7/27/2013 - 8/2/2013 We are definitely seasoned travelers.... over 10 countries and about 40 states. We have been to many many all-inclusive resorts as well as all of the Sandals - some of them more than once. We have been to JA over 30 times. However, though this was our first stay at the Carlyle it will not be our last. The charm and hospitality is exceptional. Yes, it is an older property but many of the rooms are upgraded and very very nice. The views from most rooms are of the public beach and the pool area which is quite nice. It's small, that's no secret ..... we had already planned that we would be leaving the property everyday to utilize the amenities at the other two Sandals (MoBay and Royal). We enjoy being in town occassionally- it was nice to be able to walk to the shops on the hip strip and the little grocery stores. Though we did not actually use the public beach across the street we have been to many public beaches before so for us that isn't an issue. The beach is very nice - clean bottom (no grass) and water is crystal clear. I did however chase the ice cream man (ice cream motorcycle) down the street one day for a treat.not that I need to, plenty of treats at Carlyle but I am a pretty interactive traveler... lol .. we watched the peanut man cooking and selling his peanuts at the public beach and listened to his push cart whistling as he walked by. *****Now really about the property: Staff = exceptional Property = small and older but definitely taken care of (yes the rooms that are not remodeled completely do need attention - especially the bathrooms, but I am sure this is in the works). Food = good/very good- No problems there. Bar Service = Good to very good and the guys at the bar are hysterical and so friendly. Snacks available all the time. Can't say too much about entertainment as we were on other sites each evening. Hotel is clean - pool and pool area very clean; our room was very clean and the housekeeping staff did a good job. Our frig was always well stocked. We did not have a Butler (for us that is wasteful as we were off property everyday). All rooms have room serive - though we never used it this trip - we are more go go go go all the time. There were way too many restuarnats with the 3 resorts in the play at 3 to eat in our room or on the balcony. Our room was on the third floor overlooking the pool and looking towards the beach. There was quite a bit of noise from time to time from across the street - car alarms etc like the other posting say but to be honest it really never bothered us at all. We will stay here again- the noise would not even be thought about when making our decision. We saved about $750 compared to the MoBay and Royal posted prices when we booked for our 6 night stay. We plan to stay at the Carlyle Inn again without hesitation and are already talking staying here again in January / February on our return trip. We met the GM, the Hotel Manager and many others while on site - it is definitely hands on with Sandals. PS Thanks Kaveen for your help and I hope the school trip is when we are there next time.
What could be done to make things a little better for guests:
1) have the shuttle start earlier - waiting until 9:30 is a little late to get going (*please note you can get a taxi though earlier - $10 per couple to Mobay and $12 per couple to Royal - we did this a few mornings to get an earlier start and had breakfast at Royal at 7:30). It gave us several more hours of things to do - some of the snorkel trips and diving times are early
2) put an elevator in - I think you would be able to service more individuals with disabilities and or age factor problems as your regular clients "age" - the third floor rooms (and really even the 2nd floor) are tough for some people to have access to up/down up/down etc.
3) put a few hooks in the bathroom for hanging things like travel bags / make up bags etc
4) SANDALS IN GENERAL: see if you can arrange to have returning guests pick up their Rum after cleaning customs/security at the MoBay airport. We only had two carry ons so we gave our returning guests bottle of Rum we got at the dinner to another couple who were first time Sandals customers and had check on bags
5) SANDALS IN GENERAL: though we LOVE the bigger bottles of lotion / shampoo / aloe etc... they are too big for security. think about making them the 3 oz size which would still fit in the great little sandals bags everyone gets in their rooms - but for someone like us who travel with carry ons most of the time we couldn't take our stuff home with us - I tried but they took it.
*****Thank you Sandals for always doing such a great job. Thank you Carlyle for taking good care of us. We will be back !!!! Great value, great trip! *******
PS If you are thinking about going - DO IT !!!! and take some school supplies with you - try to take a trip to the schools with Sandals if they have one while you are there - and even if they don't they will accumulate the donations and take them when they go the next time. Crayons, markers, reading books, coloring books, pencils, pens, all that type of stuff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A romantic, intimate atmosphere with personalized service.•The real Jamaican experience; Jamaican smiles and attentive service to make you feel at home instantly.•Small in size yet big on charm and large in value.•Close proximity to Montego Bay 'Hip Strip', where you will find duty free shopping, restaurants, bars and clubs.•24 hour room service for all room levels.•Butler service available for our newly renovated, top category room, the Carlyle Club Ocean View Penthouse.•Complimentary shuttle bus to Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Montego Bay “Stay at one play at three”, where you can enjoy eighteen dining experiences.•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row.•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sandals Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Carlyle Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Inn Jamaica
- Sandals Jamaica
- Sandals Montego Bay
- Sandals Inn Montego Bay