My husband and I stayed at Sandals Montego Bay from January 16 to January 23rd. We were so looking forward to our vacation in Jamaica since it had been awhile since we had been anywhere tropical. In some senses we were more than impressed and in others we were somewhat disappointed. I expected Sandals to be the be all end all in every way, and I'm still sure some of them are. I'll break my review into categories to make it easier for you to decide:
Arrival: Amazing treatment right from the airport. When you arrive at the resort you are taken to a comfortable lounge and offered a cold towel and champagne while they check you in. Very impressive.
Airport Location: The entrance to our room was basically across the street from a runway. When the first plane flew over I thought WOW, but you get used to it really fast and nobody seems bothered. Besides, they stop flying around 9 or 10 at night and don't start too early.
Room: We were upgraded to a concierge suite (a few categories higher than the lowest grade but still a ways down from the top). Concierge service is a MUST because you can consume as much bottled water as you like without it costing you. Our room was right on the beach in front of the basketball courts second level. Beautiful view and fairly nice room, but not new. Our bed was comfortable and bathroom clean.
Resort: Nice. Older but continually being maintained (painted etc.) Some contruction going on, but not a huge deal. Very small disco - we were not interested.
Beach: Beautiful and huge beach. This is the place to be - more than enough space and loungers.
Pool: Not satisfactory for lounging. The main pool is very small and rectangular. Used mainly for volleyball and scuba lessons. No one hangs out there. The piano bar pool is really cold and very small. Neat shape but far away from main part of beach and little room to lounge. If you prefer to lay around a huge pool with nice swim up bars and be right next to a nice beach (like we do) this is Not the Place for You. We were very disappointed in the pools.
Restaurants: Excellent Food!!! Especially at dinner time. The Cuciana Romana (Italian) was our favorite. Tokyo Joe's was really good too ... but we trusted them on the sauces and it was far too spicy for us. Even the Bayside and OK Corral were excellent!!
Service: Excellent!!! The staff was wonderful and friendly. The Hotel Manager came around every morning during breakfast to meet and greet the guests. He seemed very nice. We even saw him strolling down the beach one day greeting the guests.
Entertainment: Lacking good entertainment. Our idea of good entertainment is organized nightly "shows". They had something going on every night, but not real "shows". The beach party (Monday nights) was very entertaining though. A big buffet on the beach and entertainment. Throughout the day there are organized activities, but if you want to be involved in volleyball etc. be aggressive so you can actually play.
*Overall it was a really nice vacation, but lacked in two important areas to us: Pools and Entertainment. If you are strictly a beach person and don't care for nightly entertainment, you will Love this Resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Largest private white sand beach on the north coast •The entertainment capital of the Sandals brand with nightly professional shows and upbeat, active, fun-loving daytime activities. •Six exquisite dining options•Complimentary transfers to Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Carlyle. Enjoy all the luxuries included in our “stay at one, play at three” concept offering 18 dining options •Air-conditioned departure lounge•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Unique Vacations Inc, Booking.com, Prestigia, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sandals Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Montego Bay Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Hotel Montego Bay
- Montego Bay Sandals Hotel
- Sandal Montego Bay