“If there has been heavy rain in past week, check before going!”
Review of Martha Brae River

$130.00*
Martha Brae Rafting and Luminous Lagoon Tour
Ranked #3 of 76 things to do in Montego Bay
Reviewed October 25, 2010

My wife and I booked to visit the Martha Brea, and sample the Rafting experiance. A word of warning, please check before hand if there has been heavy rain during the past week. When we arrived I was apprehensive as the river was in full flood and was overflowing its banks. We were assured it would be fine, the raft captains were stuggling to get the rafts to the loading area. We clambered aboard, and we were off, the captain had difficaulty controlling the raft due to the current and the height of the water, He said it was 4 to 5 feet higher in places. This resulted in myself getting caught up in over-hanging vegitation and recieving lacerations and thorns to my hands as I was trying to protect my face. The captain was very apolgetic, and the rest of trip was over very quickly it only took approx 40mins instead of the 90mins!
Had the river been at Its normal level it would have been much more enjoyable and there would have been more to see. I guess we were unlucky, but we did recieve a full refund for a poor experiance.

5  Thank fixdit
Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed March 21, 2010

We took the 3 mile long rafting cruise down the river on March 14th. Our Captain Keith was the best. He has been a raft captain for 35 years and was fabulous at explaining all sorts of wild life and trees as well as the history of the river.
I definitely recommend this attraction. Very safe and beautiful. A real treasure!

3  Thank A L
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I hired Lees Tours in Jamaica to take us rafting on the Martha Brae River. We had previously used them and their driver Micheal. Once again they did a fantastic job of picking us up on time, being very flexible, knowledgeable and professional. the Martha Brae is a worthwhile excursion if you are staying in the Montego Bay or Negril area. Lees Tours then arranged for us to go to Glistening waters in nearby Falmouth. The waters light up in the evening due to the phosphorous content and you can see the fish darting by. A great afternoon event to combine the rafting and Glistening waters all in one. Glistening waters does have a restaurant on site. The food is ok and a little overpriced for what you are getting. Overall a great excursion.

5  Thank KiskoKid
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Loved the views from this bamboo raft along the Martha Brae River. Our guide was
very informative. The water was clean and the guide would stop for you to take
a swim. All of the rafts are made from bamboo grown in the jungle that you tour. Each
guide builds his own raft. The rafts were used to transport crops down the river
to the port to be shipped to Europe. Lovely, relaxing ride. There were only a few rafts
on the river when we went.

1  Thank LanaViera_FL
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and I booked this trip while staying at Sandals Royal Caribbean for our one year anniversary.
We had meant to book this last year during our honeymoon stay but we were so delighted with the RC that we did not feel the need to leave. :)

We were driven by a knowledgeable driver who pointed out the sites along the route as we were driving, slowing down occasionally to allow us a good look.

When we arrived, we were led down a embankment where we were offered drinks which we refused because we had our own but the offering was a nice touch. We were then called by one of the guides and we followed him to his raft. He gave us life vests which we did not have to wear but were pleased to see their strict policy for safety.

The guide had his daughter with him at work that day and asked us if it was alright to have her along on the raft, to which we agreed.

His knowledge of the river and the trees along the river was immense, The only thing that bothered me was the vendors that were yelling to us from the riverbanks trying to get us to buy their products. There should be a place at the end of the trip where these vendors can set up post and be able to sell without needing to throw their items into the water, hoping that you will buy them. Unknowingly we thought the toss of a small carved raft was for the child on board with us but as soon as we found out it was for us to look at to purchase we asked the guide to give it back. He threw it to the man following the river along the road on his bike. No problem.

The guide was friendly and took his time. Many other rafts caught up with us and passed us with a speed that did not seem prudent for a relaxing ride. The guide also offered us some of his craft from his backpack but was not at all upset when we decided not to buy them.

At one point in the tour he spotted a flower and moved to the side of the river to pick one for me and he slipped into the river while attempting to get back on the raft and hit his shin on his leg very hard. We were concerned that he was hurt but he said he was fine.

We tipped him, being appreciative of his attentiveness and to let him know he was appreciated and we thanked him for being so kind.

We did not swim, as the river looked a bit muddy, but was told this was because of the recent weather there. We did not notice any garbage in or on the banks of the rivers. The greenery of the trees was amazing and the areas without the vendors was very quiet and serene.

All in all it was a nice tour of the Jamaican River and would recommend that others to go on this trip and enjoy nature as it should be.

Thanks for reading my review. hope you have a great time here.
Christi