“Very nice place to vacation”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Secrets was a very nice place to go on vacation. We have been to Jamaica many times, but this is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at there. Beach is nice. Resturants were also very nice. We went with friends and 6 of us had no issues getting tables at the resturants. Only thing we did not like was that all motor sports were an extra charge.

Room Tip: No need to upgrade. Rooms on upper floors have better view.
There are newer reviews for Secrets St. James Montego Bay

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I booked an all inclusive vacation for a week at Secrets. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. The resort went out of their way to make us feel extra special, including an anniversary banner on the door to our room.

My sister and boyfriend accompanied us as well, and all four of us cannot say enough good things about this resort. The staff is just incredible. They truly know the meaning of customer service, always making sure you are looked after. I am terrible with names, so I can't remember any names in particular (with the exception of our Bellman, Garfield and Marlon), but ALL staff are simply fantastic.

I have read some of the previous reviews on the food, and honestly do not know where any of the negative comments could have come from. We never experienced a bad meal. Our favourite was the Bordeaux (we went twice), but all were incredible. 5 star all the way.

Rooms were gorgeous, and the beds were like sleeping on a cloud. The only negative in the room was that the shower would leak on the floor outside the shower door. We just put an extra towel down, and all was good. Housekeeping service was great and the turn down service was extra special.

Beach/pools/bars/entertainment ALL fantastic.

Would go back in a heartbeat. By far the best all inclusive resort we have been to.

Go..... you won't be disappointed, in fact you will fall in love with the place like we did.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. Some lower room views are blocked by palm trees.
3  Thank liketotravel16
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I will try to hit the highlights of everything about the resort. Check in: Seamless. You are greeted by several bellhops telling you, "Welcome home!" Once inside, we had to wait for about 5 minutes before doing our actual check in. During these 5 minutes, we were brought cold washcloths, champagne and cookies. After we checked in, we met Claudia across the lobby to handle our restaurant reservation at the Himitsu (Japanese restaurant) and she asked if we would eat breakfast with her in a couple of days (which is the timeshare pitch). We politely declined and heard nothing more about it (unlike every other resort where they give you the full court press).

Rooms: All the rooms are gorgeous with a beautiful view of the ocean but those which are higher up will have a better view of the ocean. There is a four poster bed and soaking tub in your room. The bed is by far the most comfortable I have slept on away from home. The bathroom area is somewhat unconventional as a curtain separates it from the rest of the room. The toilet and shower area are behind heavy frosted glass but you should be aware it is not your typical set-up.

Pool area: There are tons of lounge chairs around the main pool. Waitstaff are constantly circulating to get drink orders. We spent a great deal of time at the swim up bar. Special thanks to Ernel for making our time there so memorable. The entertainment staff at the pool were also great. Thanks to Rainbow and Moya for making awesome tie-dye shirts for us! And Roy - you are the most awesome lifeguard in Jamaica!!

Beach: The beach area is not very wide (from the shore to the ocean) but there are plenty of chairs and it is also quite long. The sand is white but it is a little rocky. You can take out hobie cats (which we did) at no charge once you pay for a lesson ($10 per couple). They also have glass bottom boats and snorkeling.

Restaurants: They are all located at the Wild Orchid which is just a short walk from the St. James lobby. Our favorite by far was the French restaurant. Himitsu, which is hibachi (and the only restaurant at which you need a reservation) was fantastic but as the restaurants are not air conditioned, it was pretty warm in there. Men - you must bring long pants for most of the restaurants if you want to sit inside and shirts with collars. Men should also bring closed toe shoes in addition to your flip flops. There are a few poolside restaurants and grills. We recommend the cheeseburgers and the pizza! Also, be SURE to get chicken from the jerk chicken cart. We skipped lunch several days because we were so content to eat jerk chicken by the pool.

Preferred club: We did not book a preferred club room. We spoke with many people who had booked the preferred club regarding whether it was worth it and they all told us no. You get a couple bottles of liquor in your room, orange towels at the pool, a soaking tub on your balcony which can be seen by everyone, free internet and some snacks at a bar at the far end of the beach. In my opinion, it is not worth an additional $80 per night for those amenities.

Room Tip: While all rooms are ocean view, the higher the room, the better the view. We were on the 3rd floor...
4  Thank Lesleykay
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I booked a 7 day / 6 nights all inclusive stay at the Secrets St. James resort in Montego Bay. Upon our arrival, the staff was extremely courteous and welcoming! Our room accommodations were exactly as we anticipated per the room description and photos provided upon our booking. The services provided were excellent. We found the staff to be responsive to our wishes and made every effort to accommodate our wishes. The entire resort is well maintained and simply beautiful. We enjoyed our experience with Secrets so much that we plan to seek out their other locations for future vacations. From our view, the Secrets brand is second to no other and has set the bar extremely high. With exception to the spa services and gift shops, all services available at the hotel (i.e. restaurants, cafes, 24 hour room service, in-room mini bar) were included at no additional costs. It's apparent alot of thought and effort has gone into to development of the Secrets brand and I suspect others who visit their resorts will be pleasantly surprised with all of the effort that is made to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I want to give a special thanks to the following individuals...our Concierge (Charlene), and Doormen (Marlon, Chris Rose, & Ezekiel). Thank you, Secrets St. James Montego Bay!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite with a spectacular ocean front view.
3  Thank Wayne M
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was a girlfriend getaway that was long overdue! The overall resort was absolutely beautiful! When we entered the hotel I was simply amazed at the beauty and cleanliness of it. The staff even had a wonderful warm persona. We were escorted to our room by one of the bellman and he told us about everything in the room. His name was Chris Brown. The patio view was absolutely beautiful. Overall, we had a wonderful time and looking forward to coming back. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful-Charlene the front desk person, Marlon the guy that escorted us into the hotel to be checked in, Stanley at the Barefoot Grill, Owen one of the bellman, too many to name!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nurs3g33
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Most of the reviews concur our experience, the location is great....right on the beach. The facilities are wonderful and the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms are gorgeous and housekeeping excellent.The decor and atmosphere in the bars and restaurants was really nice.We had a breathtaking view from our room.
However we felt the food fell well short of its 5 star promise.Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day with lots of choice and great omelets.Lunch though was a major disappointment .....we left more food than we ate ....how hard is it to make a decent wrap or tasty pizza?We tried all the lunch venues but they were all terrible
Dinner was just okay....our best meals being served in the Italian and Mexican restaurants but considering the cost of our stay the food should have been much better.We stayed in a similar resort in Dominican Republic called The Sanctuary and the food there was excellent by comparison.
Our other major complaint was the wine. We are wine not liquor drinkers and thought it very unfair that if we wanted a half decent bottle we had to pay extra for it.Believe me I can drink most wines but the "free"wine served by the glass was awful! A choice of dry or sweet, red or white!All of it undrinkable!! I don't understand why the resort could not offer a complimentary list of reasonable good wines even if they limited the choice. Instead of that we found ourselves paying approximately $30 a night for a mediocre but drinkable bottle.This incurred an additional cost to our vacation that we had not expected.The irony is I could have drunk Any premium liquor all day and night at no extra charge. On that note if you want premium make sure to ask for it!
We also played a couple of good golf courses the White Witch and Cinnamon Hill.The latter being the better course.
We did enjoy our stay very much but feel it caters to the Honeymoon crowd who quite rightly are on cloud 9 and seeing everything through rose colored glasses!

One more word of caution..the taxis seemed expensive and everyone is looking for a tip so have plenty of extra dollars( they accept US dollars)

Room Tip: We went through RCI but still ended up with an oceanfront room.
2  Thank Linda F
Reviewed October 10, 2012

How does a person literally describe perfection? September 28 2012 t- October 4 2012: room 3448 was utterly flawless. How can I possible describe Jamaican hospitably, or the amount of effort that goes behind the scenes to make our experience practically unblemished?
I cannot in fact give a fair review because this resort is beyond a 4, 5, or 6 star reviews. I personally experienced REAL customer satisfaction, consideration, humbleness, sincerity, and flawlessness. When I arrived my room looked exactly like something out of a photo shoot. The bathtub was a relaxing jet powered spa with a separate shower. The king size bed was laced with flower petals, and complimentary high quality soaps were available at my disposal. Let me also add, it did not smell like mold, nor did I have a mosquitoes problem. (I was not on honeymoon, nor did I upgrade beyond a standard room). My mini-bar was stocked daily with juice, fresh bottled water, beer, and an assortment or sodas!! DAILY! The room included a turn down service. Basically, the maids serviced my room, making our bed, and every evening they would come and pull the sheets down. They made the room an actual home away from home. We also had 24 hour room service… beautiful after a long night out.
The property was a tropical paradise. Your imagination, at its finest, will not do Secrets justice; the amount of hard work that goes into the property would perplex even the hardest worker. The landscaping is comparable to something out of a story book. The beach was every vacationer’s dream. Turquoise blue waters with a white sandy beach Perfectly arranged dark wicker lounge chairs everywhere….enjoy it while you can.
I want to talk about the highlight of our trip. The Captains Water Sport Team made every moment a fantasy.
Chris ,Daren, Gregury, Denford, Richard, Mona, Steven, Lamar, and Lexey presented us with professionalism, and an experience that at the very least can be describe as…unforgettable.
I was able to kayak, wind sail, snorkel, and learn the Jamaican dialect in a few short days. However, this isn’t what made this team stand out. The afternoon snorkeling was magnificent. We were the very FIRST people to actually be able to do this! We literally felt like celebrities. When I asked to go out at sunset to snorkel they talked to their manager and the owner of their company.. only to create an amazing, perfect, beautiful experience for us! We went to an amazing coral… all because I wanted to. I was actually in a wheelchair for most of the vacation but they continued to provide me with endless entertainment, and carry me when I could not stand. They did everything in their power to make our vacation faultless. When I requested a starfish, Darren put on his flippers and snorkel … he brought me back 2 starfish, jellyfish, and a female sea urchin! (The big jellies are non-stinging) Then we gently released them back into the ocean. Denford taught my husband how to sail. Richard helped me find shells all over the beach. Chris was ALWAYS there when we needed a boat driver, or someone to inform us about fruits, shells, plants, or people. I would recommend them to anyone! We actual miss them. Thank you guys so very, very much for setting the standard that NOBODY COULD EVER LIVE UP TO!
Merna, Devon, Andrew, and anyone that worked in the lobby or at the bar during our stay made us feel most welcome. The lobby was very clean at all times. There are a lot of people that relentlessly tried to ensure that we had the very best experience that we could ask for. They did not fail us, only impressed us.
If you want luxury, quality, and a wow factor go to Secrets Montego Bay.
We miss you Jamaica

Room Tip: We had an amazing pool and beach view from room 3448
5  Thank Nicole E
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!