“Good budget option” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
London
“Good budget option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2007

Just turned up and booked in. At $50 a night, it seemed to be the cheapest option in town. The all-inclusives were about three times as much and then you're tied to your hotel.

Rooms basic but with en suite and cable TV. Staff very Jamaican - friendly and helpful.

A great budget option bang in the centre of Mobay, just back from the beach.

Also recommend Sean if you want someone reliable to drive you round the island: 583-6190 (reception will be able to find him for you). He's been doing it for years, can suggest places to go and is a safe driver (in a country of deranged ones).

Enjoy,

Tim Stewart, London

• Stayed March 2007
      Location
      Check in / front desk
4 Thank tpsontour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2007

I will start by saying that the last trip to Jamaica we stayed at Sandals...wonderful...but "plastic" and not a true experience. Caribic House was like staying with friends; the rooms were a little worn, but the location is amazing, the cleanliness was beyond reproach (Marva had it smelling spic and span every day) the beds were good and the staff were wonderful and helpful. Get a 3rd floor room; the climb is great, and the view? For 57 per night? are you kidding me? Amazing!!!! When you shop, make sure you stop at hazel Dalley's, just a few doors down...one of the last original shops...what a treasured woman...coffee is on by 730 every morning....and for Jerk pork and chicken...the Pork pit....its the only choice. Have a great time....we sure did.

Curt and Michelle Kemp Regina, Canada

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank CurtK
London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

When I arrived and saw the room in which I was going to stay in I was not happy. The room was so dark with no light coming into it. My friend booked this room for me so I did not know what to expect. I knew it was a budget room but I didn't think it was going to be as bad. So I told them that I wanted another room and didn't care how much it would cost. The room allocated on was the top floor with many stairs in which I had to drag my heavy suitcases and stop every now and again. No one offered to help me after coming from a long flight and in the heat. There was also insects in the room, which I did not like at all. I couldn't wait to leave Caribic House and I would never return. Although some of the rooms did look a lot better than mine, and the view from my room was lovely. The staff were really nice and it was a very good location. At the end of the day you only get what you pay for.

Stayed January 2004
8 Thank sammyrobdog

Travelers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Montreal, canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2006

I have spent the last 11 years going to Montego Bay and staying at Caribic house. It is very simple and basic accomodations but what more do you need than a bed to sleep in, you're out and about for the most part of your day. Absolutely wonderful staff, especially housekeeping.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank sara j
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

I did not really enjoy my stay in Jamaica period, so maybe to some extent that is distort my opinion of this hotel.

The hotel is situated at a good location, the quality of the rooms vary. Best rooms are located on the top floor, the include balconies with views over the sea which is very beautiful. Rooms are of a decent size & are clean, but there were pests and insects in both of the rooms that I stayed in.

The customer service I received was below average and there was no assistance offered to me for help with my luggage into my room. It is difficult to carry all your things up to your room, the narrow flight of stairs.

On the positive though, if you’re a budget traveller then you are affectively getting what you pay for. It is good value for money given the location and facilities. Every room has air conditioning and a television with cable. However, every room does not have a main light source. But they have provided lamps to light the room.

I would not return to this hotel for a variety of reasons, but on the whole it is worth what you pay for it.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank omarlyn
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2006

I was there for my birthday and I must say that it was worth it! I have stayed at an all-inclusive hotel in Montego Bay before and now I wish I would have stayed at the Caribic House! The staff were so nice and friendly. My friend and I would always go downstairs just to conversate and laugh with them. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job to clean our rooms and one of them in particular, she was the sweetest woman and very mannerable. We reserved a room and they end up giving us a balcony view. It was gorgeous. All I can say to end this review is: "If you are looking to spend less and get a decent place to stay with the convenience of nearby clubs, stores, close to dwontown, etc. and with lovely staff, then the Caribic House is the place to be!"

Stayed March 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Troy, N.H.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2006

Though Caribic House may not be high prices and fancy/ rooms are great/staff is like family and the view from the top floor is to die for. Wouldn't stay anyplace else and have been returning year after year.
Best place on my list and I have stayed fancy and not so in all the years I have been going...#1 choice pricewise and safety....

• Stayed May 2005