“Inexpensive gem in the heart of the hip strip.”

Doctors Cave Beach Hotel
Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Denver, Colorado
“Inexpensive gem in the heart of the hip strip.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Let me just say first off if "All inclusive mega resort" is your style I wouldn't recommend Doc's Cave Beach Hotel. How ever if your looking for local friendliness and hospitality I can't recommend it enough. The staff are awesome, not pushy and wanting to make your stay memorable.
As other reviewers have mentioned, Kenny the bartendar, works his heart out to be your personal concierge. I feel badly that I didn't familiarize the other staff members names because they were all wonderful. kenny just happens to be somewhat larger than life and somewhat of a character.
We stayed in a suite and I recommend this. You have a seperate sitting area and a breakfast bar with oversized bar fridge and a microwave.
We chose to break up our trip doing Doc's Cave for the first few days and then heading out past the airport to stay at an all inclusive. We enjoyed our time at Doc's cave much more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeoiaR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying it's VERY detailed. I was going through reviews of Jamaican hotels only a month ago myself and i'm a very detail-oriented person, so I figured I'd write a review that would be helpful to someone like me. However, if you're interested in a short and sweet review: STAY HERE, ITS AMAZING. GREAT PEOPLE. GREAT SERVICE. GREAT EXPERIENCE. Now for the specifics:
Doctor's Cave Beach Hotel was fantastic! Myself, and the 5 others in my group are all in our 20s and it was our first time to Jamaica. We wanted somewhere with a central location (close to the beach, restaurants/bars, activities, etc..) and good prices. Doctor's Cave was perfect! The rooms were clean, tropical, and very spacious. The staff were more than accommodating...very pleasant and welcoming. Whatever we needed was "no problem!" The whole vibe of the hotel was just relaxed and friendly.
Since this was my first time to Jamaica, there was a bit of nervousness going to a country I've never been to. Although I've traveled outside of the US before, any where you go can be a little different when it comes to what to expect. And since I'm a google nut, I was preparing for the worst case scenarios. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how at ease I felt. Not once did I question my safety. Of course it's always important to be aware of your surroundings in a foreign country, there was never an uncomfortable moment. I think a huge part of that is due to the staff. (Kenny, Beatricia, Ricardo, Paul etc...)
Kenny, the bartender, was amazing! Best bartender in Jamaica. He made us arrangements for a boat cruise and helped us order food late night. Not to mention, he makes some of the best tropical drinks I've ever had. Truly fantastic guy!
If you're in need of any taxi or driver, Sammy or Glen are the best! They both work with Maxi Tours and are usually parked outside of the hotel. Sammy took us on a day trip to Negril for the Bob Marley Birthday celebration. He was with us from about 1pm until 3am when we returned. He was so wonderful...very knowledgeable, safe, and caring. He not only seemed to be enjoying his job, but also made us his top priority the ENTIRE 10 hours he was with us. Couldn't have asked for a better person to show us around. I'm sure Glen would have been just as amazing if we had given him that chance. He drove us a couple places and was wonderful also!
As far as food recommendations go: The Twisted Kilt, The Pelican, Margaritaville, Rick's Cafe (in Negril), and Scotchies.
The first three are on the hip strip, but we had to take a cab to Scotchies. But it was totally worth it. It's where locals go. The steamed fish was unbelievable. Very spicy, but so good.
Margaritaville is over priced, but you're paying for the atmosphere. Beautiful location. And there is a water slide into the ocean. Doesn't get much cooler than that.
As for activities, the boat trip was awesome. About 80$ a person, but includes snorkeling gear, drinks while on board, some of the best views of the island...and the ladies get a foot massage at the end! The day trip to Negril was also a highlight. We went to the Montego Bay market on the last day, it was a bit disappointing though. I was really looking forward to finding some unique Jamaican souvenirs, however, the locals who were in charge of each unit were extremely pushy. And from what I saw, its more or less the same kind of things in the main shops on the strip. Not really worth being overly hassled.
We went to Pier 1 on our last night. Great atmosphere and music, but bring Jamaican money! You'll be paying twice as much for drinks and the cover charge if you only have US dollars or card. There are several ATMs on the strip you can make currency exchanges. There are a ton more locals later in the night, and let me just go ahead and warn you...they can dance better than you.
Overall, this has been one of my favorite trips. I already want to start planning my next trip to Jamaica. The culture and people are beautiful. Everyone is so happy, its hard not to smile when I think of my time there. Hope this review was helpful to the detail lovers like myself! One Love.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Casey R
Snellville
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Again I had the pleasure staying at Doctor's cave, and my feelings are the same excellent customer service, and this trip was not about pleasure and i brought my whole family and they left with the same feelings about my little home away from home can't wait to visit again

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Chelyl B
Edmonton
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

The day we visited it was already 2 pm perhaps this is why the sand under my feet hit a cigarette butt or straw!

We paid 5 to get in & 5 for a beach chair which was ok because the water was great - small reef to snorkel in great for beginners as it is within the swimming bouys. There are showers restaurant too if u make it an all day excursion - closes at 5

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank brownie6244
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Doctor Cave in Montego Bay is situated in a great location.....We had a lovely and clean front view suite.The associates and managers were very pleasant....what i love about this hotel as we approach the door we got greeted with a smile.We felt like home away from home. Yes! we will stay at this hotel when we vacation in Jamaica.

Room Tip: "The corner suites are very large and sunny"
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Faith C
S.F., Calif
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Hip Strip is an active locale in MoBay but as far as a good hotel goes there... forget it. I needed to be centrally located. I've stayed in at least 7 in the past, some no longer in business. So based on the recent reviews of Gloucetershire, Montego Bay Club, El Greco, The Wexford I decided to give Doctor's Cave Beach another shot. Afterall, I was on my way home after 2 weeks in Negril and leaving the next day. I thought, hmmm can't be that bad. My days on this strip go back to the 80's when things were different and the hotels were better maintained. I had actually stayed at Doctors Cave several times Pros: Check in was smooth, front desk staff was pleasant enough, room and bathroom were clean. Cons: 1) Even though I was lucky to have a room on the front with a balcony facing the street; getting there was a long walk, hallway was dark. 2) old school, dated, air conditioning box -type unit in the wall that was struggling to put out air and it was hot as blazes. 2) they no longer have a restaurant, only offering some type of breakfast that I passed on. 3) the bar and pool area looked pretty cool but the bartender made me wait at least 15 mins, never came nor acknowledged my presence. He seemed to be busy with someone at the pool. Of course I left, then returned to the confines of my room where I sweated it out until daybreak. 4) Lastly, the price was outrageous. $157 including tax through Expedia.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank katnegril

Travelers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Snellville
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I recently Had The Pleasure of staying at The Doctor Cave Hotel in Mobay, and at first I was VERY Reluctant and was already thinking of the bad things before my vacation started , but i must say don't let Doctor Cave outer appearance fool you the outside may not have the looks of a five star hotel chain but on the inside the whole staff is five star quality from Shari in reservation who was my first contact with the property, to Roy at the front desk and Paul who is so helpful with everything, to housekeeping, the people in the lounge the lady at the pool area serving breakfast in the morning, i could go on and on doctor cave provide 5 star***** quality customer service and that's what is important to me

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple