“Perfect Island Get Away”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Looking for the perfect island get away, this luxury resort is the must see/must stay at resort,upon visiting Jamaica. True authentic food, complimented with international choices too..like the French Resturant.Talk about superior customer service, a hospitality staff that goes beyond the call of duty to serve you. Very affordable for the most average of person, while catering to big spenders as well. Lets not forget all the wonderful amenities that is offered here. The Spa is to die for!!!!.Great for couples and great girlfriend get away, yet friendly for everyone. Ideal location, not to far from the airport , nor night life in the city.Truely loved the experience and cant wait for my return trip. Just cant wait!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank StephBrownAtlanta

Reviewed April 18, 2012

This resort is incredible. My husband and I went recently and loved it! Here are the best tips for your stay:

1) If you want a quieter (but not boring) side, stay on the St. James side. The beach is also better on St. James side, but the Wild Orchid side gets better sunsets and is a shorter walk to all of the main attractions.
2) Get the conceirge room. It rains almost every day, and we would just head back up to our balcony and chill out in the soaking tub and watch the rain until it passed.
3) We did the professional pictures at a different Secrets resort and loved them, but they were definitely lackluster here. Not worth the money.
4) We saw some beautiful weddings out at the gazebos- stunning!
5) Take advantage of the piano bar- it's incredible!
6) The food is great- try a different restaurant every night. Surprisingly, the jerk chicken was good, but at the poolside restaurant the jerk chicken pizza was NOT good. That was the only bad thing we had!
7) THE SPA: Make sure you go here. At least twice. They have a lot of great specials so book on your first day there, not before you arrive. If you book more than one service, book them on diferent days so you can enjoy the hydrotherapy circuit multiple times.

I would definitely come back here again!

Room Tip: Conceirge room!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nikki M
Reviewed April 18, 2012

The hotel is very impressive given its architecture and design. Its spaces are very open and very special environment. We were in the area reserved for preferred guests and our reception was just spectacular. We got some cold towels and champagne. The concierge team was very attentive and were super friendly. The room was decorated on the occasion of our first wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday. Since we were located on the fourth floor the views were spectacular!. We were living a dream because our room had two tubs, one inside and one on the balcony.
The hotel has several restaurants which are included and our favorite was the French restaurant where the menu, the interior design and quality service makes it worth at least a two star Michelin. Karnel our waiter was super attentive.
The hotel has several shops, but the souvenir and clothing run by Bernadette Dunn is the most special. My wife was very pleased with the price and the clothes you could buy at this store. Quality and good design were two special factors to consider and also the treatment that you get all those working in it.
We would like to mention a very particular detail of this hotel because their customers do not have to wear bracelets that qualify or categorizen.
I am very happy to see Jamaica and its people with a hotel as beautiful and glamorous, I'm sure everyone working in this hotel will be very proud of it because all those I met were very hospitable and very friendly.
I returned very happy and will work very hard to return as soon as possible to this hotel.

The hotel has several shops, but the souvenir and clothing run by Bernadette Dunn is the most special. My wife was very pleased with the price and the clothes you could buy at this store. Quality and good design were two special factors to consider and also the treatment that you get from those who work in it.
" We would like to mention a very particular detail of this hotel because their customers do not have to wear bracelets that qualify or categorizen them".
I returned very happy and I will work very hard to return as soon as possible to this hotel !.

Room Tip: St. James location is quieter, being a Preferred Guest is worthy!.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

My experience at this property was all i expected and a lot more. The staff at the French restaurant and the Front desk offered such exceptional and first class service.
I was impressed with the energy of the entertainment staff and the cleanliness of the environs.
Simply put, its the best vacation spot in Montego Bay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2012

The location of the resort is nice and it's a very good size-not too big, however the resort could stand to be cleaner-especially in the stairwells and pathways. I usually don't notice cleanliness overall but squished bugs and drinks that were spilled and never mopped up a day and a half later, and other various fruit that's been left to dry out -tends to be noticeable. The food is average, edible but hardly delicious. I've been to four star hotels where the staff is friendlier-everyone says hello and asks how you are. Don't get me wrong this resort is nice but does not deserve a five star rating.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Lauren R
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This place. Oh, this place. I couldn't wait to get back to write a review about it because it was the best tropical vacation yet. We were there for a family wedding and it was so much more than that. Secrets has 2 main properties and 2 preferred properties within so the grounds of this place are so extensive you never have the same route of getting around day after day, yet it's not overwhelming. We stayed at St. James and really it's adjacent to Wild Orchid. We were welcomed with a warm smile and a cold drink. The people of Jamaica are genuinely kind with a "Life is good" energy all the time.

The lobby: gorgeous, dark woods, warm lights, friendly staff

Sleeping Room: 3rd Floor ocean-view. Clean, bright-white linens, spacious living room area, huge balcony with dry-rack and table/chairs, King size 4-poster bed, coffee-maker, fridge.
Bathroom: Separate bath in the middle of the bathroom (spa-like presentation), with only a linen curtain separating the room and bathroom. Bright-white linens and large-sized products (you must request lotion from housekeeping), hairdryers, double sink and spacious counter. The marble tiled shower had a waterfall head and normal shower head - again, spa like. Housekeeping did a great job, but you might need to ask for mini-bar replenishing as they don't always do that.

The grounds: Very easy to navigate, beautifully manicured, and the beaches are filled with such soft and buttery sand it's hard to walk away from them, and the water is crystal clear.

Restaurants: We're spoiled in Minneapolis, but their wide array of options from Mexican, Italian, French, Thai, Jamaican and their menus had us surprised. My favorite was the Mexican. I had the best Enchilada dish I may have ever had. The morning breakfast buffet had everything your appetite desires: omlette bar, fresh fruit, the best Blue Mountain coffee, pancakes, proteins, everything! The service is impeccable, albeit a bit on the delayed side by Jamaican nature - after a couple of days you, too, will be on their time. :)

Entertainment: Goes above and beyond from day in to night -- jerk chicken/fish class, yoga, the spa, tennis, bocce ball, swim up pool bar, small dance club, coffee bar, ping pong and over-sized chess, beach party, we did it all. At night there is always some type of show, and our favorite was the piano bar - just make sure there will be a performer, and if you wait past 11pm, you can bet he won't show.

The drinks at the resort were great, but if you're looking for cocktail mixology you won't find it here. They do know their basics though, and Red Strip is always flowing!

Overall, we felt very safe, welcome and well taken care of. Spoiled really. We went in April and although some clouds came through, for the most part it was 80's and sunny. This review could go on and on, but I must say as an avid traveler and hotelier, I hope I can go back some day to this lovely property. My compliments to the following: Marc in the spa, Cassie for her awesome dance class and "Bon Jovi" too, Ricardo for the jerk fish class, Stanley for keeping it real, DeWayne for getting us where we needed to be, and Diana for coordinating all of our lovely spa services. We only left once in 6 days so that shows how much we enjoyed the resort. However, if you want a week of excursions they'll help you with that. They do it right at Secrets. Go!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank BunnyMpls33
Reviewed April 18, 2012

From the moment I entered the gate until I left I was made to feel specail and as if the main goal was to make me happy and feel good. everyone was availible when I needed them and got the job done. Thank you Jeremy the bellman and heraldo who sang to me everyday because it was my Birthday vacatiion Billy Love's great spirit and the young man who mc'd the dance contest who made it a party for me every night. I came to Secrets with my best girlfriend but I'm going back with my husband to have the dinner on the beach. I didn't get to Parasail in the resort that was disappointing but over all on a scale of 0-10 Secrets gets a 11

Room Tip: the wild orchard was my preference because you can walk out your room to the beautiful beach.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!