“Seasoned Sandals traveler and over 30X's to Jamaica.... enjoyed 1st time to Carlyle”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sandals Inn

Sandals Inn
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed August 3, 2013

7/27/2013 - 8/2/2013 We are definitely seasoned travelers.... over 10 countries and about 40 states. We have been to many many all-inclusive resorts as well as all of the Sandals - some of them more than once. We have been to JA over 30 times. However, though this was our first stay at the Carlyle it will not be our last. The charm and hospitality is exceptional. Yes, it is an older property but many of the rooms are upgraded and very very nice. The views from most rooms are of the public beach and the pool area which is quite nice. It's small, that's no secret ..... we had already planned that we would be leaving the property everyday to utilize the amenities at the other two Sandals (MoBay and Royal). We enjoy being in town occassionally- it was nice to be able to walk to the shops on the hip strip and the little grocery stores. Though we did not actually use the public beach across the street we have been to many public beaches before so for us that isn't an issue. The beach is very nice - clean bottom (no grass) and water is crystal clear. I did however chase the ice cream man (ice cream motorcycle) down the street one day for a treat.not that I need to, plenty of treats at Carlyle but I am a pretty interactive traveler... lol .. we watched the peanut man cooking and selling his peanuts at the public beach and listened to his push cart whistling as he walked by. *****Now really about the property: Staff = exceptional Property = small and older but definitely taken care of (yes the rooms that are not remodeled completely do need attention - especially the bathrooms, but I am sure this is in the works). Food = good/very good- No problems there. Bar Service = Good to very good and the guys at the bar are hysterical and so friendly. Snacks available all the time. Can't say too much about entertainment as we were on other sites each evening. Hotel is clean - pool and pool area very clean; our room was very clean and the housekeeping staff did a good job. Our frig was always well stocked. We did not have a Butler (for us that is wasteful as we were off property everyday). All rooms have room serive - though we never used it this trip - we are more go go go go all the time. There were way too many restuarnats with the 3 resorts in the play at 3 to eat in our room or on the balcony. Our room was on the third floor overlooking the pool and looking towards the beach. There was quite a bit of noise from time to time from across the street - car alarms etc like the other posting say but to be honest it really never bothered us at all. We will stay here again- the noise would not even be thought about when making our decision. We saved about $750 compared to the MoBay and Royal posted prices when we booked for our 6 night stay. We plan to stay at the Carlyle Inn again without hesitation and are already talking staying here again in January / February on our return trip. We met the GM, the Hotel Manager and many others while on site - it is definitely hands on with Sandals. PS Thanks Kaveen for your help and I hope the school trip is when we are there next time.

What could be done to make things a little better for guests:
1) have the shuttle start earlier - waiting until 9:30 is a little late to get going (*please note you can get a taxi though earlier - $10 per couple to Mobay and $12 per couple to Royal - we did this a few mornings to get an earlier start and had breakfast at Royal at 7:30). It gave us several more hours of things to do - some of the snorkel trips and diving times are early
2) put an elevator in - I think you would be able to service more individuals with disabilities and or age factor problems as your regular clients "age" - the third floor rooms (and really even the 2nd floor) are tough for some people to have access to up/down up/down etc.
3) put a few hooks in the bathroom for hanging things like travel bags / make up bags etc
4) SANDALS IN GENERAL: see if you can arrange to have returning guests pick up their Rum after cleaning customs/security at the MoBay airport. We only had two carry ons so we gave our returning guests bottle of Rum we got at the dinner to another couple who were first time Sandals customers and had check on bags
5) SANDALS IN GENERAL: though we LOVE the bigger bottles of lotion / shampoo / aloe etc... they are too big for security. think about making them the 3 oz size which would still fit in the great little sandals bags everyone gets in their rooms - but for someone like us who travel with carry ons most of the time we couldn't take our stuff home with us - I tried but they took it.

*****Thank you Sandals for always doing such a great job. Thank you Carlyle for taking good care of us. We will be back !!!! Great value, great trip! *******

PS If you are thinking about going - DO IT !!!! and take some school supplies with you - try to take a trip to the schools with Sandals if they have one while you are there - and even if they don't they will accumulate the donations and take them when they go the next time. Crayons, markers, reading books, coloring books, pencils, pens, all that type of stuff.

Room Tip: We had a third floor room - quite nice - modern and updated. View was good. Not sure if all the 2n...
3 Thank CoolRunningsMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
HIGH POINT NC
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Did another property inspection.. Sandals Carlyle Inn. This property is located in Montego Bay with a B and B feel. You can stay at 1 and play at 3... Limited on restaurants, bars, has room service.. small pool, beach is "Public" across the street...free shuttle to the other 2 properties.. It allows you to go to Sandals Montego Bay or Sandals Royal Caribbean you can eat, use the beaches, activities. Don't expect it to be like the other Sandals....not a match for all couples... Staff gets to know everyone...

Room Tip: They have standard rooms and butler rooms....
1 Thank NCPREFERREDAGENT
Lake City, South Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I decided to honeymoon at the Carlyle Inn and we are so glad we did! While we played a few days at the other resorts, we enjoyed Carlyle the best. It is very clean and our butler, Dennis, made our stay so special! The Carlyle Inn may be small but we found plenty of fun things to do while here. Also, Margaritaville is just a short walk down the road. We were always treated wonderful by all the staff at Carlyle...I can't say the same for the other resorts. Thank you Sandals-Carlyle for a fantastic time! We will see you again!! (:

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the 3rd floor in the middle very much. Make sure you get a butler!!
1 Thank ilovemykids27
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was our second stay in a Sandals Resort. The Hotel was not what we had expected after staying at the Whitehouse Resort. It is pretty run down and in need of a lot of repair and updating.
Our room was fairly clean but needed updating. The photos looked better than what we found when we arrived. We had plumbing issues while we were there but the maintenance people took care of it quickly. This is a good place to stay if you are young or can't afford to spend more for a better place. The public beach is right across the street from the hotel and very small and noisy.They do not have a shortage of drug dealers at the beach. We thought we would take a stroll on the beach and we were bombarded by drug dealers and other people selling their wares. If you stay at the Carlyle you do have access to the other two Sandals Resorts not far away. They have great food and activities. The Carlyle has no night life to speak of and everyone goes somewhere else to have fun. The staff was very friendly and the food was pretty good. I did find fault with one of the bartenders. He came in drunk or hungover everyday that we were there and didn't have a problem letting us know. He also drank on the job! When he was working you had to ask repeatedly for a drink.
We had a nice time but I won't say it was the best and I would ever go back.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We always want to make sure your stay is as wonderful as it can be. Therefore, we are so sorry that this was not the case during your stay. I have sent you a message requesting more information about your stay. Your concerns will be brought to the attention of the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action.

Thank you for your feedback.

We hope that you will afford us a chance to showcase the amazing experiences for which we are known during a future stay.
Jamestown, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I booked a stay as the Carlyle Inn for our honeymoon and I must say I was incredibly disappointed when we arrived on property. Let us say that Sandals must have used some creative photography when taking the photos for their website. First of all everything is dirty, dingy, and run down looking with the exception of our room. The room itself was up to par however, this resort failed us on many levels.
It appears as if the hotel has a conveniently located (albeit small) private beach,... IT IS NOT A PRIVATE BEACH! Upon arrival I stated to my husband within earshot of an employee that I wanted to go and see the beach. This employee offered to escort us over which surprised me, until I saw it! First we had to cross a VERY busy, very NOISY main road to get to it and then we were harassed by locals trying to sell us drugs and after a measly 5 minutes of telling these people repeatedly, "No, thank you. We are just trying to relax, we want to be left alone." We gave up and left. Never to return. I mean, a hotel employee feared for our safety on the resort's beach! Ridiculous.
Next, we were escorted to our room which as I said was up to snuff, for a standard hotel room. But let's discuss the term "Oceanview Penthouse." Sure, we had a small view of the ocean and the very same BUSY, NOISY street I already discussed, we also had a fantastic view of the plethora of power lines and the construction site across the road which almost eclipsed our entire view of the beach and the bathing locals who pull up at 6AM with their club music blaring out of their car windows. By the way, the music remains playing at an unbearable volume for the duration of their stay. Yay!
On the first evening of our stay I laid down for a few minutes as I was exhausted from traveling and woke to the most excruciating, ear-splitting “whistle”. When I asked my husband what it was he informed me it was a vendor selling steamed nuts and he had been sitting out in front of the hotel for about an hour. My husband had already been down to the front desk TWICE to ask them if there is anything they can do about asking him to move down the road. It took a third request from the two of us in-person and Security finally did get him to move, for a while. He was back by the time we were ready for dinner. Great.
On our first morning, we got up first thing partially due to the "symphony" going on across the street at the beach and partially due to our desire to GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE! We decided to have breakfast and then hop on the first shuttle over to the Montego Bay Resort. Breakfast was an experience.... We were quickly seated with menus and then we were apparently just as quickly forgotten. We had to flag down a waiter to take our order and then it took AGES to receive our food. It probably wouldn't have seemed as long if it weren't for the "Island Routes" tour lady yelling over the loud-speaker at the pool trying to get people to sign up for tours, (I would have been LIVID had I been still trying to sleep when she started that noise) and the ringing phone. This phone, I kid you not, rang for a solid half hour. I actually flagged down a waiter and begged him to answer it or I was going to.
After our sub-par breakfast that was cold probably because none of the waiters could be bothered to bring it to us we RAN to the bus to take us to MoBay! What a difference! We enjoyed the day at Sandals MoBay immensely! So much that we immediately arranged for a transfer. The remainder of our vacation was relaxing, enjoyable, quiet, and FLAWLESS! It could have been an absolute nightmare trip, but thanks to the wonderful, amazing, accommodating staff at Sandals Montego Bay and Royal Caribbean it was saved and the first 24 hours were long forgotten by the end of our trip. We will absolutely recommend either Sandals RC or MB to anyone!!!
There were several other incidents involving the Carlyle believe it or not, including the disappearance of all of our dinner reservations. Hands down if you are looking to stay at a Sandals in this area Montego Bay and Royal Caribbean are the ONLY choice. The Sandals brand should do itself a favor and get rid of the Carlyle. They should be ashamed to have their name on this property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MrsG1903
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We regret to hear that we did not meet quite your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our accommodations. However, we are respectful of the opinions you have expressed and recognize that one person’s specific experience can only be judged by that individual. Since we are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities, I will be sure to send your feedback to the General Manager and relevant departments.

On a good note, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time spent between both of our other two resorts in Montego Bay. It's great to know that we were able to make the best of the remainder of your stay, even if it wasn't spent at Carlyle.

Thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back one day and showcase our commitment to customer satisfaction for which our entire brand is known.
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just back from a quick 5 day stay to Sandals Carlyle. We are very seasoned Sandals travelers but this was our first to Carlyle. From the moment we stepped off the free airport transfer into the hotel drinks were placed in our hand, a cool cloth was presented and all the staff came by to greet us including our butlers and the hotel manager. We were given a brief orientation of the cozy property and then escorted to our rooms. All of our reservations for dinners were promptly made, the bar was stocked to our request and then told to RELAX and ENJOY. If you want a small cozy all-inclusive that is in the heart of authentic Jamaica local culture this is for you. If you want the ultra resorts both Sandals Flagship and Royal Carribean are a quick 10 minute shuttle away. The staff is superb. Many went out of their way to learn our preferences on drinks and food and these were often presented to us without even asking. You simply never pass a staff memeber without a pleasant greeting. If you go, ask for Christopher (The GM) and the new chef at the Nibbles Grill (call him Mr. Nibbles and he will smile). All three Butlers will ensure every request is taken care of. For a nice economical trip to a 5 star all-inclusive you can't go wrong with Sandals Carlyle and their lovely quaint hotel and superb staff! The Hall's

Room Tip: I would suggest to select a garden view to avoid the local noise
3 Thank halldw
Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We decided to book the Carlyle to celebrate our recent 30th wedding anniversary. We are delighted that we did! The hotel has a unique atmosphere: very friendly, delightfully quirky, with lots of traditional furnishings & lovely food.

We read several comments about the noisy location, but, for us, this is part of the hotel's charm. We walked around the neighbourhood, up to the shopping strip, and found the local people friendly and welcoming.

We had a spacious and comfortable room on the 3rd floor. The room looked out across the adjacent tennis club and was quiet.

We loved the opportunity to travel to the other 2 Montego Bay properties, which lacked the charm of the Carlyle, but had superb facilities and a range of excellent restaurants. We loved the beautifully warm sea, the gorgeous pools and especially enjoyed the sailing at the Royal Caribbean resort. Thanks to Stefan's and Jermaine' excellent instruction, we were able to sail independently after just 2 lessons each.

There were so many members of staff whom we'd like to thank at the Carlye: Chris and Lisa, the general managers, are attentive and friendly and the restaurant waiting staff & the bar staff always work hard to ensure that your holiday is a pleasurable experience.

We would definitely return and we recommend the hotel enthusiastically!

2 Thank Andrew C
Sounds like you truly had a fabulous trip to Sandals Carlyle. We always love to hear of the amazing, memorable experiences that our guests have with us. We pride ourselves on the excellent customer service of our friendly staff and they will all be so glad to hear of your kind mention.

Thank you for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future.