“Nice Vacation”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed February 8, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Montego Bay from January 16 to January 23rd. We were so looking forward to our vacation in Jamaica since it had been awhile since we had been anywhere tropical. In some senses we were more than impressed and in others we were somewhat disappointed. I expected Sandals to be the be all end all in every way, and I'm still sure some of them are. I'll break my review into categories to make it easier for you to decide:

Arrival: Amazing treatment right from the airport. When you arrive at the resort you are taken to a comfortable lounge and offered a cold towel and champagne while they check you in. Very impressive.

Airport Location: The entrance to our room was basically across the street from a runway. When the first plane flew over I thought WOW, but you get used to it really fast and nobody seems bothered. Besides, they stop flying around 9 or 10 at night and don't start too early.

Room: We were upgraded to a concierge suite (a few categories higher than the lowest grade but still a ways down from the top). Concierge service is a MUST because you can consume as much bottled water as you like without it costing you. Our room was right on the beach in front of the basketball courts second level. Beautiful view and fairly nice room, but not new. Our bed was comfortable and bathroom clean.

Resort: Nice. Older but continually being maintained (painted etc.) Some contruction going on, but not a huge deal. Very small disco - we were not interested.

Beach: Beautiful and huge beach. This is the place to be - more than enough space and loungers.

Pool: Not satisfactory for lounging. The main pool is very small and rectangular. Used mainly for volleyball and scuba lessons. No one hangs out there. The piano bar pool is really cold and very small. Neat shape but far away from main part of beach and little room to lounge. If you prefer to lay around a huge pool with nice swim up bars and be right next to a nice beach (like we do) this is Not the Place for You. We were very disappointed in the pools.

Restaurants: Excellent Food!!! Especially at dinner time. The Cuciana Romana (Italian) was our favorite. Tokyo Joe's was really good too ... but we trusted them on the sauces and it was far too spicy for us. Even the Bayside and OK Corral were excellent!!

Service: Excellent!!! The staff was wonderful and friendly. The Hotel Manager came around every morning during breakfast to meet and greet the guests. He seemed very nice. We even saw him strolling down the beach one day greeting the guests.

Entertainment: Lacking good entertainment. Our idea of good entertainment is organized nightly "shows". They had something going on every night, but not real "shows". The beach party (Monday nights) was very entertaining though. A big buffet on the beach and entertainment. Throughout the day there are organized activities, but if you want to be involved in volleyball etc. be aggressive so you can actually play.

*Overall it was a really nice vacation, but lacked in two important areas to us: Pools and Entertainment. If you are strictly a beach person and don't care for nightly entertainment, you will Love this Resort.

15  Thank miskco
Write a ReviewReviews (5,532)

Reviewed February 8, 2007

Hi There,
Well i must start off by saying we are home in the rain and short days, with grins still on our faces. This was the most interesting vacation spot we have had. We are not well travelled but have enjoyed Mexico, Hawaii, Florida, with ocean /beaches being in the forefront of any of our little getaways.
Sandals Montego Bay has the most interestingly beautiful array of flowering shrubs /palms/ trees/and plantings in general.
Outstanding food, good fun entertainment, great walking beach! It is easy to understand this when you meet the wonderful and deciated staff that look after any little requirement you can imagine while maintaining this vacation spot that blends adults from all walks of life into a sunny and happy enviroment. We were thinking of mentioning the names of outstanding staff but would be writing most of the day. All we can say is WOW that was incredible.
thanks to all of you
Ron n Wendy

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank BCBOOGIE
Reviewed February 6, 2007

We booked on Monday and flew in on Thursday! What a great trip. Our accommodations were over the top. We stayed in a "Presidents suite". It had 2 flat screen tv's, wet bar, and a view that could kill!! The weather was great, the food was good, and the staff was excellent. There was no problem with the airpalnes overhead. Horace gave us a "private concert" he is amazing! This resort has great value per dollar. The ony negative I can think of, is that our room phone did'nt work!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank the-big-bamboo
Reviewed February 6, 2007

We booked our stay at short notice. We had no idea what to expect. We got great upgrades on our arrival. Even with the resort full we didn't feel like things were crowded. We could book most anything when we wanted and there was always enough lounge chairs to be out on and soak up the sun. The food in general wasn't the best, but plenty of it with good service. The Italian & Stir Fry were awsome. We love to travel and have tried to stay away from big resorts, but were amazingly suprised at the service we recieved.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2007

My wife and I arranged to be married at Sandals Montego Bay and were very excited about our trip until we stumbled onto this websight and read some of the poor reviews. We had already booked our trip and were a bit cautious upon arriving.

When we arrived, we stayed in the Seagrapes and were upgraded...although I would not have called it an upgrade. Our room overlooked a construction site (Room 1001). SO we didn't start out on the best note...but the rest of our stay was incredible!!!!

The grounds at Sandals Montego Bay are very large with lush gardens, a rather long beach with many activities, and several bars and restaurants. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by the the food. I owned my own fine dining restaurant for 12 years and am not easily pleased. For the most part, the food quality with a few minor acceptions was pretty good. The Italian Restaurant is VERY good!!! The Olander is also very nice. Tokyo Joe's was good, but the worst spring roll one could imagine. The O.K. corral was similar in quality to a Ponderosa...I didn't expect more so It met my expectations. The service was very good, and three times the bartender allowed me to take a bottle of champagne to my room...as long as I didn't tell (sorry!, the secrets now out!)

Our wedding was very nice and well done....we were not preasured to upgrade as I feared we might be. The staff was very helpful and made us feel special as newlyweds not only on our special day, but throughout our stay. The Cake was beautiful and tasted delicious. The best was our photographer, she was VERY good!!!! We upgraded what we had initially intended to spend on pictures because we just couldn't leave them behind...absolutely beautiful...our friends and family were amazed when they saw them!!!!!

We did also visit Sandals Royal Caribbean....we are both 40...and we thought it was a beautiful property...but BORING!!!!

Sandals Montego Bay always had something going on, something to see, or something to do. The property is older, but seemed to be well maintained.

We will definately return!!!!

3  Thank JGDeRose
Reviewed February 4, 2007

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay for a long weekend the first weekend in February. This was our first experience with an all-inclusive resort. The staff really made the trip. Everyone was friendly and helpful and we had a great time with the entertainment staff. The food was generally good (the Italian restaurant was particularly good) and we only had a couple of mediocre meals and both were lunches. The sleeping room was nice but the air conditioning couldn't really keep the room all that cold. Part of that problem was that two of the windows in the bathroom were shutters and screens only - not windows that would actually close so we had to keep the door to the bathroom closed all of the time and it was always warm in there. The biggest drawback was the resort's proximity to the airport. It was so close that you could hear the planes land and take off all the time, even late at night/early in the morning. While on the beach, you would have to pause a conversation when a plane went by because you could not hear one another. I was also surprised that there was as much construction going on at the resort as there was considering that it is high season there. The grounds are also beautifully landscaped. All in all it was a lovely experience. We are inclinded to try another Sandals although we will likely try another Carribean destination for our next trip.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SiteCer
Reviewed February 3, 2007

My husband and I had the most incredible vacation at the Sandals, Montego Bay. I hardly know where to start to describe the whole experience. It began with our arrival to the resort when we were met by Alford at our Orientation and welcome. We were immediately impressed by the way we were made to feel like we were the most important guests there. To our amazement, everyone feels that way! The room was wonderful. It was looking out at the beautiful ocean with an incredible view. The activities, food , and especially the people were fabulous. I had to be in a wheelchair because I broke my foot a few weeks before our trip. I am impressed by the attention and care I received. I never felt like I missed out on anything. I can only imagine how wonderful our next trip will be when I am able to enjoy it with both feet! We loved everything so much that we re-booked for this summer while we were still there. We celebrated two special events while there. Our Anniversary and husbands 50th birthday. Everything was perfect. We recommend this location 100%!!

1  Thank preciousnala
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!