Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Room Service
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay(Montego Bay)
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Cove Montego Bay(Montego Bay)
Royal Reef(Montego Bay)
View Hotel
Altamont West Hotel(Montego Bay)
View Hotel
The Tallyman Hotel(Montego Bay)
6,823 results
All reviewspreferred clubpiano barwild orchidjerk chickenroom servicemarlin barworld cafesecrets resortpreferred poolour honeymoonfrench restaurantseaside grillel patiohibachi grillchampagne breakfastromantic dinnerturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I decided on Secrets Saint James for our honeymoon and we stayed from Oct. 14th to Oct. 26th. From the moment we first set foot onto the property from the moment we left we had nothing but exceptional service. When we first arrived we realized that we had been immediately upgraded to the preferred level. The bell boys quickly wisked us away into a different building with a different lobby. We were met with Taneisha who helped us throughout the remainder of our trip. She helped us book our dinner, spa treatments and answered any questions we had. Someone else came up to us and offered us cold towels and glasses of champagne. I knew then and there that our honeymoon was going to be fantastic.
Since we were upgraded to preferred level we were able to enjoy a champagne breakfast in bed, a romantic dinner on the beach, spa treatments and our own pool. There was even a food area downstairs where they had continental breakfast in the morning, munchie foods for lunch and Hors d'oeuvre before dinner. They also had a bar which was always stocked. We must have stopped here every night before dinner.
The food was fantastic - some of the best out of all the all-inclusive resorts my husband and I have been to (Majestic Colonial, Punta Cana - The Royal, Cancun - Grand Palladium, Jamaica). We usually went to the World Cafe for breakfast. They always had someone standing outside the restaurant handing out mimosa's to you as you walked in. They had omelette station, french toast, pancakes, fruits, cereals - you could always find something you like. Lunch we usually went to either the Barefoot Grill which had foods like beef patties, hot dogs, nachos, chips and soda or Oceana where you could get any kind a wrap you wanted with fries and the salad bar. We ate at every restaurant for dinner - all were great! Great food, great service. Most if the restaurants are open air so there is little to no air conditioning. It was actually nicer to sit outside than in. Guys - make sure you bring long pants and sleeved shirts. Even if you wear a sleeveless shirt to breakfast they will make you sit outside.
We had the pleasure (yes - pleasure) of being "stuck" here for two more days due to Hurricane Sandy. I can't thank the staff enough for their hard work during that time. It was like the resort didn't skip a beat. They held meetings to keep all the guests informed and the resident director was wonderful. He was serious when he needed to be but also joked and laughed and eased alot of guest tension. I was starting to get nervous about being here for the hurricane but after one of his meetings I felt totally fine. Breakfast, dinner and entertainment went on as scheduled that evening. Lunch was the only thing that was slightly interupted. They opened the ballrooms for anyone that did not want to stay in their rooms and literally brought the Barefoot Grill, the jerk chicken guy, the fruit cart and additional buffet foods to the ballroom.
Someone would come around at night and hand out sheets for the next day detailing the schedule of all the activities going on around the resort and what the drink of the day was. The resort always had a string of activities whether it was by the pool, on the beach, on Saint James' side or on Wild Orchids' side. Followed up by movies in the shopping plaza before dinner and different kinds of entertainment at night (piano sing a longs, karaoke, live bands, circus show, talent show). The steel drum band was the best! Then you had the disco opened until 2am. Needless to say we were never bored.
I can't say enough good things about this resort. We were impressed by all the small touches which added up to a fantastic honeymoon. Thank you Taneisha (in Saint James Preferred Club lobby) and Chris Brown (bell boy) for your outstanding service and hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JerseyShore14
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Beautiful resort in a beautiful country. If you haven't tried Jamaica your missing out. From the moment of check in till the moment you get back on the plane to head home the entire staff does all it can to make you feel at home. Very clean resort, lots of food options. I will say food could have been a little better at times but considering the amount of food options and the number of people served at every meal, the resort does an amazing job! The entertainment staff is great and the hotel really tries to give everyone options for activities from dance contests, games, arts and crafts etc. A number of off resort activities are also available. We recommend the coffee and banana plantation tour. The owner of the plantation walked with us and our guide he then joined us for lunch and talked with our group for what seemed like hours very beautiful place awesome people. Also suggests snorkeling, the reef right off the beach of the resort is amazing and the hotel offers free snorkeling at 3 different times thought out the day. We suggest going a couple times each guide offers different info and guide styles so every time you go your experience is different. We had a destination wedding at Secrets. The entire experience was awesome and couldn't of gone any better. Special thanks to Simone our wedding coordinator, Blu our beach party DJ, Garfield (the Mayor) our bellman and the entire Secrets St. James resort staff.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank JTClark
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Secrets St. James for our wedding and honeymoon. We had thirty guests take the journey with us. Wow! We were impressed. The resort staff go above and beyond making you feel welcome, comfortable, and at peace. We and our guests truly felt like we were given the royal treatment. The rooms are spacious and clean. The food is good. The staff remembered who we were and made every attempt to make us feel like friends.

Planning a destination wedding can be tricky. The girls in the wedding suite were absolutely amazing! Planning a wedding through e-mail and through phone calls can be a little nerve racking, not knowing what the end result will be. These girls made my dream wedding reality. Our guests cannot stop talking about the wedding as well as the treatment they received as well. They treat you as if your wedding is the only one that matters to them. They are well organized and everything went off without the smallest hitch. They are experienced and truly know what they are doing, taking pride in their careers.

We cannot wait to go back. Everyone from the welcome desks, to the wedding suite, to the bartenders, waiters, waitresses, grounds keepers, and bellboys are truly, truly fantastic! We cannot say one bad thing about our experience!

If you want an amazing, feel like you are royalty experience....please go there!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

They first impressions last and it is great to know that you had a great first impression of our lovely resort. It is always our aim to please our guests and ensure that all are totally satisfied. Your commendation of our very talented wedding staff is greatly appreciated and it is a pleasure to hear from you that you were able to have had the wedding of your dreams in addition to the smooth planning experience.

Thank you for your kind words and looking forward to welcoming you back Home.

Warm Regards,

Caulette Mornan
Social Networking/ E Concierge

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here recently with 6 other couples. Weather was very nice during our stay (except for 1 day of rain - which is no good. NOTHING to do in rain). 1 good thing about all inclusive (especially with large groups), you can drink all the mixed drink and beers on the beach, at restaurants, bars, and never have to worry about splitting bills, tips, etc. Although a major complaint would be the lack of decent wines. The only white they had was AWFUL - barely drinkable. I will drink beer - but not a lot. I don't do mixed drinks. This was a big disappointment.
Food was not very good. Breakfast buffet was reminiscent of a college cafeteria, lunches were subpar, and dinners were spotty. Hibachi and Jamaican (Blue Mountain) were decent places to go for dinner, though. Service was so so - sometimes you got a moody person, other times you got someone who wanted to sing to you. All over the place.
Cleanliness is not a strong point for this resort. Glasses were literally rinsed out at the bar and reused (saw this with my own eyes). Also noticed lipstick marks on my glasses numerous times. Bedroom was ok - although not sure if I trusted cleaning crew. Came back to my room one day to find the "privacy" sign on the doorknob. I did not put it their nor did my husband. I would suspect someone put it there to rifle through our belongings. Very shady and disturbing.I was also asked onetime by a cleaning attendant when we would be out of our room -never had this happen before at a hotel/resort.
Checkin ladies weren't the most hospitable and very monotone. Although there was a waitress/hostess at checkin serving us drinks. That was a nice touch.
Overall, I think this resort really caters to the younger crowd (20s/maybe early 30s) for destination weddings/honeymoons, etc. The all you can drink/eat aspect is more geared towards this crowd.

Room Tip: Use safe at all times for valuables. Bring dollar bills for tips. Don't book 1st floor room - no privacy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank blklab01
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I visited Secrets St. James for the first time from Oct21st thru 27th. The hospitality when we arrived from Rochelle was fantastic and she kept in touch with us several times during our stay to make sure all was good. Unfortunately Hurricane Sandy hit on 10/24 of that week and I must say the entire management team at Secrets did a fantastic job keeping everyone informed of the situation. The staff went above and beyond making the two Ballrooms into a shelter and meeting place while keeping all guests well fed and the libations still flowing. Thursday the skies were once again clear and the vacation did not miss a beat once Sandy left the island. Hat's off to the staff for their clean up crews and getting us all back on our vacations once again.

Secrets also went above and beyond giving all guests a complimentary three day / two nights all expenses paid vacation to come back again and enjoy St. James due to the weather related issues. That was a First Class gesture and my wife and I will definitely go back and enjoy Secrets St. James again!!

Ed C

Room Tip: The ocean view in the morning is wonderful!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EClark60
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Ed:

It is always our aim as a team to give great service to all our guests. We are happy to know that this shone through Rochelle who seemed to have had a great impact on your stay. We truly appreciate your review and thank you for your recognition of our efforts in ensuring that you and other guests were kept safe, fed and entertained throughout Hurricane Sandy's passage.

Thanks once again and looking forward to your return stay in our tropical oasis.

Warm Regards,