“Absolutely PERFECT”
Review of Caribic House

Caribic House
Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Me and my 2 girlfriends stayed at the Caribic House during our last trip to Montego Bay and we will never stay anywhere else when we return. At first we were a bit iffy sinse all of us were used to 'all inclusive' resorts but all 3 of us couldnt be happier. The location was perfect.. right on the hip strip. The staff were so much fun and respectful and finally THE VEIW!! Absolutely amazing.. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfy.. perfect cheap place to stay for young travellers. Sinse the Caribic house does not have anything bigger than a single bed I would not reccomend for couples.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank darienalyssa

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Upon arrival we got star treatment from front desk to housekeeping! Marva went out of her way to say" Welcome back" "Good to see you again" then we got our room of choice! What a view right on the hip strip. it was a great visit. We Will Be Back!

Room Tip: Go to the top floor!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TenderP
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I think for the money, this place can’t be beat. Centrally located and only 5 mins from the airport (if you haggle over the price with the unlicensed taxi drivers at the airport, you can get the ride for about $5-$10.) Although in some ways Caribic House is sort of motel style, I felt that it was much cuter and more charming than a standard motel. It is very quaint and does not have the cheesiness or cheapness of most motels. If you don’t mind climbing, I recommend that you ask for one of the rooms on the top floor, they have the best views. I loved all of the stairs and the way the property is nestled into a beautiful mountain, I actually found it quite lovely. The room was very clean. The furniture wasn’t exactly luxury, but it was fine. The bathroom was clean and much nicer than I expected. The real star was the balcony; it was large, freshly remodeled with beautiful new tiles, and it had a lovely table and chairs and a killer million dollar ocean view. It is actually quite shocking that we only paid $60 considering the gorgeousness of the view. The absolute only drawback was the fact that the rooms have 2 twin beds rather than a king, so my boyfriend and I couldn’t share a bed. The staff was very friendly and the location was outstanding, right across from the beach and in the middle of the Hip Strip. We always felt safe and there were plenty of restaurants and shops and things to do within easy walking distance. Check out the Twisted Kilt across the street for dinner and drinks inside the Sports Bar or out on the water, lots of fun, and contrary to the name, very authentic Jamaican food. I got my hair braided on the Hip Strip, we bought some souvenirs, and all in all had a fantastic time. I felt like we had a very non-commercial, true Jamaican experience at the Caribic House, and I recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ggsnaps
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Unless you are in the mood for partying, boozing and noise, this hostel is not for you. We chose it because of its low price and close proximity to the airport and stayed there one night before our early morning flight, after having spent a wonderful week in Negril and the Port Antonio area.

We were given a room on the ground floor, right next to the stair. It was dirty, there was no hot water (NOT pleasant after a long day's drive from Port Antonio) and the fridge (which was supposed to be included in the room price) had just broken down and taken away for fixing. The front desk staff were not at all understanding and willing to help with our situation and at times were bored to even answer our questions.

There were people coming in blind drunk and shouting at 2, 3 and 4 am in the morning, not giving a damn about the fact that others may be sleeping.

On the plus side, the hostel is centrally located on the hip strip (very overrated in my opinion), just opposite Doctor's Cave Beach (entrance fee), it is close to the Montego Bay airport (not $5 each as they advertise, but $15-20 per cab, as there is a government tariff) and there is security 24-7.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank neferia
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Perfectly situated on the hip strip. We stayed here for 2 nights before we went to Belmont and 1 night before leaving for home. Nice, clean, rooms with hot running water and everything worked. what more do you want. Front desk was fast and courteous.Sorry for waiting so long until writing the review. If we go back to Mo-bay, we will stay here again. Good restaurants within walking distance and the beach is across the street. The Bobsled Cafe is right next door and the food is very good.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank prairiegal45
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We just got back from Jamaica again and stayed a few days at Caribic House in Montego Bay; so centrally located, so tidy and clean, so secure. The view is amazing, the staff is great and its just such a unique little spot, right across from Doctor's Cave Beach and Margaritaville. Hazel Dalley's shop a few doors down has coffee (blue mountain) on at 7 am and she is a wonderful old woman. This is not Sandals; if you want that, look past this review. If you want economy and a true Jamaican experience this is it.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jck1963Regina
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Although I wish I could have extended my weekend, I could not wait to get home to write my review! Oftentimes you wonder if these reviews are real when they are all 5 star ratings. I must say, THIS ONE IS!! I LOVED this little hostel. The location is perfect. Right in the heart of the "hip strip." The staff is great (I'm the worst w/names) from the front desk to security which, by the way, is ALWAYS on duty. I didn't have a room with a view but the balcony was still nice to have, very private. I really loved the shower, it was more modern than I expected it to be. Oh, my bathroom lighting wasn't great (room 8) so I'd suggest you bring a mirror (ladies:) to use in the bedroom which is very spacious. The room also has a minifridge which was quite useful. And yes, the tiled floor is clean enough to walk barefeet which I did!
The supermarket's in the condo two doors down to the right on the 2nd floor. They're a lil' steep, but the staff is cool. There's a convenience store about 6 or 7 blocks further down (it's called Food 4 Less I think), they're a little cheaper. There's a store called Strawberry's on the corner (I think before the 4 Less shop), cross the street and make a right. The bar and restaurant (the name eludes me) has really good food and the prices are reasonable.
Walk to the left of Caribic past The Bobsled Café the little souveneir store has good prices. T-shirts were 8 for $20USD, Blue Mountain coffee special's $15 A POUND!! Keep walking and there's a bar called Reggae House (?). Go up the stairs. Drinks are reasonable and exchange rates are higher than most places. A couple blocks down there's the Zinc Shack which holds good parties on the weekends (get there early or you may not get in!)
Of course there's Margaritaville to party (use JMD, they charge more if you use USD). I went during BritJam (actually there's a BIG BIG party going on tonight 3/14th w/Ding Dong) and it was a lot of fun! Keep walkin on the other side of the block, pass Burger King... There's a pretty good jerk pit called Pork Pit. The seating area is shaded and next door the bar Musiq is poppin AND there's NO COVER! There's another club (that I didn't get to but I've heard is great) called Pier 1 which is further downtown, they have a Friday night party called Pier Pressure.
Oh and yes, Doctor's Cave Beach is RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET (be careful crossing the roads). If you decide to venture off of the strip, ask the staff if they can arrange your taxi it's usually cheaper.
All in all, for my FIRST TIME IN JAMAICA I had a BALL!! Wish I could have stayed longer. Thank you Caribic House!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo