“Exceeded our expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secrets St. James Montego Bay

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bury, United Kingdom
“Exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here 29th Aug to 6th Sept 13 whilst attending a wedding at Secrets St James. I can't praise the resort and the staff enough. We found the Jamaican people to be fabulous. Staff here couldn't do enough for us, were always polite and were happy to go the extra mile. It's amazing what a 'please and thankyou ' does. Maybe it's a cultural thing.
We arrived after a 9 hour flight from the UK and were greeted with a very welcome cold towel and a bucks fizz. Checkin was easy and our luggage was delivered by the Bell Hops within minutes. The room was spacious and the comfiness of the bed to die for. The bed was turned down most nights, mini bar replenished and room cleaned to perfection.
Cleanliness throughout the resort was exemplary. Food in all restaurants was excellent, ( we tried them all) although we favoured the Italian of Portofino. We were looked after here on 3 occasions by the wonderful Carol. Breakfasts were stunningly good and I have to make special mention here of Clive and Damian. In the Mexican restaurant, make sure you're looked aafter by Delano. A great character.
Pools were clean with a plentiful supply of sun-loungers. The staff at the swim up bar in St James were always polite and ready to oblige with that special cocktail. The entertainment team were hilarious, led by Genius.
All in all, we had a terrific time which exceeded all our expectations. If you're thinking of a wedding away, you won't go far wrong here. Even the Minister's a hoot, especially if you get him talking cricket.the watersports guys ever obliging....
Down sides..well there were a couple. I felt over charged for a 10 minute haircut and my wife did not expect to have to wash her own hair prior to the bridal hairdo.. it rained most afternoons and there were a few jelly fish close to the beach.. but non of that spoiled a very special week.
I could go on and on with praise. For my wife and I this was a special week. If I never do it again, I will remember it forever.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank phlipManchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,290)
  • Czech first
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Secrets resort is one of the top resorts I have been to for all inclusive. Placed on a dream property with all facilities. Views are delicious and romantic. With top notch dining options and various activites you get the most out of your vacation. We loved Bordeaux for dining and Blue Mountain the least. Staff is very friendly and always looking to help. The rooms are ocean view and spotless. Upon check in you will get started with a drink of choice and setup for activities if you wish. The only thing I can say that was surprising is the so called "orientation" for other properties. In other words sales pitch. Slated as being only for 90min we found from another source that it was 4 hours in length. They will give you some spa credit for taking your time, but we opted out. We would rather enjoy the resort and take in the sun. Totally your call. Nightly entertainment was not impressive but the band was on point. Also dont miss BareFoot Beach on Thursday. Bonfire with Dj and a flame thrower act. As for the weather it is the rainy season. So be aware. Sun started 7am to about noon. Then rain sometimes for the rest of the day or for a few hours. We did not know this be since the resort is close to mountain side it will rain more than the rest of the island. We were at Dr.s Cove and it was gorgeous most of the day while it rained in St. James. So check the weather before you go. Margaritaville is a must. Decent food but the scene is good for music and of course the scenery. Also great if you like waterslides. Transportation is not included so book your bus or car. Also no service to the town for shopping or Hip Strip. However, we took a corporate cab outside of the gates for $10 plus tip. Do not take any car service on the street. Corporate cabs are usually mini van types and have a corporate name on top of the car. Definitely go to Dr.s Cove beach. It is magnificent. Only $5 for entrance. Beach is white sand slightly rocky but good. There are restaurants and bars on the beach. The beach on Secrets is good but also rocky. Best beaches are on Seven Mile Beach/Negril. You can take a day trip there and Ricks Cafe. On the resort are cart vendors free of charge. Enjoy the jerk chicken and fresh coconuts as well as fresh fruit on the beach. Definitely a must! In all this resort packs a terrific punch for what you pay. You wont be dissappointed. Also wanted to add their photographer Noel is one of the best I have used. Super guy and takes some of the best pics on the planet. Although the pics are pricey you will love the job he does. Thanks Noel!!

Room Tip: All room face the ocean. So this shouldnt be an issue. Resort is quite when it needs to be.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John A
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I just stayed at Secrets St James over Labor Day weekend and I have nothing but praise for this resort! Darmon & Deneita (Bar tenders at St James) were both extremely funny and made the most delicious drinks ever!! Hermon (Bellman) was very nice and informative. Actually, ALL of the staff were wonderful. I looked forward to the Jerk Chicken cart everyday!! The location of the resort is fabulous. I didn't hear one plane so not sure what the other reviewers are talking about. But I am a Travel Agent and I will DEFINITELY continue to recommend this resort to my clients. Going back very soon!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JDWP123
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I really enjoyed the hotel. The service was wonderful and I liked that it was so close to the airport. We could not hear the planes, like other reviewers have mentioned. We did not upgrade and did not feel like we were missing out on anything. Make sure to eat the jerk chicken. It is incredible!

Room Tip: get a room on the top floor. bottom floors are too noisy
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Farnaz B
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I were at Secrets St. James from 8/15 to 8/24 and have nothing but praise for the resort. The staff was over the top in regard to friendliness, courtesy and general helpfulness.

The staff in the World Cafe was off the chain especially our first server Sonia. Right from the start she was very attentive and always smiling. After being introduced the first time, Sonia never forgot our names and if I or my wife visited the restaurant alone, she would ask for the missing person by name. Every time we ate there I made sure we were seated in the section that Sonia was working. I had to opportunity to hear her sing and made a request that she sing to me before I left. On the morning before the last day, she did a duet with Oraldo in the dinning room, that made my day. Well the last morning there, I started singing to her and she picked up and we did a little duet. It was great!

In the Wild Orchid piano bar we met Andrew who was the bartender for the afternoon shift. Andrew was also very attentive to our needs, was very friendly and made some really great drinks. If you asked for a strong drink, you got it. If you asked for a light drink, you got it. If you asked him for something different he hooked you right up and it usually hit the spot.

Getting to the hotel itself: #1! The rooms were clean and nice size. The bed was just fantastic. We had brought an electric converter but it didn't work, When I went down to the main desk and explained the problem, the manager from housekeeping got me another to use for the stay. All I had to do was have $25 put on the bill and it was taken off when I returned the converter.There was turn-down service every night.

Not to go on and on, I will close by saying the entire stay was the best ever! The pool was great, the food phenomenal and the service impeccable. We would definitely return to Secrets and would recommend it for anyone that wants to be pampered while away from home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Ed M
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great trip. Food great for an all inclusive but not on par with what you'd expect if you were at a 4-5 star restaurant which it isn't. They were replacing the flooring at the preferred club pool bar which meant jackhammers and power saws for two days but you could move to the beach easily. I would definitely recommend the preferred club which was much less crowded with less chance of having to sit at the pool and listen to somebody next to you enjoy their Rap music on their iPhone.Staff was very attentive and always ready to serve and seemed to enjoy their job. We will definitely consider other Secrets properties when we decide to do an all-inclusive in the future.

Room Tip: Top two floors have the best view of the ocean
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doc930
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

It was our pleasure to have hosted you at our resort. I am glad that despite the maintenance work taking place you did enjoy the comfort of the preferred club. Your comment on our food has be noted. Please be assured that our food and beverage team have reviewed your comments and are continuously working to make the necessary improvements.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we do hope that you will consider us or future vacations.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is the 3rd Secrets resort I've stayed at. Let me preface by saying that this was a wonderful resort with wonderful staff. I would recommend it to anyone. That being said, out of the 3 Secrets we've stayed at, this was my least favorite.

We stayed in the Preferred St. James section. It was furthest away from everything, but I liked the walk. I loved the personalized check-in for the preferred & also, the room was lovely. (Our shower did leak all over the floor the first 2 days, but they seemed to fix it after that.) Also, there was an occasion where our room wasn't made up at all and most nights, the turndown service didn't occur. I thought since it was the preferred section, we'd get it more consistently. We mentioned on our departure and we got an email from the hotel apologizing. I thought that was a great customer service thing.

The St. James Preferred pool was great. I like quiet & this was a nice quiet pool. Some construction was going on at the bar near it, but it was okay. The beach was nice, the downside being you couldn't walk along other beach other than what was at the resort without being stopped by a guard. My husband loved the snack bar in the preferred section lobby. The servers coming around the pool were very friendly. I wish they would come around a little more often, but that was just a personal preference. At the other Secrets we've stayed at the staff was a little quicker.

When we finally ventured out to other areas of the resort, we found the service was a LOT better. Perhaps because there were more people in the other sections? As much as I liked the preferred section, I don't feel it was worth the extra money. Especially because they keep pushing the Unlimited Vacation Club on you. We didn't go to the presentation because we are not into timeshares.

The food was great, so I don't know what people were complaining about in the other reviews. I loved the coconut man who would come by and slice up coconut for you to drink out of & the shaved ice cart. My husband loved the daily jerk chicken truck that came around. These never came to the preferred sections of the resort, so you did have to seek them out.

The nightly entertainment was great and our favorite was the piano bar. A good time was had by all there!

I'd like to mention the following people who made our stay: everyone at the buffet (especially Oraldo and his songs in the morning!), as well as Kedeisha, Cassie, Sophie, Richard, Oneil & Jahmar. And props to the entertainment staff that we hung out with: Ceelo, Cornflakes, Sparks, Leonard, and Bon Jovi. And everyone at the Sugar Reef Bar, you guys are awesome. And special shout outs to the baggage dudes Chris Brown & Chris Rose at the Preferred St. James. Chris Brown gave my husband the best advice of "Happy wife, happy life." Love it!

So, yes, our stay had a few pitfalls, but overall this is a great resort that I would totally recommend. I suggest if you are more into quiet, stay on the St. James side. You like to party? Head over to Wild Orchid. And Ya Mon, we will be returning to Jamaica!

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor & loved the view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#15 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,849 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!