“Unbelieveable Couples Retreat!!!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Unbelieveable Couples Retreat!!!!”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I'd like to start out by saying that I am an avid traveler, and am holding this resort to the highest standards. I honeymooned in the Tahitian Islands including Bora Bora, taken 5 all inclusive trips, and have always looked to stay in the best of the best accomodations. This resort is absolutely the PERFECT couples/adults all inclusive spot. In fact, it is my favorite all inclusive property!

There were 6 people total (3 couples) in our group. We are all in our upper 20s, and were looking for a tropical destination, with amazing facilities, great beach/ocean, great food, romance, and the option to be as wild or calm as we wanted. Secrets St. James in Montego Bay did just that!! Pay close attention to how I would rate the different aspects of our trip...

LOCATION: Secrets St. James is in the perfect location, just look at the pictures on their website. You are off on a peninsula, right on the most crystal blue water of the Caribbean. The resort is about 15-20 minutes from the Airport, and extremely convenient! Most of the great excursions are near Ocho's Rios (About 1hr 15min from the resort), however, if you are like me, you maybe do one day of excursions on an all inclusive trip. If you are looking to hit all of the local hot spots in Jamaica, then you would never do an all inclusive and pay for all of your food and drinks, if you plan to be off of the resort much. The location is clean and breath-taking!

ROOMS: These are without a doubt the nicest standard rooms I've ever staying in!!! They have big flat screen tvs on the wall with a variety of channels (several adult channels), huge comfy king beds, all facing the ocean with huge ocean views, jacuzzi tubs, waterfall shower, double sinks, sitting area, balcony with chairs, etc. They are amazingly nice! The air conditioner worked amazing (freezing every night if you want it to be), and the room was super clean

POOLS: There are wonderful pools at this resort. There are always places to sit and lay if you want, and the pools are big and perfect temperature. One is heated, one is not, and they were about a 5 degree difference, both amazing. There are water polo nets, a basketball hoop, etc if you want to play some games. Playing basketball was very relaxing while sipping drinks and shooting some shots in the pool. Yet, there were only about 10-20 people in the pool at anytime. Sometimes, the swim-up bar section of the pool had 40 people or so and was great! There was jamaican music being played and the vibe was great! The service at the pools were UNREAL!!! We had drinks made for us before we even asked. Waitresses were coming around the pool to serve you as soon as your drink got low. The drinks were strong, huge, and tons of variety! The pool bar was amazing as well. Tons of service, amazing top shelf booze, and just a fantastic ambiance.

FOOD: Food was amazing!!! People who write these reviews are soooooo ridiculous. I live in Philadelphia, travel to NY City, grew up in a huge Italian family, and have eaten some of the best food in the world my entire life!!! This food was outstanding for anywhere, and especially an all inclusive. The variety of options at dinner were unreal, and the ambiance in the restaurants was unprecendented. Dinner was always about 1hr to 90 minutes. This was perfect between appetizers, drinks, main course, desert, chatting and relaxing all the while. Perfect separation of time between courses. We ate at the Jamaican, Japanese/Thai, Italian, and French restaurants. We were ordering 2 and 3 appetizers per person, and often times 2 entrees each for the guys. The Japanese Hibachi show was unbelievealbe with great quality food!! If you like Thai food, they had great spicy Thai soup and some good Thai appetizers, along with the rice, filet, shrimp, teriaki etc at a typical nice hibachi place. French had delicious lamb chops that fell off of the bone, filet that was out of this world, snapper, etc. Italian was delicious with penne in a spicy tomato sauce, manicotti, lasagna, etc. And don't forget the Jerk Chicken carts for lunch!!! Lunch and breakfast had unreal selection of food, and was truly remarkable that people cut on this food. No one had a meal they didn't love, every preparation was 5 star, every dish was perfect temperature.

ENTERTAINMENT: We made most of our own entertainment all day playing by the pool, beach, etc. There are, however, sooo many people and couples that were our age that we met people in the pool, took shots with them, played beer pong in the pool, etc. At night we spent soooo much time at the piano bar. I love to sing and dance and found this to be so entertaining. There was a piano player that came every night at 10:30, handed out song books of lyrics, and had people pick songs for him to play and sing along to. We took turns picking them, and even sometimes went up and sat with him to sing a solo. This was all while smoking a nice cigar and having unreal drink service. The set up is truly outstanding. There was a night club DESIRES that we LOVED as well!! THey played the best dance songs from the 90's and early 2000's, and also mixed in some unreal jamaican songs. We danced a few long nights there and found it was the perfect little night club if ya wanted to get a little roudy. Lastly, we went and saw one show. This show was a group of 4 Jamaican singers called Soul 4 Soul. UNREAL!!! If you have a chance to go see them, please do!!! They are first class!

SERVICE: What can I say, the Jamaican vibe is unlike any other. The people at this resort are so much fun! We loved Dinean at night by the Piano Bar, and all of the waitresses will love you if you sing them a little Jamaican music! I found myself speaking Jamaican slang the entire trip. Yea Mon! Keeping it IRIE!!!!!!!!!!!

OVERALL: This resort is perfect for couples looking to have a first class vacation with eachother, no worries, no hassles, etc. There are no kids at the resort, there are no people bugging you to get involved in stuff if you don't want to, and it can be as lively or relaxing as you want. For a young married guy like myself, or serious couple or group of couples, this is the perfect 5 night getaway. I loved the resort, loved the people, and was absolutely amazed to have gotten the deal that we got for a 5 star all inclusive. Trust me when I say this, If you are looking for a great couples retreat in paradise, Secrets St. James is the place for you. As for me, I'll be "Keeping it IRIE Mon"!!!!!!!

14 Thank smignogna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,348)
  • Czech first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This new resort had absolutely beautiful views from all areas of the property. The "ocean view" rooms truly have an amazing ocean view. We stayed in the preferred club, and the room was gorgeous and very high end details. All the food was delicious - we tried each restaraunt while we were there and were never disappointed (although make sure you get reservations for the Japanese steak house right when you arrive - they book up quick!) Our favorite employee was Kadian Williams at the Marlin Bar - go see her, she's great!! We also had a very nice bellman, Chris Brown. Thanks to all the friendly staff for making our honeymoon perfect! We hope to come back for our anniversary!

4 Thank khgenes
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2011

As a special holiday destination, Jamaica and Secrets St James surpassed my expectations as a solo traveller. Having opted for the preferred suites I was sceptical about the claim that it was unlimited luxury. I did not need to worry. My suite was delightful and was kept spotlessly clean throughout my stay. Yvette, thank you. I did have comms problems but the Manager, Mr Billy Love, organised acceptable solutions without compromise. The front desk team are warm, friendly but above all they listen and when necessary they just make things happen. Not many UK guests but I plan to return next year.

Room Tip: If you want privacy, there is a tub on the balcony! do not stay in the Ground floor suites
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank stephen f
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The best thing about the resort was the staff. They were friendly and welcoming. The rooms were nice. The separate shower and bathtub were awesome. The bath tub has whirlpool jets. The property itself had a cool layout. There are lounging areas outside the restaurants, that had a view of the water and the houses on the hills. It was very nice to see at night. The beach and pool areas were nice. Some of the cons: the ac in the room never really got cold, there was always a feeling of stuffness in the room. The food and drinks really darken my experience.The food was ok at best and the grade of rum and other spirts were mediocre. Overall the stay was ok and upon return to Jamacia I will select a different resort.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CNM14
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Just got back from Secrets St James and we are planning our next trip already. My wife and I have both vacationed in Jamaica before, but this was by far our best experience. We stayed in a Jr Deluxe Suite which was perfect for us. We had a problem with the shower not working, but that was promptly fixed. The pools are great, never had a problem finding a chair to stretch out on, and the servers were always right on time with the drinks. The grounds are beautiful, and are well maintained. The restaurants were all great, but we did have to wait a little long to get a seat on a Saturday night. We will be doing service next time, the resorts seems like it gets busy on the weekend. We enjoyed the nightly entertainment. We both thought that the house band, Pace was great.

Overall, this is a great resort, we just hope it maintains the standard. The people were all friendly and very a tentative, you will get spoiled.

We will be trying the Preferred side next time, just to give it a try.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lil_Cal_Jr
New Jersey
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This was my 2nd vacation at the resort and overall my husband & I like the resort. The property is large with plenty of pools so everyone isn't crowded at 1 pool. I was in a jr suite with ocean view and the room is spacious which includes a jacuzzi tub. The only problem I had with the room was that the air conditioning wasn't cool enough. The resort has nightly entertainment and a disco on the property. The resort even provides a snack every night as you leave the disco & make your way back to your room. The night life it okay but if you like a lot of action it may be a bit boring. The resort has 24 room svc & it can take up to 45 min to get your food but it arrives hot not lukewarm. The staff is friendly and helpful & I want to take the time now to mention those who especially stood out: Anthony (Barracuda Bar), Kedeisha, Shakeena, & Cherisse (Manitee Bar), Roy (lifeguard), Delano (World Cafe), Shoneika (UVC), & Lateisha (front desk).
My vacation was extended due to Hurricane Irene and the resort gave us a discounted rate for the duration of our extension.
If you have any problems at any resort I recommend you speak to a manager because the staff at the resort doesn't have the authority to make changes, they just record the complaint. Regarding the air conditioning in my room, I spoke to the manager on duty, Mr. Billie Love. He took the time to listen to my concerns and to look into getting me results. Everyday I saw Mr. Love in the main lobby and he would inquire if the air had improved and even took the time to come to my room to check the air coolness. I have to admit that the situation wasn't fixed during my stay but at least Mr. Love made an honest attempt to help and I was compensated for my inconvenience, not a monetary compensation.
My other complaint is that the resort advertises top shelf liquor but they don't put the good stuff out. You have to continuously ask for it and they like to tell you that they ran out of it. Ask for what you pay for!

4 Thank Petra J
Belize City, Belize
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We selected this hotel for our honeymoon and were not disappointed for a minute. The property is at an excellent location and correctly stated that it is situated approx. 20 mins from the airport. We do hope that the grounds are kept up to its high standards and importantly that the staff remain as courteous and pleasant as they all were. Our front desk attendant Sharol N. handled us with nuff love! We shall return to celebrate an anniversary or maybe even a babymoon.
Elmer and Deshawn

Room Tip: select preferred club
1 Thank DeeElmer
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets St. James Montego Bay? Share your experiences!