“Do not stay here - bad locations, dingy, no cust. service”

Bethel Court Guest House
Brooklyn, New York
“Do not stay here - bad locations, dingy, no cust. service”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My friend and I decided to book Bethel based on previous reviews, but I now suspect that those reviews were coerced. There is NO REASON FOR ANYONE TO STAY HERE. It's insanely far from everything, super noisy from all the street traffic, the rooms are bordering on disgusting, and the service is dirt poor. It's actually not even affordable once you add in the taxi costs to get anywhere. No breakfast, no blankets in the room (!!), no water pressure to flush toilets, and they messed up our reservation twice. I consider myself a scrappy and savvy traveler - I always choose to stay at hostels and guesthouse because I want to meet other travelers and hopefully experience the culture of the places I visit. You will not get any of that at Bethel. This place is completely disorganized, and the whole experience almost wrecked our vacation. If you absolutely need to stay in MoBay, find another option. Otherwise, take a cab directly from the airport to Negril. STEER CLEAR!

Room Tip: This place has three floors - noise travels up so the top floor is just a racket of cars honking at...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PandasNotRobots
denzel899, Owner at Bethel Court Guest House, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
They were very upset that Bethel Court Was not an cheap all- inclusive located on the beach. Bethel Court is a place to experience the real Jamaica. We are a apartment complex. on one side we have monthly. Our tenants are mostly Doctors, Nurses, Hotel managers and other professionals, and the other side the guesthouse, which is made up of 1 and 2 bedroom furnish apartments. At Bethel Court you can experience the real Jamaica and get to know the people and music. Jamaica is made up of mostly people from African decent. They came to us we story of bad experience they had at there last stay before coming to us. They were looking for a cheap all enclusive resort by the beach, which we are not. We are 10 to 15 minutes from the beach and we provide drivers at a low cost. We are a hostel and provide a clean environment for young people at a low cost. they were not interested in getting to meet the other guest and stayed by themselfs. The dorm are clean once per day and inspected by me. The taxi fare was $0.90 USD one way. At $20.00 per night, for the dorm, we do not provide breakfast, we have a restaurant close by that charges $2.90 USD for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The temperature during their stay was Fahrenheit - 85 degrees or Celsius - 29 degrees. If they wanted blankets all they had to do was to ask. We have new American Standard Toilets, which works perfectly, no other guest complained. We did our best to cheer them up, but to no avail.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I'm not the type of person who likes to stay in all inclusives or resorts because I feel like I'm not experiencing any kind of culture. Bethel court was the perfect mix of urban experience and resort safety. As soon as we got there we were given orientation as to how much a cab should cost and where the safe places are to go. We were then handed a map and shown to our humble and clean apartment that we shared with another couple. I felt like I was part of the family at Bethel Court and I would recommend staying there to anyone thinking of going to Jamaica because the people you meet and the amazing culture you are shown is unequivocal that you could never get in a resort.

Room Tip: Go for the private apartments if you're not comfortable sharing your space with strangers.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jill J
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The staff here are fantastic (Steve just 'gets it' on how to run a guest house) and the whole area is set up in a way that make it very easy to meet new people and share in adventures. My fiance and I found it very fun, safe and enjoyable staying here. The downtown can seem a bit daunting at first but Bethel Court takes the time to show you around the town and will do virtually anything to make your stay as best as possible. If I were going back this is the only place I would stay. Thank you Steve, Ingrid, Richo, McKenzi and Caswell for a great time!!

Room Tip: Room number 2 was great! Jamaica is a pretty noisy place but I slept great every night
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DMAC2587
Peace River, AB
Reviewed January 13, 2012

When I met my husband, he was a 4- or 5-star hotel guy. I'm happier with much simpler accommodations, so we generally compromise with 3-star. On our trip to Jamaica, I decided to take the chance at Bethel Court Guest House with a private room with kitchen and bath. Our room was very basic, but clean, and the kitchen was definitely no-frills, but sufficed for breakfast. The property is well-maintained, but it's the neighborhood which bothered my husband most of all. Steve assured us that the streets were safe, but there was a lot of garbage, many run-down buildings, and only a few crumbling sidewalks along the side of the busy road. I'm attaching photos so you know what to expect if you stay here.

The best thing about Bethel Court is the excellent service. A driver was waiting for us at the airport, and was at our beck and call whenever we wanted to go anywhere. It turns out that Steve has a special arrangement with a few of the taxi drivers in town so we got better than average rates. Steve also had a young Jamaican man accompany us to town to show us around, have our first meal, buy groceries, exchange currency, get pre-paid cell phone cards, etc. We learned so much about the real Jamaica from being with the locals, especially the time we were in a route taxi listening to people "discuss" (to use the term loosely!!) the upcoming federal election. We can't say enough about Llewyn, one of the drivers. He was so jovial and even gave us advice for surviving the Jamaican roads as he knew we were renting a car after leaving MoBay. We were shown a a good little restaurant just down the street from Bethel Court where we enjoyed a hearty, inexpensive Jamaican-style breakfast on our last day.

Montego Bay did not appeal to us for many reasons, but I'm very glad we stayed at Bethel Court for an excellent orientation to the real Jamaica.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Reviewed January 11, 2012

McKenzie picked us up from the airport, a Great guy!
Ingrid Kindly showed us our rom and sat down with us for about 10 minutes explaining where to go where not to go etc etc..
Richard showed us around town (well to a local restaurant and supermarket) Not too much! He is such a lovely guy
Location is quite a way out.. Taxi is no more than $1 USD or 80 JMD. PER person.
Note if you ask one of the hotel drivers they charge you more.. its cheaper to get a local Taxi.

Met some fantastic people that we hung out with all the time.
Room Its ok.. nothin fancy.. Just what a backpacker needs.. Things move from room to rooms due to everyone mingling so be sure to help your self to the stuff in the dorm. Remember the chilling area is in the dorm.. We never got told this. But a Canadian kindly befriended us.. What a legend Riley!

Montego Bay - Its OK. Its safe to walk around.. I wouldnt reccommend walking at night. Dont assume Montego Bay is cheap cause it is not.. It costs 5 bux to get into the beaches.. Dont go to the free ones.. Dodgey..

local food near Bethel Court is EPIC! ask Steve to show you where it is.. There is jamaican patties, pizzas and a local restaurant. Good flavours..

Id reccommend going to Reggae Bar, Sea Wind Beach Club - Definately!! - Doctors Cave
Sunday - Cornwall BEach $10 all you can drink.. and check out some local places. People are awesome..

It can be a little awkward organising stuff with drivers.. coz they get peed off if some one takes their business etc.. beware prices change ALL the time. D not be afraid to get local busses.. it will save you ALOT of money.!
McKenzie is really reliable. He kindly let us borrow his phone so we could call him when ever we wanted to be picked up any time any place,,, He is soo lovely.

Would reccommend it to any one.. for me the people I met is what made it a great experience for me.

Thanks Everone at Bethel Court you guys rule!!!!!

Oh sleep.. be prepared to wake up to subs at 7am!!! cranking the loudest music!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The customer service is exceptional. Stevie is very warm, kind and informative. We stayed at many places on the island but Bethel Court was by far the most affordable and the most welcoming. It is a basic guesthouse, clean and safe.
I would recommend Bethel Court without a doubt!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank manali1
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Unfortunately, I was not able to stay here, but I want to let it be known that Stevie at the Bethel Court Guest House returned my email inquiries in a very promptly, fully answering all of my questions. Other guest houses took a few days to respond to me, and one guest house never did reply.
Stevie is truly attentive to his customers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo