“Still best place to feel at home”
Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This Sandals may be small and older but still a great place to visit.Once more of the rooms get renovated ( I understand this is being planned ) then would be surprised to see any negative reviews. The Staff are great and friendly.Doreen and Kaveen are always ready to help in any way they can and are 2 of the employees that are staples at Sandals Carlyle keeping everything running smooth for the guests.The new GM at the Carlyle is Christoper Elliott and a nicer gentleman would be hard to find in the Sandals group.He is not only friendly to the visitors but it was common to see him first thing in the morning giving a friendly hello to the staff no matter what the job they had. That to us is a sign of a good leader.Another plus at this resort is chef Kevin. He was interested in how you wanted your food not just what he wanted to cook. It was obvious he wants the guests to enjoy the meals.The choices may be smaller then the bigger resorts but most visitors would say the food tastes better. This was our third visit to this sandals and the smallest resort but our returning speaks for itself.

Room Tip: At this time the 3rd floor are renovated and the 2nd is in the planning. Most rooms have a good view...
2  Thank LJOntario
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

We're so happy that you enjoyed the our quaint resort and delicious dining. Our staff members at Sandals Carlyle exemplify the true meaning of service. They are always so warm and welcoming to all of our guests. I'm glad that your stay was indicative of the norm. Thank you so much for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another wonderful stay!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,760)

Reviewed January 25, 2014

After looking at several reviews of this resort I must admit I went with a heavy heart thinking that I was not going to enjoy the experience. Firstly this is not 5 star.. 4 star but could be 5 with some tweaks. First tweak the owners must be more honest with the descriptions given, The beach is public and very small and across the road from the hotel,the views from the upper floor windows both front and garden are not the most appealing, being of trees, telegraph poles, hotel across the road and if you strain your neck a bit of the beach. Some of the rooms need refurbishing badly and they all need proper shower units fitted instead of over the bath type showers.
Having said all that.... I loved it. :-) We were in a downstairs room 105, it was clean and well appointed and perfectly good for our needs. It looked out on the pool and terrace area and yes you could hear the noise from the pool area but it was not intrusive and had usually ceased altogether by a respectable 1030pm...that was until the last 2 nights when some guests rather worse for wear decided to sit in the Jacuzzi until the early ours making a lot of noise....needless to say they were despatched by the other residents to their rooms after being asked to quieten down several times. The noise from the street was not a problem and certainly no more than any other resort, Jamaicans are a vibrant people and love music...loud music...which they play from their cars as they drive past..yes you can hear it for the duration of the drive past. A few seem to have problems entering their cars without setting off the alarms...but it soon stops. The local Police patrol the area on a regular basis so the locals tend to avoid the area apart from using the beach. If a local approached trying to sell things... a firm but polite no thank you sends them on their way, unlike in some Med countries where you get hassled to death to buy and enter their shops. The food at the hotel was lovely and the Carlyle Restaurant was fantastic with excellent food. The shuttle was good to the other resorts and seeing as my other half was there for the diving I spent a lot of the mornings over at the Montego Bay waiting for him. On return to the Carlyle there was never a prob with sun beds always at least a few available. The small bar area at the back is a friendly place to be to round off the evening. the fitness centre is well equipped and spotlessly clean. The Spa is on the 3rd floor and the ladies there give a good service. This is not a hotel for people who want masses of entertainment....go to Montego Bay or the Royal for that, it only has 52 rooms so the max guests will be 104. ..it is for people who want the diving and excursions and then to flop on a sunbed and then a quiet evening. The Staff are fantastic, hardworking, and always cheerful, Nothing is a problem for them, they sort any problems you may have quickly if they can fix it and with a smile. Somethings are out of their control...like the electricity going off because of the Tropical Storm or a drain getting blocked for what ever reason...however these kind of things are once again fixed as soon as possible by maintenance. It's a good resort that could with a bit more spending be a great resort. My thanks go to the Staff, who made this holiday very good, Janet from housekeeping sourced me a kettle for my morning cuppa as I am not a morning coffee person, Dale and Darwin for their lovely happy faces at Meal times, Brenda for the most fantastic Massage I have ever had... and believe me I have had a few. Kaveen..who I swear sleeps under her desk as she was always there when ever I passed. Just everyone was fantastic. Thank you for a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Don't expect 5 star and you will not be disappointed
5  Thank jasicle

Thank you for your great review of Sandals Carlyle. We're so glad you had such a fantastic stay with us. Our staff is top notch and truly do their best to ensure our guests have amazing experiences on resort.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another great vacation!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Our fourth visit to Sandals and first visit to the Carlyle Inn and it was of the not the fanciest one, the best place to always get a meal, or the best beach in Sandals. But during Christmas and New Year it was the best one for being with family. The second night there we met with Kaveen who greeted us with hugs as we have been friends forever. The same night we also met with Chris and Kwashie the managers. I was amazed as I never meet any of the other managers at any other resort. We sat around and talked and had a few drinks. Then we were laughing about the noise outside on the road and beach. As after the first night I was so tired I didn't hear a thing. As for the rest of our 11 days, I don't remember the outside except the "Peanut Man", and only because that was a very weird noise. I can only remember hearing him a few times. This place reminds me of hotels in Europe in busy cities.
I once read a review on this particular hotel and the writer stated the rooms were not fancy as others in Sandals. So I was not disappointed in the room at all. Our room was always clean and the housekeepers were there twice a day to take care of us. We had a great bed and more than enough furniture for our clothes. We had a nice balcony overlooking the pool. We didn't spend much time in the room anyway as there was so much to do at all three resorts.
We took off at 730 in a "free taxi" over to the Royal Caribbean to dive with the best Dive Team in the world. The manager Devon, "Mr. President", made sure everything was perfect every day. We had the best time with some of Sandals best dive masters. Our second time diving with Brian, who is truly was our favorite but the rest of the team is tied for second. This time we had a ton of fun with David who took us out the most dives. The best thing about Sandals is our time with the dive masters. We never seem to dive with more than 5 people, so there was more time under the water. I also have to mention the great night dive we had with RJ and boat Captain Rawe. Also RJ took us on a hunt for a nurse shark and he sure did find one for us. Thanks RJ. I had a great dive with Diesel and great talks on the boat to and from the dive site. Thanks Shaq for finding me the octopus on our dive.
Still at the Royal Caribbean is the best bar of all the" Mariner", which includes two of the best people in the world. Rodrick and Tracey Ann are always there to take care us in the best way. In July 2013, Rodrick made a new drink for my wife and named it the "Jennie-Jennie Special" and after five months and maybe over 1000 new customers the man still made it perfect. When we arrived to the bar every day to get a "Jennie-Jennie Special", everyone at the bar wanted one. So if you want something fruity and lots of rum just ask for the "Jennie-Jennie- Special". Then when Rodrick is not there or we are sitting by the beach or poolside, Tracey Ann was always there to get us our special drinks. Every day we would get big hugs and smiles from Tracey Ann. I would also like to say they have an up and coming bartender named Garth. He will one day be a great bartender as well.
We also learned on this trip about the island. We learned that it was much quiet over there and we were always able to find a place under the sun. Also they have the spiciest Jerk Chicken out of all the places.
After the long days we really enjoyed dinner at the Carlyle Inn. The cook and entire staff were always nice and worked as a great team. We truly like eating there the three times we had dinner.
The night life was brought alive every night from two people, Richie Rich and Alphanso, who kept us entertained most nights. We pretty much spent every night at the Carlyle singing, dancing and playing games and having so much fun with the other guests. I think Richie Rich is one of the hardest working person in entertainment. Our bartender Lamar was awesome every night we were there into the late night. I will be back for more of his fun this summer.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis H
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dennis, thank you so much for your review of Sandals Carlyle. We're thrilled to know that you had an excellent visit at our resort. We always want to impress our guests and I'm glad that you enjoyed your entire stay. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is definitely for just a overnight stop if you are on a quick business trip in Montego Bay and yet it's overpriced for that purpose. If it wasn't for the the Sandals exchange program where you can stay at one hotel and access all the other Sandals location in Montego Bay I would have been even thoroughly disappointed. If you are looking for a real all inclusive resort experience then this location is not the top on my list. The room was ok and the staff was friendly though and I did enjoy the complementary champagne. Overall I give it an average rating.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joel F

Thank you for your feedback, Joel. It seems you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, especially our Stay at 1, Play at 3 Program. However, we always strive to meet all the needs of our guests during their stay with us and we're disappointed that we did not meet this goal. We hope you will afford us to opportunity to offer you a stellar experience in the future.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My friend and I returned from the Sandals Carlyle in MoBay, Jamaica. We stayed for 7 days arriving Xmas day and departed New Year’s day. I was hesitant at first since we are two single girls staying at a couples resort. But, in the end, we both had an amazing vacation; it truly felt like home away from home. The exceptional service began the moment we arrived and remained right until we boarded the bus to the airport. My friend got the flu on the third day, but thankfully she was well taken care of by the staff at the Carlyle. Although the resort is small, it has a lot of charm because not only are guests friendly, but staff at the Carlyle put a lot of care into all that the resort offers. Every interaction with staff is personalized.

The set-up, entertainment, and food at the New Year’s Eve Party at the Carlyle was absolutely memorable. We now understand why the regulars return to the Sandals Carlyle because everyone just has a good time!

My friend enjoyed swimming at the public beach across the street from the Carlyle or just lounging by the pool as it is not busy (i.e., small resort) and relaxing at the Carlyle. I, on the other hand, enjoy having an active day so having the variety at the three Sandals kept it interesting. Access to all three Sandals was definitely a huge bonus! There is complimentary shuttle service between the resorts and we were quite surprised that the shuttle was always on time. I was also quite surprised that the gym equipment at the Sandals was in good condition as from experience with travelling to numerous sunny destinations and staying at a variety of different chain resorts that this is often difficult to find. However, by being creative and utilizing the space that is available (as the beach is sectioned off between resorts), I was still able to keep my workouts outdoors.

As this is my second time in Jamaica, I didn’t book excursions, but there was ample opportunity to do that at the Sandals. We also did not have the opportunity to use their spa services. As we are two single girls who do enjoy some night life, there is a complimentary shuttle organized by Margarittaville that picks up guests from the resort and takes guests back, so you don’t have to worry about a taxi. Margarittaville is just a short walk (15 to 20 min) from the Carlyle as the resort is located on the hip strip. My friend and I did this walk during the day and we both felt safe doing that. There are tourist security personnel along the strip, but as with any other place around the world, be street smart and take safety precautions into consideration.

The food at the Carlyle as well as the two other Sandals (i.e. Royal and MoBay) was delicious. Once again, access to a variety of different dining options (both a la carte restaurants and buffets) at all three Sandals was a bonus! Especially at the Carlyle, the serving staff were friendly and the chefs put effort into their creations as dishes were impressive. Even the bartenders put extra care into mixing our drinks!

Management staff were always present and ensured that on a daily basis we were having a good stay. In fact, all staff at the Carlyle met our requests and ascertained that each day was as perfect as it could be. Taking into consideration the price we paid for the holiday season, the location (minimal travel time to and from airport and getting to margaritaville/seeing the hip strip), exceptional food, access to all three Sandals with lots of daily activities if you choose to participate, and especially the great service from staff, we would recommend the Sandals Carlyle (even if you are two single girls) for a hassle-free and relaxing get away.

The only negative that I can think of was the noise at night since Carlyle is a small property with some of the rooms facing the public beach and street. We had a room that faced this public beach as well as Carlyle’s pool and entertainment area. So, my only recommendation is to bring ear plugs especially if you are a light sleeper. The other option is to request a room at the back of the resort (garden view?) which might be less noisy.

Thank you Carlyle for a wonderful vacation experience! Hopefully, we’ll be back soon!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 8RW8

Thank you for your review of Sandals Carlyle. Your stay got off to a rough start with the flu but I'm glad the staff made you both extra comfortable and took excellent care of your friend.

We're so happy to hear you both had an amazing stay with us. It was an honor to host you and we look forward to your return in the future!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Looking at the Sandals website for this hotel, you will be fooled into thinking that you have a beautiful room and a private quite vacation with your own private beach. Upon arrival everything seemed just fine, yet as time went on the Carlyle showed what it truly is and that is a sub par hotel which in my opinion is more like a motel. Sandals should be embarrassed with the quality of this place and should either put a truck load of money into it or sell it and get there name off of the building. The hotel lacked everything from food to drinks, and that beach they have you cant even call it a beach its more like a hill of sand on the water agenst a cement wall where the locals seem to stake claim and hound everyone who trys to go and relax there trying to sell you everything from drugs, bracelets, and hair bradding. All my wife wanted was an authentic beef patty and for 1 week they seemed to never restock we had to go to the other resort on the last day to get one. The room alone was disappointing enough, the window hinges were hanging out of the wall (pictures to follow),ants in the bathroom, and good luck trying to get a good nights sleep. Every night was a challenge to get to sleep we were right up agenst a bunch of tennis courts that were not a part of the hotel which wasn't too bad but along the main road all night you hear to locals ans cars speeding honking and blasting music, even with the windows shut you can still clearly hear it. We lost power in half of our room ,lost hot water, and lost water pressure on the night of a basic rain storm. As you look out your window you will notice the barb wire right under your window which really gave me a romantic feel lol. The staff seems to be going through the motions knowing they work in a tiny sub par "resort", they were very forgetful. Walking through the hotel at night you get a feel of being stabbed with the dim lighting and air conditioners from each room out over the doors are loud. There is plenty more for me to complain about but honestly this hotel isn't worth writing more about, all I can say is staying here has ruined my wife and I's honeymoon and we will never stay at another sandals again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
2  Thank Peter S

Thank you for posting about your stay with us. I’m so sorry that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. We are known for providing luxury in a friendly and comfortable environment and unfortunately, during your experience, it seems we did not meet those expectations.

Your opinion is very important to us and we have noted your dissatisfaction with a number of areas. We have tried to contact you via message to discuss and hopefully resolve this matter but we were unable to reach you. I encourage you to contact us at 1-888-SANDALS if you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We returned from Sandals Carlyle this past weekend after a 7 day stay, and loved it! If you do your research beforehand, you realize what you're in for and will have no disappointments- it is true there is no private beach at the Carlyle location, but the exchange program with Royal Caribbean and Montego Bay locations works fabulously. Sandals Carlyle is for the more adventurous visitor, Andre at the the island adventure tours desk was extremely helpful and personable when we booked our White Witch ziplining experience, which was a blast- a 2 hour ziplining course through the jungle with great views of the ocean from high up! As well for the adventurous is Carlyle's location at the end of the Hip Strip of Mo' Bay- you are able to immerse yourself in the local culture easily (or at least make your way to Margaritaville with a 10 minute walk). No worries about crime with common sense about watching your belongings while out on the street, and you will be approached by people offering all sorts of services, but with a polite "no thank you" you will be fine and left alone.
At Carlyle...definitely spring for the butler service in the Oceanview penthouses- there are great deals for these rooms, and are worth it! The butlers were attentive, although a little disorganized sometimes (our dinner reservation times were always wrong once we got to the restaurants, and there were 2 nights that we had shown up to restaurants after asking our butlers for reservations to find that no reservation had been made.). The 3rd floor rooms were beautiful, and we spent a lot of time on the balconies. The Carlyle staff was wonderful overall- one person we wanted to tip but could not per resort policy was Darwin at Bayside Window restaurant- a wonderful personality and extremely thoughtful man- we think he deserves a promotion!!
The 15 minute shuttle rides to Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Royal Caribbean were no problem, on-time service, great drivers. The beaches at SMB and SRC were beautiful- I definentely recommend taking the 9:30 shuttle everyday to get your pick of seats on the beach or by the pools. Also, highly recommended restaurants you may eat at at these resorts are Tokyo Joe's at SMB as well as Cucina Romana at SMB- really outstanding food. Lunches at SRC were great at the beachside grill and pizzaria- the jamaican patties are really yummy as well as the Hawaiian pizza.
Drinks are watered down, but trust me, that is not a bad thing!!

All in all, a great trip for the price!

Room Tip: 3rd floor oceanview is recommended for view of poolside and oceanside action; only drawback is the n...
2  Thank Sue H
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for your review of your wonderful stay at Sandals Carlyle! We're so glad that you enjoyed every minute of your vacation with us. You experienced the excellent location of our great resort as well as the exciting amenities of our two sister resorts in Montego Bay.

We can't wait for your return for an even better stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
#23 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Inn? Share your experiences!