Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We went to celebrate our birthdays and we had an AMAZING experience. The resort is intimate and the people were so warm and welcoming. We were in room 4219 on the St.James Preferred Club section. Christene S checked us in. She made us feel like we were home away from home while maintaining professionalism. We developed strong bonds with Christene S and Petrona "the butler". We would spend a lot of time in the lobby having discussions with Christene, Deidre, Petrona, Nalini, and ChrisAnn along with a lot of jokes too. When we arrived in our room we were blown away. The layout was amazing. The King size bed was soooo comfortable and the swan and rabbit designs that Patrick made for our bed was gorgeous. We arrived at night and we loved the room and were anxious to wake up the next morning to see what the resort looked like in daylight. We were not disappointed in the least. The view from the balcony was breathtaking. Preferred Pool and Beach for days. Patrick "the butler" was also supurb and elevated our exerience as well. The food was amazing. Our favourite restaurants were the French and the Japanese restaurant. We kept missing the jerk chicken cart that would walk around from 11-3pm. We finally experienced it the day we were leaving. It was worth the wait. We met a bell boy name Jeremy aka "Biggie Smalls" and he helped us with our bags when we arrived. He was cool and took good care of us. My husband and I would go back in a heart beat. The structures were amazing.The entertainment was ok. They need more entertainment and I would have loved it if the entertainment lasted past 11pm. The selection of treats at the preferred were pretty good to have.We booked a service at the spa and our jaws dropped at the sight of the spa. The spa looked better than most spas we had seen in the past. The spa service was amazing. We felt rejuvenated. Our travel agent Dian Philips directed us to the right place. I did the research but she gave us that extra push to go to Secrets St. James and we loved being on the quieter side of the resort. The hot tubs and pools were great and the jacuzzi in the room and rain showers were an added bonus. The step up jacuzzi on the balcony was wonderful and well utilized. The bed slippers provided by Secrets were really comfy. The lighting in the bathroom was a little too dim for putting on makeup but the double sink was something I wish I had at my own home. They were right when they said that this resort is UNLIMITED-LUXURY. I certainly luxuriated in all the amenities. I can't even say enough good things about this resort and I don't think anything can top this experience we had at Secrets. We were in good hands and I relish in the fact that we now have a few great friend and we have already spoken to Christene since we returned to Canada plus we have sent her pictures we all took together on the resort. Our stay was short but sweet. We would go back NOW. We had a love fest with the staff and will never forget them and their hospitality and the laughter will forever echo in our memories. I would recommend Secrets to any and everyone.

3  Thank Natasha C
Write a ReviewReviews (6,566)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is the best resort in Jamaica. Service is great, food is great and staff is great. You will be amazed. I would travel here again all the time. The beach is beautiful. The weather was great. Fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank William W
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We went to celebrate an anniversary and meet old college friends. We were greeted by Nalini who helped salvage poor booking by a travel agent. She did everything she could to fix the situation and make our trip better than expected. This was our second trip and not the last! Nordia (uvc) eas so pleasant, made sure our anniversary was recognized and went out of her way to help with spa and dinner bookings. Greeted us by name every day! The food is fantastic and fun! Drinks are well made and plentiful. Beds super comfy. We will be booking directly next time to avoid the travel agent screw ups.

Room Tip: Request 3rd or 4th floor for best ocean view. Recommend booking directly.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Let me say we have been to Jamaica many times but mostly stay in Negril. Since Secrets is so close to the airport we thought we would try it out. It is nice to get off the plane and be on the beach within an hour!

We stayed in the St. James Preferred Club room, 4409. It is a beautiful view off the balcony. See pictures below. We enjoyed the amenities of the preferred club. It was nice to have breakfast, lunch or dinner in the Preferred Club area if we didn't feel like walking over to the restaurants since they are located on the far other end of the property. One night it was pouring down rain and yes you do have to walk outside to get to the restaurants so having another option was nice. We also enjoyed the open bar and fixings. Very convenient!

The king size bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in Jamaica. For some reason the beds tend to be a bit on the firm side, but not at Secrets. We didn't use the jacuzzi tub in the room or on the balcony but if we had stayed longer I'm sure we would have. The shower was WONDERFUL! I loved the larger shower head, like a rain shower. It is nice to have 2 sinks also. The only thing missing was the lighting was a bit subdued when trying to put on makeup. But no worries you are in Jamaica!

I was really expecting average all inclusive food, but I was pleasantly surprised. We are foodies and we were very happy. The highlights: the jerk chicken from the cart at the beach is a MUST. Very good. We had dinner in the Blue Mountain restaurant and really enjoyed it. My husband had the oxtails and I had the escoveitch fish. The pumpkin soup was also very good.

Ok so the beach isn't as nice as Negril's 7 mile beach, but it was still very nice and the water was beautiful with a nice sandy bottom. It is a narrow beach but ample room for all the nice lounge chairs, plus there are 4 pools to choose from as well. The only thing missing was the floats on the beach. I guess I could have carried one down from the pool area, but maybe they don't allow? Not sure. Since this property is on a peninsula you don't have any vendors walking on the beach selling you stuff.

If you are looking for an adults only property with good food, very nice rooms, employees that are friendly and attentive, and a good beach then you will be happy here.

3  Thank tikihutmom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Well, we just got back from Secrets at St. James, and we cannot say enough wonderful things about the people, and the place. Most important, the people are spectacular. From Caulette in Admin who answered questions by email before we got there, to Natalya who checked us in, to Andrea who was our RCI/VIP representative, the administrative staff was helpful, friendly and just generally made our stay so smooth! At the bars, well, we cannot say enough wonderful things about Philip, Michael, Romario and Richard at the Manatee Bar. We especially want to shout out Philip for just being our go-to guy at Manatees who always was there with a fun new cocktail to try and great conversation, and helping me to create a new drink called the "Empress" just for me! Over at the Sugar Reef Bar, Alvin was our favorite. "Don't be scared, man!" We loved our room as well. We upgraded to an oceanfront preferred (not in the preferred hotel itself) and it was well worth it. The view was spectacular. The bed was so comfortable. Nichola did an amazing job keeping our room clean and neat (we tried to be helpful too and not be messy!), and loved the turn-down survice by Jacquelyn. Finally, Edward in room service was always so nice whenever he came to deliver (which was a few times!) room service to us. All in all, our stay was exactly what we had wished for and what we needed. My husband could play volleyball and be energetic, I could relax by the pool, and we could meet for amazing breakfasts, lunches and dinners and spend time together in the evening. It was pretty much a perfect vacation and I would recommend Secrets at St. James to anyone who wants to go to an adults only, all-inclusive vacation destination. And we definitely plan to go back ourselves. Kristen & Mills

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to an oceanfront preferred if you can.
2  Thank Kristen R
Reviewed November 6, 2013

we went to ssj from oct13-20 and what a wonderful time we had. from the first moment there rodney (hot rod) took our luggage and told us "dont worry mon, you go check in and i'll watch the luggage". so we checked in and was told "your room will be ready at 3pm, go have some lunch and come back". and at 3 we recieved our room. (everything went like clockwork). hot rod brought our luggage to our room and showed us everything we needed to know about the room, he is a awsome person!!!
we had dinner at most of the restaurants, when you go to the blue mountain have troy wait on you he was great and makes everyone feel like kings and queens. we thought all the restaurants was good. the hibachi grill is a must but, if you want to sit at the grill you need to make reservations, it was 2-days out for us.
every day we stayed by the pools at the st james pool there was a big party from chicago and it was always jumping. megatron, inches and bon jovi was in charge of all the activities at the st james pool and they was always on point. about midweek we went over to the wild orchid pool and thats where we met leo. let me tell you leo raises the bar a few notches, leo made a great time even better. my brother went to secrets about a year and a half ago and told me to find leo and when i did he thought i was my brother!! i was amazed he remembered my brother after all that time. if you see leo tell him T-B says hi. they had pool volleyball in the wild orchid pool every day, it was a blast!! see corn flakes, happy feet and bruce at the wild orchid pool kept things lively they really want to make your stay a great one.
the grounds was beautiful, the beach was a little on the small side but, there was room for anyone who wanted to stay on the beach and not the pool area. i cant say anything bad about anyone working at the resort. everyone, and i mean everyone was nice to us. i will be back next year.

2  Thank terry c
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Secrets preferred club for our honeymoon. We are very impressed with our overall experience. The room, food, drinks and everything was over the top. All exceeded our expectations.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel