“Good for the Price!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bethel Court Guest House
Queens, New York, United States
“Good for the Price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Bethel from May 26- June 2. We shared an apartment with two other girls as well. The good: complimentary airport pickup, located 5- 10 mins from beach, hip strip and supermarket. Very quiet neighborhood except in the early morning when the cars going by are playing their music.Taxis are easy to get. The best Taxi driver was McKenzie. We had another driver Caswell who picked us up from the airport, but he tried to get over on the prices so we used McKenzie for all the rest of our tours and trips. Richard, the tour guide was excellent. He took us around town and even hung out with us at Margaritaville. The bad: the cable sucks so don't bother. Wifi is a bit slow. Two nights before we left the wifi was acting up even though it was switched out. We did not meet Ingrid.Our roommates were dirty. They left their trash around and barely cleaned after themselves. Otherwise, everything else was great. Make sure you request McKenzie as your driver because he is really honest with the prices and very informative on the tours.

Room Tip: If you don't like sharing the bathroom and kitchen with anyone, pick the private suites.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Latonia J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

The good:
- Complimentary airport pickup (private rooms only)
- Spacious private rooms (bedroom, kitchen, bathroom)
- Quiet neighborhood
- Easy to get a taxi to/from the guesthouse
- Complimentary wifi in rooms and a desktop computer available for use in the dorms area
- Price ($50/night for a private room)
- Air conditioning
- TV in private room

The not-so-good:
- No comforter on bed (just a thin sheet means either you sweat without the air conditioning on or freeze with it on)
- NO housekeeping service. I don't require much, but a quick sweep of the floors and a replenishment of towels would have been nice during my stay
- The need to take a taxi EACH time you want to go into town

Bottom line - I won't complain too much because of the nightly price I paid. But I've recently become aware of another property closer to the Hip Strip that's around the same price. I think Bethel Court would work wonders for the backpacker-type that's looking to meet similar travelers. The employees I encountered - Steve, Ingrid, Mackenzie, and Richard - were memorable and seemed to be great people.

Room Tip: I couldn't imagine staying in anything less than a private room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank zeephi04
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

So once again, we were traveling through Jamaica so we also stopped in Montego bay for 2 nights.

We were realy surprised when we saw the apartment, it was realy realy big with kitchen, big kitchen table, tv and an extra bed, separeted bathroom and separeted bedroom.

Steve arrange for Mckenzie to come pick us up when we arrived, the ride is free and when we arriwed it was around 9pm and we were realy tired so Mckenzie offered to go look for us some food and asked us what we would like to have so we ordered some jerk chicken and festival, OMG it was so goooooooood! Mckenzie realy is the nicest guy, we were so thankful for this. We also went to nine mile with him and he told us so many thing about Jamaica and also stopped wherever we pleased.

They have free wifi and amazing view when you wake up. The city centre realy isnt that close but taxis arent even that expensive. But i would say that Montego bay is a realy nice place and this hotel realy is amazing but i wouldnt stay here for more than 3 days because there nothing much to do, its just a big city.

But thank you again for making Montego bay an awesome place for us!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nika P
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

My boyfriend Matt and I stayed at Bethel about a week ago and have nothing but good things to say. Steve and Ingrid were nothing but welcoming, always available, and very helpful. Upon arrival you are given tons of info including a map of downtown. The residential tour guide Rich, who was tons of fun and helpful, took us around the town for the first few days. There are also taxi drivers they work with, one in particular you will run into a lot is wonderful and comical Mckenzie, who is able to give tours of the island and sights.If you are looking to stay off the resorts and see the real jamaica this is the place to stay. There is a bar, hospital, grocery store, and small town restaurants within walking distance. Again, Steve, Ingrid, and the rest of the staff's hospitality was great and i would definately recommend this place!

Krystle~

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Krystle R
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

My friend and I decided to book Bethel based on previous reviews, but I now suspect that those reviews were coerced. There is NO REASON FOR ANYONE TO STAY HERE. It's insanely far from everything, super noisy from all the street traffic, the rooms are bordering on disgusting, and the service is dirt poor. It's actually not even affordable once you add in the taxi costs to get anywhere. No breakfast, no blankets in the room (!!), no water pressure to flush toilets, and they messed up our reservation twice. I consider myself a scrappy and savvy traveler - I always choose to stay at hostels and guesthouse because I want to meet other travelers and hopefully experience the culture of the places I visit. You will not get any of that at Bethel. This place is completely disorganized, and the whole experience almost wrecked our vacation. If you absolutely need to stay in MoBay, find another option. Otherwise, take a cab directly from the airport to Negril. STEER CLEAR!

Room Tip: This place has three floors - noise travels up so the top floor is just a racket of cars honking at...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PandasNotRobots
denzel899, Owner at Bethel Court Guest House, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
They were very upset that Bethel Court Was not an cheap all- inclusive located on the beach. Bethel Court is a place to experience the real Jamaica. We are a apartment complex. on one side we have monthly. Our tenants are mostly Doctors, Nurses, Hotel managers and other professionals, and the other side the guesthouse, which is made up of 1 and 2 bedroom furnish apartments. At Bethel Court you can experience the real Jamaica and get to know the people and music. Jamaica is made up of mostly people from African decent. They came to us we story of bad experience they had at there last stay before coming to us. They were looking for a cheap all enclusive resort by the beach, which we are not. We are 10 to 15 minutes from the beach and we provide drivers at a low cost. We are a hostel and provide a clean environment for young people at a low cost. they were not interested in getting to meet the other guest and stayed by themselfs. The dorm are clean once per day and inspected by me. The taxi fare was $0.90 USD one way. At $20.00 per night, for the dorm, we do not provide breakfast, we have a restaurant close by that charges $2.90 USD for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The temperature during their stay was Fahrenheit - 85 degrees or Celsius - 29 degrees. If they wanted blankets all they had to do was to ask. We have new American Standard Toilets, which works perfectly, no other guest complained. We did our best to cheer them up, but to no avail.
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I'm not the type of person who likes to stay in all inclusives or resorts because I feel like I'm not experiencing any kind of culture. Bethel court was the perfect mix of urban experience and resort safety. As soon as we got there we were given orientation as to how much a cab should cost and where the safe places are to go. We were then handed a map and shown to our humble and clean apartment that we shared with another couple. I felt like I was part of the family at Bethel Court and I would recommend staying there to anyone thinking of going to Jamaica because the people you meet and the amazing culture you are shown is unequivocal that you could never get in a resort.

Room Tip: Go for the private apartments if you're not comfortable sharing your space with strangers.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jill J
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

The staff here are fantastic (Steve just 'gets it' on how to run a guest house) and the whole area is set up in a way that make it very easy to meet new people and share in adventures. My fiance and I found it very fun, safe and enjoyable staying here. The downtown can seem a bit daunting at first but Bethel Court takes the time to show you around the town and will do virtually anything to make your stay as best as possible. If I were going back this is the only place I would stay. Thank you Steve, Ingrid, Richo, McKenzi and Caswell for a great time!!

Room Tip: Room number 2 was great! Jamaica is a pretty noisy place but I slept great every night
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple