“Are yiou sitting comfortably? (Long review!)” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sandals Inn
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Scotland
“Are yiou sitting comfortably? (Long review!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from an 11 day stay at Sandals Inn. The holiday started perfectly – a great flight from Gatwick with Virgin – complete with complimentary champagne and cakes/fruit – a lovely surprise from the flight attendants who discovered we were honeymooning . Let’s say we’re not typical ‘honeymooners’, being in the ‘mellow’ age group, but we were really touched by the gesture, and it was a brilliant start to what became a fabulous holiday! Can’t say the same for the flight home, but that’s not part of this review! The negative comments will definitely be addressed to Virgin! Anyway, I digress.....

I emailed the hotel before we arrived to say how much we were looking forward to visiting Jamaica, our first Sandals experience, and our first ‘Jamaican smile’. On arrival we were checked in by Dalton – he didn’t ask if we would like a drink, instead he had arranged for two Jamaican Smile cocktails for us – obviously had read my email! Lovely personal touch and I just knew we were going to have a great time!

The room: We booked a ‘deluxe’ room and were thrilled to find we had been upgraded to a ‘premium’ room on the second floor with a balcony – room 203. The room was spotless, beautiful ‘kissing swans’ in towel art on the bed...the first of many – an elephant, a frog, a stingray, a shell, hearts....the list goes on, and all decorated with flowers from the garden, and we had a ‘turn down’ service every night. The curtains are ‘blackout’ so early light doesn’t intrude if you want to sleep on. There’s a full length mirror and another over the dresser. Hey, that’s an important detail!! Lol. We had room service breakfast on our balcony every day....there was a great choice, and always delivered on time. Even a complimentary honeymoon breakfast 3 times during our stay....champagne plus extra items not on the usual breakfast menu. Very romantic and appreciated. Room service was great, delivered quickly (usually!) and always with a smile. No-one EVER hung about waiting for a tip, though it would have been the ideal opportunity to ‘hint’. We honestly never felt pressured into tipping, and didn’t witness any other guests doing so. We got to know a lot of the staff quite well, though not nearly all of them as there are 72 staff members. Not a bad staff/guest ratio considering there can only ever be 104 guests if the hotel is at full capacity! The bathroom was dated, though perfectly clean, lovely soft brilliant white towels, and plenty of them. We had no problems with the water temperature or pressure though i know some guests did on occasion have a cooler than expected shower! Maid service daily and our room always smelled fresh, no hint of mouldiness as has been said. Fabulous 6’ comfortable bed.

The Food: Great breakfasts and plenty of choice. Lovely lunches and dinners at the Bay Window.....the menu changed every day and always included soup, appetisers and salads, and several entrees. Great jerk chicken, patties, fajitas, nachos, sandwiches, burgers and fries at ‘Nibbles’ snack bar. A couple of times a week the bay window serves ‘buffet style’. Again beautifully fresh salads with homemade coleslaw and potato salad, mains like goat ‘stew’ (curry), pasta and meat sauce, a fish dish, honeyed ham, bbq chicken, fried rice, steamed vegetables and the like. Not a huge choice by other resort standards,but remember this is a hotel with only 52 bedrooms, not hundreds of rooms like larger resorts. And you always have the option to eat at some of the restaurants in the other Sandals properties. We thoroughly recommend ‘Le Jardiniere’and the Royal Thai at the Royal Caribbean, and the Bayside at Mo Bay. I heard good reports about most of the restaurants, just didn’t have the time (or the capacity!) to try them all. Next time..
The food at the Carlyle restaurant at the Inn is delicious We waited until our last night to eat there, and I had a delicious appetiser of chicken and melba toast, and the best (and most tender) Steak Dianne. This was the only time I was disappointed in the service. Our server was a trainee and not at all friendly or gracious, though she did keep our glasses topped up! Dessert was flambéed ice cream and fruits....everybody else had blue flames when theirs was served, but our server just said “no blue flame, sorry” and walked away. We were the last in the restaurant and it was obvious they just wanted to finish up.

Back at the bar the assistant manager, Lisa, asked if we enjoyed our meal so I told her about dessert. Next thing we knew, she had Elvis bring me another dessert, poured Sambuca on and set alight to it!! What can I say....what service! And though I was full, I had to eat it....lol.

The Staff: Amazing people. Elvis, Omar and Antoinette at the Bay Window.....and Orlando who delivered crackers and cheese and glasses of champagne to our room after discovering I loved cheese. Narda and Guion, the ‘playmakers’, though sadly Guion has now left. Roy who maintained the pool and thrashed us at volleyball (he cheats!!! – lol) Kevin the gardener who cut off bits of aloe vera to ease our sunburn....the great guys at the bar – Dacre, Omar, the ‘Wolfman’ (Kenneth), and Jonathan...bad, bad man....his B52’s ensured a sound sleep on our last night! La Toya at the reservations desk, our housekeeper Desmine, The lovely management staff – Lisa, Mark, and of course Ms Cheryl Brown, the lady who keeps it all together. Numerous others whose names escape me, but as I said, there are 72 of them! You all deserve credit and I apologise for those i can’t remember! Blame it on the bartenders.....lol. Oh, and definitely no watering down of the drinks!

Entertainment: Varied......an Elvis impersonator with a great personality, a pretty good magician, the house band, great singers, including Jamaicas ‘Neil Diamond’ ???? Well, he sang Sweet Caroline...and was pretty good actually! Lol. Sounds a bit ‘cheesy’ but you had to be there! On our last night we were totally enthralled by ‘Silver Bird’, a fantastic steel band. There were 16, all people in their late teens or twenties. They were unbelievable...amazing energy, brilliant impromptu dance routines – both in front of and behind the drums! Catch a show with them if you can......wait til you hear ‘Suicidal’ or ‘Bleeding Love’ played in steel.....astonishing!

Every brochure I’ve seen points out that the Inn DOES NOT have a private beach, so this shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. Contrary to some reviews though, the beach is perfectly clean and safe. A little on the small side but never crowded. Local people bring their children to learn to swim. A couple of vendors but they’re only trying to make a living and we witnessed no aggressive behaviour from them or anyone else on the beach. The only irritating thing was the people who had to show off their latest car alarm.....several times! It did disturb us but thankfully was really bad only on one Saturday/Sunday night. And we had the whole of the next day to recover! Sometimes loud music from the cars, and occasional drilled out exhausts! But certainly didn’t go on 24/7 as stated in some reviews. This is out of the Inn’s control though, and it must be just as irritating for the local families on the beach. The road outside is a ‘dead end’ so the only people using it are the beach visitors and other guests! Also, again contrary to another reviewer, there are 40 rooms facing the pool/beach area, so another 12 overlook the gardens and would not be subject to the beach/road noise or music. Your choice, but it wasn’t an issue for us at all.

My husband says i can talk for Scotland, and given the length of this review he has a point! So thanks to everyone, the Staff, other guests we met – from America, Malta, England and Scotland - we feel like we’ve made a host of new friends and have already booked to return in December!

Am happy to answer any questions – just remember....we had a great time.....and I can talk!!! lol

• Liked — location, superb staff, great food and drinks.....loads cheaper than other Sandals, and NO KIDS!
  • Disliked — No kettle, just a coffeemaker..but i'm sure they would have got me one if i'd asked! (great coffee though!)
14 Thank Linda G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

My wife and I just had a great vacation at the Sandals Inn in Montego Bay Jamaica. These people were always so friendly to us, but we learned real quick that you don’t want to drive yourself around in Jamaica. As we were told, when driving, left is right and right they will pick up the pieces. No one has the right-of-way and stop signs are nothing but road decorations because nobody stops for them.
When we arrived at Sandals Inn we were met by Paul. He took care of our luggage including having it brought to our room and all the paper work that needed to be done, made sure we had something cold to drink when we arrived. While we waited for our room to be ready he showed us to the restaurant for lunch before showing us to our wonderful room.
Our VERY comfortable room had a king size bed that was great to sleep on, a ceiling fan over the bed, good size TV and a stocked fridge with soft drinks, water and juice.
Antoinette and Orlando work in the Bay Window restaurant and were so nice! Antoinette greeted us with a warm friendly smile every time we saw her. She tried to teach me some of their language which was interesting and fun and she was NEVER ashamed to give a friendly hug which I always enjoyed. Orlando was always smiling and happy, a joy to be around. Dacre, Jonathan and Omar are the greatest bartenders in the world. They are always friendly, willing to talk to you about anything and fix great drinks served with a smile.
For those that want a snack, Jack at the Nibbles snack bar is good. Never a problem to fix what you like (remembering it is a SNACK bar) at any time.
Sasha and Latoya take care of reservations for both restaurants and tours. They are at the base of the stairs so it made it very easy to reach them and to be greeted by them with a friendly smile going up and down the stairs.
The maintenance man is one we never had to call on for anything but he was always friendly and willing to talk to you.
Kevin, the grounds keeper, can tell you about any of the plants on the grounds and which one are good for what ails you.
The lady in the gift shop and the lady that works security when coming on the property work near each other, so it makes it easy to visit them and have a good chat with lots of smiles.
At the front desk you have Natoya and Jason on the day shift, and Renee at night. They are always willing to answer any questions or greet you with a warm smile as you pass by.
Narda, is the lady that is in charge of the water activities. She, Guion and Roy the play makers are great at volleyball. Narda, when she missed the ball, used the excuse she was too short, while grinning broadly, while Guion and Roy kept people laughing with the way they acted and the way they joked around.
Cheryl Brown, the manager of the Inn, is the GREATEST. She is a VERY enjoyable lady to be around. One night she sat down in our room with my wife and I and talked for about 45 minutes. She is serious when she needs to be, but, she ALWAYS has time to say a friendly word with a warm friendly smile to go with it. I have NEVER seen a manager that is better than she is. Nothing is EVER a problem for her. She did one thing that will always mean a lot to my wife and I. When the friends who were coming to the Inn had a flight delay and missed our renewal reception, Cheryl Brown arranged a mini reception for us the next night on our balcony. We came home from a tour and found our room had been decorated with flowers, there were candles on the balcony, the table set with a white tablecloth, hors d'oeuvres and wine were waiting too, along with the bottom half of our wedding cake, serving plates, silverware and even fruit punch for my wife and I (we don’t drink wine). That was a wonderful surprise and it made my wife cry when she saw it. We were able to enjoy a nice little reception that night, just the 4 of us and it was wonderful!
Lisa Gardner is one of the assistant managers there. She’s a tiny little thing, who looks like a puff of wind will blow her away, but don’t let that fragile look fool you! She, like Cheryl, was ALWAYS ready to get anything you needed, and nothing was ever a problem for her including all the questions I had for her. Great job, Lisa.
Mark is the other assistant manager there. We had a very good talk with him about the people of Jamaica. He was ALWAYS willing to help out with anything he could.
Many thanks to Doreen too, another person in management. She let us use her phone the first night when we needed to call home and our cell wouldn’t work. That was such a kind gesture. She is a really nice lady!
Of all the places that we have stayed at in the U.S., I haven’t seen or met people as friendly and humble as the management and staff at the Inn.
All the people there are at your service day or night, trying to make each person’s stay as pleasant as possible. As it was said many times “this is your vacation, we want to make you happy” which, is exactly what they did.
For the most part, it was a quiet stay. The noise factor wasn’t nearly as bad as some reviewers say, there was some noise but usually was not a problem. We are pleased to say we never saw ANY rats or roaches anywhere at any time while we were there. These people are always cleaning something around the clock, trying to keep everything as clean as possible. The only bad part about our stay there was saying good bye.
I don’t remember all the names of all the people that we met there, but it was a GREAT pleasure to meet and spent time talking, joking around and just being with them the short time we did. Thanks to all the people at Sandals Inn.

• Liked — Everything was great, I wouldnt change anything
  • Disliked — Going home, can't wait to return!
9 Thank ImPops
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

Just home from eleven days at the Inn and I’m pleased to say we’ll will definitely be back. From the time we arrived we were made to feel welcome. On arrival we were met by Dalton and Ms Brown welcoming us “home” which at the time appeared kind of corny but as our honeymoon went on we realised what was meant by the comment...the Inn definitely feels like home...a place to relax and be pampered. My wife and I arrived with so many great ideas but for the first week we stayed at the Inn during the day and were looked after from getting our breakfast delivered in the morning, the cocktails brought to us at poolside by Roy, having snacks prepared for us by Jack at Nibbles and of course we can’t leave out the team led by Jonathan at the bar with whom we spent so many hours. In fact every member of the team at Sandals Inn really went out of their way to ensure we had a fantastic time at the Inn. We also had Kevin the Gardener bringing cuttings of Aloe Vera and show us how to use it to relieve the sun burn on our noses. In every way we were totally spoilt during our stay at the Inn. And the General Manager (Cheryl Brown) always had time for her guests and would always stop and have a chat regardless of the time of day or night...she works very long hours.

I would love to be able to thank everyone of the team at the Inn who made our stay such a wonderful experience but there are just too many to mention. Would I recommend the Inn to my friends and family...you’ve gotta believe it, will I be back there again...already booked. I will say however, for those who are considering going to the Inn the road and beach opposite are public areas and you will sometimes experience the noises from the locals using their own space, this is outside the controllability of the Inn staff. The fantastic experience that we had on our Honeymoon at the Inn I’m pleased to say totally blanked any possible low point.

We will be back again at the end of the year but I’m pleased to say I’ll be back in the beautiful Island of Jamaica again in the not too distant future for work, and I hope to see them again when I do. Thank you again to all the team at Sandals Inn for making our stay so memorable.

• Liked — Every aspect...especially the Sandals Inn team
  • Disliked — Having to leave...but not for long
6 Thank derick54
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

My husband and I booked this vacation last minute as a first time get away without our two year old. We spent the entire time going back and forth on the bus to use the other Sandals resorts. Less than relaxing and highly disappointing. It also was more expensive than what our friends had paid at Montego Bay just a week before we went. We paid way too much for a substandard Sandals Hotel. We would NEVER go back.
*Located on a very busy and very loud road (car alarms, yelling and car stereos until all hours of the night)
*Not a private beach (Hotel is across the street from the beach and trust me! you would not want to sit on it)
*Upon check in hotel room smelled like garbage (there was a dumpster outside, below our room)
*Decor was ok but bathroom was dated and felt dirty (I wiped up water with a white wash cloth and it came up grey from filth)
*Bar area outside and facilities behind it were run down
*Tennis court and rackets were falling apart
*Healthclub equipment was in poor condition and it had little to offer
Only positives that I can recall are friendly staff and no bugs in the room!

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank glm2
Green Isle, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2008

We have just returned from 11 days in Paradise, at Sandals Inn. This is going to be a long review!! My husband and I were first time visitors to Jamaica and the Inn was the PERFECT place to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The staff, headed up by the wonderful Cheryl Brown, bends over backwards to make your stay pleasant and you are treated like family by all.
We had a rough flight to Jamaica, and once we cleared immigration we were ushered into the Sandals Lounge at the airport, warmly greeted and offered refreshments. Our vacation had begun! The pineapple soda in the lounge is absolutely delicious! After relaxing for about 15 min, our names were called and our luggage was loaded into a small bus for the ride to the Inn. We tipped the luggage handler $5 as well as the driver, they are not Sandals employees.

We arrived at the Inn in about five minutes and were greeted by Paul, the doorman, and Lisa, one of the assistant managers, at the entrance. Paul took us into the lounge and we were offered cool drinks and brought ice cold towels to cool off with. How refreshing! It took about 10-15 minutes to complete paperwork give credit card info etc, then Paul took us over to the Bay Window for a delicious lunch because our room wasn’t quite ready yet. Right as we finished lunch, Paul reappeared and told us our room was now ready and escorted us up to room 315, an upgrade :) The room was very very nice! There was a comfortable king sized bed with mahogany furniture and a balcony with a view of the pool and ocean. It was a great place to have breakfast in the morning and just sit outside and enjoy the weather. The phone worked perfectly, we saw not a single roach or “critter” in our room, and there were no rats at the restaurants that we ever saw! We were never approached for tips, and received great service from all. There wasn't even the slightest hint for a tip from any employee. For the next 11 days we left our cares behind and enjoyed the best vacation we have EVER taken! I am going to list the good and not so good below.

The good:
The staff is amazing. Cheryl Brown, the manager is phenomenal. Her staff is so friendly and willing to go the extra mile. If there was anything we needed or wanted, they would go out of their way to make us happy. We were absolutely pampered! The room was spotlessly clean. The maid always did a wonderful job and we found towel art on our bed almost every day. 24 hour room service was a nice touch. It was great to have breakfast on our balcony nearly every morning, and if we wanted a sandwich or something at 1am we could call and it was “no problem, mon”. Dacre and Jonathan and Omar make the best frozen drinks…you have to try a Jamaican Smile and a Hummingbird. After the first day they remembered we liked our drinks light on the rum, and always made them that way for us. They were friendly and smiling as were all the other staff. We felt so welcome by all! Even though the a/c only works when you are in the room, we found our room cooled off quite quickly and would actually get chilly at night. We would close the bathroom door because there are slats instead of windows in there, and it tended to become humid. That kept a lot of the heat and humidity out of the room and let it cool down faster.
Our room had a small fridge that was stocked with bottled water, Jamaican Coca Cola (really good, and different from the Coke from the US), Sprite and juice.
The bed was super comfortable. Firm but not hard, and really kind of high off the floor for me, but was just great! The TV had a nice selection of cable channels that we surfed a few times when we were too tired to go out, or it was raining.
There was some sort of entertainment every night. There was a Steel Drum Band, a woman singer with a fabulous voice, whose name I can’t remember, an Elvis impersonator that was really good too. There was a magician too, that put on a really fun show.
Guion, the playmaker was a hoot! He goes full throttle all day and evening and makes things so much fun. Watching the pool volleyball every morning was great fun!

Antoinette, at the Bay Window is a real sweetie. She always goes out of her way to make sure you have a good meal and is just nice to talk to and visit with. She’s a treasure. Orlando was great too!

NaToya and Renee and Jason at the front desk were great. La Toya, the wedding coordinator was a great help with us planning our renewal of vows, and went out of her way to make it nice for us, even when the weather didn’t cooperate. We appreciated that so much! Jack at the Nibbles Grill was friendly and the Jamaican Patties were sooooo good! Sasha, who arranges the tours and makes reservations was so sweet and managed to get us reservations at the restaurants we wanted to visit at least once, and sometimes more than that. Dalton and the Negril tour is a must do! What fun!! I know I have forgotten to mention some of the great staff, and I am sorry about that. There isn’t a dud in the lot! They all work together to make the Inn a special place to come home too!

Mark, one of the assistant managers was always so friendly and made sure things were running smoothly. Lisa, the other assistant manager was too. The staff is just great! Cheryl Brown was everywhere…when does this woman ever sleep! She’s always talking to her guests and making sure things are good and doing what she can to make them have a good time.

The shuttle runs to the other two Sandals every hour, except for an hour at lunch, and an hour at supper. It was usually quite prompt, and it was a 10 min drive to Sandals Mobay and an additional 5-10 min to the Royal. They were very nice to visit, and the restaurants there were very good (especially Tokyo Joe's, Le Jardinière, and The Oleander), but we always looked forward to returning to the Inn at night. It was like going home!

The not so good:

The hot water could be unpredictable. Sometimes I could take a shower with nothing but the hot water on and it would still be a cool shower. I probably picked the wrong time of day to shower, because my husband didn’t have that problem at all.

There has been a lot written about the noise at the Inn. Most of the time, the noise from the locals was not an issue. Out of 11 days, there was one night where it bothered my husband and I. The last Saturday night of our stay it was louder than we had heard it in the past and I was a bit grumpy the next morning. I got over it quickly though and next time we will bring some earplugs in case that happens again. Usually though, we slept like rocks, so one noisy night out of 11 isn’t too bad! The a/c and ceiling fan do make white noise that helps.

Overall, our visit to the Inn was the experience of a lifetime. We will definitely be going back and hopefully for a longer time next time! Cheryl, you are doing a GREAT job with the Inn and we hope to see you all again soon!! If anyone has any questions about the Inn or our stay, please feel free to email me!

• Liked — The whole experience was great!
  • Disliked — Having to leave :(
15 Thank flowerladytoo
Ashburn, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

What a week at the Sandals Inn! We visited the Sandals Inn with a group of 6 and made lots of friends while we were there (so our group actually grew during our stay).
I had always heard that if you stay at an all inclusive resort, you get tired of seeing the same people and doing all the same things. That was not at all the case. There were 2 other Sandals resorts we could venture off to so we could enjoy the beach, water sports and other restaurants. So getting bored with the same options were not an option for us. Sandals posted a list of activities for the day for each of the Sandals resorts so you could plan your day around that.
It was also a relief to not worry about how much money you should bring or what other items to take because everything was all inclusive. The only thing I would take with me when I left the room was sunscreen and my room key! That's all you needed!
After visiting the other 2 Sandals resorts, it was always a relief to come back to the Sandals Inn where there wasn't tons of other people. We could get away from the crowds and visit with other couples visiting Jamaica. It was really fun getting to know others and talking about each other's life stories. After all you saw the same couples everyday; at meals, by the pool, at the other resorts, by the bar, getting a snack - everywhere. It would be pretty hard not to be able to strike up a conversation with someone.
I also believe this was the first time I had ever really got to know the staff at a hotel. They seemed to really want us to have a good time while we visiting Jamaica. They encouraged us to take some trips and informed us of the different events at the other Sandals resorts. They liked to laugh and joke around with us with just about anything. They were able to teach us lots of things about their culture. They even taught us a Jamaican handshake, which we used everywhere! All the Jamaicans got excited when we practiced our new handshake with them. It became a great icebreaker or conversation starter.
The Sandals Inn was much smaller then the other 2 resorts and I believe that's why we were able to get to know the staff so well. It was a very intimate and relaxing setting. The shows performed at the Inn were better because the performers were able to interact with the audience on a one on one basis, which made it even more fun.
It was the first time I had ever left a hotel where the staff came out to wish us well on our journey back home. One member actually came running up the sidewalk saying she needed to say good-bye. It was sad to leave them behind along with the other couples we had met during our stay.
Sandals Inn was a great place for us to relax, have fun, party and have no worries at all.

• Liked — The different activities
  • Disliked — They should keep it more like a beach scene: relaxing. Who wants to get dressed up and make a reservation for dinner while you're at the beach?
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank islandhopper57
cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

We visited the other Sandals and are SO GLAD we chose MONTEGO BAY. I woudn't stay at any other Sandals. My husband and I went with two other couples and we had the best time.. The staff knew our names by day 2 and ensured that we were having fun at all times. The airplanes overhead did not bother us at all. We received a free upgrade in our room when we got there. The snorkeling was amazing and was beautiful. Go to the BEACH PARTY, it was great.

• Liked — The AMAZINGLY funny and CRAZY STAFF.
  • Disliked — that i had to leave!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends