“As Expected from Secrets”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed Sept 20-27th..Wonderful people, grounds, view, etc. I'm not going to repeat all the reviews before but it is what you expect from Secrets. My only complaint was I wish that they had a dinner buffet everynight. Some people like to sit and be served for a long period of time, and thats ok. I like to have the option of speciality or buffet. Thats my only issue. Loved the beach area and how close you are to the water. Fun to snorkle off the beach.

Room Tip: We had the 5th floor ocean view. Nice view
2  Thank docwilks
Write a ReviewReviews (6,635)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This resort is beautiful and well kept, the rooms are comfortable. One thing I will say do not go by the time on the clock in your room it changes all the time. I think they do not want you to know what time it is and thats ok. The staff was amazing but what we liked the most were the staff at the pool. Hennessy, Mello, Inches, Fresh Prince, Happy Feet and all the others did a great job getting everyone involved with the activities. We plan on returning there for our Anniversary.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Edith H
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at secrets st James June 2013 for our honeymoon. We had a brilliant time and met some amazing people. Upon leaving we could not find one fault with the resort and did not want to leave. The hotel was outstanding not only for the many facilities and entertainment but mostly due to the graciousness and friendliness of the staff. The food was out of this world with so much variety and flavor.

Dermon kept us entertained in the lobby bar and each member of staff made us feel special by remembering us in person and welcoming us from the moment we arrived. The hotel entertainment was so professional and amazing there really is no need to leave the resort if you don't want to!

I would not upgrade to preferred; not much difference from the normal rooms/ service. Plus if you are anything like me and my husband we did not spend much time in our rooms; there was too much to do to waste time sleeping!

Would recommend Dunns river waterfalls and cool runnings.

We felt we had to do 9 mile as we had come all the way to Jamaica was a bit of a tourist trap and not worth the money.

If you want to experience the local clubs...try Pier 1...will be some tourists but mostly locals unlike Magaritaville which played mostly chart music and was full of tourists; but be careful in local areas as it can be dangerous at night!

The only thing I would change is next time I will not be using first choice. The flight was terrible, service even worse and no acknowledgment from them that we were on honeymoon.

Thank you secrets for a wonderful, memorable honeymoon!

Room Tip: choose a room high up to have a nice view of the sea...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mrs C
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Spent 7 nights in secrets, tried nearly all the restaurants , did the himitsu twice, plenty of selection at breakfast, room had full ocean front view, great facilities exceptional staff in all areas, nice village feel with separate areas. Loved the evening entertainment under the stars listening to pace !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Linda F
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My Wife and I visited St. James (Secrets Resorts & Spas in late AUgust and had an absolutely marvelous time. When we checked in, we met Ms. Deidre Johnson and she informed us if there was anything she could do to make our stay more enjoyable just call her. When a couple of things did not go as we had hoped we notified Deidre and almost immediately someone was there knocking on our door. Ms. Deidre Johnson was an absolute professional in her handling of day to day matters at the Resort when we were there and we have no doubt that she treats all the guests in this manner because she has the Resorrts interest at heart when dealing with visitors. Her desire is to ensure that everyone is happy when they are there and happy when they are departing and this way they will be happy when they return to the Resort, she certainly made our stay more enjoyable and we will be returning for another visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffery J
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We felt very welcome from the moment we arrived at the hotel and that feeling extended throughout the trip. We were allocated a suite with sea view, and the room, although quite old now was very comfortable and everything worked. A vase of flowers, bottle of wine, and cheese plate were awaiting us. Delightful! All the staff we came into contact with throughout, were the same - very pleasant, professional, obviously highly trained and enjoying their work, yet all had a sense of fun. They certainly know how to make a person feel special. We liked the Club Lounge and facilities, the quiet pool area and the fact that (and I know this sounds a ridiculous point) there were ample sun beds and towels available at all times. This is so important in a resort and so frequently not the case. The restaurants were varied and the food good - service always with a smile. We particularly liked the 'lobster' evening, Himitsu and the 'carts' on the esplanade at lunchtimes. I loved the welcome at breakfast each morning with a Mimosa or Bloody Mary - I'm afraid I broke all my rules!!! The drinking water barrels were such a good idea and always replenished.

The resort itself is very, very well maintained and the gardens absolutely beautiful.

Overall, I think this resort is very well established, extremely well managed and delivers what it promises

4  Thank 5starfloosie
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We just returned from a week at Secrets and the best part of the trip were the Jamaican people. Always smiling, always helpful, and always willing to do whatever it took to make our stay amazing. Shummon, Tafari, Mello and many, many more are true assets to the resort. Even though it is all inclusive we made sure that we left them a small tip as the average Jamaican only makes $15 a day.

2  Thank Lisa M