“My only regret was not staying another week”

Bethel Court Guest House
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was surprised I had a real home-like Jamaican apartment for how little I paid. Stevie is a great guy. I made my life away from all the tourist area but still was able to find transportation to see part of the country. I do not know what people are writing about. This is a budget house. You cannot ask anything more for the price... Near the beach area, I was able to cook and get anywhere from there. If you saw the map of the place, you can tell it was not a beach-front room. Still, those places drive me mad because everyone charges too much for even a small bite or a drink. Bethel Court House is your choice if you want to feel like a local. A week went so fast, next time I am staying 2-weeks or more! I came to see Jamaica not a bunch of tourists like me and so I did. The Caribbean still the best for beach goers.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a group, perhaps a dorm be more interesting for you. If you are traveling al...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank James M
There are newer reviews for Bethel Court Guest House

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My family and I made a reservation to stay in this so-called guesthouse and was very disappointed in the place. It was cockroach and mosquitos infested, was moved to another room that was hot, no fan or air conditioner was turn on to cool down the room before my arrival. located in a not so nice neighborhood. I decided the following day to find another real guesthouse to stay, which I did. when I called inform steve that i was not satisfied and will be checking out in the am, he had issue with refunding my money. he was very rude and disrespectful to Jamaican who he claims go abroad and come back acting like, cant use the word, but use your imagination. "I informed him that his opinion of jamaicans does not concerned me, I just want my money to move away from that dump. so for all you Jamaicans thinking about going to Jamaica make sure not to go to his so-call guesthouse. before this place is advertise these companies that are selling this deal , needs to go to Jamaica and look at what you are recommending to visitors. When you take a vacation the last thing you should be doing is wasting a day to find somewhere decent to stay, when you are promise a ensuite. Steve need to go back to renting to locals, your place is not equipped not even for a one night stand...... be aware of this place.

Room Tip: choose none. stay someplace else!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PAT c
denzel899, Manager at Bethel Court Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

We accepted her reservations without a deposit.
After arriving on property, with a free pick-up from the airport, we gave her a tour of the property and her apartment and she loved it all.
She paid for her stay in cash after touring the property.
On the third day, she informed me that she had family in the area, and they want her to stay with them, so she wanted to check-out early.
I explained to her that it is the policy in the hotel industry that once you book a property and check-in, if you decide to check-out early, the money paid for that time period is non-refundable.
The next day we had heavy rain fall and she told me there was a water bug in her room.
Due to the heavy rain, bugs will try to get in from outside. We moved her right away to another apartment and the next day we sprayed around the property for insects. We have never had complaints about bugs before. We have a program were we have schedule spraying for pest.
The apartment we move her to, the A/C was set at 23 degrees Celsius = 75 degree Fahrenheit.
She had changed the temperature to 33 degrees Celsius = 91 degree Fahrenheit.
During our orientation, we inform the guest that all the windows are screen for mosquitoes, so especially at night; they should keep their front doors close to prevent mosquitoes from coming in. She had her front door open at night, allowing mosquitoes to come in.
After constantly complaining, we refunded the money for the rest of her stay.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I just want to say, I booked this place for a weekend stay. And when I arrived and call for direction I was told they gave my room away.I would have understand if I had not paid for my room, but I cannot comprehend a hotel giving someone room away,doesn't matter if I had arrived late, room was paid for. I even had email the hotel inquiring two days before, so they know I was coming. I had to sleep in my rental car till next day I had to call expedia and get somewhere to go.I would recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: Stay at relax resort
Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank keis W

We did not hear from her on the date of arrival.
After midnight we sold the room to a walk-in.
She called us 1:00 AM the next day from Kingston (4 - 5 hours away)
We informed her, we had her down as a no-show, and her full amount would be credited back to her credit card.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed here for 12 nights in a dorm room and it was more then I had expected, it only cost $20 a night and It was a great place to meet other people.
there is 12 dorm beds in 2 rooms but there was never more then 7 people there at one time so it wasn't ever crowded and there is 4 toilets and 3 showers.
there is free internet computer for you to use if you don't have a wifi device and kitchen to cook in
there is 3 supermarkets all within 5 minutes walk and afew places selling hot locals dishes
I travelled solo and felt safe there I actually really enjoyed my time here, Richard who works there is very nice and knowledgeable and will help in any way he can so if u need anything just ask him.
steve the owner is also really nice and helpful, he organised afew day tours for me.
it only cost 80c to get taxi to downtown or $1.60 to get to tourist strip, and getting a taxi was never a problem as there was always plenty of them going past.
this is the place to stay if you want to see the real Jamaica,
I would definetly stay here again
for the price I paid I couldn't have asked for more,

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank alice6663
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just spend the $200 extra and get an all inclusive. This hotel is located near the slums of MB. Taxi's charged us anywhere from $2 to $12 to get to beach where the other resorts are. There were ants everywhere. Dishes and furnishing appeared to be like Thrift Shop leftovers. Free shuttle equals 30 year old broken down taxi with a driver who has very bad attitude, (driver told us this hotel owner doesn't pay him but he expects lg. tips from travellers). I definately do not recommend this hotel for 1st time visitors. View was of piles of rocks and rubble. There is no swimming pool, no shampoo, very old television. Brought this as part of $850 vacation package. Very surprised Hotwire sold this.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CJF990

We cater mostly to guest that are looking to see the real Jamaica, and to get away from the tourist areas. From these guests we get good reviews and most of the time, they leave happy, and do not leave a review. Bethel Court is located in a middle class neighborhood where we have a lot of doctors, nurses and other professionals. Unfortunately there are times when our good reviews attracted those that are looking for a cheap resort close to the beach. We have over 300 route taxies that cost $0.90 USD one way. Waiting time less than 2 minutes. We informed our guest during orientation, that before entering a taxi, to ask the driver if it is $0.90 USD. So the driver would know that they know the fare. Sometimes people that have not travelled before get a culture shock when they are outside their country and have to deal with people that are different than they are.
Remember that Jamaica is still a third world country and most of the guesthouses are not equipped with flat screen TV's etc.
We have colored TV's that are not flat screen.
Our motto is: Here you can experience the real culture of Jamaica, in the music and the local people.
We ensure that our guest are safe and comfortable. What ever information or help they need, we are available 24 hours per day.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed in Suite 3 at $50 a night for almost 2 weeks. Apart from the beach there isn't a lot to do in MoBay so the location is more than acceptable. Less than a 10 minute ($0.80) share taxi ride into the town centre and never much of a wait for a taxi. Another $0.80 five minute ride gets you to the beach or a nice 15 minute walk from the town centre. Safe enough area and a 4 minute walk to a couple of supermarkets in Mt Salem. Wifi worked strongly in room (if it plays up get Steve to reboot it). Room was spacious enough (especially for solo traveller) with double bed, air con, fan and small table and chairs. Water pressure strong and plenty of hot water. Ceiling a little low but not an inconvenience. Bathroom functional. No daily clean but the room itself was spotless. Wooden picnic table outside the room (take your insect repellant). Quiet area and a good restful sleep all nights. You are outside / away from the main hostel so pretty quiet all round. Fridge, toaster, 2 burner gas hot plate and minimal plates / cutlery etc ( no jug or sharp knive though). This is a good solid budget hostel option. Not perfect but pretty good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MJS1966
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Affordable suites some kitchen 's have an oven ask for what you need and the owner tries hard to accommodate. There are screens and bars on the windows that helped me to feel extra safe and bug free. . Comfortable beds, lots of living space nice hot showers free wifi free pick up from the airport and close to supermarkets and transportation.

• Stayed: March 2013
Travellers Beach Resort
El Greco Resort
El Greco Resort
#31 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Bethel Court Guest House? Share your experiences!