“All Inclusive Quiet and Relaxing”
Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Tilton, New Hampshire
“All Inclusive Quiet and Relaxing”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Spent one week at the Sandals Carlyle. We were able to play at Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Royal Caribbean. The other two resorts were grander and had a great beach, but we enjoyed coming home to the quiet relaxation of the Carlyle. Richie Rich, the playmaker at the resort, kept us entertained. Zedrine was a fabulous housekeeper and decorated our room with towel art. Tee Jay kept our drinks filled at the pool and we think he'd make a great playmaker. Soshanna was our wedding planner and made sure our special day was extra special. We would highly recommend Sandals. The service, food, and rooms are all wonderful and the staff seems to truly care about each and every guest.

Room Tip: Room 217 - very quiet. No balcony, but a big room and away from all the fuss.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
We're so happy to hear about your relaxing stay at Sandals Carlyle. Our sister resorts are much bigger but we're glad to have many guests like you who enjoy the quiet and family-like atmosphere of our resort. Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
Ronkonkoma, New York
Reviewed December 15, 2013

First, we want to say that the staff at the Carlyle are exceptional, particularly Michael at the Front Desk, Kwashie, Kaveen and the GM Christopher. You will also meet the hardest working man in Jamaica in Richie Rich. He handles all of the activities and is tireless in his efforts to provide fun, quality entertainment for everyone and he succeeds in doing just that!

Upon arrival at the airport you get to stay in Sandals lounge, which was a nice touch. You get to enjoy some beverages while waiting for your shuttle to the hotel.

The property is quaint, once you get past the location. There is no front property, so the hotel is right on the street and can be quite noisy between the traffic and locals hanging out on the beach. We were on the 2nd floor which hasn't been renovated and the room was quite tired. We had some minor annoyances, which Michael took care of, though some things were beyond his control. We used the white noise machine provided and that helped.

The food was great and the drinks exceptional. The bartenders at this location are not stingy with the alcohol. The Jingha games were pretty intense. We visited Mr. Nibbles who makes excellent snacks and is very entertaining.

We took advantage of the onsite spa for a couples massage and facial. It was disappointing that we heard a phone ringing during our treatment and one of the technicians stopped to answer the phone. The technicians were very good, but they also kept talking to each other during the treatment which dampened the relaxation aspect.

We also visited both the RC and MoBay locations. It was nice to have the option to go to these as they have private beaches and give you additional dining options. We highly recommend Le Jardinear (the French restaurant) at RC. Our waiter Sheldon never stopped giggling which was great! The shuttles were a prompt and convenient way to do that. The dinner break, meaning no 8:15 pm shuttle, could be annoying at times.

We would stay here again, but definitely in a renovated room away from the road.

A special thank you to Kwashie for the crab omelets. We really enjoyed them!

Room Tip: We gave the room a Poor rating because the 2nd floor is in dire need of renovating and our room was...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We're happy to read that your stay, overall, was very enjoyable. This was mostly due to the excellent service provided by our staff. However, we always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. Your comments are very valuable in this process. Therefore, we thank you for your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back or to any of our other properties for an excellent stay in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was our first time at a Sandals resort and we definitely started with the right one. From the moment we arrived we felt like family being welcomed back to a place we had never been to. We were brought into an air-conditioned room while we filled out check-in paperwork which was much appreciated as we were still in our Chicago clothes. Since it was our honeymoon we splurged on the penthouse petite suite with a butler, and compared to other resorts this was an affordable option at the Sandals Carlyle. We were wowed with the level of service of not only our butlers, Kenisha, Anthony, and Dennis; but also all our friends at the bar (Oreco and Lamar make the best surprise drinks), Bay Window (Darwin always had a kind word and a great suggestion for our meals), and Kayon -Mr. Nibbles "Upgraded, Double D!". We enjoyed all the fresh fish and especially Jamaica night when we got to taste the local cuisine..We both went back for second helpings it was so good.

All our adopted family made the trip really memorable and a reason we will come back in the future. A big pat on the back needs to go to Richie Rich, the hardest working person we know. He is up from sunrise to way past sun-down entertaining and putting on programs for the guests to get involved. He keeps his energy high and makes you want to participate, which I definitely suggest if you want to enjoy your time at the Carlyle. You will get swept up in everything there is to do and it truly makes it feel like a big resort, but it's even better because you know the names and faces of the other guests you are playing with. We made great friends on our week stay and will never forget the fun experiences we got to take part in.

We had other experiences that made us feel special such as Anthony decorating our room while we were out to dinner at the Montego Bay Sandals (without us asking), Kenisha setting up a special table for us on Jamaica night/working magic with a reservation, and Dennis checking up on us at the pool and making sure we had snacks from the Nibbles Grill or whichever drink we pleased. They always had a smile on their faces and were such a pleasure to speak with and spend time with we wish we could have stayed longer.

If you are looking for a low-key, fun-filled vacation, this is the place for you. Yes, it is true about the noise, but it does not ruin your stay and in fact makes you feel like a local which is what we like to do if we are visiting another country. Do not let the negative reviews of the noise/area deter you - we promise everything else will make up for that minor issue.

Room Tip: The corner room on the third floor provided a great view of the sunrise and beach. We enjoyed eating...
1 Thank LisaMacK
Thank you for your review. We're glad that you had a wonderful honeymoon at our resort. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations but we want to exceed them next time and ensure that your next stay is an above 5-star experience.

Happy Travels!
brownwood
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband and I, along with our son, his fiance' and her mother all recently stayed at
the Carlyle for their wedding. Before I review the Carlyle I would like to say a special Thank You to the Carlyle wedding Planner, Soshanna. She spent most of the wedding day taking care of
our son and daughter in law. She changed the location of their wedding, and coordinated
the photographer, video photographer, and the minister. She worked a miracle and
got them moved to a remodeled 3rd floor room the day of their wedding. I wished I could
rate the wedding separate from the hotel, because Soshanna deserves 5 stars.

Now for my review, which I base completely on the hotel itself. We had reserved the
Carlyle Deluxe room, this is the lowest priced room, I was very surprised to be told
at check-in that we had received a room on the 3rd floor. I knew from TripAdvisor that this
was the remodeled floor. We had a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the garden.
The next day our son, his fiance' and her mother arrived. They were not as fortunate as us,
and were given rooms on the first floor. I got to see first-hand the difference between the first floor rooms and the 3rd floor remodeled rooms. The first floor rooms have tired carpeting, older fixtures, and old AC units. The bed, furniture, bedding and pillows looked similar.
I would rate the first floor as a 2 star motel in the states, while the remodeled 3rd floor would
receive a 4 star rating. The 3rd floor rooms were completely remodeled, painted, had new window treatments, and new tub, toilet and sink. These rooms had tile instead of carpet.
You really do get what you pay for in this case. We were fortunate that the hotel
was not full, and we got upgraded to a nicer room. In high season this might not be possible.

The noise from the street was unbelievably loud, with the locals partying all night long. I used
my white noise machine every night, and it helped. The Carlyle is just not in a good
location. I did not give the Carlyle a higher rating because of the poor location of their
property, and the noise level from the street.The Carlyle consistently gets great reviews because of its excellence service,and friendly staff. If you can reserve a remodeled room, ignore or disguise the noise, then you could enjoy staying here.
In fact, they have many return guest who do just that.

Room Tip: Get the remodeled rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. We're delighted that you had a nice stay with us even though a few areas did not meet your expectations. We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities and hopefully when you decide to return, you will be able to notice the difference. I will be sure to share you kind remarks with our staff. They all truly do their best to ensure our guests enjoy their time spent with us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Maywood, New Jersey
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Overall the trip was lovely. The option to visit the other Sandals sites by shuttle gave us a wide variety of options you never have to really go anywhere else. I would suggest taking the Negril for with Dolton it's a nice way to learn about the culture. Richard the entertainment coord will keep you having fun along with Mr. Nibbles and his upgraded burgers and jerk wings will keep you full! Loved it!

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Carlyle. It's great to read that you had such an amazing time with us. We're happy that we were not only able to meet your expectations but exceed them as well.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another fantastic experience
Milton, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We booked into this resort as we knew we could "stay at one & play at 3". As others have stated, the pictures do not show you the "everyday" life of this resort. It is across from a public beach & there are locals congregating from early morning to late in the evening. At the airport we were told we were "upgraded" to the Royal Carribean, so were excited to be on the resort we had chosen to scuba dive with! Unfortunately, the room upgrade was not to my liking, so asked to return to Carlyle after 2 days, as we had been told we would have to return there our last night anyway due to the Royal being full...Mr. Elliott, the General Manager, offered us a butler suite with a butler as our room category had been given to another guest. We were grateful! The room itself was very comfortable, but the bathroom is NOT your typical Club Sandals & especially NOT a butler room bathroom, what had also bothered me at the Royal. I don't consider myself a larger person, but these bathrooms were difficult to move in...The butler suite DIDN'T have a jaccuzzi tub & you had to close the door to be able to get in the shower/tub combo. There are NO double marble sinks, like in many of the Sandals & NO vanity, so only one person could dress at a time...We were acknowledged as a Diamond Guest & taken to our room with champagne on ice & a fruit platter! We do enjoy this service! Our butler, Dennis, gave us an orientation of the small property, 2 restaurants, swimming pool, tennis courts, 1 bar & a very small spa. Our room was 311, in the middle of the U shape property, on the third floor, overlooking the pool & the ocean in the distance (along with all the locals). I did like the size of our patio, but was unable to use it much... I had requested breakfast one morning before we left for diving, so at about 6:30am and was told by our butler that it "would be best to eat at the Royal when we arrived before diving." Steve had had FOOD POISONING at the Regency buffet 2 days prior to that, so we were hesitant about eating there again, but didn't push my request as I had already had enough stress with other issues between the two resorts... The Carlyle states 24 hour room service, so not so sure why breakfast was a bother... We were given a "cell phone" to call our butler, but had a difficult time using it, so had to go thru the front desk at times. Our first morning we were awakened by the telephone at 5:30am by someone looking for Kwashi, who we found out later, was one of the managers on the property...PLEASE dial the correct # so as NOT to wake up your guests "accidently". There is a complimentary shuttle for divers, so there is no problem getting to the dive boat on time, just let someone know the day before! We had dinner at the Carlyle Restaurant twice, once as a couple & once for the Signature guest dinner. The food was good! The restaurant is right above the stage & right next to the bar, so you can enjoy music & entertainment while dining. Mr. Elliott allowed us to bring our long time friend and Sandals employee of 27 years, to dine with us at the Signature Guest dinner & to see us before our departure for breakfast. Seeing our friend was definitely the HIGHLIGHT of this trip! I had told the Soon Come Back representative of my problem with the booking & spa credit & she said she would look into it. The morning of our departure, after VERY POOR service & less than good food at the Bay Window (I was told by our friend that those in white shirts are in training & it sure showed...I had to come back twice to get seated: this is "butler service"??, go & get a coffee pot to refresh our coffee MYSELF, we had a long wait before someone took our order, the potato cakes were still half frozen, no gluten free toast...) I broke down crying.... The week of problems had taken its toll: poor room, food poisoning, poor service, no spa credit, wait staff in training looking like deer in the headlights...I was told by the Soon Come Back representative that we should go & enjoy our 30 minute complimentary massage so I could "relax". We went to the "spa", a guest room that had been turned into a room with 2 massage tables....you definitely want to use the spa at one of the other 2 resorts, there is NO ambiance here!!! I know I was ultra sensitive at this point, but the therapist "dropped" her bottle of oil in between my legs. I felt like I was an inconvenience to her...When we returned to the front desk to check out I was told my spa credit had been granted...I told her our bus was here & we were leaving for the airport...a little too late for a spa credit. She offered spa products in lieu of services. I just wanted to leave & go home... I went to the shuttle crying. Steve checked us out & was given a credit on our bill for the pictures we had purchased.... Mr Elliott was told I was crying & came to the bus to try to comfort me. Again, I just needed to go home...

Room Tip: The rooms in the middle of the U shaped building have the best view. We stayed in 311.
3 Thank Karen B
Cassie C, Review Cordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is disappointing to know that your vacation did not go so well.This is not the experience we strive to offer to our guests. We take your observations and comments very seriously and as a means by which we are able to amend any possible shortcomings in the vacations we offer our guests. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced while vacationing with us.

We hope that you will return for a much better stay in the future. We would love to host you again.
Poole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We love the Carlyle, have just returned from a two week vacation which included our wedding this was our second trip to Jamaica the first being two years ago when we decided this was the place we wanted to get married.
Ok we were a wedding party of 16 a mixture of young and middle aged we were a bit concerned wether everyone would enjoy it....THEY LOVED IT...we have not stopped talking about it since we got back..
The hospitality at the Carlyle is out of this world with the 3 resorts choices in Montego Bay there is absolutely no comparison this hotel has the best staff by a country mile.
I hope I don't forget anyone but let's start with Dane our breakfast buddy 16 people no problem nothing was too much trouble he was the best. Shanetta beautiful shanetta with the gorgeous smile at reception she was so helpful and had a great sense of humour, we dined in the Carlyle a few times and was served by Kimberley a credit to your business she is lovely, Lamar was great on the bar Sophie misses him lots! Richie rich and Andre are both fab at entertaining my sisters were well impressed with them Mr nibbles awesome he loves cooking and does the best jerk chicken in Jamaica, We attended the returning guest dinner WOW Doreen and Chris are fantastic don't ever leave cos we will be back every November to celebrate out wedding anniversary can't wait to become a ten year Sandals select guest....
Winston the bus driver was a dream he made sure we were all on the bus back to the Carlyle it's like being in a family :)
The Carlyle doesn't have a private beach but it doesn't matter it's like going out every day visiting the other resorts which are awesome then you get to go home every night cos that's how it feels.
We see other reviews complaining about the locals and the noise but we all can say we honestly did not hear a thing at night yes some noise during the day at weekends but that just added to our holiday to experience the Jamaican culture they were having fun playing music what better noise
is there than that ?
I think once the Carlyle has finished refurbishing all their rooms you will not get a better Vacation anywhere in the world...
Xxx

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane T
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Carlyle. We're so happy to read that you had such an amazing stay with us. We always strive to go above and beyond to please our guests and I'm glad we were able to meet that goal during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better experience in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
SeaGarden Beach Resort
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#22 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Inn? Share your experiences!