“Five Couple Trip To Celebrate” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secrets St. James Montego Bay

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
boston
“Five Couple Trip To Celebrate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I returned from an eight night stay at Secrets St. James, Montego Bay last week along with a four other couples. Some were celebrating birthdays along with an anniversary. We were all made to feel special. We are between the ages of 45- 55. All of the couples have traveled extensively and we all have stayed multiple times at 4&5star all-inclusive resorts throughout the Caribbean and beyond. Everyone in our group vacationed as preferred guests.
The grounds at Secrets were immaculate and as well kept as could be found at any 5star resort. My wife and I were very fortunate to have been able to stay in master suite # 4219. The room was huge, nicely appointed throughout with a living room, bedroom, in room Jacuzzi, extra large shower with two rain and two handheld shower heads. The deck spanned across both the living room and bedroom with a large four person Jacuzzi. This was a corner room with water views on both sides.
We had made reservations in advance due to the fact we were vacationing with a party of 10. Upon reaching the restaurant of choice each evening we were met by the hostess and quickly escorted to our table for 10. Not once did we have to wait nor was their any confusion that we were expected. The food in all was as you would find in similar all-inclusive resorts of equal stature.
The pools were very nice as you could find plenty of quiet private space or activities in the main pool areas as you desired. The beach was just Ok, but that was to be expected due to its location in Montego Bay, which is not known for the long sprawling beaches you may find in Negril or Punta Cana.
One of the resorts best assets in my opinion is the staff. This was my first time to Jamaica to stay at an all inclusive and I found all of the staff to be the most friendly, polite and courteous of anywhere I have stayed thus far.
To the management: please take note of the following staff members who either came to our aid in regard to small mechanical malfunctions or served us as a housekeeper, wet bar server and front desk receptionist. They are: (maintenance) these men quickly helped us gain access to our room after a faulty electronic key system: Leo, Hopeton, Osain, and Garfield, (housekeeping) Shummon, (wet bar service) Dalton, and (front desk) Diedre.

4 Thank Buzzardsbay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Czech first
Spring Hill, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

The resort was very nice. We were in a group of six and had the normal resort welcome with a drink while checking in. The resort credits were pretty useless. I don’t think anyone in the group used any. During check in are friends decided to upgrade there room which came with an iPad mini. There room was exactly the same as ours but with a better view and access to the VIP area. The iPad mini is locked so you can’t Facetime but you can Skype. Other wise the WiFi does not work well in the rooms. The mattress in the rooms were probably the most comfortable I have ever slept on, so comfortable I took a picture of the brand and tried to find it when I got back, which I had no luck.Food was good although most times the descriptions of the food did not match what we received which seems to be a recurring theme at all the resorts I have been to. The jerk chicken cart was very good. Pools and beach areas were nice. We had tried to sail on the hobby cat’s but there was no wind. Being on the St. James side it was quieter which meant a longer walk to the Wild Orchid side which was were all the restaurants were.

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are the same as the none upgraded with a better view and an Ipad.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Scottbetz77
Hillsborough, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We just returned from a 6 day trip at Secrets St James for our first anniversary [after staying at Secrets Maroma Beach for our honeymoon]. Overall, I would say we preferred Maroma's resort a bit more...but we were again impressed with the grounds, the service from the staff, and the quality of the food.
1. Make sure to bring SMALL bills for tips. The service is really amazing and you are not required but will likely feel compelled to tip. We found it difficult to get change for our $20s.
2. Rooms are clean, and all have a nice view [even those less direct].
3. Spa is a bit pricey but VERY nice. Had a great massage [get discounts if celebrating honeymoon/anniversary].
4. Pools are all nice, but we also loved spending time on the beach. Beach is on the small side but even in the heat of August, most days had a nice ocean breeze. We also took advantage of the Catamaran lesson [only $20] and really enjoyed that.
5. If you are looking for excursions, we loved Real Tours Jamaica Secret Falls trip--definitely look it up!!
6. Food is solid at all of the restaurants-love the breakfast buffet and would have to say the French was our best dinner [don't need to wear pants if sit outside]. The Jerk Chicken on the beach was pretty solid [and we even went to Scotchies to compare on our excursion].

The walk to the restaurants was not far from St. James so would definitely recommend over paying more at Wild Orchid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank thisjerseygirl07
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

As a resort, we aim to reach ultimate guest satisfaction and overall perfection so it really does please us that your experience is reflective of our efforts. Our management team has reviewed your post and has and will continue to implement necessary changes to improve on the areas you noted. Your appreciation of our resort, the service and your experience is very valuable to us and we can’t say thank you enough for taking the time to share with us and our future guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back Home!

Warm Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
renfrewshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at Secrets St James at non preferred with my boyfriend for 2 weeks from 1st August 2013. We had booked our holiday a year in advance and were a little apprehensive as holiday drew nearer however the hotel exceeded our expectations.

On arrival we were greeted by Garfield the bell boy who took our luggage informed check in we had arrived and asked us what we would like to drink. Check in was swift and very informative we received a welcome gift which included a bottle of Jamaican Rum. We were delighted when were check in told us that our request had been granted for a high floor then Letitia explained we had been allocated an ocean view room. Garfield then escorted us to our room.

Accommodation:

As mentioned we had an ocean view room so we had a fantastic view straight out onto the ocean this really made our holiday complete. We were very impressed with the room very clean, room contained an iron, ironing board, electronic safe, umbrella, clock and i pod dock. Having an i pod dock and iron was fantastic as we travelled from the UK so not having to bring these items saved a little on our luggage allowance.
The Jacuzzi bath and shower were great and both very clean. The his and her sinks were also a nice addition in the bathroom as were the range of toiletries provided which wer of a high London brand. There was a good range of channels on the TV holidays are not about watching TV but it is nice to have decent channels to watch when getting ready or chilling out.
We were both very impressed by Housekeeping provided by Kesha and Pauline they both worked very hard and both very friendly.
Good tea and coffee making facilitates and minibar was great as was Air Con in the room.
We had 2 double beds in our room and both very comfortable, I thought the fleeces provided were a nice touch however we were a little disappointed that we only received turn down service a couple of times during our stay.
Overall we were very impressed by the room and it exceeded our expectations.

Food:

World Cafe
The World Cafe is a buffet restaurant which is open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. We were very impressed by breakfast a good range of food with freshly made eggs to order, freshly made pancakes, crepes etc and omelette station.

Good selection at World Cafe during lunch I personally really like the freshly made pasta.

We only ate at World Cafe in the evening when it was Lobster Night and Surf & Turf and felt a good selection was on offer.

Barefoot Grill
Snack bar that made burgers to order, the burgers were really tasty. Also had self service crisps, Jamaican patties, nachos and hotdogs. Self Service soft drinks and self service Red Stripe.

Oceania
This is based at Wild Orchid Pool and you create your own wraps. We ate here for lunch a few times and enjoyed getting to create wraps to our taste.

At Lunchtimes look out for the Jerk Chicken cart, Coconut Cart and Fresh Fruit Cart.

There are a range of A la Carte restaurants to choose from in the evenings you do not require to make reservations for dinner. You will have to make reservations to eat at the cooks table at the Hitmusi restaurant and this is worth doing.
We were impressed with Portofino the Italian restaurant and ate here a few times, we also really enjoyed the Bordeaux french Restaurant. We ate at all the A La Carte restaurants and were happy with the food but Portofino and Bordeaux were our personal favourites. There is a dress code at the restaurants for the evening but as long as the men look neat and tidy they can wear dress shorts although when eating the the french restaurant long trousers are required.

Room Service:
We used room service about 4 times during our stay we usually had room service the days we had been out excursions and were back later in the day and were having a relaxed night in. Our personal favorite was the Best Dressed Burger. Room Service was on offer 24hrs a day and the Dumb Butler was a nice touch as it gave us somewhere to put our used dishes. On the whole we received room service quite promptly although on one occasion we did wait an hour and a half.

Bars:
There is a range of bars at the hotel both pool bars offer a great range of cocktails such as a Dirty Banana, Jamaican Smile, Iceberg and moijitos. We stayed mainly at St James pool and were very impressed by the bar tenders Devonish, Denholm, Donald and Karen all provided great service at the bar. Simone was a fantastic server both at the pool and beach. We enjoyed the Lobby Bars and the Coco Coffee bar. There is also a Piano bar which does Sing along in the evening and Desiree's Music lounge which is open into the early morning.

Hotel Facilities:

There are lots of things to do around the hotel Jay Vegas Casino, Shopping Village, Games Room, Beach Games area and a range of water-sports Jermaine is particularly helpful and a good teacher out on the water. The pools have lifeguards and Michael the lifeguard from St James was hardworking and friendly. Also on a daily basis Bike Tours, Nature Walks and a range of activities are provided on a daily basis by the entertainment team. There is also Tennis and Baskeball courts on St James Side.

Entertainment:
Secrets has an excellent entertainment team including Mello, Happy Feet, Mega Tron, Cornflakes, Bon Jovi, Fresh Prince, Celoo, Sky and Genius they all helped to make our holiday that little bit more memorable. A range of pool games with prizes are organised by the entertainment team through the day and in evening they provide a range of entertainment. Showtime entertainment we particularly enjoyed were the Silver Bird Steel Band, The Circus Night, The Caribbean Night, Jerry Jackson and Secrets Got Talent.
The house band Pace were fantastic and we stayed for 2 weeks and watched them most nights and never got bored listening to them.

Entertainment Team put on a fantastic event for Jamaica Independence Day and it was clear to see how much effort they put into the event. It was full day of event beginning with a parade in the morning and finishing with a concert on the beach at night.

Spa:

I personally felt the Spa was a little expensive but this is often the case at hotels. However I won a free massage by coming 3rd at Secrets Got Talent. I got a Swedish Massage which was very relaxing i was impressed by the attentiveness of the staff at the spa and all the little touches such as the robes,spa shoes and locker made it that bit more special. I enjoyed my massage and was impressed by the spa and staff.

Overall we had a wonderful holiday and met some really great people. The hotel grounds are very clean and kept very well. All the staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and always made the point to say hello. Special mention for Leroy who fixed our door very promptly when the card reader had broke and we were locked out the room.

We were both very impressed by the service we received at Secrets and will definitely be "Returning Home" to spend another holiday at Secrets St James.

9 Thank ela03
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I were at the Secrets St James August 3-10, 2013. This was my first stay at this resort. I have always stayed at the Iberostar Rosehall Suites. Below is my review of this resort.
1. Calling ahead of your visit is the key. I emailed the resort with my requests. I wanted the top floor with a fantastic view and corner room preferrred. We were in the Preferred Club Building 4 Room 4418. The view was spectular and the room was fantastic. No complaints about the room, room service (it does take a while for room services about 30 minutes), turn down service and mini fridge replenishment daily.
2. Arrival at airport - Representative from Amstar was there to greet us and immediately got us on the bus and off to the resort. Representative was at the St. James when we arrived. She gave us a cold towel and each a bottle of water. She told us our room was ready and walked us over to the St. James Preferred Club and the Bell Hop with our luggage. Check in was fast and easy. We were given our welcome drink and our welcome package. We did had to check in to receive the vouchers that is when they push the Vacation Club. I have to admit I only attended to get the free Mobay passes for the return home. It does help not to stand in the long lines to get thru security and their lounge is very relaxing before getting on your return flight home. They do not pressure you to buy once you say no. We were in there probably 1 hour.
3. In the room was a welcome and we had a letter congratulating us on our anniversary. My husband and I went to lunch at the world cafe upon our return to the room we had cheese/crackers and fruit, a bottle of champaign and a basket of fresh flowers. We really felt special.
4. We only tried the Blue Mountain, Italian and Japanese Restuarant and the food was okay. I have to say my best was the Japanese Restaurant the entertainment alone was the best. Make sure you get reservations for the Hibachi table it is well worth it. We ate off the resort a couple times we went to the Fish Hut and Sandy Beach. The food is worth the visit.
5. There is a 10 minute walk if you are staying in the preferred club to the restuarant and all the shops and etc. They are all on the wild orchid side but I did not mind the walk and if it is raining they provide umbrella's thru out the resort for your use.
6. Preferred Club is worth the money you pay. THe food in the Preferred club is good and you can take anything you wish to your room. You are on vacation treat yourself to the preferred Club.
7. Dress Code is printed daily in the Sundail which was left in our room nightly. I cannot speak for any other time but only the week I was there. I do not know if they change their policy or what. Men only have to wear long pants in the french restaurant which we did not attend. My husband had shorts and a collarded shirt and we were not excluded from any restaurant. The wait for a table was never more than 5 minutes.
8. I was not thrilled about the entertainment. The only good thing they had was the local band that played until 9:30 pm in the theather. The other entertainment was not good at all to me. After 9:30 pm there wasn't much to do on the resort but hang out at the bar if that is your thing. They have a few slot machines and pool tables for your entertainment. I did not buy anything at the store. My first day I was just craving some Doritos and I went to the store and of course hey are expensive $2.00 but you could not pay cash you had to charge it to your room or credit card so be aware of this.
9. It is true on the reviews about the Jerk Chicken Cart. They have one located at St. James and the Wild Orchid. It is good.
10. THe beach is abit rocky. I did see people put towels on the chairs but it did not bother me we were always able to find chairs. We stayed at the beach on the preferred side.
11. Didn't get a chance to try the water sports the days were going to try them it rained - but if you did it once you have done it a thousand times.
12. Last but not least this is couples resort whether you are staying on the Wild Orchid or the St. James side. The Spa was fantastic.
13. If you wish to ask me questions I would be more than happy to respond. Keep in mind everyone is never going to be pleased with everything. This is Jamaica and everything is expensive in Jamaica. People are expecting more based upon some of the reviews I read but keep in mind you are going for vacation and whether the food is at your liking I am sure thru out the entire resort you will find something that you like. The key is you are on vacation enjoy your time in Jamaica it was an fantastic trip for me and my husband. We will definitely return again next year.

Room Tip: Higher Rooms has the best views with the trees on the resort. A corner room is always the best room...
9 Thank dosick
Mahwah, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I read the reviews extensively and decided to try a new MoBay resort. It was a mistake. I won't bore you with all of the same good aspects. They are unchanged. Make sure you are aware, that most of the restaurants are "open air" at night and it can be hot, humid and buggy.
The property is nice. The "village" of restaurants is located in the middle of Wild Orchid. No big deal to walk.
The Preferred Pool Bar was under renovation, but the temporary tent bar had no electric, so the bartender couldn't make frozen drinks. We were told to walk down to the other pool bar if we wanted frozen drinks, as there was limited waiter service. Not TOO Preferred.
In three days of a booked 8 night stay, we encountered endless cold meals. Sounds ridiculous I know, but true. They serve their food on the absolute hottest plates I've ever seen, yet the food, beautifully presented, is cold. I will not belabor this point because upon making our displeasure known, the Preferred Manager, Isabel, and the new Director of Food & Beverage, Carlos, (only on the job for 10 days) did sit down and listen to our comments. They did attempt to correct the issues, as best that they could, but to no avail.
After our sit-down, our dinner, once again was cold and needed to be sent back to the kitchen. It was very annoying.
We have stayed at other Secrets/Dreams properties before and never experienced this type of issue.
We checked out after 3 days (and Secrets agreed to refund the balance of our stay) and relocated to the Iberostar Grande. It was a good decision.
I don't know why the previous Food & Beverage Manager left (quit, relocate, demoted, fired?). That was not disclosed to us, but Carlos certainly has his hands full.
When it came to food & beverage, this resort had the flavor of a "newly opened" resort......trying to get the bugs out.
Don't go here expecting your typical Secrets level of quality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank almtyr0b
Dear Valued Guest:

As a valued guest of our resort we appreciate and thank you for taking the time to highlight the areas of your vacation which pleased you and those by which you were not fully satisfied. I am disappointed that everything was not up to your expectation and can assure you that this is not the norm. Our culinary department is usually considered exceptional and we are constantly working on improving the quality and taste. Your review has been forwarded to our food and beverage director and I can assure you that In light of your recent experience even more effort will be placed on ensuring that we strike excellence in this area. Once again we are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Providing a complete experience of overall excellence to all guests is our priority and we do use all feedback to help us in our future plans. We do regret that you decided to leave earlier than scheduled and I do hope that you will consider giving our resort a second chance.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Secrets St. James 7/31-8/4. We went to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Stayed in room 3449.

Airport in Montego Bay – When we arrived it was a nightmare getting through immigration. It took an hour and a half. Departure was better because we spent $30 per person to be part of the MoBay club. It is definitely worth it. Once you print out your boarding passes and check your bags,(also nightmarish) you get escorted quickly through immigration and the scanners at the airport. You are then taken to the club that includes free drinks, alcohol and food. It is a place to relax away from the busy airport gate. If you participate in the “time share” appointment at Secrets, the MoBay club is one of your freebee options. The airport is only about a 15-20 minute ride away from the hotel. You can see and hear the planes coming into the airport from the hotel. It isn't constant and it wasn't an annoyance, especially for us living in NJ with close proximity to major airports. We have more air traffic at home.

Food – Excellent at the Bordeaux and Portofino. Filet Mignon with Lobster tail and Lasagna very good choices. World Cafe had lobster tail buffet on Saturday night, and it was excellent also. World Cafe for lunch and breakfast wasn't bad. There are enough choices to satisfy you. Ate at the Oceana for dinner and lunch, but would pass on it if we were to returned. My husband ate the famous “jerk chicken” which was good, but spicy. Had room service for breakfast with champagne, but they didn't give us the bacon or potatoes we asked for and the vegetable omelette was filled with jalapenos so it was very hot and not edible. Unfortunately, we weren't there long enough to eat anywhere else. No reservations needed and we didn't wait long to be seated. There are some restaurants were men can wear shorts. You just have to check. The walk over to the restaurants on the Wild Orchid side is not bad at all.

Room – There was a sign on the door that said “Happy Anniversary” and a platter of fresh fruit. Champagne was waiting for us, but we had to call for it and decided we wanted to go out and explore the grounds. The room was smaller than most of the suite style hotels that we stayed in. Nice view of ocean and preferred club pool. We didn't do the preferred club though. We stayed on the 4th floor. Higher floors have better views. The maid service was good and she did clean up, but the room could have used a major cleaning. For example, there were stains on the lamp shade next to the bed and built up mold and excessive wear on the glass door between the shower and the toilet. The sofa in the sitting area was a bit dingy and worn. No problem getting extra towels and wash clothes, we just had to ask for them. The bed was extremely comfortable and so were the pillows. There was also night time turn down service.

Safe – At one point we couldn't get into our safe and not sure why. We called the lobby and within 5 minutes one of the staff came in to reset it. Felt secure putting our “valuables in it”.

Lobby, hotel and check in service - The lobby of the hotel was small and not open air like some island hotels. It took awhile before someone offered us a drink. At other hotels, the wait staff hands you a drink as soon as you walk in, so this was a little disappointing. I think if you go preferred it might be different. Everyone was very nice and professional. The hotel grounds were well kept and very pretty.
When we arrived at the hotel we were escorted to the check in clerk then to another representative that wanted us to participate in a “time-share” meeting the following day for breakfast. We decided not to do it because we really only had 3 days to relax. However, after talking to some guests, if you did attend you were given the choice of free wifi, free massage or free passes to the MoBay club at the airport. The coupons they give you are a waste because everything is so expensive. The coupon only pays for a portion of the actual cost. For example, $10 off a $50 bottle of wine. Not worth it.

Alcohol - The rum drinks were fine, wine was tolerable, red was better than white. No pinot grigio by the glass. Be leary of the “top shelf” alcohol. Another reviewer cautioned about this also. I believe they really don't serve you top shelf at all the bars. I witnessed an empty bottle of Grey Goose put off to the side then taken by an employee then returned with it ¾ of the way full with a cork in it. I did get sick the next morning after drinking what I thought was Grey Goose vodka and that is unusual for me. One night I asked for Grey Goose and the waiter said they only had Absolut. I am assuming that this restaurant was not deceiving us because they could have given us anything.

Beach - The weather this time of year tends to be rainy in the afternoons. We only had one day with no rain at all. I suggest getting up early so you can enjoy the sun. The clouds roll in around 2 with rain around 3. We didn't go to the pools, but the beach is nice, but small. There was always a place to sit and the water is absolutely beautiful. Surprisingly, it is cool enough to get refreshed after sitting in the sun. No card service for towels which was nice, but the towels were worn. Wait staff was around to take your drink orders and there were barrels filled with bottle water around the hotel grounds.

Tipping – We did tip because we think it is the right thing to do, even though it is included. These people work really hard and don't get paid that much. However, tipping didn't change the service.

Entertainment – We are laided back people so the only thing we did was listen to the house band “Pace” at night. The first night we heard them, their lead signer was a female and she was excellent. The rest of the nights there was a male lead singer. At the World Cafe buffet, one of the waiters sings every day too.

Shops – Gift shops were very expensive. Only one night during the week (Wednesday) do they allow vendors to come in and you can negotiate prices. If you miss that night and want to buy stuff to bring home then you are stuck paying the higher prices or have to go into the city.

Gym - My husband went to the gym and would rate it as very good. They had fresh orange juice, towels, water and apples. Good Cybex equipment, but could use a fan for better circulation.

Overall, Secrets St. James was a nice place to stay for couples. No wrist bands which was nice also. Staff was nice, but no one was over the top spectacular. I was very disappointed in the deception of the top shelf liquor. We went there to have a relaxing anniversary and we did. I probably would not go back because I like trying different places, but I would definitely stay at another Secrets some place else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors there is a better view.
2 Thank lwestnj
#15 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,837 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!