“Excellent vacation”

Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Olney, Illinois
“Excellent vacation”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Jamaica (Sept 3- Sept 7) and we were both so glad that we chose the Sandals Carlyle Inn. The atmosphere is quiet and relaxed and the people take the time to get to know you and the service was second to none. The Inn is a little older but is in excellent condition. There was some construction noise during the day as they are renovating but I only noticed it if I was walking in the hallway that they were working in. I never heard anything when I was at the pool, bar, sitting on our balcony or laying in our room.

The people who work here are just simply amazing. Andre, Vanessa and Deniece in particular deserve our thanks and appreciation. They were constantly going out of there way to take care of us. We always felt as if the whole staff cared about where we were and that we were happy. I have never felt so valued when I was on vacation as I did while staying at the Carlyle. By the end of the first day both my wife and I were being recognized by our first name and it was the attention to the little details like this that let us know we were appreciated. On one of our mornings we were diving we stopped by the front desk on the way out and asked for dinner reservations at the Italian restaurant, the lady said she would try while we were out and to check back when we got back. When we returned she told us that she was unable to get us in to that restaurant but had called around and got us in to the Royal Thai (which was amazing). My point is that the lady could have stopped when she couldn't get us in to the restaurant we requested but went the extra mile to get us a unique experience. Speaking of food this is far and away the best food we have ever ate at an all inclusive. There was a lot to choose from and and it was all amazing.

For those people who are choosing Sandals for the diving my wife and I were both extremely pleased. They had many dive sites to choose from each offering different dive profiles. We saw lionfish, stingrays, jellyfish, eels and all of the expected reef fish. Some others in our dive groups saw turtles, an octopus and dolphins. They always sent dive guides down with us and they knew where they were going to see the best of the site.

My final thought is not to be scared by some of the negative reviews. The Carlyle is an amazing property; yes it does not have a private beach and yes it is older than the other MoBay Sandals resorts but the value that you get far exceeds the negatives. My recommendation is to save the money, stay at the Carlyle and use that money for your excursions and souvenirs. We cannot wait to go back next year!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Craig W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
Olney, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have been here for a few days now and have a few more to go before we go home. I am very excited to say that we are enjoying the stay here at Sandals Carlyle Inn...We are here we have had great food great service from the time we got here on Monday September 3rd and we are here until Friday the 7th I will have more to up date as we go. We have been treated very much like we are family here. Please know it is a little older Hotel but with the ability to stay at 1 and play at 3 you can not go wrong

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Waltznurse
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I just got back from our week long honeymoon at the Sandals Carlyle (Aug. 21-28th). It was amazing!! Intimate surroundings, free drinks and food. Everyone made us feel very welcome! A special thanks to Andre, Denise, Devine, Keiffer, and Vanessa! Especially Andre. I have severe social anxiety and he got me to do things I have never done, like dance in public! If anyone knows how to get ahold of him on Facebook, that would be wonderful, haha! Well we both enjoyed it so much that we are planning on going back again. We made the trip to the Montego Bay resort and quickly wanted to go back to the Carlyle. We loved how relaxing and personal the whole resort is. Thank you all for a fantastic vacation!

Room Tip: I loved our second floor room. We could watch over the pool area and the street activity.
1 Thank Heather_and_David12
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I spent our 3rd Jamaican vacation at the Carlyle Aug. 16th-21st. We love Jamaica, the people, and the food and have been to the Riu in Negril and Iberostar in Mobay in the past. The Carlyle is different than those big resorts and may not offer every amenity, and the rooms are dated, but the staff is wonderful and the food was good. It was not as busy when we were there and it often felt as if we were the only ones staying there. It seemed very quiet inside the hotel, but there is a lot of road noise and music playing from the public beach across the street as our room was a seaside premium with music playing often through the night. We spent the majority of our days at the other two resorts that had more beach space and activities going on throughout the day. The food: We thought the food was good, however we would have liked more local food offered everyday, like curried goat and chicken, and oxtails. At Sandals Mobay we found out that the only day they serve local food on Wednesday evenings. We had to go down the HipStrip to find curried goat and oxtails at the Twisted Kilt, which was just ok. The room: The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is small and dated. The view was nice from the seaside premium room of the beach and the pool. The balcony was nice and spacious. The staff: Wonderful service! Joanna at the excursions desk does a wonderful job and works hard even past her shift to make sure guests enjoy their trips around the island. We highly recommend the Native Negril trip which was fabulous and you get to do a lot for a reasonable price, including spending the afternoon at the Sandals in Negril, shopping, and cliff diving (a must do!). We also found better prices for souvenirs in Negril than in Mobay. Dalton the Negril tour guide is excellent in teaching the history of the island and entertaining during the ride to Negril. Vanessa in entertainment at the Carlyle was very nice and does a great job at engaging with guests and great conversation. Tessa and Renee at the front desk were very courteous and check in and check out was a breeze. Bellmen Paul and Sean are very timely with service and hardworking with a smile. Canute the hardworking shuttle driver was the definition of punctual as the shuttle left every hour on the hour exactly, thank you for all the pleasant rides. At MoBay, bartenders Karson and Andrew were fun and entertaining thanks for making us laugh. Server Delroy went above and beyond to get my husband a Reggae mix CD on his day off; more than what can be expected, thank you. Housekeeping, thank you for your hard work at the Carlyle. We would consider coming back, mainly for the service, the option of experiencing three resorts while staying at one, and the great location on the Hip Strip within walking distance of several shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street for a more quiet stay.
1 Thank abena_sackey
College Station, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We traveled Aug 15-19. I will start by saying that, like most other reviewers, we reviewed TA extensively before deciding on the Carlyle. We knew what to expect. We chose SC because of the affordable price and the ability to go to the other properties and enjoy the beach etc. The hotel itself is very small and the staff is great. I will say that the property is definitely dated, but honestly we just needed a bed to sleep in and this property was perfect. The food was GREAT and the service even better. The only thing I was not expecting was the window unit and the rigging of electrical cords around the door with a doorbell type button that you had to push to start the AC. The AC would go off when you went in and out and you had to hit the button to turn it on again. We found this to be not as energy efficient as they want it to be.. the room gets hot and then you have to wait for it to cool off. Easily remedied as they did something to keep it on all the time and we would adjust the temp when we left. At night is was almost too cold!
The shuttle starts at 0930 and runs every hour, breaking for lunch and dinner at 1:45-2:45 and 7:45-8:45. There was one time in all the shuttle trips that the bus was full and they sent a driver for the couple that would not fit and they beat us to the resort! We preferred the atmosphere at the Royal Carribean over MoBay. However, we heard that MoBay was more of a nightlife scene. We partied at Margaritaville and had a fabulous time!
Honestly, we kept the drinks flowing and had a great time. They (security and staff) are always aware of where you are and make sure you are safely where you need to be. I never felt unsafe. Even walking the road at night to the HipStrip. People try to sell you stuff or get you into their club, but "no thanks" suffices.
We went to Dunn's River Falls and they arranged for us to have lunch at one of the properties over in Ocho Rios. If you do the Falls be aware that you DO NOT have to do the guided trip if you feel comfortable. We didnt know this and ended up with a huge group of strangers (not my cup of tea). Also, the "craft mall" has RUDE and PUSHY vendors. Absolutely horrible. Just be aware of that, wish I had known and would have gone a different way out.
Overall, a very pleasant experience. The country is one filled with poverty and to sit here and complain that there was some chipping paint seems arrogant. I have never met people that work as hard as the Jamaicans.They never stop moving! Make sure to check out the Sandals Foundation and bring some supplies for the schools off the list. I just packed a big ziplock bag full and had no problem making weight with luggage!
Special thanks to Andre, Vanessa and Denise for their friendly smiles and great conversation :)
I could go on and on.....

3 Thank ReadyForParadise
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I spent a week here in July 2012. It's very different from other Sandals resorts, but the differences are a strength in most cases. Let me say up front that if you want a great beach and expansive resort, this is NOT the place for you. If you like boutique hotels with outstanding service and a staff that calls you by name, stay here. There are free shuttles running every hour to take you to Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Royal Caribbean if you want the long beaches and a host of water sports (kayaks, Hobie Cat sailboats, sea trikes, snorkel trips, dive trips, glass-bottomed boat tours, etc). The shuttles were reliable. They were occasionally crowded but there was always room for everyone.
This resort is closer to the city of Montego Bay. It's within a 5-minute walk of the Hip Strip, loaded with souvenir shops and restaurants, including Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville.
The Carlyle Restaurant was outstanding. It's a French restaurant with excellent food and service. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal there. The Bay Window restaurant was where we had breakfasts (buffet or a la carte) and a few other dinners and lunches. With one exception, all the meals were very good. The fresh fruits on the buffet were wonderful. The Jamaican Buffet that was served one evening was a great way to showcase this cuisine. I had snapper simmered in coconut milk with some veggies for my main dish. Wonderful dish!
While the other Sandals resorts in Montego Bay offer a wider range of activities, the Sandals Carlyle is a very relaxing and friendly place to stay. I strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try the butler service. It's very affordable here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank RBWCSW
DeSoto, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I are Jamaicans. We decided to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary at our homeland, August 5 - 12th.Keeping in mind that its also the countries 50th independence celebration. We chose SC because it is smaller then the other resorts and the fact that we can also enjoy the others was a plus. Checking was great and personal. I stated to Renee at the desk that we are home to celebrate our 30th Anniversary and she gave us an upgrade. On the date of our Anniversary she took us champagne and cake ... AWESOME this is what I call service. Throughout our stay the staff was GREAT. They went up an beyond to make it happen. KUDOS TO RENEE / PAUL. Even the General Manager was visible at all times. The hotel was very clean, thanks to the Housekeeping for the great service in keeping our room clean. I enjoy the other two Sandals but look forward to return to the personal touch of SC. My Husband and I had a great stay. Thanks to all the staff.

3 Thank Bernadette L
SeaGarden Beach Resort
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#22 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Inn? Share your experiences!