friends and I will miss the daily conversations with these guys.
And above all my favourite St James employee was Simone, a waitress at the pool. Thank you for always looking out for us an making sure we got good seats and good drinks. You are the best! Thank you for making my trip that much more memorable and special!
My ONLY issue with this resort is that they do not let you do late check outs, we even offered to pay and they still would not. I can understand that other customers were probably coming in behind us but when we arrived at 8pm we had to wait about a hour to get our room. But that was my only issue.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank KellyN82
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to be of service to you and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and we are so very happy that we were able to meet your expectations. As we have a very active and rewarding staff recognition program, we do appreciate that you have highlighted individuals who had a positive impact on the quality of your stay. I have taken the liberty of sharing your review with our Human Resources Department so that their files can be duly updated.

I do apologize that your check out experience was not as you would have liked and we are grateful that despite your late check in, you afforded us consideration and understanding in this instance.

Once again our many thanks and we do trust that we will have the pleasure to be of service to you on a future visit.

Caulette Mornan
Social Networking/eConcierge
econcierge.sesmb@secretsresorts.com
Hays, Kansas
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Secrets was the most amazing experience! Everything was perfect! The staff was wonderful! Judiene at the shopping place was the sweetest, most helpful employee! She always had good recommendations for us and taught us a little bit more about the language and culture. Everything was clean and the food was great! I especially likes the Jamaican patties at the barefoot :)

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jlvandi
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2weeks in April,everywhere was immaculately clean,every member of staff was exceptionally friendly,(allando,in the lobby bar our favourite)the food was lovely and every drink was available,we had room service twice and was very nice and food was hot each time,my husband used the dive centre for his scuba diving and he says Clive was most helpful,our room was perfect,very spacious and again clean,the maid came every day and do did turn down,we didn't do the upgrade and am so glad we didn't,you really don't need it,we had a look at preferred pool and beach section,we never had a problem getting beds on either beach or pool in normal section,waiter service at both was good too,the hotel is a short drive from the airport( 10mins)check in and check out were rapid,do not listen to the moaners who put bad reviews on trip,I could find nothing wrong with this hotel and definitely couldn't see what they talking about,this hotel had everything for a indulgent holiday,I used the spa twice,once for a facial and once for a massage and it was very good,if you're considering secrets then go you won't be disappointed

7 Thank Donna Y
Essex
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I will begin by saying that I enjoyed my holiday here. I have rated the hotel as very good and am mostly explaining in my review why I haven't rated it as excellent. This isn't intended to be negative in any way, it is simply an explanation.

The transfer time from the airport is quick and the front of the hotel is very pretty with trees, flowers and fountains. The gardens and grounds surrounding the resort are immaculately maintained too. I saw hummingbirds, lizards and butterflies when walking about most days. There are resident peacocks and parrots too.

I did not have a great experience checking in. After a 9 hour flight and several hours queued in the airport, waiting for 50 minutes for someone to assist us without the offer of a cool towel or a drink was not what I expected. During the rest of my stay, I rarely encountered poor service and found that everyone was friendly, happy and accommodating. Even the early morning cleaning, gardeners, security and maintenance staff were smiling and often singing as they went about their work.

My 'standard' room on the first floor of building 3 was, for me, ideally located and had a great sea view. It is some distance away from all of the restaurants and entertainment (found at the other side of the 'wild orchid' part of resort). Several people I spoke to had issues with this and asked to me moved/paid for an upgrade in order that they were moved. The room had 2 queen sized beds and all the other 'features' publicised. The shower door leaked onto the floor and the ipod dock/tv needed repairing as they didn't work properly and one of the basins had a hairline crack. Overall I would say that the room could do with a little TLC but none of what I have mentioned was a big deal to us. The AC was very effective and most welcome at the end of the day and there was a light that you could use to request privacy which I discovered by mistake when I had switched it on in the night instead of the lamp and, not realising, returned to my room at around 6 to find it as I left it. Oops! At least my request was respected! I did have to call and ask for my room to be refreshed on one occasion as I returned to it at 5.30 and the maid had not been. They came within 20 minutes and sorted it out.

The non preferred pool areas were too noisy for my liking (partying/pool games/entertainment program) and as I did not wish to upgrade and my partner does not like to sit at the beach I could find no escape. The looped playlist of, at times, very loud music (also not to my taste) will haunt me for weeks. On one occasion the 'pool closed for cleaning' sign stayed on place until 10am. As I was outside from 6.15 every day this was not ideal (and yes I could/did use the sea). The pools were lovely - clean and just the right depth/temperature. There were plenty of beds (if only people didn't reserve them and then 'disappear' for hours and hours) and if you didn't find yourself arriving poolside after cruise ship guests arrived for a day visit.

The beach area was kept very clean and seaweed was raked and buried every morning. The included activities were as advertised and all of the staff in the Captains Watersports team were friendly and helpful. The 'included' snorkel tour each day was one of my favourite activities and I also enjoyed the cookery and Patois classes. Cheers to Dennyroy and Tayan. Wished I had found time for a cycle tour and nature walk but alas, I was just too relaxed.

We ate/drank in all of the restaurants available to 'non preferred guests' and found the menu choices in a couple of the restaurants quite limited. The food and service were generally OK/good but not exceptional. The biggest disappointment to us in this area is that every piece of literature we read stated that there was a dress code for evening dining - tailored shorts, long trousers, collared shirts and no sandals for men. This was not enforced and we dined with people wearing printed t shirts, flip flops and swim shorts.

Our favourite meal was in the Mexican and our favourite waitress Carlene. I was surprised that there was no table service at the pool bars as I have never stayed at an all inclusive hotel where I have had to queue at the bar to be served. We didn't ever have any problems being seated at our chosen venue although areas were occasionally unavailable due to private functions/conference guest meetings. I was often unable to have my first choice of drink due to unavailability of an ingredient eg mint for a mojito, bananas for daiquiri etc and there is no 'house' rose wine so it is red, white or buy a bottle from the wine list. The majority of spirits in the pool bars are non branded and no bottled beers are available. Ice cream and coffee was available from the coco cafe during the day.

The ice filled barrels of bottled water dotted about the resort is a great idea.

My biggest 'negative' about the resort is that wi-fi access is chargeable unless you are a 'preferred' guest. In the last 5 years I have not stayed in any hotel (even a low cost/budget chain) where you do not get some access to the web included, be it limited by time e.g 30 minutes per 24 hours, location eg in the lobby zone/at a hotel pc. At a luxury resort to get nothing unless you pay is a real turn off and I personally think that $15 dollars a day (for 3 devices) is a bit steep.

I would be unlikely to pay what I did to return to this hotel as I believe that others offer far better value and are more suited to my own taste. I did have a good holiday though.

Room Tip: View from some first floor rooms is obscured by trees
4 Thank Sun_Seeker_dot_com
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I would highly recommend St.James ,my husband is from Ja but we wanted to travel as tourist we are happy we did, I am happy we chose Secrets. Let me tell you from the time we arrived to check-out the staff could not have been any nicer. Front Desk staff can't say enough nice things about them. Special shut-outs to Marcia one of the supervisor and Tiahna . We thought the food was good but being Jamaican's we would have loved more authentic Jamaican food. The staff in the World Cafe' thumbs up, special shut-out to Lorenzo who I called slim;). And yes do bring small bills we had 150 1dollar bills, we left a dollar ever day for the maid, and we tip the waiter's everyday as well. You will receive a flyer everyday called the Sundial which was very informative, it also had the Drink of the Day listed. We will be back!!

Room Tip: The only reason sleep Quality is vg is because of those beautiful peacock's they are noisy. cle...
3 Thank Janet M
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!