“Excellent Vacation!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent Vacation!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Susan and I recently stayed for 2 weeks at this great resort! This is the first time that we enjoyed a resort enough to return. We were in St James last year for 2 weeks also.
We arrived at 11:50 in the AM and were graciously given a cold drink and a cold cloth to cool our face. We were quickly checked in and told that our room may be a little while before it was ready. We strolled out to the pool area to glance around and 5 min later our room was ready. From the moment we arrived til the moment we left we never lifted a bag or sweated the details. Christoffer Brown our Concierge was awesome!
We met the Executive Chef, Jose Alias on his rounds and the man was extremely nice. He chatted with us for a while and over the next two weeks we observed him on his rounds and the man was into everything. He was checking with the guests, the servers, checking the quality and safety of the food and the display. Always he asked us if we were happy and what could be done to improve our stay. His staff were always smiling and very attentive to our every need.
We also had the pleasure of Meeting Emilio Huhn, the General Manager of the resort. Again on his rounds checking on the servers, the grounds and chatting with the guests. The executive in charge of the landscaping was with him . I am so impressed with the grounds that I offered my congratulations on an awesome job, everything was perfect and the gardners and landscape crews were constantly working around the clock as unobtrusively as possible.
This year there were peacocks wondering the grounds or as we began to refer to them as Jamaican roosters. They are lovely and a nice touch. The food as last time was amazing. We tried all of the restaurants again. Our favorite for dress up was Bordeaux, and our fave for dress down was Oceana. The Lamb Chops at Bordeaux and the steak and mashed at Oceana.
Some of the servers from last year came up and hugged us and said welcome home, Simone, Yvette, and Carrie Anne....absolutely the best servers! And a shout to Michael and Donald at the preferred pool, made our days very good. The manager of the Italian restaurant recognized us and came and chatted with us and made us feel very welcome....all of these touches are what makes St James so amazing. We met great friends and acquaintances on these trips, people who were interesting and genuinely enjoyed life! Little touches here and there...a cheese plate and wine in the room, excellent turn down service, great daily maid service by Claudia ! Champagne another day...none requested...just there waiting...:)
We took advantage of the spa...Susan had her nails done and then we booked a salt body scrub followed by a massage....awesome...I fell asleep twice! The bed was very comfortable...The only improvement I could suggest would be 600 count Egyptian cotton...lol, but what was there was very comfortable. ( have to have 1 suggestion each time..lol)
the girls waiting tables at the piano bar were fast and very friendly and the drinks were amazing from martinis to single malt everything was good!
Well done once again Secrets St James for exceeding our expectations and Mr Huhn, you run a very tight ship!

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor facing spa has great view of ocean and very private....Preferred had quietest rooms...
2 Thank John M
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

It was such a pleasure to read your review!

We are delighted that we had the opportunity of hosting you again and furthermore, able to meet your expectations and deliver the excellent quality of service and Resort amenities that we did.

It was certainly our collective pleasure to be of service and we hope to welcome you home again soon!

Warmest regards,

Nicola
Social Networking eConcierge/Executive Office Manager
econcierge.sesmb@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,313)
  • Czech first
Kleinburg, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having done only all inclusives as couples and family over the years we were apprehensive about taking this trip as it was the most expensive one we have ever taken. However we travelled with two other couples and one was celebrating their honeymoon so we had to step up to the plate .

Mo Bay is one of our preferred destinations as it’s a short ride from the airport and we do love the food and vibe of the culture..

Jamaican customs was very efficient however you must fill out the forms given on the plane properly as they will ask you to complete before proceeding to an agent.

Our shuttle service pick up was late approximately 30 minutes that is very unusual on these types of trips. The resort is a short drive of fifteen minutes however we hit Jamaican rush hour and it took at least double that.

When we arrived our check in there was no line-ups and you sit down with one of their check in receptionist,

Our room was equipped with a deep sunken tub, private toilet, rainforest shower, dual vanity sinks, and balcony with furniture. The nice touch is the butler box so you don’t have to answer the door when ordering room service, and the “do not disturb” light. When we had this on housekeeping never disturbed us.

Breakfast/Lunch
The breakfast buffet we enjoyed the usual omelet’s and everyone in our group commented on how good the breakfast was.
You can have lunch here as well or the restaurant by the pool, which were also good.

Every day there was two jerk chicken carts that would proceed along the walkway from one resort to the other. The jerk chicken was amazing and we all had it every day.

There is also a lunch hut by the beach area serving burgers/hot dogs/Jamaican patties/potato chips.

Dinner:
There are five ala Carte restaurants to choose from every night and only one required a reservation the Japanese. We tried the Italian twice (everyone’s favorite) French, Mexican, and Japanese. It’s a welcome change not to have to line up every morning to make reservations. Although our group of six always had to put our name on the list we would hang out by the piano bar adjacent to the restaurant area for drinks.

Liquor
Drinks are top shelf quality and served only in the resort and were also made generously as the women kept asking for weaker drinks. Poolside drinks were of lesser-known brands.

Pools:
Although we were booked at St. James we stayed around the Wild Orchid pool as it was less busy and we were able to have drinks at the swim up pool bar quite frequently. Both pool areas come with cushions for the lounge chairs and you can have as many towels as you want. Another welcome change from other all-inclusive. During our stay there was never an issue finding chairs, as there were so many in abundance in the morning.

Beach:
This is the only weakest point of Mobay and this resort. I would rate it 3 out of 5 stars as it’s small, can’t go for long walks, and some areas had far too many pebbles and were hard on the feet.

Entertainment:
Every evening from 8:30 to 10:30 there was a live band playing outside the piano bar area by the beach. All good quality bands.

On our last day there was a large group of 370 guests that arrived so not sure how this was going to affect service.

Overall an upscale resort catering to couples and a mature crowd. This “Secrets” brand is definitely a repeat choice for our next travel arrangements.

3 Thank thebear59
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we hope to welcome you back Home again soon.
We are indeed happy that you chose Secrets Resorts & Spa as your vacation destination and that we were able to meet your expectations. We do make every effort to provide our guests with excellent customer service and it is thrilling to hear you had such a great time and were impressed by the service received from our team members.

Thank you once again for your kind words and we are awaiting your return.

Best Regards
Caulette Mornan
Social Networking eConcierge
Carmel, Indiana

This is funny!

If you look for my review back in January of 2012, I worte a very thurough review of Secrets St James. It was a very good review but we decided at that point that we wouldn't return as there were too many other places to visit and we wanted to move about.

Hindsight is 20/20.... After looking at several places and thinking back about the great time that we had, we decided to go again late February to the 2nd of March.

Secrets St James was as remembered. Clean facilities, friendly people and good times. It still amazes me as to how a few people give them bad reviews.

This is our 8th all inclusive stay and Secrets St James has been the best with Dreams in Cabo San Lucas a close 2nd.

The staff, Melloh, Micky Mouse, The King and others kept the pool activities going. Dwayne at the pool bar and Phillip at the Piano Bar were great as well. Joy in the lobby is probably the nicest person on staff that we met.

Once again the food was very good at every restaruant. Himitzu gets the top vote again... It is the only restaruant that you need reservations for if you want to eat at the grill. Get them a day or two ahead of time and book it for a couple of nights.

The piano bar and staff were fun as usual. 7-8 pm and after 10:30 so not too late to have a great time.

The Spa is one of the very best that we have visited. The hydrotherapy area is awesome!

Not only will we return but we definately recommend Secret's St James and Wild Orchid.

Room Tip: Rooms at St James and St James Preferred Club are quieter as they are a very short walk to the resta...
2 Thank Mel M
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We are delighted to know you chose us yet once again and we did not let you down a second time.
Ensuring each and every guest is happy and comfortable while staying with us and also leaves satisfied is a top priority for us. Glad you received the service you expected or remembered us to have and making our resort the best all inclusive one.
Thanks for your recommendations and tips on dinner reservations, spa services and rooms. It is greatly appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back Home! Hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Best all-inclusive reort I've vacationed. My wife and I stayed at Secrets July 2012, and were impressed by the hotel, the quality of food, scenic views, proximity to the airport, service, free wifi-that works on the beach, and the top-shelf liquor choices. Only pitfall was lack of beach as it was small.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

As a resort we do make guest satisfaction our main focus. Your positive feedback does please us and is a true reflection of our collective efforts as a team. We are happy that you enjoyed everything and can assure you that things will only get better as time progresses.

Thanks for sharing!

Warm Regards,
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I honeymooned at Secrets St. James in December 2012. I am only just not discovering TripAdvisor or I would have posted much sooner! We had such an amazing trip. My only complaint is that we had to leave! The staff was absolutely amazing. The grounds were spectacular. Our room was always clean. We chose to spend most of our honeymoon poolside because that is where the Entertainment Crew hung out, and they really made our trip that much better! Alister, Genius, and Moya were especially great. They really made us feel welcome. Because we were on our honeymoon, we were offered a complimentary Champagne breakfast-in-bed, but we decided to skip it in order to see our favorite World Cafe waiters Sophia and Oscar. Sophia and Oscar always made sure our day got off to a great start with never-ending cups of Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. If you go to the Japanese restaurant, I recommend asking for Marlon, he was hilarious! Be prepared for a sing-a-long! The poolside bar, The Manatee, had great bartenders. Dante and Cordiff were our favorites. When we did decide to lay by the beach, there were servers who would take our drink orders so we were never without! We visited the Japanese restaurant, French restaurant, Italian restaurant, and the World Café(breakfast.) Everything we ate was delicious! My husband frequented the Jerk Chicken Cart every day and loved it. For lunch or snacks, the BareFoot Grill was great. I loved their thick-cut potato chips. The Barefoot Grill also has a soda fountain and Red Stripe on tap, which I didn’t realize right away. We have already booked another trip to Secrets St. James to celebrate our 1-year anniversary. We plan to go back as often as we can! The last thing I am going to say is this: the fact that I remember all of these details and all of these people’s names nearly 3 months after our stay there really says a lot about the impression the resort made on us. We miss everyone at Secrets and cannot wait to be “welcomed home” in December 2013! Much love, Anna and Chuck

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank conshyanna
Dear Valued Guest:

We are also sad that you had to leave and are already looking forward to your return to our resort. It is great to know that there were so many aspects of our resort that you were able to enjoy. This does give us much confidence in knowing that we are doing a great job and will certainly help us in making the necessary improvements for future.

See you again soon!

Warm Regards,
Everywhere
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Check-in: Was fairly quick. I arrived at 130pm and was told my room wasn't ready but while I was asking questions about where to get lunch it 'popped' up on the screen as ready. Received the requisite glass of champagne and washcloth

Room: Requested 4th or 5th floor and got it. Room was nicely set up with jacuzzi tub in bathroom, rain shower, frosted door leading to toilet area and his/her vanities. Was always cleaned daily albeit at different times

Skip this section if you don't want to read about the do not disturb thing. This is where the do not disturb comes in.They have the red light switch system as do most new Secrets where if you don't want to be disturbed you flip the switch outside your door to red. However, I got disturbed by housekeeping at 9am knocking then coming in while I was in bed, the turn down lady as I'm trying to nap on the couch and the most embarrassing the mini-fridge guy knocking then coming straight in as I was on the toilet!. I did discuss this with the housekeeper and the turn down housekeeping, so then the turn down housekeeper resorted to calling in the evening when the light was on which is bascially the same affect as her knocking on the door until I come open it (disturbing). I took the phone off the hook after that.I know there is a sign they are supposed to put on the door saying hey we can to clean and the light was on etc so whats the deal?? It really took til day 5 for me to get the staff to observe the sign and even then the toilet issue happened on the last day of my visit so down 1 star for that alone. I did tell the desk and they were apologetic and told me to ask for the do not distub sign also next time but that doesn't do much for the embarrassment factor and the feel of lack of privacy daily.

Service: Throughout the resort some of the best I have encountered worldwide with the exception of Excellence resorts in my opinion. Excellence just does that extra step to me. Servers always had a smile and tried to make things right. I will say I thought the restrooms around the pool/piano bar/lounge area could have used more frequent service and were no way near as meticulously kept as the othe Secrets I've encountered

Food: For the record, I mostly eat chicken and turkey for meats so most meals will be about those. Breakfast was the best meal for me. There is no EGGS or ANY type of breakfast meat on the room service menu and I swear I remember seeing it on there my first day, so if you want anything other than fruit, you have to go to World Cafe. Same traditional American and Jamaican offerings daily but really I don't know what else you could want for breakfast (grits maybe-yum). Lunch was for me at the buffet. The food was hot, had a great variety and plentiful. I tried the jerk chicken cart and that is not the jerk sauce I'm accustomed to in Jamaica and found off-resort. It tasted like BBQ to me. One of the chefs offered to have some spicy jerk sauce put on the cart one day for me and it was just ok. The wraps at Oceana were decent but again the jerk chicken fell short for me because of the lack of flavorful sauce. Pizza at other outdoor grill was lukewarm so couldn't have been fresh but was ok.
Dinner: Was my least fav and usually is at Secrets resorts as time I get up from my afternoon siesta I'm not very hungry and it's around 9pm. Portifino: Aw dang. This is usually my fav at all Secrets but everything I got tasted like it had been sitting out for a while and was not hot at all. I did tell the server and he offered to warm it but forget it. I don't want warmed up spaghetti and chicken parm. Blue mountain: the appetizers were pretty good (spring roll with ackee) and was warm at least. I got the chicken with rice/peas. Not sure what kind of sauce was on the chicken but it was good but the chicken meat was dry to me. They offered to bring me more side items but that's okay. Once my appetite is spoiled it's over. World Cafe seafood night: If you like seafood this is your spot. Now me I don't care much for seafood but did my best to try a little of all and best of all the food was hot eventhough I arrived at my usual 9-930 time. Best dinner was at Seafood Grill: Yummy chicken of course with chimichurri spices, corn on the cob and a baked potato. The food was hot and tasted fresh. Thumbs up. Dont know why I didn't try it sooner

Drinks: If you drink tequila, forget it but the rum is plentiful. As I told the one manager, I don't know Pepe (tequila) and I don't want to to know him. If you want any other beer then red stripe, it is only available at lobby and sometimes the piano bar and they do run out frequently. Same goes for most 'top shelf' liquors such as Grey Goose. Stolis, Jim Bean and Jack seems to be plentiful everywhere. The rum punch and drink menu items mostly are in pre-made jugs and seem ok if the jug is fresh but I had more than 1 rum punch that tasted 'stale' so I quit on any of those drinks that were pre-made deals

Pools/Beach: Not as 'pretty' a set up on either side(St James or Wild Orchid) as other Secrets resorts. No wow factor and good luck with the chairs at Wild Orchid pool. I got to sit at that pool 1 day of 9 days I was there and never did get to sit at the beach before 4pm. I did rise around 9am daily and the chair game is in effect big time here. Some of the worst I've seen. Just an FYI and not the resorts fault. It's the rude guests that reserve chairs at the beach and pool all day then hardly or never use them. I didn't care for the cove beach much, kinda rocky and reminded me of a TX beach (not good). Just my opinion.

Check-out/return?: Efficient and I did put my concerns in the required review. I would def return as I enjoyed the Jamaican people and the service but could be convinced to check out the Secrets the Vine in Mexico as I know I can get some good tequila :).

PS: El Patio serves late night snacks from 1030 to 2am. Hotdogs, hamburgers etc and check out Coco Cafe for the pineapple upside down cake and the little deli sandwiches for lunch one day

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank davissummer24
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We wish to thank you for taking the time to inform us of your stay. It is our aim as a resort to achieve ultimate guest satisfaction, we do therefore regret the less than satisfactory incident that you encountered with respect to the privacy light. We do hope it will bring you some comfort to know that we are continuously making enhancements to our staff training and general daily functions which will ultimately result in a superior service to our guest.

We thank you for your acknowledgement of the many things that you did enjoy during your stay with us and are glad that our staff were able to provide you with quality customer service.

It is our hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to be of service once again.

Warmest regards,

Nicola Maxwell
Social Networking eConcierge/Executive Office Manager

econcierge.sesmb@secretsresorts.com
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We spent a week at Secrets St James preferred in February 2013. we had such a great time! The resort is beautiful. There are many options for restaurants and pools and we had good experiences at all of them. The grounds are wonderful. And the people who work there were AMAZING! From Nardia at the St James Preferred welcome desk to all of our favorites at the piano bar... Shane the amazing entertainer, bartender favorites Rayon, Simome an Danaine, the staff was kind, friendly and helpful!! The rooms are beautiful. Beach party and Karaoke were fun. And as many have said, the jerk chicken from the cart that comes by the pools daily is FABLOUS! We met all kinds of very nice people from all over the world. This was our first experience at an adult only resort and, since we went as a couple vs with the family, it was nice to have only adults there. I recommend this resort to anyone interested in going to Jamaica!!

Room Tip: you want to be on the 3rd or 4th floor
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your kind words and hope to welcome you back Home soon.
We provide warm greetings with smiles and ensure that our guests are happy and comfortable. It is good to know that you had such a great time with us and you enjoyed the service provided from entertainment to dining.
It was a pleasure reading your review! Thanks and hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!