“perfect getaway”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
boston
“perfect getaway”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My Husband and I went for a long weekend (Thurs thru Monday) and the close proximity to the airport was important. We usually go to Negril but didn't want to spend an hour in the car to get there this time. We upgraded to Preferred when we booked, so there was no upsell for us. It was all that we hoped for and more. No kids (we have 2 small kids so that was key), beautiful rooms, great beach, (the beach and palapas are definetly better on the preferred side) and just an air of luxury to the place. we really didn't do much except snorkel and relax which was exactly what we wanted. The food station in the preferred side was a little lame... we never ate anything there, but made a few of our own rum punches at the self serve bar...Food was ok, but that is what we expected... would definetly go back and would also be inclined to try other secrets properties as well...

3 Thank trvlr7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,369)
  • Czech first
Thomson, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We enjoyed the beautiful resort. The friendly staff such as Charlene, Taneisha, Deidre and Nadia. Our trip was the best trip we have taken. The following above staff made our trip fun and exciting. My parents have booked a trip to the resort in January and are looking forward to meeting our favorite girls. Love every bit of our trip.

2 Thank Dlangham1
Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2012

As with all vacations, the time goes by too fast and before you know it you're boarding the plane to head on home. I must say though that the time my family and I spent at Secrets St.James went by nice and easy. Alot had to do with all of our encounters with the staff. From the bell boys (Respect to Garfield and Marlon) to the girls at the concierge desk of the preffered club, every single person made you feel right at home.
The weather was great though it did rain quite a bit which was actually nice to get a break from the sun rays which can easily punish you if you don't protect your skin properly. Whether you are chillin at the beach or by the pool there will always be staff members around to grab you drinks from the bar. And speaking of the drinks (Bob Marley was my daily choice) they are made nice and strong so tell them to ease up on the booze if getting smashed at 2 in the afternoon ain't your thing. The legendary jerk chicken cart rolls along the boulevard which separates the beach from the pool area everyday and you won't miss it cause the guy runnin the cart will shout out "jerky,jerky,jerky!". Do yourself a favour and try it out atleast once.
The rooms. I must say that it upsets me when i read reviews that focus so much on the rooms when a very minimal amount of time is actually spent in them, however here are a couple of things that need to be said just to help you out. 1-Tree frogs: They begin chirping or whatever it's called from sunset to sunrise. If you have a room on the 1st or 2nd floor and you're a light sleeper I would definitely recommend bringing a set of ear plugs. 2- The Mattress: The mattress in my room was super soft. I'm not really used to a soft matress so my sleep wasn't the greatest but it's not like i had to work the next day so it really didn't matter but just to give you a heads up if soft ain't your thing.3-Mosquitos: Every night i would have to wipe out a few of these little pests that decided to buzz in my ear, which frustrates the crap out of me but they don't move very quick so takin care of them is pretty easy. The maid did a good job of maintaining the rooms and refilling the mini fridge everyday and if something got missed a simple call to the front desk would take care of whatever was needed and it would be done in a timely fashion.
The resort was not at full capacity when we went so finding a spot at the beach or by the pool was never a problem. The Carribean Sea was refreshing and crystal clear, though watch your step cause there are rocks spread out underneath here and there. By the pool (preferred side) the water was heated and the atmosphere was always relaxing and quiet but if you like to mingle and participate in some water sports, you will have no problem jumping in at the main pools of Secrets or Wild Orchid.
Now it's time to review the food. The breakfast buffet is served at The World Cafe and has plenty of choices to get your day going. Lots of selctions to choose from including fresh fruit and you may even be serenated by some of the staff (Respect to the Jamaican Cowboy Oraldo, Carrie-Anne and The Coffee Man). Tipping isn't necessary i guess but it's always nice to leave your server a little something for takin care of you while you eat. My favourite restaurant at the resort is the Italian restaurant known as Portofino. The food from the menu offers you typical choices that are prepared better than i expected and once again, it's the staff (Fabian) that made the atmosphere very enjoyable. We were honored to be introduced to the head chef and manager of the place Simon and Alan (both italian) and they did their absolute best to make us feel right at home. The other restaurants included Japanese(good), French (good), Mexican, (could use some work),Jamaican (good). All in all the food is fine and if your a fussy type then just ask them what you want and im sure whatever they bring you will be able to satisfy your needs.
Last but not least the entertainment. If weather permits the act for the night will set up outside in a beautiful setting by the sea. The Secrets band belted out a few Bob Marley songs and did them quite well considering there was no guitarist (memo to the head of entertainment: you need a guitarist). I can't say it was the best variety of acts that I've seen throughout my numerous trips but it wasn't the worst either. And if karaoke or sing alongs suits you fine then stick around the piano bar and show them what you got.
When me or my family travel we always like to try out a different spot so perhaps the next time im in Jamaica I'll try out Negrill instead of Mobay. But one thing is for certain, if I do head back to Mobay, there is absolutely no question as to where I'll be staying. Thank you to all the staff and management of this wonderful home away from home.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor rooms will keep the noise made by the tree frogs less noticeable.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Rob C
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The Secrets St.James is a beautifully laid-out property that has everything you need for a relaxing vacation. This was our first time at an adults only resort and we found this to be a definite plus. Service was friendly and attentive. The most difficult decision of each day was where to go for dinner. Food quality was uniformly great and we only ever had short wait times, if any, without having to make reservations. Our favourites were the French, Italian and seafood restaurants. The Jamaican restaurant was also good and gives the chance to try less familiar dishes.

The pool water was nicely warm and we spent a lot of our times in there sipping various drinks. The room was gorgeous and very comfortable and spaceous.

My only quibble: the reception staff was a bit pushy with the "free" sales-pitch breakfast. We had to insist repeatedly that we didn't want to go.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jean-Claude P
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Absolutely wonderful adults only, all inclusive vacation spot. Staff was incredibly friendly and accomodating. We celebrated my bday by dining on the beach with a private dinner. Our server, Andre, was perfect! He just gave us that extra, special attention that we really appreciated. Also, Shanae Reid, at the front desk, was wonderful!! Upon hearing we were celebrating my birthday during our trip, she organized a champagne breakfast in bed for two the morning of my bday. It was lovely! She always greeted us and remembered our names as well when we would cross through the lobby. Have already recommended this resort to our friends!

3 Thank miguela44302
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at St. James over memorial day weekend and this place is great. My husband and I have been to many places in the carabean and this is by far the best. The food is great (we ate at the French and Mexican restaurants). People who work there are very freindly and the resort is kept clean.

My only complaint is the check in process. It's confusing and unorganized and they try to sell you on the vacation club but once you get to your room it's worth it.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Cindy G
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The resort was beautiful! The staffed "welcomed us home" with open arms and friendly service. Thank you Nardia, Rene and Garfield for making us feel like family. The rooms were awesome; we had an ocean view and was amazed by the beautiful site (thanks for suggesting this Rene). The hotel staff were very friendly; the food and drinks were great! I loved the option of enjoying the beach or the pool within a few short steps of each another. The restaurant options, night life, fitness center and spa was neatly packaged in one location. There really isn't a need to leave the resort. The rooms were very clean; a few times we had to call for towels and wash cloths but the housekeeping staff were very quick to accommodate us. This is an awesome place for couples to get away. Thank you Nardia, the Concierge, who was so helpful when I forgot my camara charger. You are so kind and wonderful. Rene, the receptionist, was also wonderful and so helpful as soon as we walked in the door. Thank you Garfiled for your professionalism. Narida, Rene, and Garfield made our trip even more wonderful. Big thanks to Diana at the Spa; for suggesting the wonderful couples swedish massage. It was so relaxing we went twice! Loved the large tub in our room! I highly recommend Secrets St James.

Room Tip: Highly recommend getting an ocean view room; it’s worth the upgrade. Suggest bringing bug spray, th...
2 Thank Theresa W
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!