My “now” wife and I arrived from Manchester airport to Montego bay on the 15th April 2013 to spend two weeks at the Secrets St James resort where we were going to get married after 27 years together.
We got a very warm welcome when we landed at the airport and led to our small but quaint bus, once we were onboard, the bus driver announced to everybody that they had a engaged couple onboard who were getting married at the resort, everybody knew it was us as we both went scarlet red, after the round of applause it broke the ice with everybody and we got chatting to everybody.
At the hotel our bags were off the bus and stored to one side while we were offered drinks, cold towels and a very warm welcome. Once we were checked in the bell boy took us up to our room on the St James side on the fourth floor, the room was fantastic with stunning views (if you like a spirit drink in your room, get this from the airport as they don’t have any in the room)
The beds are to die for; the most comfortable I have ever slept in while on holiday, they even had a choice of five different pillows to choose from. The photos you see in the broachers and online do look like the room itself unlike some of the rooms you see. We loved the bathroom, the shower was really powerful and the Jacuzzi actually worked, we did not mind that the bathroom was not 100% private to the rest of the room; I know it bothers some people but we had no problem at all.
The pools and beach were very nice and there was always plenty of loungers whatever time we got down there, there was always somebody there to get you a drink from the bar, we tipped them and used to have some great conversations with them and they would tell you the best places to go outside of the resort, treat them well and you will make very good friends.
The day we got married, everything went without a hitch except that two hours before we were to tie the knot the heavens opened up and we had a hell of a down pour. The team were always ready with a contingency plan, we were to be married in the hall which we did not want but fortunately 20 minutes before the deadline the sun came back out and by the time we made it to the gazebo everything was dry. All in all a fantastic day which we will remember for a lifetime.
The food was out of this world, the people I see putting negative comments on TA must be used to something exceptional on a day to day basis, from the burgers at the hut on the seafront to the top restaurants we never had a single bad meal. We did the private meal on the night of our wedding in the same gazebo we were married in which was very nice but very expensive ($240) but you got your own waiter and chef and the food was out of this world.
The ratio here are 90% Americans / Canadians, 5% from the UK and 5% others but we met some lovely people here and were easy to get on with, ending the night at the night club.
I could go on and on about this place but I would just be repeating comments already on TA
1. Take plenty of $1 & $5 bills for tipping
2. Speak to the servers, waiters and all the other workers, they will tell you the best places to go outside of the resort.
3. Buy your own water shoes if you decide to visit Dunns falls (well worth a visit)
4. If you want to swim with the horses go with Chukka tours and not the one we went with (cant remember the name)
5. We went with Chukka tours on the dune buggies, best thing we have ever did.
6. As everybody else says, try and get a room on the 3rd floor or above to get the best views. We had a fourth floor room and couldn't ask for anything better.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Secrets St. James Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets St James Hotel Montego Bay