“The butler service was great Patrona,Ref,., were well trained and very responsive. They reflected the overall attitude of the st”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jomtien Beach, Thailand
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Great facility and good choice of restaurants. My first experience at an all inclusive facility. Butler service was wonderful Willingness of the staff to do anything for you was consistent from top to bottom

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Isala1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,389)
  • Czech first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Prior to coming to Secrets St James, we previously visited Iberostar in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Upon our arrival, we were seated at a desk to check into the resort. They try to ask you if you want an upgrade for additional cost. There is a difference between ocean view and ocean front. Ocean front views are additional $80 per day. The resort advertise unlimited premium drinks. Premium drinks are only given at certain bars, and definitely not by the pool area. You will have to go inside the resort for the drinks. The drinks are watered down. I asked for a sample of a vodka only with no ice and it was weak.
There are cats running all over the resorts especially by the Preferred Members area and dinning areas.
The pool: was cold, there is no heated pool.
It was extremely hot during our stay and a/c in the rooms did not get that cold. The night activities were boring.
The food selection for room service was horrible, compared to the Preferred guest, you can have a better selection of food. Unless you like continental breakfast this was the selection for the regular rooms. Preferred guest can have a full breakfast, with eggs, toast, etc.

Room Tip: if you want to seat directly in front of the ocean, you must ask for the ocean front rooms, Even tho...
5 Thank disappointed643
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My Stay at Secrets was wonderful! I was there July 10-17th and I really don’t have any complaints. This was my third time staying there, my first in July 2011, and 2nd July 2012. Each time I had been it was always something new. I came with a friend. Check in wasn't that long and when I got to the room there was a sign on the door that read” Repeat Guest”. I felt so special. When we got inside the room there was champagne, wine and cheese and crackers on the table. What a welcome! Since I was a return guest every few days we got the wine with cheese and crackers. I also got a complimentary aromatherapy bath inside my room. This time I felt like a celebrity. Every night there was different entertainment. They had a talent show where the guests compete for prizes, which is usually on Friday night in the theatre. Another night there was a circus and another night the guest participate in the entertainment too. Also you can’t forget the piano bar with Andre. The night club called Desires was always fun, they even have a karaoke night. The night club also has a Dj. I almost forgot about the Secrets Entertainment team, they also put on shows and they get the audience to participate. One of the things I like about staying at this resort is you meet people from all around the world and they are always friendly. The resort has pools and of course the beach. We stayed here seven nights which was great because it gave us a chance to eat somewhere different every night. The restaurants were excellent. No complaints about that either. The resort has seven gourmet restaurants. Blue Mountain which is Jamaican cuisine, Bordeaux is the French one, El Patio is the Mexican restaurant, Himitsu is the Asian restaurant. This one your food is cooked right in front of you and requires a reservation. If you don’t want to do that you can eat at a regular table. Oceana has different types of seafood, Portofino is the Italian restaurant, Seaside grill has different foods that are grilled and The World Café is a buffet style restaurant. My favorite restaurant is the French loved it. I felt so special this trip to Secrets. You really feel like this is your home. It’s is really going to be hard going somewhere else on vacation. I was really spoiled here. Also my turn down maid Josephine was really nice and polite. Love her! Being a return guest we also got a free breakfast in bed. They gave us a paper to check off what we wanted and brought it to our room. The breakfast in bed was delicious! I ordered fruit, eggs, a mimosa, and toast. There were also other choices as well. One thing I really love about this resort is it is all inclusive. If you want to come here for a romantic getaway go! If you want to come here with a group of friends go! You Want to get married there go! You won’t be disappointed. Also try to get a room with an ocean view. The sunsets in Jamaica are breath taking!

Room Tip: Make sure to get an Ocean View room. The sunsets are so beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alicia M
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We have just returned from Jamaica this morning following our wedding and honeymoon. Well what can I say. It was the the most exquisite hotel and the staff were brilliant and friendly. Our wedding day was made special and a massive thank you to the wedding team that basically took the brunt of my stress. My husband and I could not have chosen a more idyllic and scenic location. A massive thank you to tony our photographer who captured every single precious moment and our album turned out wonderfully. We stayed in the preferred suite and had great room service especially from ricardo. veronica kept our room emaculate and we received special treatment on the wedding night returning to rose petals all over the room and the jucuzzi filled surrounded by candles. It just seems the hotel will always go the extra mile to make sure their guests are made to feel like they are the only guests. The restaurants are beautiful with such a wide variety of food. I would like to mention carol at the Italian and clive at breakfast who always made us feel so welcome. All bar staff are brilliant, they always gave you a warm welcome and an added touch that they remembered your name and specific drink that always nearly was waiting on the bar as they always saw us coming. This included Andrew at the wild orchids lobby bar and also allando at the secrets st James lobby bar. To merna who always welcomed us at the secret st James bar also that found time to always ask about our family that attended the wedding but left before us. I cannot praise the resort enough and would feel extremely lucky to be able to go back in the near future.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank ninaandgarethjones
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The location of this hotel along with the sister hotel wild orchid was the reason we choose and what a great decision! The hotel staff was so friendly and amazing at making sure our trip was a good experience. Anything you want they will get for you. The food was excellent. We have lobster on the buffet on Saturday night, it was good considering we usually pay to upgrade a dinner one night in order to eat it. Well they have a restaurant that offers it every night and real cream brûlée! We did drink from a coconut which was refreshing! The jerk cart was a hit, except its not stomach friendly unless you have a tough gut. The beds were like sleeping on a cloud. The Wild Orchid building is located around the restaurants and night time entertainment. The hotel does not have wrist bands to wear so the staff has no idea which hotel you are with. I would choose the cheaper of the two hotels and not upgrade to preferred club. Save the money for another trip. The drinks were strong and not watered down. Take your own snorkel! They have free mask and fins except you only can use them at their guided times. The fish under water all around are beautiful! Be sure to take $1 bills to tip. These people do not make a lot of money and travel a long way to serve you and make sure you have every thing you need.

Room Tip: Wild Orchid is located closest to restaurants and nigh time entertainment but to save cost stay at S...
1 Thank melorr1992
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was a great resort to stay at, visited te week of 08/26/2013 - 08/31/2013. The resort was gorgeous, just like the pictures, the staff was excellent, friendly, always a smile on their faces, Clarissa, the young lady that checked us in, remembered our names and everytime she saw us, she greeted us by name. The bar staff in the lobby was excellent, Allonda, Darmon, they were very friendly, the food was good, a lot of choices to choose from. The pool nice, clean, not crowded, able to get a spot, ended up in the same spot each day. Ocean, gorgeous. The jerk man cart and fruit lady, yummy, each day on the beach for about three hours. night ent was good, a lot to do, a lot of activities. Room service was excellent, the food was hot when it was delivered. Will definitely go back to Secrets again. Good time was had.

Room Tip: All the rooms are suites, I don't think there is much difference between the Preffered and the s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank monica h
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for having selected our resort for your most recent trip. Our team does take much pride in maintain our resort’s impeccable image and creating the right vacation experience for our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed what we had to offer you and found many of our staff to be very friendly as well.

It always gives us a feeling of satisfaction when our guests wish to return and I do hope that you won’t wait too long to come again. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5-night stay at Secrets and we wish we could have stayed forever. The property is very nice, exactly like it is in pictures. Check-in was fast, they offered a cold towel and a cold beverage of our choice. Our flight arrived at 8:35am and check-in does not start until 3pm but we were checked-in upon arrival and they stored our bags for us as our room was not ready yet. After breakfast, we came back to the Preferred Lounge and by noon we were in our room.

The room itself was spectacular. We booked a King bed Junior Suite with Preferred Club privileges. We had a room on the 4th floor - wow, what a beautiful view! They had rose petals on the bed when we arrived, the room was fully stocked with toiletries, snacks and beverages. Daily housekeeping service was nice and the snacks and mini fridge were restocked daily as well. Room service is available 24/7, they have 3 different menus for different times of the days. We ordered breakfast in the suite almost every day and were never disappointed. Breakfast always arrived earlier than anticipated and was hot and exactly as we ordered.

The restaurants were alright. We ate at all of them except the French one. I personally liked Blue Mountain, El Patio and Portofino the best. We also enjoyed the Lobster buffet one night as well. Alcohol is abundant and easy to find at every corner. If you booked preferred, there will be 3 bottles of alcohol in the room already but if that is not enough, you can enjoy the fully stocked bar in the lounge or any of the swim-up bars or regular bars for drinks. We both loved the Bob Marley and especially the Dirty Bananas. I did find that I liked the drinks better when they were prepared in the restaurants although I am not sure why.

There is nightly entertainment that ranges from movies, to live bands to music in the piano bar, etc. We enjoyed PACE (the resident band) on one evening. They played a lot of reggae music which we loved - nice, slow songs that you can dance with your partner to or hold them close while enjoying the easy beats. I also really enjoyed the piano bar. Other then that, I can't say much about the other activities as we didn't participate in them. Instead, we would walk along the beach at night and then just head back up to our room for some much needed alone time.

The beach is terrific. It has the softest sand I have ever felt. You literally sink in it when the waves hit your feet. We did stay during jellyfish season and I did get stung once but that's no fault of Secrets. I loved their beach. It isn't the biggest one in the world but you can always find a place to relax under the sun and enjoy the views, the water, read a book, etc. The water is so warm and relaxing. It is so clear that you can even see little fish swimming right beside you - the most amazing thing in the world!

Secrets offers a lot of activities free of charge. We took advantage of the kayaking on two occasions and really enjoyed it. Not only is it a decent workout but you can get out there on the open sea and checkout the living ocean and enjoy some really great views.

I think about the only thing I can say bad about this resort was the service. I wasn't satisfied at all with the way my husband and I were treated. I think that this might be because we are an interracial couple as I noticed that when I was not with him, I got better service (and less attitude). I will point out two individuals that really should get a pay raise, promotion or something: Clive and Dealton. We met Dealton on the evening of the Lobster buffet, he was our waiter and was very friendly, charismatic, etc. He was the first person I experienced at Secrets that didn't seem like they hated their job. On the next morning, we had breakfast at the buffet and had the utmost pleasure of meeting a gentleman by the name of Clive. Also, a very friendly man who was eager to help and offered delightful conversation. Other than these two, every other person was pretty much rude to us or didn't seem that they really wanted to offer any assistance when we asked for it.

All of that aside, we both enjoyed our stay there and would recommend it others. It is a beautiful resort that is very upscale and luxurious and offers the relaxation that we were looking for.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the room!
5 Thank Michelle C
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!