“Great 2nd honeymoon!”

Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Caledon, Canada
“Great 2nd honeymoon!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a too-fast 5 day trip to Sandals Carlyle. We've never stayed right in town like that before, so weren't sure what to expect. Honestly, it was like staying with relatives - in a great way. I feel like I actually know the staff at Sandals - they are so personable and really do bring the 'personalized' service to live. We had access to Royal Caribbean and Montego Bay as well - all 3 combined were some of the best resort food we've had EVER.

The beaches were beautiful, the food was great, the staff were like our friends and family. They kept track of our comings and goings, which made us feel even safer, although we never felt unsafe otherwise. Christopher was fabulous, Doreen was fabulous, everyone was so professional and personable.

The only thing we didn't like was that at Carlyle, there is no 'Sandals' beach - its a public beach across the street, which is okay in itself, but the locals partied until pretty well into the night. You couldn't hear them so much, but the bass pounding from the cars parked just outside the resort. Which sometimes made car alarms go off in the middle of the night or early AM. Your ocean view is of the beautiful water and beach, and also of the street, traffic and people 'tailgating' on the weekend. So for the beach, we went every day to Royal Caribbean and Monetgo Bay - which were of course gorgeous, full service and not overly busy. We had no problems getting chairs, waiters, grass umbrellas no matter what time of day we went. The pizza is from a wood-burning oven. The gnocci melts on your tongue. The Red Stripe is cold and refreshing and you have to try the Thai restaurant on the Sandals private island at Royal Caribbean.

If you're looking for a quick getaway - totally recommend this. By choosing Carlyle, we had all of the same amenities as the other 2 resorts but spent less money. The shuttles ran every 30 minutes all day long and were free of course.

Thanks Sandals Carlyle!! We will return!

2 Thank RightWing2013
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
We're so happy to read that you enjoyed an awesome 2nd honeymoon at Sandals Carlyle. We always strive to offer incredible experiences for our guests no matter how long they stay on property. We are so delighted to read that this vacation met your expectations.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We are recently back from a fantastic holiday with Sandals in Montego Bay.

I will start with a slight negative before I tell you about how amazing our holiday was! Although this hotel has fantastic service and amenities and I would really struggle to find something to complain about - it is not in the same league as the other sandals resorts. The great thing is that they put on a free mini bus between sandals Montego Bay and sandals royal Caribbean so you can visit those resorts as much as you like. The other good thing is that this hotel is much cheaper than staying at the other two Montego Bay resorts so you need to weigh up exactly what you are looking for. Either way, if you choose Sandals Carlyle or one of the other Sandals resorts you will have a fantastic holiday.

The service at Carlyle was excellent, from the moment you arrive until you leave. I have to mention Chef Kevin who went out of his way to cater for my specific dietary requirements, even calling me to see how I was getting on. Kimberley in the restaurant was incredibly friendly and helpful. We enjoyed chatting to her each morning at breakfast. Richie Rich was always on hand to make sure we were having a good time.

The food at Carlyle was of a very high standard, but we did spend a lot of out time eating at the other resorts. Making reservations at the other hotels is easy enough at Carlyle reception but even if you do not have a reservation it can be worth trying your luck as you can sometimes still get in. We spent most of our time at Sandals Montego Bay, but all the resorts have equally high standard food, staff and beautiful locations. We definitely preferred the beach at Montego Bay (note the sandals Carlyle beach is public and quite small).

We are getting married next year and we wish we had booked this holiday as our honeymoon. We loved everything about it and we are already trying to figure out when we can arrange our next trip!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review! We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed our delicious food, friendly staff and the exciting amenities of our resorts. We always want our guests to feel completely satisfied with their choice to vacation with us and it's great that your stay was an amazing experience.

We can't wait for your return!
London
Reviewed November 24, 2013

First things first. The staff who work the bars and restaurants at this hotel are amazing. To an individual they do their best to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. So nothing that follows is to do with their conduct, which is generally good to very good.
However this hotel is not up to brand standard. Everything about it is well below what you would expect from a Sandals resort. There is no private beach, a tiny swimming pool, one restaurant (intermittently open), one snack bar and the standard breakfast/restaurant room. So if you choose to come here you will experience Sandals redux (having said this the gym is well equipped, albeit on the small side).

The rooms themselves are OK. However the bathrooms are dated and in need of a major refresh. Fittings are mid 70s, if that. It kind of flies in the face of the 'luxury included' mantra. It's more like 'slightly dated, 1970's theme, included'

Lots of people have also mentioned the location. The key problem is the noise from the street. There is nothing between the rooms and the main road so the place is noisy most of the time. From about 6.30am through to 10.30pm there is a constant stream of noise including car reversing alarms, cars with blaring music and in the small hours, cars using the road as a drag strip. Not conducive to a good nights sleep. The poolside entertainment also starts up at 09.00 so you can't have a lie in beyond this time, on vacation it's sometimes nice to have that option but the noise nullifies it.

The saving grace is the shuttle bus service to the two connected Sandals resorts. This means you can take advantage of the other hotels facilities and then come back to the Carlyle after you have finished glimpsing the real Sandals experience.

Oh, and in the 21st century I would expect luxury to include free wifi.

So, despite the lovely staff, we wouldn't come back. Luxury here is a chimera, glimpsed through the windows of the shuttle bus.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another Sandals resort.
3 Thank LondonDavidS
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations.

We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Happy Travels!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just arrived home yesterday and I would like to thank Mr. Elliott and his entire staff for a great vacation. When I arrived I wasn't feeling well and I greatly appreciated the care/attention to get checked in and to my room quickly. The food and service was outstanding all week. Although, we often utilized the other resorts - we looked forward to returning to the Carlyle. Looking forward to our next trip back in April 2014 - see you for Reunion week. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We're thrilled to know that we were able to impress you during your stay at Sandals Carlyle. We love to hear excellent feedback and your comments will be shared with our management team.

We hope to welcome you back soon!
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have just returned home from a two weeks holiday staying in the Carlyle Inn.
Initially on arrival, we were given a front sea view room on the second floor and were a little concerned due to previous reviews stating how noisy it could be. We needn't have worried there was only one night at 4pm when a rogue car drew up making some noise, otherwise it was beautiful watching the local families enjoying their time spent on the beach and the view of the sea is beautiful.
We have travelled to various islands in the Caribbean but have got to say that Jamaica is definitely our favourite so far. The people are so funny and friendly and so proud of their island and so they should be, its beautiful.

We would like to thank ALL the staff at the Carlyle for making the holiday so special, don't want to name just in case we forgot somebody, all staff are excellent, please keep Dane on, as he is a great asset to the hotel.
We loved the food and drinks at all the three resorts.

It was great to see management out and about and always happy to chat to guests, they would support staff if needed, management in the UK could learn a thing or two from them, we feel this is one of the reasons why the Carlyle is so successful.

We met some lovely people whilst their.

We cannot wait to return to this special hotel in the near future.

Thank you very much to everyone at the Carlyle.

Lynda and Les

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Carlyle. We're thrilled to hear that you had such an amazing stay with us. We always strive to offer the best vacations to our guests and it's great that we were able to exceed your expectations!

Come back and visit again soon!
Inuvik, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Our stay at Sandals Carlyle started the moment I booked my trip with my Personal Travel Agent of many years, Ruth Demuth. She looks after all our travel needs along with the travel needs of other family member's. She is to be complimented on her great service. Thanks Ruth for the lovely fruit plate, it is always nice to feel special.

Thanks to Ruth the Club Mobay Rep was waiting for me as soon I crossed the arrivals ramp. I was greeted, escorted through Customs ect. in a matter of minutes. I arrived alone since my husband was arriving the next day. I felt like I was in good hands. Club Mobay lounge was a blessing since the Sandals Lounge was closed due to renovations. Club Mobay handed me over to a Private Driver arranged by Sandals and we drove off to paradise.
I was Sorry not to see many of the old faces especially Lisa, Cheryl and Denisha, I was greeted by staff, checked in and then graciously escorted too my room by my butler Dennis, a very nice guy, I was not crazy about the room so after a few minutes they found me a room on the second floor over the restaurant, just what I wanted, at last I had arrived at my Jamaican home away from home. My husband arrived the next day as Scheduled and everything was as it should be.
With all the beach options available we chose to spend most of our time on SRC private island, amazing as always, We had different meals at all three resorts. Our favorite and not to be missed is SRC Le Jardinieres.
We did spend a fair amount of time at the Carlyle sitting on our patio watching and listening to all the fun on the beach and around the pool. The Returning Guest Dinner was lovely as always. It was nice to see the other guest receiving loyalty rewards, one young couple from the states received their Silver Sandals, she was so excited she started to cry, it was fun to see someone that happy about being part of the Sandals Family.
Our butler Dennis arranged for a beautiful flower arrangement to be delivered, easy to order but not always easy to receive, thanks Dennis, our other butler Anthony went above and beyond to create a lovely romantic evening for myself and my husband on our last night. Decorated room, 5 course, white glove dinning, on the patio overlooking the Caribbean Sea and pool. Thanks guys .

We meant other couples from all over the world, Newcastle in the UK, the north, south, eastern and western Sates of the US along with a few other Canadians. A big hello to everyone we meant.

Thanks to Doreen, Kaveen and all the other staff members. Thanks Doreen for the going away present, it was verrry nice.

Love the Carlyle.

Room Tip: This is not a resort but the best Bed and Breakfast on the planet, with easy excess too two of the m...
1 Thank Carolyn D
Thank you so much for your great review of Sandals Carlyle. We're delighted to read that your stay was another amazing and relaxing experience in paradise. It's good to see that you were able to fully enjoy our wonderful included amenities as well as our beautiful property.

We can't wait to welcome you back soon.
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just arrived home from an 8 night stay at the Carlyle. Please read full review: Upon arrival, you definitely feel disappointed in your choice of holiday. There is no grand driveway - you pull up on the street and there's the entrance. There is the ocean across the street from the property, but there is no room to bring a chair. The local people use the ocean here and you would feel like you were intruding. The colors of the ocean are beautiful and you do get a view from several of the rooms. As in other reviews, the music is loud, but once in your room it's hardly noticeable. The pool is small and it's not very tropical. The chairs at the pool are the plastic with blue - not the big wooden ones shown in the brochure. The rooms, even the penthouse suites, are on the smaller side with no sitting area to speak of. The bathrooms are also on the small side and not very elaborate. Now for the good stuff: There is a tremendous amount of good about this hotel though. The service is impeccable. Chris Elliott is the manager and after meeting him at the managers cocktail hour, you see why there are so many repeat guests at the Carlyle. He is soft spoken and warm. He is keen to please his guests and will try to help you in whatever way he can. He is very approachable and always on property. His team of employees are truly amazing. Anthony and Dennis were our butlers. Anthony is a young man who is mature way beyond his years. As he mentined, on the first day he was our butler, but on the seond day he became part of our family! He is truly someone who is of great asset to the Sandals name brand. He is diligent, friendly and cannot do enough for you. He served us dinner on the balcony, attended to our mid day snack, assisted with all of our dinner reservations, advised us on tours, and basically turned our stay into something fabulous! Anthony - we miss you so much already. Dennis was our day time butler and he was great as well. He stocked our minibar - secured us a liquor that wasn't available on property, and tended to our day time needs. Zedrine was our housekeeper and she was wonderful. She catered to our daily room needs and freshened the room to our liking. It was spotless clean every day with toiletries stocked as we needed them. She was always smiling and so friendly and pleasant. She works extremely hard, but truly enjoys it. The restaurant for breakfast - The Bayside - serves a sit down, ala carte meal. It is served fresh, hot and delicious. You have a choice of Steak & Eggs, to waffles, french toast, egg benedict, etc. There is also a small buffet inside with pastries, fruit and such. We had breakfast each morning either on our balcony or at the restaurant. The chef is to be commended and you can make requests within reason. The service is slow at times, but they try their best. We used the shuttle each day to go to the Sandals Royal Caribbean where we went to the beach each day. Carlyle schedules a shuttle to Sandals two other properties and it runs 1 per hour most of the day. We also used this shuttle to go to the other restuarants at MOBAY and Royal. We did go to the welcome back dinner at the Carlyle. This was very elegant and had several returning guests in attendance. The food was amazing. Pumpkin soup, lobstail tail and lamb chop! The Bay side restaurant for dinner was the best out of all the other property dining venues including MOBAYS and Royals. Kimberly was our waitress and she was the best. We ordered a lot of food and dined with another couple; but she kept smiling and bringing out the food. They served Mussels in a Vodka sauce, potstickers, coconut shrimp, seared scallop and ceasar salad. These were a few of the appetizers we tried. We also had their clam sauce over linguini, pork chop and rack of lamb. The seasonings, temperature and quality of the food was perfect. The Carlyle is typical of a bed and breakfast. Not huge, but very elegant and homey. Doreen Allen is another manager at the Carlyle. She is so sweet and will assist with requests as well. I sat next to her at the welcome back dinner and by the end of the night I felt as if we were lifelong friends. Their white night buffet is also an event not to miss. The food was delisious - w/jerk chicken, macaroni and cheese. crab claws and leg of lamb to mention a few of the choices. If you are looking for an affordable vacation, with the Sandals Brand in a subtle environment, please don't hesitate to book the Carlyle. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this resort. Please email me with any questions - deborah.christine@barclays.com
Thank you Chris for running a top rated resort. Hope to see you next year! Kind regards, Debbie and Paul from New York :)

Room Tip: The Penthouse Suite was butler and oceanview. We enjoyed the butler amenity that came with this roo...
2 Thank HappyTraveler1213
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Debbie, thank you so much for your wonderful review of our resort. We always strive to uphold the highest standards of service and I'm thrilled to read that your stay was indicative of the norm. Chris and his team work very hard to offer exceptional stays to our guests. They will all be so happy to hear your comments. We look forward to your next visit in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
SeaGarden Beach Resort
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#22 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Inn? Share your experiences!