“An amazing trip to secrets st James. Thank you Charlene and staff. We will be back. Chuck and Heather”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel in August 2013. What an amazing trip. Every member of staff were incredible from the checking in to the gardener, waiters and waitresses. Charlene, Erroll the gardener who made a flower arrangement for us. The maid who always made swans out of our towels and always smiling. The restaurants were great. The signing waiters at breakfast were always fun and the staff waiting on us by the pool were amazing. We really felt like royalty and we can wait to return. We have travelled a lot and this was one of the best places we have visited. Thank you to all the amazing staff especially the girls Deirdre and gang in the preferred secrets st James.

Room Tip: If you want to pay a little extra preferred is the way to go. If you lie a bit more activity stay...
1  Thank Pohlmanns
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Valued Guest:

We are happy to read that you were impressed by so many different areas and team members at our resort. Our team does put much effort into creating a total package experience for all guests and we will continue to work hard at doing so for future.

Thanks for sharing your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

eConcierge Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (6,707)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Secrets St. James Montego Bay, Jamaica is the best resort I’ve visited thus far. I visited the resort for my 28th Birthday, and I enjoyed myself the entire time. Words cannot describe how much fun I had during my stay, and how great and helpful the entire staff was. I visited the resort from August 18th thru August 24th, and everyone treated me as if I was a long lost relative or a friend they’ve known for quite some time.

Checking in was smooth, and wasn’t a hassle at all! The staff was AWESOME and just completely LOVELY!

The property is beyond fantastic, and the premises are extremely clean. The concierge team was extremely polite, and provided me with a free bottle of Jamaican Rum for celebrating my birthday with them, and within minutes of me checking into my room, the front desk called me to ensure all was well.

This was my first time visiting Jamaica, and because of the experience I had at Secrets, I consider Jamaica as PARADISE. I love to travel and I’ve been to many resorts throughout my life, and Secrets St. James is by far the BEST.

After checking in and getting settled, I decided to grab a bite to eat. I met two staff members by the name of Pat and Deneise at the Barefoot Grill. Pat and Deneise was WONDERFUL and made me feel so comfortable. I was scared and saddened that I was spending my birthday alone, but those two ladies made me feel like I was a part of their families and welcomed me with open arms. They did not know I was alone, and they did not know I was spending my birthday alone, but because of their kind spirits and beautiful smiles, I felt at ease and comfortable with them. Pat and Deneise had nothing but kind things to say from day one, and I actually made sure I stopped by to see them before departing from Jamaica.

Later that day, I then decided to walk the premises and learn where everything was located. When I reentered my room, I had a message from a guy named Kevin. Kevin was extremely pleasant and assisted me in booking a tour every single day while in Jamaica. Kevin, LaTanya Lewis, and the entire tour booking staff was helpful, pleasant, fun to deal with, and intelligent.

The entertainment at the resort was AWESOME as well. I am a health freak, and try to stay in shape, so I decided to participate with the bike tour. Isaac and Carlos were extremely wonderful, and I really enjoyed the bike tour with them. I actually took the bike tour three times, because I enjoyed it so much. Isaac was extremely kind, and I did not have a chance to truly thank him for making my stay wonderful.

The food at the resort was better than I expected. I love to eat breakfast and the young ladies that cooked the French toast at the World Café were MAGNIFICENT!!! The entire staff was kind and the breakfast was buffet style, so there were a variety of things to choose from.

On my birthday, I decided to go to the French Restaurant (Bourdeaux), and I had lobster, steak, and champagne for my birthday. The staff actually surprised me, and song happy birthday to me. As I write this, a smile comes across my face, because for some odd reason, it always seemed as if the staff went ABOVE and BEYOND for me!

The next night, I decided to try the Hibachi Restaurant (Hitmitsu), and Marlon was the cook. Marlon is EXCEPTIONAL! He had a great sense of humor, a beautiful voice, and was cooking while entertaining us. Marlon later found out that my birthday had just past, and he asked the entire restaurant to sing happy birthday to me. Everyone that stays at the resort should try Hitmitsu, request Marlon, and make sure you all show him how grateful you all are for his services and entertainment.

I honestly cannot remember everyone’s name, but I have recommended this resort to everyone I know. I have never met so many kind people, and as I stated before, words cannot truly describe the wonderful experience I had at Secrets St. James in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

I was treated like royalty, and I cannot put a price tag on the GREAT experience. Even though I paid a nice amount to stay at the resort, I honestly felt as if I should have paid even more money. Even if I paid more money, I truly don’t believe that money will compensate for the exceptional experience and treatment the entire staff at Secrets provided me with.

I don’t know when and I don’t know how soon, but I WILL be coming back to Secret’s sooner than later!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Antonio M
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Hi, I stayed at the Secrets St. James last year (2012). It's a beautiful hotel. When my fiancee and I arrived, we were met by the bellmen who gave us drinks and cool towels, super awesome! The check in experience was amazing from start to finish. We were offered an upgrade to an ocean view room, however we declined as it didn't matter where we stayed, we were in paradise. Everything was amazing. After checking in, another young lady. Nordia, offered us a vacation package with UVC which we signed up for. We didn't end up taking the package, however it was strange that she wanted personal info, credit card and social security details. Anyways we were in vacation mode so we gave her the details. The vacation itself was wonderful, we were getting married soon so it set the mood right for the rest of our lives.

My only problem was, once I got back home, I realized that there were charges being made on my credit card that I knew nothing about. I ignored them at first but now I realize that I have been scammed! OMG, almost $2000 so far has been taken and I've been to my bank and even when they increased safety features on my card, somehow, the money keeps disappearing. I informed the authorities at the advice of my bank and was told that there is an ongoing lotto scam by Jamaicans.

ANYONE going to stay at Secrets St. James or Wild Orchid, be careful of the UVC girl named Nordia. I thought about calling the hotel but the authorities told me they have a close eye on her, and others at the hotel, as this is an ongoing crisis! Please everyone be careful!

We are now married and on our honeymoon in Jamaica, but HELL NOOOO! We're not going back to Secrets. I hope they have that under control, it's really bad for business. We have contacted local authorities now that we're back on the island and they assured us that they are investigating the scam and they'll inform us if an arrest is made so we can press charges.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The grounds and staff at Secrets were unbelievable! Just returned from my trip yesterday, and am missing Jamaica and the Secrets staff terribly.

Definitely dine at the restaurant "El Patio" during your stay. Delicious Mexican food and amazing service, especially from the manager, Dalton.

I will definitely revisit this resort!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Laura W
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Valued Guest:

It is great to have had the opportunity to host you at our resort recently and we thank you for this. Wonderful to know you had a great time here and we look forward to welcoming you back. We will certainly do our best to maintain our great quality of service and make improvements to further exceed our guests expectations.

Thank you for taking the time out to share your review with us and others.

Warm Regards,
Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Had a great break at the Secrets St James Hotel and Spa in Montego Bay, Jamaica which was just what the doctor ordered. Weather was a little unsettled which effectively is due to the time being the rainy season which we were aware of and didn't in anyway dampen our holiday. The overall Hotel is very clean and run very professionally albeit in a relatively laid back manner i.e. not formal. The variety and choice of restaurants were magnificent only enhanced by the friendliness of all hotel staff. We also had a cracking round the pool bar service from all staff but my special thanks go out to both Avion and Leo for going that extra mile.
The Spa treatment was fantastic and we came away after the couples massage feeling very relaxed and de-stressed. This was a wonderful way to enjoy our silver wedding anniversary and I would definitely consider revisiting.

Room Tip: All rooms have a see view but some around the pool can be a little noisy at the end of the afternoon...
4  Thank Sheraton_64

Dear Valued Guest:

It is really great that despite the rain, you enjoyed our resort very much. Our team is very pleased that we were able to provide you with the relaxing environment you needed for your recent trip. Your gratitude has been passed on to Avion and Leo who appreciate it very much.
Congratulations once again on your anniversary celebration and hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Me and My boyfriend recently travelled to secrets august 8th till the 22nd and had the best 2 weeks stay at the hotel. I honestly do not know how people can write a bad review, we stayed at moon palace cancun last year and thought we would find it hard to beat however this hotel did the job.

The hotel was amazing and well worth the money we spent and the jamaican people who work in the hotel added to our excellent experience (especially the life gaurd by the pool roy, who was a true gent and gave us honest info regaurding what to do and see during our time in jamaica). Our room was to the highest standard and was very clean and luxury. The view from the balcony was amazing but its best to get 3rd floor or above to ensure a good view of the sun set.

The food was amazing and I did not eat 1 thing I did not like all resteraunts were available every night and we did not get turned away once however you must wear sleeves to dinner on a night time as part of the dress code. Himatsu was the best by far and they cook your food in frount of you which was amazing and the food was great. The buffet was really good as well and there was a lobster night once a week and a surf and turf night both of which we really enjoyed. The breakfast was amazing and we were spoilt for choice.

Pools were great and there was a wide choice of where to sit on a day time. The entertainment throughout the holiday was to high standard and we enjoyed the piano bar and the shows including a MR and MRS competition, a secrets has got talent show, a circuis ect there was always plenty going on and the drinks were of high quality my boyfriend was drinking apple martinis made with grey goose vodka.

All in all we had an amazing holiday at secrets and would advise anyone going here that they will have an amazing time and will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room 3rd floor or above
11  Thank Natalie A
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I enjoyed every second of my stay in secrets st James, me and my friend stayed between 8 August 2013 and 23 August 2013. The staff are welcoming, friendly and willing to help. Plenty of choice of food and drinks at the various restaurants, bars and the night club on the property. I will definitely be returning to this hotel in the very near future. My only criticism, which has nothing to do with the hotel, is the Mosquitos so stock up on the insect repellent.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Miss_s_xx

Dear Valued Guest:

We are happy to know you enjoyed every second of your time at our resort. It is this kind of experience we hope to achieve with all our guests and so your feedback does serve as positive reinforcement.
With regard to the presence of mosquitoes, we do have a fogging process to get rid of them and we will continue to improve on this in an effort to eliminate them from guest areas. As a tropical country this is a constant battle especially during the the rainy season of June to November. Your recommendation for others is definitely valid and I must add that it is best to not keep the sliding doors of the rooms open for too long as this is a way they will enter the room.

Looking forward to welcoming you back Home!

Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay