“Awesome Vacation...”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed at Secret St James week of Jan 23-30 2014... Awesome resort !! Staff are amazing & very friendly... We had a smooth and fast check-in, considering we arrived 4 hours later due to mechanical problems with our flight....Sigh ( a very long story) !!! Our room was very nice # 3428 great view of the pool and beach... The only thing I missed was the Beautiful sunsets, didn't see any of the sunsets because of the mountains !! Disappointing :(... The grounds are very well kept the resort was so very clean... Our favorite restaurant was the Asian we booked for the show cooking table and Marlo was our chef he did an amazing job... Very funny guy !! We went back a second night and ordered from the menu very pleased....The breakfast buffet was something else really enjoyed that... Fresh fruit was delicious !!! Love the Coco Coffee Corner and the deserts there were beyond delicious Banana Bread square with cream cheese topping...Boy I'm still drooling just thing about them... The Jamaica coffee was enjoyed every morning too !!! The entertainment was top notch.. The Silver Birds a steel drum band played 1 night on the outside stage, they travelled the world and won 208 gold medals.. Awesome group.!! The piano bar was great entertainment and boy he could play anything !!! The beach was very nice but we spent most of out time at the pool .... Now wait service there was top-notch... Our waitress Erica was something else... never had to wait for a drink... Love her always had a smile on her face... I miss her already... LOL Well her and the drinks..... Will we go back ---absolutely !!! I almost forgot the JERK CHICKEN CART OMG a must for everyone to try.....

6  Thank capermom
There are newer reviews for Secrets St. James Montego Bay

Reviewed February 6, 2014

STOP! If you are traveling to Montego Bay, Jamaica look no further that Secret's St James. This all-inclusive resort is hands down, without a doubt the BEST resort my wife and I have ever stayed at. It's very rare that one could travel and stay in a hotel for 7 days and walk away with NO COMPLAINTS. The staff and service at Secrets is unbelievable. Anything you want, you got it should be there motto because that's how it goes there. Everyone is always so friendly and wanting to help make your experience at their resort the best if can be. While everyone at Secrets was awesome we did have a few favorites. In the morning, we would eat at the World Cafe' where the most awesome human being named "Orlado" was a server. "Orlado" would always greet us with a smile and actually sang to my wife and I on two separate mornings. My wife thought he was the sweetest and I appreciated him making our honeymoon all the more speacial. Along with his surprisingly GREAT voice, he was a great server too. In addition to "Orlado" we would also like to acknowledge "Marlon" who was our chef at the Habachi grill on property. What an entertaining guy and a great cook. "Marlon" was always friendly, laughing and in an upbeat mood. We actually ate at the Habachi twice because of him. Our room housekeeper was also very sweet, I wish I could remember her name right now so she could get the credit as well. Either way, you could see that everything was fantastic....SERVICE, FOOD TASTE, FOOD QUALITY, DRINKS, ACTIVITIES, JERK CHICKEN CART, SWIM UP BAR, SERVICE (DID i ALREADY SAY THAT? HAHA BECAUSE IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD) Thank you Secrets St James for the unforgettabe experience!

Room Tip: No room is a bad room. I couldn't even begin to choose which room is right for you, there are t...
6  Thank Cory Cruzy C
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I would love to have given this hotel 5* but unfortunately the trouble we had in obtaining basic maintenance service to our room sorely let the hotel down.
Our safe registered low battery as we were leaving for dinner in the evening and when I spoke to Reception I was told it was a two-man job and I would need to book an appt. for the morning. I suggested 8 a.m. the following morning and this was agreed. Over a period of 45 minutes I made several telephone calls to Reception asking when the maintenance man was going to attend, each time being told he was on his way. When he eventually arrived at 8.45 a.m. he told me that it was NOT a two man job at all and it could easily have been done the night before. He said he had come as soon as he had been told to attend.

The day after arrival my husband slipped in water which had leaked from the shower into the room entrance. The water had not been obvious as the area was dark. We reported this to Reception and was told that it was probably due to a worn seal on the shower cubicle. We thought the problem had been sorted out as we did not have any further problems until about day 12. This time it was myself who slipped in the water and fell flat on my back. Luckily only my pride was hurt but I again reported the leak to Reception. On the day of our leaving my husband again slipped in water from the shower. By this time we were very worried that someone else could be badly injured through this water seepage and asked to see the Maintenance Manager. He was very apologetic and said that they had been unable to find a fault in the shower but he would check it again.
I would suggest that when using the rain shower, that perhaps it would be adviseable not to have it on full power, although one would have thought that one should have been able to do this without a leakage occurring.

Please take care if using the shower in room 3329. Otherwise this room is in a wonderful position overlooking the pool and the ocean.
The hotel has wonderful food and entertainment. Make sure you go to Lobster Night on Saturday at the World Cafe Restaurant. This is the only evening when this restaurant is open, the rest of the week it becomes half the Carribean Restaurant and half the Mexican Restaurant.
Our favourite restaurant was the French (Bordeaux) very relaxed but still feels a bit special. The Italian Restaurant, although serving wonderful (though huge portions) is rather slow and rather noisy. Well it was while we were there.

There were a lot of corporate groups from America during our two weeks, one with almost 400 people, which spoilt the wonderful restful atmosphere we were expecting for a 'couples hotel.'

Make sure you take an umbrella as there wasnt an umbrella in our room.
We were unlucky to have rather a lot of rain as we appeared to be receiving the leftovers of the American/Canadian snow.

We enjoyed the trip to Johns Hall Plantation - take some sweets or whatever else for the adorable children in the Primary School which is part of the visit.

Two couples told me that they had taken a taxi to Margaritaville in the morning at a cost of $60. Both couples said that they had felt very intimidated by sellers when they alighted from the taxi and they said it would have been better to find out when the cruise ship was in port so there would be other people around to take away the harrassment. They said it was not worth the price and would not suggest doing it.

Take US dollars as it is very expensive to change into Jamaican currency at the Cambio at the hotel. There is an ATM in Arrivals in the airport which dispenses US dollars at a $5 charge for $200. That is the most you can get in one procedure.There is also an ATM in the hotel, again at a charge of $5.

Go to the Jamaican cookery class. It is very informative and the national dish which they cook is really tasty.

Try Keir Royale, a mixture of champagne and Cassis. I could never tire of it.

All in all a wonderful hotel once they get their maintenance problems sorted out.

Room Tip: Room 3329 very quiet and in a good position but watch out for the shower leakage in the hallway.
5  Thank Derrick w
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I recently returned from a rejuvenating 6 night stay at Secrets St. James, Montego Bay. This was a cousins trip and boy did they impress us! Here is a brief review of the relaxing, idyllic vacation that I just enjoyed with my family. Prior to our arrival I corresponded with Karla, the Executive Assistant to Mr. Emilio Huhn (GM) about some specific details of our trip. Karla (And Emilio) were gracious, thoughtful and prompt with their responses. When we arrived at the hotel, we were notified that we had been upgraded to an Ocean Front Suite. We sat down for lunch and when we returned to reception after lunch, we were informed that we had been upgraded yet again to the Preferred Club at Secrets St. James. Our jaws dropped when we were whisked away to the private entrance and saw what they had in store for us! After a quick tour we settled into our GORGEOUS room. Every little ting is gonna be alright! Off we went, spending most of our days relaxing beach and pool side. Food is both plentiful and accessible. When you've felt like you've had too much too eat or drink (which will inevitably happen during your stay) there are a couple of different ways to shake it off- water aerobics, yoga and meditation or a quick hop over to the gym. You can also go sweat it out in the sauna/steam room at the spa which also has an amazing indoor whirlpool, open all day long. We initially booked our vacation for just a long weekend, however, when we were there our flight and 3,500 other flights across North America were cancelled for days. We were worried we wouldn't have a place to stay, but, Mr. Huhn and the wonderfully accommodating Front Desk team ensured we were accommodated and kept us in our very same room! Inevitably there are always tiny hiccups when traveling abroad, but the success of a hotel is measured in the way they handle these incidents. Like our cancelled flight. When our safe wasn't working, they had an engineer up in a matter of minutes to sort it out for us. Above all, we were most touched by their incredible staff- what hard working, genuine, friendly, charismatic individuals who are phenomenal brand ambassadors- we became closest to Omar on the maintenance team, what an all star. We finished every night attending the entertainment and live music programs, fabulous. But the real pièce de résistance is finishing the night at The Piano Bar for the Sing Along with Andre. Andre is a GEM although he does not work for Secrets he is there 7 days a week singing and spreading good cheer to guests from all over the world. He is an absolute star, you must go see him and tell him Rachel says hi! We loved all of the staff, too many names to count but were most touched by Omar and Andre. All in all- a remarkable vacation with memories that we will cherish forever! P.S. If you do go off property, head to Scotchies for fabulous authentic Jerk!

Room Tip: Corner rooms, top floor. Splurge for the preferred club if you can- it's worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank RachelSoleil
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed on the St. James side Jan. 25th to Feb. 1st - (regular) not Preferred. I traveled with a girlfriend & guy friend - so I roomed with my gal pal and our male counter-part was in his own room. I only mention this because for the first time ever I noticed a difference of service. I normally travel with my husband, or all girlfriends, read on for details. Overall I liked Secrets St. James/Wild Orchid very much (we had some pretty fabulous weather), and it is a beautiful location. Here's some tips and observations. Tipping is openly acceptable and appreciated (I know it's All Inclusive) but I just believe in tipping. One of our gang said tipping was not allowed or frowned on at Sandals Jamaica and that they could lose their job for accepting tips. That is not the case here, in fact it's customary and I believe the workers look for the tips. Not a problem for me, but some people don't like that. The food: I thought the food was pretty good for A/I although we did experience 1 poor meal at El Patio (the beef fajitas), but the salad and soup was great. So, I have to say, it's not the best I've had, but pretty darn good. The Room Numbers: We stayed in Room 3324, this is confusing at 1st but really easy: It's the third building, the third floor & Room 24. So the first number is the building, then the floor, then the room. We had a fabulous view. I prefer going up as opposed to ground level, so if you like a view, go for the 3rd or 4th floor. I walked over to the Preferred side and I have to say, they had these really cool pool sun shade things you could lay out in and their pool looked very nice, and it was very quiet over there, you also get a tub on your patio and a place where they serve snacks (not sure at what time of day), so if you can afford it, you may want to upgrade. For me I was perfectly fine with the regular side. The Piano Bar: All the fun stuff happens on the Wild Orchid side, the restaurants and the piano bar and entertainment. The Piano Bar was a blast and when we weren't singing around the piano, they had live small music acts outside on a small stage area. They also have a disco type bar and had karaoke 2 nights we were there - it was fun. Kayaks & Sailing: You just have to go to the water sport office, sign a release, they give you a ticket & you go down by the guys by the boats/kayaks. There are shoals or rock, so just use caution, it's not that deep until you get out a ways. That was fun & good exercise (kayaks). My 2 favorite staff members were Richard at the swim-up bar and Erica (pool waitress), they were fun, friendly and did a great job. What didn't I like: No WIFI without a fee, the maid service was not very good, but we did have 3 days that it was great once a younger gal got on our floor, prior to that, it was poor and we tipped. But our mini-bar person was fantastic, we had tons of bottled water, which is good after being in the sun all day. We just left a note as to what we wanted and tipped and there it was. We didn't get turn down service until our 3rd night after I complained. Frankly I don't care about someone turning down my bed, I just like fresh towels and they only gave us enough for 1 shower each a day & then we were out of towels. Our friend who stayed on the 4th floor had turn down service every night, towel art, fresh towels a bottle of wine with cheese his first night (we got fruit), so I guess I got my nose out of joint because he got much better service. But heck, we came to Jamaica to enjoy the outside and that we certainly did. One other peeve, the alcohol did not seem very strong. Did you know Red Stripe Light is only 3.6%, so if you want a little buzz go for the regular Red Stripe. I understand they don't want a bunch of drunks drowning in the pool or acting like imbeciles so the booze is not the strongest. You can ask for call brands by the piano bar or lobby bars. We still had some great drinks and met great people and just hung out and relaxed and read books. The grounds are clean and beautiful, it's a nice place. Would I return? Maybe - there's so many other places I'd like to experience. One thing I noticed that stood out (not with Richard or Erica) but with some of the lobby staff and a few of the wait staff, they seem to defer to men more and ignore women. I hate to say this but it was the women employees I noticed this with (not the men - they were more outgoing and friendly). I've never experienced this before, perhaps its a cultural thing, and it wasn't horrible, just odd. Overall, we had a very good time with some minor glitches.

Room Tip: At St. James all rooms face West (towards the ocean). Views start on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank bjtours
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Went to Jamaica on 26th Dec 2013 for 2 weeks. Originally booked Royalton White Sands which was useless and moved to Secrets St James. Loved everything about it. We upgraded our room and it was great. Restaurants were very good, lots of choice, good food, good service and no waiting more than a couple of mins for a table. The beach was amazing, no shortage of sunbeds either on the beach or by the pool. Drinks served all day. FAB. The staff were all very friendly, Jamaican's have a great sense of humour, lovely people. Have been to Antigua and Barbados but this was better! Have booked to return this New Year but at Secrets Wild Orchid as booked with Virgin and they don't sell Secrets St James. Its just one resort using same restaurants etc, if this NY is a good as last it will be amazing!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam200
Reviewed February 5, 2014

For anyone that is trying to decide where to go on their honeymoon, I highly recommend here. They treat you like absolute gold. You get R&R and fun all in one. Food, service, just everything is excellent! The property is absolutely beautiful and very, very well taken care of. The spa is absolutely amazing, highly recommend taking advantage of that. If you can spring the extra few bucks, I would say get a room in the Preferred Club. The amenities that come with it are absolutely worth it. If you can get a Master Suite, you will enjoy the professionalism of some amazing butlers. Dalton and Patrick of St. James are great and tend to everyone of your needs. When everyone says they tend to your needs, they are not kidding. THEY REALLY DO!

The restaurants were absolutely fantastic. The food is great with a wide variety of cuisines to choose from; French, Italian, Japanese/Hibachi, Mexican. You name it they have it.

Overall, this is the best value for anyone willing to spend just a little more. I would definitely recommend booking roundtrip transportation to and from the airport.

In any case, if you decide to go you will not regret it -- prepare to feel at home and like gold!

Room Tip: GO PREFERRED, If you have spring for a master suite, or even the Presidential Suite, DO IT!! you wil...
1  Thank Ilan S
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!