“Dream Holiday”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Having read all the reviews on here, our expectations were certainly high. It certainly did not disappoint, this resort is amazing from start to finish.

We stayed in the "standard" room on the 3rd floor, huge king size bed, balcony with sea view, whirlpool bath, rainfall shower etc etc. Room was cleaned twice a day and let's not forget the included mini bar, receptionist told us to drink it up as they like to refill it! Of course I had to oblige!

All 8 restaurants are incredible and we honestly did not have a bad meal in any. Staff very attentive, quality food and drink. Our favourite was the Jamaican one but the French one was a very close second. Also, you don't have to book anywhere unless you want to sit at the chefs table in the Asian place. Breakfast and lunch buffets also very good and look out for the speciality nights (surf n turf night, BBQ night and my fave...lobster night) all these are in the World Cafe. On the food front, you must try the jerk chicken served on the beach front from 12pm. Even if you don't like spicy like myself, it's still a must, so tasty.

Overall a cracking holiday and if I did have any faults it would be the attitude of literally 2 members of staff (guy at one of the bars and our check out receptionist) but hey they could of just had a bad day!

Will we go back?? Yeah Mon! No Problem!

Room Tip: 3rd floor and above to make sure you get a good sea view
3  Thank Mark W
Write a ReviewReviews (6,707)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at secrets at the beginning of may,it was a surprise holiday to celebrate my 40th and I can't think of anywhere I would rather have spent it!! We stayed in the preferred suites which were amazing with fantastic views out to the ocean,the room was kept spotlessly clean and I had daily towel and petal designs left on the bed and a rose petal bath waiting for me on the evening of my birthday.
Check in was one of the fastest we've ever done,with cool towels and a welcome drink waiting for us,very friendly helpful staff we felt at home straight away,throughout the week staff were happy to help us in any way.
Food was good (you must try the lobster),the choice of restaurants is fantastic,something to suit everyone,the jerk chicken cart is also a must!!
We spent most of our time by the preferred side pool, very quiet and relaxing,poolside service was excellent,the cocktails just kept coming!!
I cannot recommend this hotel enough,I will have very special memories of this hotel for a long time and would definitely like to return one day.
Thank you all at secrets for making my birthday one to remember .

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cinders73
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to be of service to you and for including us in your birthday celebration. We are certainly pleased that we were able to meet your expectations.

It is great to know that you enjoyed your accommodations and the service provided and it is pleasing to know you were satisfied with the quick and great service provided to you at check-in. We are glad to hear that all the staff was both friendly and helpful and was there to help at all times.

We definitely look forward to that return visit, as it was our pleasure to being of service to you both.

Warm + kind regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked my all inclusive trip with Secrets for May 2013 and I have to say this is the best resort I have ever stayed at from the moment my girlfriend and I arrived. Our Hotel representative, Nadia, provided excellent customer service to us and was very helpful coordinating our experience. I also have to say that I will never forget Nadia because she helped me plan my proposal to my girlfriend (who did say yes). The rest of the staff, especially Alvin and Mark at the pool bar, were very kind and helpful providing excellent customer service. There were several restaurants to choose from including an Italian, Mexican, Jamaican, French, and Hibachi options. The views along the beach were incredible and the entertainment at the piano bar was fun for either killing time while waiting to be seated for dinner or just grabbing a couple drinks. Furthermore, everyone who was visiting the resort seemed relaxed, so there were no issues with anyone or any crowds causing a disturbance. Finally, I would like to say that I had a great time and would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

1  Thank scott a

Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for sharing your review with us via Trip Advisor and we are so happy you had a great time staying here at Secrets St James.

Our team members make every effort in ensuring all our guests are well taken care of and receives the best customer service making their stay at our resort a wonderful and relaxing one. It is therefore pleasing to know that Nadia and other team members were able to enhance your vacation experience.

Your recognition of our staff members is very well appreciated and it will definitely be passed on to them. It is indeed pleasing to know that you were satisfied with the many variety of dining choices and the entertainment.

We look forward to a return visit and we thank you for making Secrets Resorts your vacation destination.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I went to St James to celebrate your wedding Anniversary. The experience was awesome from check in. We only had one issue with our room, the A/C unit was leaking. we called the front desk and they assured as the issue would be fixed but by the time we were going for dinner no one had showed up to fix the problem. My Wife at this point was extremely pissed, while at dinner my wife spoke to the relief restaurant manger Gregory who was not pleased by what we told him he immediately took the phone, spoke to the front desk and they changed our room the next morning. Thanks to Gregory and Relaine we got a really nice room oceanfront and our vacation started. Relaine at the front desk ensured we were taken care off the hotel comp'd us with a better room, Romantic dinner at the beach and access to the Preferred club. The food at the resort was great, jerk chicken was the best and the drinks were insane. If there is someone at the resort I would recommend to anyone going to St James to look for that would be Neville the bartender he is the best, he makes awesome drinks and they don't stop coming, he has a book of drinks in his head. Neville is a talented bar tender. We were there for six nights and every night we would ask him were he would be working the next day. Neville made our experience in Jamaica the best. He is respectful, funny and actually cares about making your experience at the resort wonderful. I am definitely go back to St James just because of Neville, Relaine, Gregory and Nikita(front desk). As for Neville promote him immediately to a managerial position he cares about the resort and its reputation. I would recommend Secrets St James to anyone looking for a wonderful place to relax, clean beaches and great entertainment. Lots of thanks to Neville, Relaine, Gregory and Nikita. seeya soon. Mike & Sheena

Room Tip: Oceanfront view I think it was room 3522.
1  Thank Michael W
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We recently stayed on the St James side of secrets. We were three couples that requested rooms on the same floor prior to check in. Upon arrival we were told our rooms were on the first floor. All couples had requested 3rd floor or higher. After a two hour wait to accommodate our needs we secured rooms on the 4th and 5th floor. I would say the check in process was very painful. When you arrive at your destination you expect a quick check in to start your vacation. Overall this was the worst experience any of our group have experienced at check in. Secrets you need to improve on this process. When we arrived we were taken to the bar to get a drink while others who arrived after us stood in line to wait to check in. When I realized this I went to stand in line to check in. Not sure why the process takes so long. On e we finally secured our rooms I can say that we had an awesome time. Food was good at all restaurants we tried. The staff were very friendly. We enjoyed the ightnsife entertainment, pool activities and water sports. We found the St James very quiet. You have to try the jerk chicken from the cart it is the best! All in all a great location minus the painful check in process.

Room Tip: Request higher room for great views.
2  Thank JEvans11_11

Dear Valued Guest:

We certainly appreciate you posting your review to Trip Advisor and thank you for making Secret St James your vacation destination of choice.

We are happy you had a great experience here with us at Secrets St James and you enjoyed the food, the service and both day and night entertainment.

It is indeed troubling, to note your experience at check-in, as efficiency in our delivery of service is of importance to us. Nevertheless, we do regret this long wait you faced upon arrival and must state that this is not the norm for us. Your review is greatly valued and I can assure you that changes have already been implemented to address and correct this process.

With this in mind we hope, you will give our Resort an opportunity to serve you again and experience our team at our improved best.

We do look forward to a return visit as we welcome you back Home on a future visit.

Warm + kind regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I have visited Jamaica twice a year since 2009. We have traveled during the months of July, November, March, and May. The weather has been beautiful on all of our trips.

Secrets is a beautiful resort. It is smaller than other chains that we have stayed at but still reasonable for walking. The rooms are beautiful. It is a very romantic atmosphere that I would recommend for couples. The only complaint that I have about the room is that as other reviewers have mentioned, the showers leak.

We were repeat guests and given the royal treatment...wine and fruit in our room upon arrival, an aromatherapy bath complete with champagne and rose petals, and breakfast in bed. It was the most romantic vacation ever!

The food is good. Love the Blue Mountain Cafe. Service was always good. The beach is beautiful.

I will return. A bonus is that the resort is only 20 minutes from the airport. The downside to this is that planes land at all hours and are visible from the beach. To decide if this is for you, you need to determine if closeness to the airport outways being in a remote location.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank PolaMichi

Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for taking the time to post your experience to Trip Advisor and it is indeed wonderful to know that you enjoyed all the amenities provided.

We are happy in knowing that you were satisfied with the service, the beach, and the food. It was our pleasure hosting you and we do thank you for making Secrets St James your vacation destination of choice.

Once again your review is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back Home soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

A group of us just got back (traveled May 23-28, 2013) from Secret St James and I thought I would write a review. During my research of Secrets prior to our trip, I read reviews on this site and I could tell some people let a bad experience ruin their entire trip or if they just thought going all-inclusive meant that you shouldn't have common courtesy. I went on our trip with an open mind and no pre-conceived notion as to what to expect.

This trip was my first time to Jamaica and my first time at an all-inclusive.

Which Resort?
Secrets in Jamaica has two resorts on the property in Jamaica. Its hard to tell which one you want to stay at, but I kind of figured out the best way to help people choose. If you want to be near the action during the day time, you should stay at either the St James or Wild Orchid Non-Preferred. The pools at both resorts are booming with activity throughout the day with lots of events taking place at each pool. If you want to stay near the action at night, the Wild Orchid Preferred Club is the place to go. Everything at night takes place by this building and music plays all night until about 2 am. Not sure if you could hear it in the rooms, but I imagine you might could. If you don't mind a 5 minute walk along the beach to get to the action, St James Preferred club is the way to go. It is very tranquil both day and night, even with the bands playing on the outdoor stage.

The food we had at this resort was AWESOME, with the exception of the Mexican restaurant (it was good, but I've had better back at home). I took a different approach to ALL my meals! I told each server that I wanted whatever THEY thought was the best. I didn't notice until my wife pointed it out to me, but each server seemed to enjoy doing it. If you aren't a picky eater and enjoy a good surprise meal, try this! Sometimes, the "best thing on the menu", isn't even on the menu! I would recommend contacting your concierge before you leave to schedule time at the Himatsu Japanese restaurant. It fills up fast!

Tipping
I read alot of reviews before our trip that said tipping was "expected". I can honestly say that I didn't feel at all that I was "expected" to tip when I was on the resort. (Off resort, different story). I believe you should tip someone anytime you get good service, so tipping at an all-inclusive resort is something I don't mind doing. I treated each person in the restaurants and bars like I was back home. I did tip our servers and bartenders, because they provide me with excellent service and deserved it. Just like normal, the amount of the tip depended on the quality of the service.

Bars
The drinks at the bars were great! I'd recommend asking each bartender to make their signature drink. Some are good, and some are just too sweet.

Rooms
This is the one thing I was sort of bummed about. We stayed in the preferred club junior oceanview suite. What we got was a room facing the ocean, with a massive palm tree in front of the balcony. I wouldn't call it "oceanview", but I didn't complain becuase I was just happy to be on my trip. I'd recommend asking for a room higher than the 2nd floor to ensure you get Oceanview Floors 1 and 2 are hit and miss based on room number.

Preferred Club vs. Non-Preferred Club
So! Should you stay preferred or non-preferred? Great question and the answer is whether its of value to you? Our group enjoyed access to a full bar with finger foods in the preferred club lounge, often having a snack or making a drink before walking to dinner. We didn't use the soaking tub on the balcony because 3/4 height walls separating balconies seemed to make it less "private" (each resort was the same on wall height). We did enjoy having access to the pool that DIDN'T have everything going on at it like the non-preferred pools. We weren't asked until our last full day (out of 5) if we had a Preferred Room or not, so I'm not sure how "enforced" it is. We all agreed that staying in the preferred club at St. James was best for us because was just wanted to relax and not "party"...

The Bad
Overall, we had a fantastic trip until one night our friends room was broken in to by someone. We aren't sure who it was, but I would recommend to everyone to lock up everything of value in your room, INCLUDING any room keys that you aren't using! Also, make sure you lock the balcony as well. You might think that this would ruin someones trip, but the resort did a great job of talking with our friends to find out what they could do to make their last full day on the resort a pleasant stay! Thank you to the folks in management and security for working with them through that process.

Would we go Back?
our group talked about this on our way home, and we all agreed, even the people that had things stolen, that we would DEFINITELY go back to the resort! It was a fantastic trip and we enjoyed every minute of it!

I hope this review helps explain things about the resort and clear up whether you should stay here or not...

Room Tip: Some preferred club oceanview rooms are not oceanview because of palm trees. Ask for floors 3 or 4...
12  Thank Michael P