“Good for a short stay but no more than 3 nights”

Doctors Cave Beach Hotel
Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed with my family for 7 nights for Christmas break. Room was small but clean, however, the shower didn't work properly. We did not get hot water for two mornings in a row. After we complained the first time, the staff told us that they would 'restart' the boiler. The TV remote broke 3 times and on the last night, the TV stopped working altogether!
The hip strip isnt what it used to be, a lot of the bars had adult only nights so there was little to no entertainment on the strip or inside the hotel for families. If you have young children, its best to stay at an all inclusive. As this was a last minute trip, we decided to stay there as it was within our budget.
The staff are very friendly and were very kind to my children. We enjoyed the gardens and slept well, even though the A/C unit was very old and noisy, I had to stand on a chair to turn it off as it was not remote controlled. We were given a room at the back of the hotel so we did not hear any street noise. Parking there, however, is awful. The car park holds about 6 cars total and we had to fight to get a parking space. On the last night, we had to plead with the front desk to ask the manager to move his car for us to park as we didn't have a permit to park on the street and would of gotten clamped and towed.
The bartender seemed bored with his job and was a little short when I asked him to make chocolate milkshakes for my children, which he made with ice and milk instead of ice-cream so they did not taste very nice.
The hotel isn't related to the Beach Club, so you have to pay to enter that beach but we found it over crowded and expensive so we went to Cornwall Beach which is a 2 sec walk in the other direction, much cheaper a lot cleaner and better.
The location is excellent, within walking distance of all shops. If you have a car, go for a drive into the town centre and you will find other fast food restaurants if you are sick of Burger King or paying a lot at the restaurants.
The manager was extremely friendly and nice and made our stay comfortable.

I would go back alone for a stop over but not for a long holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Rooms there are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Rooms are clean
friendly staff
small breakfast included (toast, butter, cheese, jam)
Dr. Cave Beach is not so far (entrance 3-5$)
ambiance wouldn't be enough, that I would like to stay longer than 1-3 nights - not "best hotel ever"

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I'm not big on spending money on expensive hotels. If you're looking for a resort, this is not for you. If you're looking for a place to sleep and go do things away from the hotel, it's great. The hotel was quiet, bar was dead, and the staff was fine. The only things I should note, "free breakfast" is toast and coffee, nothing else. Also, Do not use the hotel's "authorized driver" that the hotel staff recommends. He tried to charge me 40$ to drive down the street. Use a red license plate taxi while visiting Montego and always bargain the price. Bathroom and room was clean. TV, furniture and room was outdated from the 90's, but again clean. There is only WiFi in the lobby. Bar is open until 10PM. The shops nearby are very expensive for food, and trinkets. Staff is friendly and offered advice all the time. The pool is very small, but if you're in Jamaica, go to the beach. There is two beaches you pay to get into. There is two public beaches farther walk away. There is a few restaurants a short walk or cab drive away. If you take a cab from the airport it shouldn't cost more than 10$

Room Tip: There is two kinds, pool side or garden... dont waste money on the pool side, it faces the street an...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I was on my first ever trip to visit Jamaica alone, middle-aged woman from Canada. Having a small budget for my trip, I wanted a hotel in the centre of Montego Bay, with secure parking for my rental car, at an affordable price. I was fully satisfied with Doctors Cave Beach Hotel. The room was simple but clean and comfortable. Only downside was a noisy air conditioner which I had to shut off to get to sleep. Breakfast was toast, banana bread and coffee or tea. Additions of juice and a few hot items would be great. I felt totally safe and for the price I paid, I felt I got very good value. You should note it is on a busy street, not the beach. All staff were helpful and very pleasant and friendly. I would return if I visited Mo Bay again on the same budget!!

Room Tip: You may wish to listen to the volume of the air conditioner in your room - perhaps I just had an esp...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I are returning April 2014 for our 3rd visit prior to going to my villa near Round Hill. We feel so at home. The staff remembered us on our second visit this past summer. Perhaps because we are from Nicaragua. Everyone is just plain nice at the hotel. Some have been there 30+ years. Of course it does not have all 'the frills'. I have been coming to Jamaican since 1992. Alway wonderful to return. The location is perfect for strolling around Montego Bay.

Nicaragua folks

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We loved staying on the old strip. Much more interesting than the resort area with all the all inclusives. Beautiful beach right across the street, but they do charge to get in. However if you go next door to the Twisted Kilt restaurant, they have a beach entrance that is free right next to it. Many restaurants and bars, and a beautiful beach. Not for the faint of heart or inexperienced traveler, as the locals will badger you to buy stuff. All you have to say is I am good Mon, however and they will leave you alone and are very pleasant folks. The hotel is plain, and no frills, but the price is right and the grounds are beautiful. A great way to do Montego bay on the cheap and see way more than in the resort area

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony in the back away from the street. It has beautiful views of the gardens a...
Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hotel is convenient to beach and restaurants. Staff is friendly and accommodating. You are treated like family!! Prices are very reasonable. If you are looking for the excitement and prices of an all inclusive hotel don't come here..this hotel offers ambiance and the staff will arrange tours reservations shopping etc. that aren't offered at the hotel. The service is impeccable.

• Stayed: March 2013