5,980 results
All reviews palms building our honeymoon oleander room almonds building cucina romana tokyo joes stew fish butler service piano bar bayside restaurant sea grapes royal caribbean close to the airport cafe de paris main bar water skiing water sports
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I have traveled to many all inclusive resorts and I am able to honestly say that Sandals Montego Bay is by far the most clean, elegant, and friendly resorts I have ever been to.

Before traveling anywhere, I always refer to TripAdvisor to read what everyone else rated the destination, as you can often be fooled by even just the pictures when you research your all inclusive trip. When you set foot on the resort, everything looks Exactly like the brochure and website. You're welcomed with a warm cloth, complementary waiting room (beer included!) and a valet service which takes you right to the resort. Totally waiting time, 10 minutes.

When staying at this resort, I sure found out what 'Super All-Inclusive' meant! The food looks, smells and Tastes like it was prepared by a Cordon Bleu Chef. The meals we ate at the resort would have cost us at Least 200$ back home in little Ottawa. Their Liquor was all high end (Smirnoff, Grand Marnier, Tanquray, etc.) and also included local brands. They served Guiness in the pub, peach champagne at the pool bar, Beringer Estate wine during dinner and baileys with coffee at the lobby bar for a nice after dinner treat. For those of you who stay away from alcohol, they had AMAZING 'mock-tails', full of freshly squeezed juices and slushy drinks.

Quick run down of the resort...
Very clean - cleaning service even pulled down your bed sheets at 9pm every night! Beaches are groomed every night, sea weed pushed out of designated swimming areas, etc.
Very practical - You're treated as adults. You were allowed 24 hour access to the pools, beach, bars, and food. It had always bothered me when I was "not allowed to go swimming at night due to 'safety hazards'". Rubbish.
Very accommodating - if you wanted butler service, you could get it. We opted not to, but those who did were extremely pleased. Their butlers reserved them beach and pool side chairs every morning, along with fresh cut flowers and towels. Very cute if you're planning your honey moon. We met people who thought that the Oceanview Villas would obviously, be ocean view. They were not though, however - not a problem. They were upgraded with no extra fees!
Very Yummy - The 5 pounds I lost before the trip stayed off. Due to the fact that not everything on the menu was deep fried or super fatty like most all inclusive's. As said earlier, food was Amazing - but also healthy. Many vegan, vegetarian, and allergy options as well, which I was impressed with. Also, you could make as many reservations as you want. Every resort I have been to allows you 3-5. Not Sandals. You also have access to the other Sandals resorts in Jamaica, which gives you variety and the option to expolre with shuttles coming every hour between the resorts.
Very fun!!!! - There was ALWAYS something going on. Choose to laze by the beach or play some volley ball. Wind surfing, snorkeling, scuba diving, board games, magazines, books, Wi-fi, cable tv, catamaran rides, dancing lesson, nightly entertainment etc. ALL INCLUDED! We stayed for a week and honestly left without doing everything we wanted! You also get Sandals points with everything you're involved in, which you accumulate every time you stay with them and every time you're involved with activities. These add up to prizes, and ultimately FREE trips. Forget my Aeroplan points! Also, they had a resort wide beach dinner, including drum band, fire breathing man, and everything else 'beach party' you could think of. Everyone was served buffet style outside, however if you wanted something more romantic, all the restaurants were still open. The managers, resort general manager, and a ceo of some sort were even in attendance, mingling with the guests and their staff. It was very welcoming and fun.
Very polite and friendly staff - You can tell that this resort just doesn't hire anyone... Everyone speaks English exceptionally well. EVERYONE says hello to you as you walked by. Most importantly - It is NOT TIP BASED like every other resort you go to. Therefore, you're served just like everyone else. Not like how you often have to wait because Mr. Robinson gave the 'tender a 20$ tip, keeping his attention for the whole night... We did tip, solely because I used to work in the service field and lets face it, those people who work on all inclusive resorts deserve a little extra. Especially when they provide exceptional service as they did at this Sandals resort!

To sum everything up, I'm already looking into booking for next year. You get what you pay for (I've learned this along the way) and spending that little extra this time made the LARGEST difference throughout my vacation. And every so often, if you're lucky, Sandals and Beaches will place their vacations at 65% off. Which is astounding, as I was lucky enough to do this and really felt that I got a HUGE bargain! I booked online as I do not like dealing with travel agents sometimes, and it was just as easy. They look after your flight information, accommodation, transfers, and have telephone support if needed.

Lastly, to address the 'close to airport situation' and planes overhead of the resort. This concerned me as I was reading other people's postings prior to booking my vacation. I was pleasantly surprised with the infrequent take offs. Be honest with yourself while you're booking here. If this situation is going to bother you THAT much, then pick another sandals location. We are very easy going and as far as I'm concerned, a little noise is nothing compared to the -40 degree weather in Ontario! Also, the 10 seconds of noise every 3-5 hours was a fair trade for the 8 minute transfer from the airport it took! You did not hear any planes take off after 9pm and I'm sure I don't speak for myself when I say that the hour to hour and a half transfers from airports to your resort are always a real downer. This 8 minute transfer was great, especially since we were allowed to bring our drinks with us! ;)

Great job Sandals! We'll be back!

Renee & Matthew - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

7  Thank OttawaColdinCanada
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I would recomend and do recomend sandals montego bay to anyone looking for a trip that they will remember forever.And if your relationship needs alittle boost, this place is the perfect remedy,because its all about couples.We love sandals,and thats why we keep going back year after year.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iluvjamacia
Reviewed January 31, 2010

My husband and I had a fab trip to Sandals MoBay in Jan 2010. We have stayed at sandals ocho rios before, and let me tell you, they treat returning guests like gods! We were upgrated to a room that cost about $1000 more then the one we got. We sent fresh, warm rum cake as soon as we checked in. We had concierge service but never really used it. The Sandals Select dinner was great, got a free bottle of run and sandals necklace, and it was a great time to meet all the managers of the property. It's amazing at the ties that you make with the employees, and they are all great.

All of the restaurants were wonderful 4 or 5 course meals, with drinks, something my husband and I woudl never treat ourselves to at home! The beach was awesome, but hard to find a chair mid-day. We spent an afternoon on a "bed" we snagged by the pool and that was awesome- soooo comfortable and posh.

Spent an afternoon at the Sandals Royal Carribean's island where it was sooo casual and quiet, almost like a private island to outselves. We had dinner at the royal thai restaurant there at night too - very tasty.

Scuba diving was great - we went about 8 times. So convienant and easy to sign up to scuba. My husband waterskiied and kneeboarded and loved it. the watersports were very easy and accessable. Nice to be right by the airport, an easy 5 minute trip and the airplane noise wasn't bad at all. my husband actually liked it a lot!

Will definately go back to this sandals again, but would like to try out negril or whitehouse for their scuba too!

3  Thank matischer
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I dont even know where to start...Sandals Montego Bay is the worst resort i have ever been to.....from the start everthing went wrong. 1st they bring us to our room, we walk in and relize that its the wrong room..it took 5 nights and 6 days to find out why we were put in a this small room.....because they overbooked the Bay Roc Villa Suites so they figured they would put us in the lowest of the low room and would be ok with it....p.s....there was 4 other couples that the same thing happend to them and they were also in this little cottage wating for the room or suite they paid for. p.s.s......my trip was booked over a year ago....they did not want to take the blame for any of it...they give you the run around. so after almost a week in the wrong room they finally put us in the right room for the last 5 days of our honeymoon.....The BUTLER service is a joke...your better off just doing everthing your self...room service is just as bad.. we ordered cheese and crackers it took almost an hour and a half to get to our room....There not a very clean resort....we went to the bar we order 2 red strips..my husband is watching them and sees that they just empty out the cups throw them in a sink of water and rinses them out .....so the guy before us left his empty cups on the bar the bartender took them threw them in the sink and never washed them out and filled them up with our red strip and tried to give us those cups.....we just left them there...... ewwwww grossss.....The food sucks , The buffet is the same everday. Not much to choose from. The beach is very small so people are right on top of you and if your not at your chair that was reserved for you by 10 30 anyone can take it.....oh ya and did i mention every room comes with your very own COCKAROACH!!! NEVER AGAIN !!!! so to everone who reads this take my advice stay somewhere eles...Jamacia its self is a beautiful country and the people are so nice!!! we loved it there....but the resort was terrible!!!

8  Thank babsbunny21
Reviewed January 30, 2010

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay from January 18th to 25th. Upon our arrival at the airport, we barely had a chance to explore the beautiful Sandals lounge before we were whisked away to the bus. The drive was scenic and short and before we knew it we were in the lobby, drinking champagne, and waiting for our Butler. He arrived shortly after and gave us a quick tour of the resort and our room.

The Room:
We stayed in a Bay Roc Beachfront Veranda Suite which was on the main floor. We were in the building to the right of the swim up bar (if facing the buildings), and had the best view, private beach and location. Our room had a gorgeous king bed, a full bar, fridge and lots of storage space. There is a safe, Red Lane spa products (shampoo, conditioner, lotion and aloe gel), hairdryer and bathrobes/slippers. It also comes with an Ipod docking station for you to listen to your own music if so desired.

The beach area in front of the building is reserved for Bay Roc guests so it is less crowded and secluded. There is also a patch of beach in front of the swim up bar which is a bit more lively.

The villas down the far end of the resort do not have beach in front of them so they are still nice but more difficult to access the water.

The main beach is also very nice but seems to be quite busy and difficult to find a chair after 10:00am.

The entire resort has powder white sand and crystal blue water – beautiful!

The Restaurants:

The Bayside is a great place for buffet breakfast, lunch or full dinner menu and reservations are not required. Service was prompt and the food was good. Made to order omelets are great in the morning. The restaurant opens at 7:30 so you may have to wait for a table for a few minutes after that but it’s fairly quick.

Tokyo Joes is also a great place to eat. You get an appetizer and soup and then go up to the chef to pick your ingredients for the stir fry. He makes it in front of you and you take it back to your table. There are all kinds of veggies to pick from; beef, chicken or shrimp and you can choose steamed or fried rice. It was a great meal.

Cucina Romana is the Italian restaurant and is also very good. Check when making reservations as it isn’t open every night. I hear the shrimp linguini there was fantastic.

Cucina is also open at 8:30 am for a la carte breakfast on certain days of the week. Great view and good food (including Eggs Benedict).

The Oleander Room is the formal Jamaican/International restaurant and was also very good. My husband had lobster there which he said was fantastic.

The Royal Thai at the Royal Caribbean sister resort (just down the road) was also a fun getaway. It’s a set menu so choices are limited. Also note, there are no shuttles between resorts from 8 – 9 pm so if you finish dinner and want to get back to Montego Bay you may need to take a cab ($10 per couple)

Activities:
The resort has all kinds of water sports and activities. We took the snorkel tour (included) and my husband went water skiing a few times during our stay. The early (9:00am) snorkel tour is probably better as the wind picks up later in the day making the ocean a bit choppy. There is a great reef just offshore though with lots of little colorful fish. The boat that went out before ours saw a pod of dolphins and manta rays.

We also partook in the sunset cruise on the Red Dread (Sandals Catamaran). It was a great tour of the bay with drinks and snacks included. A good time and the proceeds for this particular cruise went to the Sandals Foundation for Haiti relief.

There are also windsurfers, catamarans, tubing, wakeboarding, and scuba available. We didn’t try these but one of our neighbors went on a dive twice a day and loved it.

The Staff:
This was our first trip to Jamaica and I have to say the people are some of the most lovely and happy individuals we have ever met. Our room attendant (Pauline) was so wonderful and would greet us with a smile and a hug every day. Everyone says good morning or hello and makes sure you are happy and having a good time. Even the night guard would say hello and visit with us briefly while walking to his post.

Butler Service:

We didn’t really use our Butlers in that we didn’t contact them much on the phone we were given. We did have to call them on our first full day because we wanted to make dinner reservations and request a late checkout. We did get the dinner reservations arranged by the next day but no luck on the late check out. They would surprise us with the odd delight (chilled wine in our room, drawn bubble bath, candles when we got home from dinner) and seemed to notice our patterns and work around them. Some of the other butlers assigned to our neighbors went much more out of their way reserve beach chairs, bring drinks on the beach, checking in on them proactively each day. So I think the level of service you receive from your Butler depends on who you get assigned to you. No complaints though – I was happy to have that room with or without Butler service and could quite easily get off my butt to fetch my own drink and beach chair : )

Concerns in other reviews:

The planes passing overhead are really not that bad. I imagine it must be a bit of a shock if you were to make reservations at this hotel and not realize how close to the airport it is. However, knowing this was the case, I prepared my husband who is quite sensitive to noise and it didn’t bother either of us. I heard one plane in the middle of the night but other than that, it was a few planes during the day. They were actually quite interesting to watch and as others have noted, it reminds you that you have precious time to enjoy your surroundings before you have to leave.

We did encounter one vendor in his boat on our first day and he was calling out to us when he first saw us. We were a bit worried he’d be there calling us at our room every day all day but we went and spoke to him right away and told him we’d purchase something during the week. After that, he left us alone and we made good on our word and bought 2 necklaces to bring home a few days later. After that it would be a quick hello and nothing more.

There were a couple of musicians who came by our suite one evening, before they entertained at the main lobby. They played us a couple of songs and we did give them a small tip to say thanks.

Long wait times?
We never experienced long wait times at any of the restaurants or bars. Our reservations process was easy but we were spoiled with a Butler to arrange them for us. We usually dined early (between 6 and 7).

In summary, I would definitely recommend the resort and if possible, a Bay Roc suite. We were lucky to get a good deal on this room category as we normally wouldn’t be able to afford it. I genuinely believe it made for a better experience though as the view and private beach were like having your own private residence attached to all of the other amenities (best of both worlds).

We met so many great people (Jamaicans and other guests). If you talk to the other guests, you’ll find people who have been there 40 + times who can give you some perspective on the other resorts and interesting tid bits.

We would definitely go back to this hotel if given the chance, but as mentioned, this was a bit of a stretch on the budget and somewhat less likely if I hadn’t received such a good price on the package. It was a wonderful introduction to Jamaica and I sure hope to return one day soon.

I do have some info on Private Tours and Excursions so if you have questions about these or require more information on the hotel, please feel free to send me a message.

Happy Travels!