“Best honey moon location in Montego Bay”

Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The first day of arrival check in went smooth but unfortunately we were placed in the incorrect level of room that also had air conditioning issues and had to be moved. Although I had to repack all our belongings I was satisfied with the level of urgency that was placed on our situation that Nodia provided and had us transferred to the correct room we were entitled to from the beginning which was located in the Preferred suits in a timely manner.

We wanted to express our overwhelming level of appreciation for the attention provided by Nodia and her drive to provide us with excellent customer service with a smile.

We will be seeing you in the near feature and have told all our friends & family about our great experience at Secrets Spa resort recommending the resort giving all Gold stars.

Great food, service, pools, drinks, all around greta place to vacation with that special someone.

Room Tip: Perferred Club suits!!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,630)

Reviewed June 21, 2011

Let me start by saying that I stay in many hotels per month as a part of my job as a pilot for a major international airline. This place ranks as one of the best ever. Nearly everything about this place was nearly perfect. The service was tops, the beach was beautiful, the pools clean, clear and fun. The drinks and food were top shelf. I cannot say enough about this place and look forward to another visit sometime soon.
If I was to be super critical as a helpful service to the managers who would like to improve, as I know that they would. (please remember this is a great hotel) The internet was spotty at the preferred club. It kept dropping off and wasn't a strong signal. BTW, we all tried across many locations and this was a common compliant amongst us all. Also, water-sports could include more than two guided (and longer) snorkel tours and the ability to rent snorkel gear. (especially fins, since those are hard to pack) Water sports was superb otherwise. Lastly, room service took a long time (as do most hotels). Not a big deal since food was everywhere and all I had to do was walk downstairs for all I needed. Just hoping the manager staff will look into why it took me 45 minutes to get coffee one morning.
All in all, a great experience and a super hotel. Special thanks to Buddy Love, Devon, Simone, our beach and pool server, and a friendly lifeguard, Michael. You all made the 8 days in paradise even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Book Preferred Club,
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We went to Secrets St James for our Honeymoon and it was absolutely perfect ! I loved this resort and all the people there. Everyone, from the concierge to the guys planting flowers outside were so friendly and always had a smile on. The Apple rep, Michelle, was absolutely wonderful and remembers your name. The hotel room was fabulous, clean, spacious and had a great view of the ocean. I can't say enough great things about this resort.

My one 'average' comment would be for the food. The food was nothing to write home about. There were a couple of times we couldn't find anything to eat b/c nothing was open. The buffet had closed for lunch and the dinner places weren't open yet. The buffet had the same things on it almost everyday so that got a little old. They did have mexican nite and that was great food. But if the food was the only average thing about the place, I can live with that ! Everything else was well above average to downright great.

I did encounter one rude employee but I guess everyone has a bad day. I wanted to go out Hobie sailing one day and I was by myself as my husband stayed behind. The guy clearly did not want to take me out and made it very clear by the look on his face. I asked if he didn't want to go out again and he said No, its ok go put on a life jacket. He didn't say two words to me for the entire ride but I just sat and enjoyed it. That was my only bad encounter with a hotel employee.

We took three of the tours while we were there. The shopping trip was cool but it was a little unnerving going to the flea market. I just wasn't used to the forceful selling techniques of the locals. They will grab your arm and direct you to their stall to see what they make. Its very overwhelming but I understand that's their way. We also went on the Sunset Dreamcatcher catamaran cruise which I highly recommend ! That was awesome... 2 hour sunset cruise with liquor, music and dancing... absolutely wonderful. We also took the John's Hall tour of the plantation. That was a lot of fun also and I got to taste a lot of the local fare.

All in all, I would recommend this resort to everyone and I can't wait to go back !

3  Thank molsen24
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Just returned from a week long vacay at Secrets. We had previously stayed at Dreams in La Romana and thought a step up in this hotel chain would be worthwhile, we were not disappointed.
Secrets doesn't have the usual grand lobby, just a sitting area and a few desks for check-in/out. Procedure was quick and painless, no credit card swiped, no wrist bracelet to wear. The bell person was thorough in explaining all the lights, gadgets etc in the room, we had a 5th floor suite with a balcony overlooking the pool & beach for $2142. The room had two sinks, seperate shower and toilet stalls, a jacuzzi, sitting area and a 4 poster king bed with a 3" pillow top (a little too soft for me, but that's a personal preference). The room was stocked daily with water, coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta and red stripe beer by a beverage person, not the maid. Shampoo and bath gel were provided, if you use the bath gel in the jacuzzi, go easy, it will foam and foam and foam......LOL, it went everywhere when I used a bit too much!
We didn't have any problems finding a palapa on the beach, and saw no need to "reserve" one prior to breakfast. The beach itself has sandy and weedy areas, look at the difference in water color to tell where to swim, the lighter colored areas were the sandy spots. I was amazed at people who expressed surprise, horror and shock when they saw fish swimming in the water, it was humorous to watch them flee to the "safety" of the pool. That said, snorkeling from the beach was poor. The resort did have organized snorkel tours, hobie cats, kayaks, glass bottom sightseeing, and dive boat available, thankfully, no noisy jet skis. Because the resort is basically gated on an island in the bay (next to Sunset Resort), there were no vendors, just house photographers. Pools were large and had swim up bars which seemed to be always busy.
The restaurants were arranged in a circle in the Wild Orchid section, we preferred the French and Jamaican. The smoked duck in the French restaurant was incredible, and the chateau briand was also delectable. We had local food in the Jamaican and while spicy, it was toned down for the tourists' palate, quite yummy. There was the jerk chicken grill roaming thru the resort in the afternoons, with mildly flavored chicken, again toned down for the tourist trade. Good, yes, but hardly authentic Jamaican, a local wouldn't enjoy it. For authenticly spiced scotch bonnet jerk, try the Pork Palace on Gloucester Ave , or another spot frequented by locals, you will feel the difference at first bite.
There was usaully some entertainment at night, I missed the steel pan band, but saw some acrobats and heard the house band a few nights. There's a small casino with slots and poker machines, a coffee station, some pool, fusball and ping pong tables. About 1/2 dozen shops sell sports wear to sundries to jewlery, customed and real.
The spa is wonderful, we arrived early to use the steam room, sauna and hydrotherapy pool before our treatments. The coupons issued for discounts can only be used one at a time. Next to the spa is a tennis/basketball court.
A 10 minute taxi ride to the hip strip is $40 one way, $60 RT. Went to Doctor's Cave Beach on Tuesday for a relaxing afternoon on a bit better beach. Did a full day trip to Negril, including a stop at Rick's Cafe to watch the cliff jumpers and the sunset. Our trip to YS Falls was cancelled due to a lack of participants and we didn't have time to reschedule, will get there next time!
A thing about service: Most hotel personnel wore smiles, greeted us, said yeah mon to requests, or it's my pleasure. While tipping is included in price, we felt the attitude of most service personnel was so good that a few extra bucks in the hands of the help was deserved and appreciated.

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean front
2  Thank Robert S
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I went here in April 2010 - I thought I wrote a review, guess I forgot. This was so perfect. Not too far from Airport, beautiful, brand new - clean - relaxing. Perfect in every way. Staff was helpful and so kind, room was huge and beautiful - We had an excellent trip. The resort offered us a complimentary honeymoon package - champagne and strawberries in room - couples massage, fresh flowers. This was a perfect, amazing trip - highly reccommend for a honeymoon or anniversary or just needing a Romantic get away without kids. We've stayed at several Dreams Properties - but this one was our favorite.

Room Tip: St. James Preferred Club - WOW
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Giovanna R
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The service was great. Food was good and plentiful. Drinks were top shelf brand names. Wine was same. Beer was Red Stripe or Hiniken on beach, but Miller lite was served in other spots on property. Beach was great and pools (3) were clean and plenty of chairs and umbrellas. Bar girl on beach never let us get thirsty. I'm an early riser and in the mornings the staff were up and cleaning and painting everywhere. By the time people started stiring everyone had finished and all paint was dried and ready for another day. I've only seen this kind of cleanliness at the park where the mouse lives in Orlando. The stafff went out of their way to help with any question. We never left the resort, but there were plenty of things to do. We enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra day.

Room Tip: All rooms have a beach view.
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This truy was a gorgeous resort.

We arrived very early in the morning after flying all night so we did not receive our comp drink upon arrival - not that we wanted it. We immediately upgraded to Preferred and so glad we did. I highly suggest doing this. Why? Simply because:

There is a soaking tub on balcony in the PC Jr Suite
•Private check-in and check-out
•Private concierge
•Dual-temperature private pool
•Sun beds and soaking tub on terrace
•Access to the Preferred Club Lounge
•Daily continental breakfast in Club Lounge
•Afternoon hot and cold hors d’oeuvres,
exquisite desserts, and fine liquors in Club Lounge
•Complimentary computer access in Club Lounge
•Gratis in-suite daily newspaper and Internet
•Upgraded mini bar service and bath amenities

Yes - that made it worth while.

The Bob Marly drinks are the best ever! Please ask for one and you'll be hooked. The restaurants were great. Faves included the Italian, French and Japanese! But make sure you arrive early to get a table at these restaurants or you'll be waiting for longer than you think. They also provide a "beeper" so when you're table is up they will buzz you if you don't mind waiting until 8 or 9 o'clock to eat. After dinner, we usually headed to the coffee bar and had some Jamaican coffee with Baily's. The fresh air all day long had us tired by the end of the evening and so we normally took a walk and retired early. The email in the preferred was great to have. We'd email the kids in the evening before retiring, grab a few rum drinks and head upstairs to our room and rehash the day we had.

The tours we did were Dunns Falls (huge disappointment as they coralled us and took us up the falls). We spoke with two other couples (who were there together) and they said they took a taxi and took all the time they wanted at Dunns. With the bus tour, we were on a very tight schedule and weren't allowed to even take our own pictures - because, of course, they want you to purchase theirs at Dunn's. It was upsetting. Another tour we did was the Chukka Ziplining Tour. I highly recommend this tour - the guys were awesome who take you through it. There's wonderful scenery on the way and some great people to be met. Also, we went on a shopping tour to buy some booze, Jamaican carvings and of course some expensive jewellery for moi!! Oh yes...hubby's a good man!

Back to the resort stuff...So, yes, as other's stated, the bathroom's aren't exactly private, but if you need to use the "big girl's or big boy's room" ask the other to leave onto the deck for a moment or two. Also, just FYI, for the love of god, don't talk loudly when you are in the toilet area...the echo in there will blow your ear drums out! LOL...just a tip.

Rooms are gorgeous and not much to say on that front. Room Service was prompt although we only had it twice. Once for a bottle of chardonnay and the other when it was raining buckets we ordored food. The food was good - not fantastic but good. The balcony was enjoyable in the evening as we enjoyed listening to the waves crash. What a view to the ocean as well...heavenly. Oh and, the bed was to die for...OMG...you'll never sleep better.

The pools at the preferred were nice - one side heated the other cooler. So relaxing. The heat really packs a punch so I know I'm stating the obvious when I say put on your sunscreen. Surprising to me how many people don't and then they end up so red that they cannot enjoy themselves because they're too busy nurturing their skin.

The Jamaican Jerk Chicken was out of this world. Jerky, jerky, get your jerky here! That's what you'll here during the day. Get up and get it at least once.

The shops are nice to go into, I didn't purchase much at the resort but it's nice to look around in them. We went to the spa and took a tour but we did not make use of it due to time limitations on other things we wanted to do.

Tipping - such a tricky subject. No. I suppose you aren't expected to BUT like anywhere else, it's nice to show your appreciation. With that said, I did feel awkward not tipping. The employee's seem to expect it. They did not outright ask for tip but their body language dictated otherwise. Just bring alot of USD 1's and 5's and you'll be fine. The concierge doesn't have much USD smaller bills so please bring them with you. I would say $100-150 in smaller bills will get you through.

Also, leave a list of bar beverages you would like in your preferred club fridge and they will leave it for you...just don't forget to leave a tip in the fridge. PLEASE NOTE: The fridge isn't like a fridge in Canada or the US. It's more like a cooler than a fridge. Get ice!!

All in all, a beautiful smaller resort. We've been to resorts where we walk and walk and walk and those are great too but it was nice to stay somewhere where I didn't feel my legs were going to fall off by the end of the night. You will enjoy it here!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple