“It's nearly Nirvana”

Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
London, United Kingdom
“It's nearly Nirvana”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wow a friendly lovely place for our first Sandals Trip. The service is supreme and the food is very good, the external noise is very Caribbean so have an open mind or got a room at the back of the resort. The idea of being able to shuttle is excellent too, but overall excellent! Go to the other two resorts for great beaches..

Great place!

Room Tip: Go for a quite back room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you for your review of Sandals Carlyle. We're so delighted to read that your vacation was such a wonderful experience at our resort. Our staff is known to take excellent care of each guest and I'm so happy that your stay was nothing short of extraordinary.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Thanks to sites like tripadvisor I knew that the picture in the brochure was not a true reflection of this hotel. Such a shame as it gets a lot of people off to a bad start. In the UK I think it could be criticized through our regulations on honest portrayal of goods and services.
That being said - if you go with the knowledge that this is the cheapest property within the Sandals Group - also the oldest - then prepare yourself for a lovely time!
Yes - it's a bit shabbty in places and there is no lift (really crucial to know that if you have mobility problems and, sadly, the least good rooms are at ground level. BUT - the staff are great, the food is lovely and you can treat the place as a base from which to visit the larger hotels in Mo Bay using the free hourly shuttle bus. At the other two hotels you can take part in all the watersports and eat in a variety of restaurants. By the end of the day you'll be glad to retreat back to the relative peace of the Carlyle!
We were showered with enthusiastic politeness and care and cannot speak too highly of the staff from management to bar staff, from cleaners to receptionists. They make you feel special and individual - something the larger properties cannot even begin to achieve.
So - back to the beach! In the pictures the idyllic beach looks as though it is right next to the hotel and it is - except for the road! Don't be put off! I love swimming and my best swims were from this little beach - with some delightful locals - chattty and totally non threatening in any way. This was a slice of the real Jamaica that you will never experience closeted behind the security gates of the larger Sandals resorts. I could simply leave my stuff with the charming security guard at the entrance to the hotel, hop over the road and be in the sea within 30 seconds! And, yes, it can be a bit noisy at night - this is where the locals come to swim and chat and why shouldn't they! So - if you are on a budge and want to experience Sandals I would highly recommend the Carlyle for a uniquely homely feel and as a base for exploring. Don't expect luxury but do expect to be treated like you're someone special and to be warmly greeted when you return after a day out. It's a jewel, albeit a littel one, in the crown of Sandals!

Room Tip: No lift so choose carefully. We had 213 and it was ideal for my husband who isn't too mobile...
3 Thank Annagene
Lymwood
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

I feel that this resort is not for those who want fun and excitement. This resort is for those who want to relax in an quiet, calm environment. This is an intimate resort for just married, empty nester's or the retired. The resort does not have an beach onsite but across the street where the locals who beg constantly also have access to. The food was fair the menu's change daily but they are the same every other day. There is only one pool which is rather small. There is only one bar which is also small. The rooms are nice unless you're on the 1st floor then its like you're staying in an motel not a resort. The employee's are really nice especially the front desk host Shanetta if I spelled her name right. If it wasn't for the option of being able to go to Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Royale our trip would of been a complete waste.

• Stayed December 2013
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I chose this resort because of the price, but will go back because of the service. My husband and I did a vow renewal ceremony and chose this resort since I was paying for two rooms and air for four.
I can't say enough good things about the Carlylse. My husband and I booked a butler level room. I urge you all to spoil yourselves and take advantage of this option. No the room was not really a suite, but quite comfortable. A special shot out to our butlers Kenisha (never fear Kenisha is here) and Anthony. They were both wonderful. The night before we checked out Kenisha arranged for our laundry to be done (no extra charge) and helped us fold and pack the next morning.
Richie Rich was the activities director and was great. Small resort, small participation, but he personalized the activities to meet our interests. Thanks for making our stay fun and interesting.
One of our waiters, Darwin, was so accommodating we just could not be happier.
Shoshanna was our "wedding planner" on property. She attended to every detail and gave us the wedding we didn't have the first time.
No, this resort is not your typical Sandals. It's small, has no beach and limited activities. If you want more action you can grab the shuttle and go to the other two larger properties. All of this is included.
We felt so special and appreciated by the caring staff you overlook the small glitches that happen on any trip.
We travel quite a bit and I was in the hotel business for 20 years and I really have to say this was one of our best vacations ever! Its not every General Manager who will be there when you leave and give you a hug.
Thanks to all. Your kindness, caring and spirit make this a very special place.

Room Tip: No elevator, but third floor rooms are renovated.
5 Thank Silvermamma
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Carlyle. We're so happy to hear that you had such an incredible stay at our resort. We strive to offer amazing experiences to our guests, filled with luxury and superb service. I'm so glad we were able to achieve that goal during your stay. We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!
Olyphant, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort for a week in October and had a wonderful vacation!
We have stayed at 2 other Sandals/Beaches resorts in Negril, and the Carlyle is our new favorite. Although the location of the Carlyle is not the greatest, the exceptional service and quality of the food make up for it. The food is by far the best, as compared with any other resorts we have eaten at.
I think that because the food is not prepared on such a large scale, as compared to the bigger resorts, you can tell that it’s made with love. The wait times for food were a little long, but we didn't mind because everything was so delicious. Honestly, what's the rush when you're on vacation anyway?
Yes, the resort is quiet and laid back, but this just made us love it even more. My husband and I are 28 and 34, and although the majority of guests were older, this did not make our experience any less fun.

Initially, because of the negative reviews regarding the Carlyle’s location and beach situation, I was a little nervous about booking this trip. I usually spend the majority of my vacation time on the beach, so I was worried that this beach issue would ruin our trip. It wasn’t a big deal though, once we got there. We chose not to visit the public beach. Nothing against the locals who frequent it; it’s just that the beach is small, and was sometimes crowded. The fact that there are shuttles running hourly to the 2 other Sandals resorts in Montego Bay alleviates this issue. On the days we chose to spend at the beach, we hopped on the shuttle and took a 5-7 minute ride to the Montego Bay resort.
We even opted to spend a few days lounging at the pool, which we normally never do. Because of the small size of the resort, it felt like we were in our own private pool. On the days we used the pool, there were only a maximum of maybe 4-6 other guests around, and a staff member came by every 15 minutes or so, to see if anyone needed drinks or food. This is normally not the case at the larger Sandals we have stayed at, where the pools are usually pretty crowded.

As far as the rooms go, I think some people providing these reviews a little too picky.
If you want something that is really fancy, then pay the extra money and stay at one of the larger, more expensive resorts.
We stayed in a room on the 2nd floor, which was not remodeled. Although the room was nothing to rave about, it certainly wasn’t terrible. It was spacious, and clean. These are usually my two main concerns when on vacation. Other than sleeping and showering, we didn't spend a whole lot of time hanging out in the room.
We travelled with another couple, who stayed in one of the newly remodeled rooms on the third floor. I will say that their room was very nice. However, the quality of the bathroom fixtures or the floor tile in my room is not going to change my overall satisfaction with a vacation.

Our room was also facing the public beach, which I have seen some complaints about.
We had no issues with noise. When we were sitting out on the balcony we could see/hear people on the beach, or hear their music, but it was never so loud that it bothered us, or kept us awake.
Another plus, our rooms were tended to by the cleaning staff twice daily, which I also think was possible because of the resort’s small size.

Overall, for the price, I think the Carlyle is a great resort. The staff is fantastic Everyone is so friendly. I really wanted to cry after we left; I felt like I was saying goodbye to new friends. Andre and Richard are wonderful entertainers, Denise, Lamar and TeeJay are excellent bartenders/servers, and Kayon at Nibbles Grill is a fantastic cook. The general manager Chris also made us feel like valued customers. He introduced himself when we arrived and said goodbye upon our departure. We actually almost missed seeing him when we were leaving. As we were sitting in the shuttle, almost ready to pull away, he hopped onto bus to catch us and say goodbye! Every single server, cook, and cleaning person I encountered was so nice and courteous. The entire staff is incredibly hardworking and everyone went above and beyond to make our stay the very best.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Megan H
Megan, thank you so much for your review. We're thrilled that you enjoyed every minute of your stay at Sandals Carlyle. We love to hear our guests boast of the incredible moments shared at our resort. We can't wait to welcome you back for another great stay!
Paris, Arkansas
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Carlyle. We chose this resort to have our wedding on Dec. 12th. I can't say enough great things about the staff. Soshanna was my wedding planner and she is just terrific. Dalton welcomes you with a warm smile, Darwin keeps you laughing, and Mr. Nibbles keeps your belly full. The Carlyle is a small resort but is a great value. Our room was a little out dated but the color of the bathroom tile did not ruin our entire vacation ;). We stayed in a balcony room over looking the garden which was perfect for us. We felt right at home the minute we arrived and can not wait to go back. Just a few tips: Be sure to make dinner reservations early. They fill up fast! If you go across the street to the public beach you will be approached by locals to buy something. Also, phone calls are very expensive. The wifi is $14.99 a day but a much cheaper way of staying in touch.

• Stayed December 2013
Fallston, Maryland
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

A great vacation. It was just four nights long, but the staff and management made it a very enjoyable and carefree stay.it was our third time staying there and the warmth and personal attention has never been anything but fantastic.
Allen & Mary Lovelace