“Great for the Price but short on BEACH!”
Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Lees Summit MO.
“Great for the Price but short on BEACH!”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Stayed two days one night....reason no beach but if that is not an improtant issue then great value for the area. Staff is wonderful manager "Doreen was very sweet and accomadating. Also Damien our personal make sure everything is OK guy was great!!! All the staff made you feel like you were part of the family. We transfered only because its location is in an older part of town and no beach at our disposal. You do have shuttle service to the other resorts so it's not hopless but inconvienent.

Room Tip: all room about the same view is the big difference..
4 Thank Cael P
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals Carlyle Inn.

We are happy that you did enjoy the time you spent at our resort and that our staff did a fantastic job at making sure you were comfortable. We appreciate your kind remarks and respect all the opinions you expressed. We look forward to welcoming you back at one of our beautiful properties.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
NovaScotia, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Sandals Carlyle feels like home except I am not the cook or maid Rooms are kept clean and fresh and staff is wonderful. We spend our days at the pool and we sometimes visit the other 2 Sandals resorts in Montego Bay for dinner. Lunch at Nibblers grill at the Carlyle is great. Entertainment was awesome. Thanks again Doreen and staff for another great vacation.

• Stayed April 2014
Hello Florence,

Thank you for your great review! It's wonderful that you felt right at home at Sandals Carlyle Inn and that our staff made sure that all your needs were met. It was a pleasure to have had you as our guest and we cannot wait to welcome you back again!
Plumas Lake
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The lowlights for Carlyle are its location and overall amenities.However, the staff and the ability to explore other resorts more than makes up for this.

The Carlyle is a cheaper (and in my opinion better) way to experience the Sandals resorts in the Montego Bay area. The other resorts (Montego Bay, and Royal Caribbean) are great resorts with far more amenities (private beaches, watersports, private island at the RC, multiple pools) but because they were larger they didn't offer the same opportunities to engage with the amazing staff members.

We found ourselves eating breakfast at Carlyle and then spending most of the day at one of the other resorts, but after dinner trying to make it back to Carlyle as soon as we could to go to the bar and hang out with the other guests there and the great bartenders and staff we met.

Among the great staff members were two of the bartenders. Oreco went above and beyond to make sure we had a great time at the bar. Lamar was great as well, some guests got him to play pool with them but he still made sure everyone had fresh drinks at the bar.

Richard (Richy Rich), the event organizer, was also great. Multiple nights guests weren't too involved in the activities but he was persistent in getting everyone involved and always tried to make sure everyone was enjoying themselves. He kept the music going later one night, just because one guest asked him to, and even though he was there until the bar closed at night, he would still be up the next morning for breakfast to teach aquacise and talk to guests at breakfast.

Jamal was also great, he played darts with us and always made sure to say hi to us when we saw him later in the week.

Kayon, Mr. Nibbles, did a great job at the restaurant as well. He was never shy about talking us up when we were sitting around getting a snack, and even ran over to the bar to get us each drinks of his choice he thought we might like.

On a side note, we had a great experience with two of the bartenders at Royal Caribbean. Rohan was a great bartender and told us his tips for a great Bloody Mary, and Nicola made a jug of her own punch for everyone at the bar to try!

Overall, this hotel is a great choice. You get to experience the other resorts but still get the low key and great service of this hotel when you come back at the end of the day. Or, if you want a more low key day, you could easily spend all day at Carlyle and have a great time!

Room Tip: The beach area is rather small and its not a sweeping ocean view but we really enjoyed the ocean vie...
3 Thank KStatePoke22
Gahanna, Ohio
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I'd like to start by saying that those who found the Carlyle to be unacceptable simply didn't do their research ahead of time. It only takes reading through a few reviews to discover that this is not a typical Sandals "resort," but is basically a hotel that allows you to visit 2 other nearby Sandals properties, still with the all-inclusive deal, but at a cheaper rate. I will say it highly disappoints me that after this many complaints the Carlyle still sets up their pictures to make it look like the beach is part of the Carlyle. The beach across the street has NOTHING to do with the property except the fact that you can see it from many of the rooms, allowing for a pretty view. It is a public beach and Sandals should make that clear and not set up fake chairs on the beach making it appear to be a part of the Carlyle.

We had a butler service room on the third floor. The room was adequate. I loved having a balcony with a view of both the pool area and the public beach. The room wasn't great, but was okay. It was not energy efficient at all. There were huge cracks in the door and windows, allowing daylight to shine right through and noise to come in. The noise from the street was honestly pretty bad. I am a light sleeper, but was able to sleep through it most nights because I was tired. The bed was also so tall that I had a difficult time getting in and out of it! I am 5'3, so pretty short, but my husband had to pull me in it half the time. The blankets also were not comfortable at all- pretty scratchy! The fully stocked bar was great, as was the balcony. The bathroom was pretty awful. The windows are vented to the outside and you can't close them so bugs just fly right in and it is very small.

The butler service was great. Dennis was simply amazing and Kenisha was very polite as well. I wish we could have given them more of a tip, especially Dennis, but we gave what we could (we aren't rich!) It was great to have Dennis bring us breakfast or dinner up to the balcony. He also prepared balloons and decorations in the bedroom for my birthday.

Checking out was not a great experience, as we received charges for 3 phone calls at $2 a piece. All I did was dial 0 during our first 2 days and then got transferred to our butler because we didn't receive our butler phone right away, due to a previous guest jumping in the pool with it. They erased the charges but I was annoyed it was there to begin with. Make sure to clarify if dialing the front desk will result in charges for you or not.

The food at the Carlyle was all good, some great! Unfortunately there aren't many options, but that's why you plan ahead the night before/beginning of the day and go to restaurants at Royal or Montego Bay. The Steak Diane at the Carlyle was wonderful. Breakfast had several options and was better than a typical hotel breakfast. The buffet was also very good in the evenings, especially the jerk chicken! Nibbles was adequate but nothing special. I thought the bar was charming and it was fun to congregate with familiar faces of others that you met at the resort every night. They never skimped us on alcohol- if anything they went overboard!

The entertainment was pretty good. I really felt bad because the staff at the Carlyle tries so hard to get everyone involved and to stay on the property, but most spend their days at the other resorts. We had a ton of fun at karaoke and dancing one night and also saw some decent dancing and singing performances.

The pool at the Carlyle was alright. The chairs were very comfy, just like the ones at the resorts on the beach and the rafts were very nice. The jacuzzi however was disgusting. My husband and I went in it one night and there was green algae caked all over and sand all over the bottom- disappointing. We did notice that it was closed to be cleaned the following day- thank goodness. They cleaned the green scum out, but the sand was still on the bottom!

The gift shop was nice, as was the welcome lounge. We booked just 2 day trips- one to Negril and one to the Rose Hall plantation. Our butler, Dennis, hooked us up with Mackie- a personal driver for the same price as taking a bus with others. It was nice to have a whole van to ourselves. Negril was quite a long day for us, but it was great sight seeing and having Mackie serve as a tour guide. We were able to drink from our cooler in the car all day too (which the butlers packed for us!) We snorkeled at Negril and the resort was nice. We went to Rick's Cafe after and watched cliff divers. I am not sure I would spend the money on this trip if I could go back in time, but it was nice. The Rose Hall tour was short and sweet, but my husband and I are big fans of the show Ghost Adventures and wanted to check out this tour. The property was beautiful and creepy at the same time- we definitely enjoyed it!

The reason I am giving this trip a 4 instead of a 3 is the fact that you can spend the vast majority of your time at Royal Caribbean or Montego Bay. The shuttles leavie every hour (except for a lunch and dinner break) starting at 9:30 am and ending I think just after midnight (we never came back that late.) We typically stay up late but were always so tired there! Royal Caribbean was laid back and nice-plenty of room for relaxing and picking a nice spot in a beach chair. Montego Bay was fun and more of the party scene. We spent most time at MoBay. More prime beach spots were taken, but if we looked for a few minutes we never had a problem finding a good spot.

We enjoyed Tokyo Joe's, Cucina Romana, and the Cricketers. We stuck to these restaurants because we weren't sure how strict the dress codes were. My husband didn't bring dress pants, but probably should have. Boat shoes would be a good idea too! Everyone dresses up in the evenings for dinner. Most females are in dresses, even at the resort casual restaurants. We probably could have went to more fancy restaurants but didn't want to be the least dressed up pair there.

I could go on for days, but to sum it up, the staff was great, the property was okay, and the deal to stay at one play at 3 was what made this a really great vacation for us! Make sure to bring plenty of bug spray and sunscreen and travel with a pen so you don't have to borrow one to fill out the customs papers on the planes there and back!

Room Tip: I would highly recommend 3rd floor butler rooms if you are staying at this property. They are the mo...
2 Thank Katie W
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I just stayed at the Sandals Carlyle for 5 days. This was our first trip to Jamaica and our first all inclusive. It was great. The beach was nothing like what it looks like on website (much smaller and not as nice as it is not private). This is ok though since you can always go to the other 2 resorts (Montego Bay, Royal Caribbean). We had the butler service and had 2 different butlers (Nigy and Dorian). Dorian really did nothing for us but Nigy was AMAZING. The rest of the staff was great too as they really do treat you like family. I would highly recommend staying with Sandals and if you can, ask for Nigy as a butler. He truly loves his job and was such a pleasant gentleman. He made our trip.

Room Tip: If you are staying here and have the butler service ask for Nigy. He is AMAZING.
3 Thank Kristin B
Altoona, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 1, 2014

WOW we had so much fun I don't know where to start. We had a buttler suite Dennis and Kenisha were fantastic! They were able to find mountain dew in a land of coke product. We stayed most of the time on the resort having a slow relaxing vacation. We did go to the two other resorts to snorkel and play on the beach and they were wonderful. I have to give out a BIG shout out to to the watersport area dircetor (sorry didn't catch his name) I lost my perscription sunglasses in the ocean not only did they find them but he drop them off at the Carlyle on his way home that is the Sandals service. We ate at the thre resturants all week and the service was impecable Kimberly and Justine and all the staff were the best. The social center was the bar I think we spent too much time there but it was soooooo fun. Oricco, Lamar and Georgette always took care of you and made sure we have the time of our lifes. The thing I realy liked was the small feel I knew every staffer from management to the maids and they all thought I was crazy but gave there all to make sure everything was great. We renewed our vows and it was done with such elegance I was blown away. We can't wait till we can go back

Room Tip: top two floors have balconies
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Hotel / Resort - It is not what I initially thought it would be. It's pretty much an overpriced Courtyard Marriott. Nonetheless, it's really a place to lay your head while you enjoy the city and sights. We spent 90% of our time on the other Sandal resorts in Montego Bay. The shuttles come often and they're reliable. Advice: grab towels from Sandals Carlyle Inn. The other Sandals properties never have beach towels available. I made friends with a taxi driver to show us the local parts of town. I didn't know they were charging me for those transferred cell phone calls to my room.

Staff - They are probably the only reason I would ever consider staying at the property again. They are truly amazing. Chef Roberts takes the time to know you and your preferences. The servers and front desk staff is amazing. They can make any request happen.

Room Tip: they are all pretty much the same rooms.
2 Thank urbaneworldwide