“Very nice!!”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was a girlfriend getaway that was long overdue! The overall resort was absolutely beautiful! When we entered the hotel I was simply amazed at the beauty and cleanliness of it. The staff even had a wonderful warm persona. We were escorted to our room by one of the bellman and he told us about everything in the room. His name was Chris Brown. The patio view was absolutely beautiful. Overall, we had a wonderful time and looking forward to coming back. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful-Charlene the front desk person, Marlon the guy that escorted us into the hotel to be checked in, Stanley at the Barefoot Grill, Owen one of the bellman, too many to name!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nurs3g33
Write a ReviewReviews (6,571)

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Most of the reviews concur our experience, the location is great....right on the beach. The facilities are wonderful and the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms are gorgeous and housekeeping excellent.The decor and atmosphere in the bars and restaurants was really nice.We had a breathtaking view from our room.
However we felt the food fell well short of its 5 star promise.Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day with lots of choice and great omelets.Lunch though was a major disappointment .....we left more food than we ate ....how hard is it to make a decent wrap or tasty pizza?We tried all the lunch venues but they were all terrible
Dinner was just okay....our best meals being served in the Italian and Mexican restaurants but considering the cost of our stay the food should have been much better.We stayed in a similar resort in Dominican Republic called The Sanctuary and the food there was excellent by comparison.
Our other major complaint was the wine. We are wine not liquor drinkers and thought it very unfair that if we wanted a half decent bottle we had to pay extra for it.Believe me I can drink most wines but the "free"wine served by the glass was awful! A choice of dry or sweet, red or white!All of it undrinkable!! I don't understand why the resort could not offer a complimentary list of reasonable good wines even if they limited the choice. Instead of that we found ourselves paying approximately $30 a night for a mediocre but drinkable bottle.This incurred an additional cost to our vacation that we had not expected.The irony is I could have drunk Any premium liquor all day and night at no extra charge. On that note if you want premium make sure to ask for it!
We also played a couple of good golf courses the White Witch and Cinnamon Hill.The latter being the better course.
We did enjoy our stay very much but feel it caters to the Honeymoon crowd who quite rightly are on cloud 9 and seeing everything through rose colored glasses!

One more word of caution..the taxis seemed expensive and everyone is looking for a tip so have plenty of extra dollars( they accept US dollars)

Room Tip: We went through RCI but still ended up with an oceanfront room.
2  Thank Linda F
Reviewed October 10, 2012

How does a person literally describe perfection? September 28 2012 t- October 4 2012: room 3448 was utterly flawless. How can I possible describe Jamaican hospitably, or the amount of effort that goes behind the scenes to make our experience practically unblemished?
I cannot in fact give a fair review because this resort is beyond a 4, 5, or 6 star reviews. I personally experienced REAL customer satisfaction, consideration, humbleness, sincerity, and flawlessness. When I arrived my room looked exactly like something out of a photo shoot. The bathtub was a relaxing jet powered spa with a separate shower. The king size bed was laced with flower petals, and complimentary high quality soaps were available at my disposal. Let me also add, it did not smell like mold, nor did I have a mosquitoes problem. (I was not on honeymoon, nor did I upgrade beyond a standard room). My mini-bar was stocked daily with juice, fresh bottled water, beer, and an assortment or sodas!! DAILY! The room included a turn down service. Basically, the maids serviced my room, making our bed, and every evening they would come and pull the sheets down. They made the room an actual home away from home. We also had 24 hour room service… beautiful after a long night out.
The property was a tropical paradise. Your imagination, at its finest, will not do Secrets justice; the amount of hard work that goes into the property would perplex even the hardest worker. The landscaping is comparable to something out of a story book. The beach was every vacationer’s dream. Turquoise blue waters with a white sandy beach Perfectly arranged dark wicker lounge chairs everywhere….enjoy it while you can.
I want to talk about the highlight of our trip. The Captains Water Sport Team made every moment a fantasy.
Chris ,Daren, Gregury, Denford, Richard, Mona, Steven, Lamar, and Lexey presented us with professionalism, and an experience that at the very least can be describe as…unforgettable.
I was able to kayak, wind sail, snorkel, and learn the Jamaican dialect in a few short days. However, this isn’t what made this team stand out. The afternoon snorkeling was magnificent. We were the very FIRST people to actually be able to do this! We literally felt like celebrities. When I asked to go out at sunset to snorkel they talked to their manager and the owner of their company.. only to create an amazing, perfect, beautiful experience for us! We went to an amazing coral… all because I wanted to. I was actually in a wheelchair for most of the vacation but they continued to provide me with endless entertainment, and carry me when I could not stand. They did everything in their power to make our vacation faultless. When I requested a starfish, Darren put on his flippers and snorkel … he brought me back 2 starfish, jellyfish, and a female sea urchin! (The big jellies are non-stinging) Then we gently released them back into the ocean. Denford taught my husband how to sail. Richard helped me find shells all over the beach. Chris was ALWAYS there when we needed a boat driver, or someone to inform us about fruits, shells, plants, or people. I would recommend them to anyone! We actual miss them. Thank you guys so very, very much for setting the standard that NOBODY COULD EVER LIVE UP TO!
Merna, Devon, Andrew, and anyone that worked in the lobby or at the bar during our stay made us feel most welcome. The lobby was very clean at all times. There are a lot of people that relentlessly tried to ensure that we had the very best experience that we could ask for. They did not fail us, only impressed us.
If you want luxury, quality, and a wow factor go to Secrets Montego Bay.
We miss you Jamaica

Room Tip: We had an amazing pool and beach view from room 3448
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nicole E
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Saecrets st.james is a great hotel. The beds are unbelievably comfortable. The room and hjotel is clean and appears well kept, staff are knowledgeable and helpful and willing to go the extra mile and always smiling and saying good morming and wanting to find out how was Your stay so far. Will definately return , miss you secrets and staff

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I traveled with my sister and her husband to celebrate our anniversaries and this resort was recommended to us and now I can see why. It was fantastic! We felt like it should be rated as 5 star. We had no complaints whatsoever! Everyone was so sweet and very accommodating. The rooms were great, very clean and lots of space. The bed and pillows were comfortable, my husband thought they were a little too soft but I thought it was heaven. The food was excellent. The only thing that I can say about the food is that the desserts weren't the best I ever tasted but for an all-inclusive, very good. Our pool service was excellent, especially Kedeisha at Manatee Bar, she was a doll!! Genius with the Entertainment group was a darling and will be a lifelong friend. Lionel at the Himitsu Restaurant was the life of the show, everyone must go there to see him, the food is not what makes it, it's him! If you go to the Piano Bar, you'll be taken care of by ONeill and Josiah, two sweet boys that love to have a laugh.
In my opinion, it's not worth the upgrade for the Preferred Club, unless you're going there to be alone as you are sort of separated from everyone else and seems like you don't meet as many people because it's a small group that use the pool in this area so there's not as much fun and entertainment. However, it is very peaceful if you're looking for alone time.
We went to this resort from Sept 29 - Oct 6, 2012 and we had wonderful weather, a couple of good showers of rain but nothing that we would complain about, it just gave us the chance to have a nice drink in the bar and have a laugh and also get a break from the sun. Everywhere we went, we met some amazing staff and will never forget them. We always looked forward to getting the newsletter every day which would give you a schedule of the day and night events. There was always something to keep you entertained.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone and can honestly say that I will definitely be going back and it will be very soon. I can't wait to see everyone again. Fabulous trip!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view, we stayed in Rm 3535 and it was excellent! My sister and her husba...
4  Thank Judy M
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I just recently got back from Secrets st. James and by recent i mean last night! I typically don't go on sites to write reviews about my stay at places but for this hotel and destination it was a must!
Jamaica is such a wonderful place from the people to the beach to it all. I think my favourite part were the people. They are so welcoming and polite and just love to keep a smile on your face. I do travel very frequently and must say i've never gotten this from Mexico, Dominican even Aruba. 5 stars go out to the lovely citizens of that gorgeous place!

As for the hotel itself, well, what can i say it was the BEST! The room was contemporary, very clean and great shower! I love to work out so the gym at this hotel was also very good. It was a big resort with a great view. My fav feature was that i didnt have to get stuck eating in a buffet every night or do the a la cartes. It almost felt like you were in a town because you had to do a 5 min walk to where the restaurants were. Some ppl i find on here complain about that but believe me no need!! You could eat at your fav place more than once BIG BONUS bc a la cartes dont do that.

I could go on and on with my review but i'll end it here :) Please do try out this hotel, you will not regret it, they also offer great excursions you can do if you are an activity person.

Will most definately be going back next fall!!

Room Tip: Ocean front view Junior Suite on secret st james side
2  Thank Stacy M
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I just recently took our honeymoon to Secrets St. James September 17th-22nd. I dont think I have enough words to even express how amazing every aspect of it was. To start off when we entered the resort it was soooooo nice and clean and everyone was beyond friendly in greeting you and making you feel at home. (which we did) Everyone at the check in desk were sooo awesome as well. The rooms were great every resturaunt had great food with about 6 or so different types of resturaunts and such amazing service! The whole staff there was just nothing id ever experienced in any type of bar or restuarnt and it really makes you feel good to know they care about making your stay soo enjoyable and relaxing. The beaches were soo clean and they even had guys cleaning the sidewalks everynight with a big machine ( for people who worry about cleanliness) They really went above and beyond in every way possible, As far as nightlife it was awesome they had some type of activity or show going on every night for entertainment they have a piano bar and a night club along with the other beach bars and swim up bars! The drinks were strong just like i like them!~ We met alot of cool people and did a few different excursions that were amazing experiences, the lady i think her name was sonya who helps set up the adventrues was very nice and helpful as well.:)The room service was great as well our room looked spotless and homey everyday! It went by way to quick and i didnt want the most amazing trip ive ever had to ever end. we had spoke to a few other couples there on their honeymoon who had been a ton of places but said this was the best by far. I HIGHLY reccomend this to anyone who wants a nice honeymoon you wont be dissapointed I PROMISE!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: the preferred club has a little bit more offered food service 24/7 alcohol in your room and almost a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple