“Nice, especially stay at one play at three”
Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Roanoke, Virginia
“Nice, especially stay at one play at three”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the CI for an anniversary. It was great, but it is loud and the area is pretty noisy, I made the decision to stay at the nicest room in the cheapest resort but probably should have made the decision to stay in a lesser room at one of the other resorts. The public beach, which is just across from the resort, was very noisy all the time, but having been plied with liquor all day long, I managed to sleep just fine. I love the pianist.

We grabbed the bus and spent most of our day at the other resorts. Watersports were very good. We enjoyed taking a book and going out to veg out with a book and a drink on the private island. We once wandered to the other side of the island...warning...it's a nude beach...warning 2...none of the cute newlyweds go to the nude beach...it's mostly 50 year old German dudes.

Food was ok, but we loved the freedom to go from one resort to the other. Liquor was good. Staff was great. No hard sell on anything. Very secure. Would definitely go again tomorrow. Have been to a couple of AIs since and none have really measured up. Next year is our 30th...although Sandals is more expensive, it is completely worth it. Do pay the difference for one of the rooms at one of the nicer properties though, but don't miss the Carlyle. The dinners are very intimate and enjoyable and I really enjoyed the pianist.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BBCard1
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review of Sandals Carlyle. We're thrilled to read that you had such an amazing vacation with us. You enjoyed Carlyle but also got the chance to visit and enjoy our other wonderful resorts in Montego Bay. We strive to offer great experiences for every guest and variety plays a big role in this.

We can't wait for your return. We would love to celebrate your next anniversary with you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Where to begin this review. Let me start by saying this was the best birthday EVER. My mother decided to take me to Jamaica for my 26th birthday and before we went I read the reviews and was a little worried this resort would be run-down, boy was I WRONG. No, this place was not glitzy (Like Montego Bay and Royale) but it was just what I needed. We upgraded our room to a balcony (HIGHLY RECOMMEND). It was very clean, comfortable and warming. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted with warm hugs from Doreen the front office manager and a warm smile from the GM Christopher followed by two glasses of rum punch. From day one, we were made to feel so very special. By the middle of day 2, approximately 80% of the staff called us by our names and made me feel at home. To me though, the staff is what made it this trip. Many staff deserves special recognition. Truth be told, the other two resorts offer better water sports such as snorkeling, glass bottom boat, scuba diving and a larger variety of dinner options; but, I found that Carlyle offered the best service and the best options for breakfast and lunch and the other two are nothing but a quick FREE shuttle ride away.

Oh the amazing food this great island has to offer was shown at the Carlyle. The amazing chef at Bay Window Rasta made the best pancakes I have EVER had in my life, I came home and woke up and almost dropped a tear realizing I was back to reality and had to cook for myself. My favorite waiter Darwin is the most professional guy ever and made sure the staff was in line and polite at all times. Chef Fritzboy and Chef Awesome (as he called himself) at The Carlyle made the best Escargo I had ever had in my life, this was by far one of the best dishes I had the entire trip. Last but of course not least and the highly recommended Mr. Nibbles aka Chef Kayon at Nibbles grill (My mother could not get enough of his Jerk chicken) and he even grilled up bread fruit and let me drink fresh coconut water. He went the extra mile to make sure I had true Jamaican cuisine. He is the type of chef you would love to have in the US, he interacted with everyone and always had a crowd around in line waiting for his delicacies. .

The bartenders really made my day more than once. Oreco, wow, this man is talented. He was the only one who could make me a drink close to an AMF and all of his drinks were great and he was a wiz at coming up with new drinks, He needs to be in a high end bar in the US. I also must say Tee Jay and Lamar were great at making a drink up on a whim. My favorite bartender had to be Jordan. He made the best Jamaican Smiles and kept a great smile on his face the entire time as well and made me shots of gloriousness.

The front Desk staff, all of those ladies were beyond amazing Soshanna especially made my day EVERY DAY. From making sure she said happy birthday on my birthday to making sure we had everything we needed to suggesting places to go, to just stopping in the morning to say hello to us. She was professional and nice. Even the butler Jevan (even though we did not opt for the butler service) greeted us daily saying Good morning Twins (since my mother and I look so much alike). Even though this was something small it stood out.

Now they say everyone on the earth has a twin and I think I found my twin in the entertainment coordinator Andre. He made my day so special. The night of my birthday he had everyone around sing happy birthday and I had a special cake made and delivered to the room. He also asked my favorite songs and played those that day. He asked daily if we needed anything and if we were going to venture out on the town he let us know where to go and where not to go. He and Martinni are a dynamic duo. They are full of energy and excitement and every activity was so much fun down to the dance classes they had and how they livened the crowd up. There was NEVER a dull moment.

One of the most amazing things about staying at sandals is you can stay at one and play at all of them. I would suggest dinners at the other two (especially Cucina Romano and the restaurant on the island at Royale) were beyond exquisite cuisine. The down side to me at these two other resorts ( Montego bay and Royale) was the fact the staff didn’t acknowledge you and it seemed they only knew the names and attempted to say hello to those in the pent house, the high rollers. I didn’t feel that family love that I felt at Carlyle. Overall this will be a vacation I will never forget and am greatly appreciative to the staff oh and PS (DO NOT be swindled by the high priced cab drivers, take a red label taxi ONLY, you will save so much money). Make sure you check out Margarittaville, super fun and mixed age crowd. Next door is Blue Beat and that’s an older more laid back beautiful lounge.

Oh and one more thing, if you cant walk the stairs request a 1st floor room because they do not have a elevator but we didn’t mind burning off those few extra calories, plus the second and third floors have balconies as well. I also noticed that the people who stayed at the Carlyle all seemed so friendly. We even went scuba diving with a judge from the East coast. I plan to go back again and when I do I know for a fact that I MUST, stay here.

THANK YOU ALL.

Janvier (coco) and Felicia Hall

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Janvier Coco H
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
We're so thrilled to read of your wonderful visit and birthday at Sandals Carlyle. It sounds like your entire stay was such an incredible experience. I will be sure to forward your review to our staff on resort. They will be so happy to hear of your kind mention. Thank you for your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Carlyle the first week of April 2013 and had an absolutely amazing time. The resort is very small, but that plays to its advantage because their staff is so pleasant and friendly. We stayed in a third floor ocean view butler room and were very pleased. We did not use the small public beach across the street, but enjoyed watching the locals from our balcony.

Our butler, Daneesha, was an absolute darling. She took care of every detail from dinner reservations to ironing my husband's shirt with grace and a smile. The days we lounged at the pool she appeared with a cooler of ice water for us.

We enjoyed being able to catch the shuttle to visit the beach and restaurants at the Montego Bay and Royal Carribean. They are both beautiful resorts, much larger and have a lot to offer, but we were always glad to come back to the intimacy of the Carlyle.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gigimomma
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Carlyle. We're delighted to read that you had such an awesome time at our resort. I'm so happy that we succeeded in creating that luxury romantic experience for you.

We look forward to your return for an even better stay in the near future.
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed August 3, 2013

7/27/2013 - 8/2/2013 We are definitely seasoned travelers.... over 10 countries and about 40 states. We have been to many many all-inclusive resorts as well as all of the Sandals - some of them more than once. We have been to JA over 30 times. However, though this was our first stay at the Carlyle it will not be our last. The charm and hospitality is exceptional. Yes, it is an older property but many of the rooms are upgraded and very very nice. The views from most rooms are of the public beach and the pool area which is quite nice. It's small, that's no secret ..... we had already planned that we would be leaving the property everyday to utilize the amenities at the other two Sandals (MoBay and Royal). We enjoy being in town occassionally- it was nice to be able to walk to the shops on the hip strip and the little grocery stores. Though we did not actually use the public beach across the street we have been to many public beaches before so for us that isn't an issue. The beach is very nice - clean bottom (no grass) and water is crystal clear. I did however chase the ice cream man (ice cream motorcycle) down the street one day for a treat.not that I need to, plenty of treats at Carlyle but I am a pretty interactive traveler... lol .. we watched the peanut man cooking and selling his peanuts at the public beach and listened to his push cart whistling as he walked by. *****Now really about the property: Staff = exceptional Property = small and older but definitely taken care of (yes the rooms that are not remodeled completely do need attention - especially the bathrooms, but I am sure this is in the works). Food = good/very good- No problems there. Bar Service = Good to very good and the guys at the bar are hysterical and so friendly. Snacks available all the time. Can't say too much about entertainment as we were on other sites each evening. Hotel is clean - pool and pool area very clean; our room was very clean and the housekeeping staff did a good job. Our frig was always well stocked. We did not have a Butler (for us that is wasteful as we were off property everyday). All rooms have room serive - though we never used it this trip - we are more go go go go all the time. There were way too many restuarnats with the 3 resorts in the play at 3 to eat in our room or on the balcony. Our room was on the third floor overlooking the pool and looking towards the beach. There was quite a bit of noise from time to time from across the street - car alarms etc like the other posting say but to be honest it really never bothered us at all. We will stay here again- the noise would not even be thought about when making our decision. We saved about $750 compared to the MoBay and Royal posted prices when we booked for our 6 night stay. We plan to stay at the Carlyle Inn again without hesitation and are already talking staying here again in January / February on our return trip. We met the GM, the Hotel Manager and many others while on site - it is definitely hands on with Sandals. PS Thanks Kaveen for your help and I hope the school trip is when we are there next time.

What could be done to make things a little better for guests:
1) have the shuttle start earlier - waiting until 9:30 is a little late to get going (*please note you can get a taxi though earlier - $10 per couple to Mobay and $12 per couple to Royal - we did this a few mornings to get an earlier start and had breakfast at Royal at 7:30). It gave us several more hours of things to do - some of the snorkel trips and diving times are early
2) put an elevator in - I think you would be able to service more individuals with disabilities and or age factor problems as your regular clients "age" - the third floor rooms (and really even the 2nd floor) are tough for some people to have access to up/down up/down etc.
3) put a few hooks in the bathroom for hanging things like travel bags / make up bags etc
4) SANDALS IN GENERAL: see if you can arrange to have returning guests pick up their Rum after cleaning customs/security at the MoBay airport. We only had two carry ons so we gave our returning guests bottle of Rum we got at the dinner to another couple who were first time Sandals customers and had check on bags
5) SANDALS IN GENERAL: though we LOVE the bigger bottles of lotion / shampoo / aloe etc... they are too big for security. think about making them the 3 oz size which would still fit in the great little sandals bags everyone gets in their rooms - but for someone like us who travel with carry ons most of the time we couldn't take our stuff home with us - I tried but they took it.

*****Thank you Sandals for always doing such a great job. Thank you Carlyle for taking good care of us. We will be back !!!! Great value, great trip! *******

PS If you are thinking about going - DO IT !!!! and take some school supplies with you - try to take a trip to the schools with Sandals if they have one while you are there - and even if they don't they will accumulate the donations and take them when they go the next time. Crayons, markers, reading books, coloring books, pencils, pens, all that type of stuff.

Room Tip: We had a third floor room - quite nice - modern and updated. View was good. Not sure if all the 2n...
3 Thank CoolRunningsMom
HIGH POINT NC
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Did another property inspection.. Sandals Carlyle Inn. This property is located in Montego Bay with a B and B feel. You can stay at 1 and play at 3... Limited on restaurants, bars, has room service.. small pool, beach is "Public" across the street...free shuttle to the other 2 properties.. It allows you to go to Sandals Montego Bay or Sandals Royal Caribbean you can eat, use the beaches, activities. Don't expect it to be like the other Sandals....not a match for all couples... Staff gets to know everyone...

Room Tip: They have standard rooms and butler rooms....
1 Thank NCPREFERREDAGENT
Lake City, South Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I decided to honeymoon at the Carlyle Inn and we are so glad we did! While we played a few days at the other resorts, we enjoyed Carlyle the best. It is very clean and our butler, Dennis, made our stay so special! The Carlyle Inn may be small but we found plenty of fun things to do while here. Also, Margaritaville is just a short walk down the road. We were always treated wonderful by all the staff at Carlyle...I can't say the same for the other resorts. Thank you Sandals-Carlyle for a fantastic time! We will see you again!! (:

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the 3rd floor in the middle very much. Make sure you get a butler!!
1 Thank ilovemykids27
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was our second stay in a Sandals Resort. The Hotel was not what we had expected after staying at the Whitehouse Resort. It is pretty run down and in need of a lot of repair and updating.
Our room was fairly clean but needed updating. The photos looked better than what we found when we arrived. We had plumbing issues while we were there but the maintenance people took care of it quickly. This is a good place to stay if you are young or can't afford to spend more for a better place. The public beach is right across the street from the hotel and very small and noisy.They do not have a shortage of drug dealers at the beach. We thought we would take a stroll on the beach and we were bombarded by drug dealers and other people selling their wares. If you stay at the Carlyle you do have access to the other two Sandals Resorts not far away. They have great food and activities. The Carlyle has no night life to speak of and everyone goes somewhere else to have fun. The staff was very friendly and the food was pretty good. I did find fault with one of the bartenders. He came in drunk or hungover everyday that we were there and didn't have a problem letting us know. He also drank on the job! When he was working you had to ask repeatedly for a drink.
We had a nice time but I won't say it was the best and I would ever go back.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We always want to make sure your stay is as wonderful as it can be. Therefore, we are so sorry that this was not the case during your stay. I have sent you a message requesting more information about your stay. Your concerns will be brought to the attention of the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action.

Thank you for your feedback.

We hope that you will afford us a chance to showcase the amazing experiences for which we are known during a future stay.