6,646 results
All reviews palms building our honeymoon cucina romana oleander room almonds building stew fish tokyo joes butler service piano bar bayside restaurant cafe de paris royal caribbean close to the airport main bar water skiing water sports play makers
Selected filters
Reviewed April 26, 2006

First of all, I was a little worried after reading some reviews on this site. Do not be...we had a great time. The service from the people that work there was fantastic. Anything you wanted with a big smile on their faces. Food was average for an all inclusive...make your reservations at specialty places and you will really like the food. Our room overlooked the ocean with a balcony that we used every day. A little small, but after all, how much time do you spend in your room anyway? The beach is great, pool great (hardly anyone there during the day). Now as far as the planes going over, I do not see the big deal at all. After the first day, it is not a big deal. There are not that many at all. I really think anyone writing bad reviews of this place are most likely snobs and maybe this is not the place for you.This was my wifes and I first vacation w/o kids and it was fun!! We have been to many other Carribean spots, but this was great. Evening entertainment a little weak...perhaps suggest go somewhere else (another Sandals)

15  Thank Journey33527
Reviewed April 24, 2006

It was our first time in Jamaica and at an all-inclusive resort, so we didn't really know what to expect. We stayed at SMB 4/20-4/23 during reunion week. They have a classy, air-conditioned waiting area at the airport exclusively for Sandals guests, where you can freshen up, sit on the couch and have beverages, which was great after flying redeye from LAX. We waited a few minutes for the 10 minute bus ride that took us to the resort. Yes, it's that close to the airport, but the noise is no big deal, and there is a cute tradition of stopping and waving when planes fly by!

We arrived at the resort at 6:30 am and immediately felt the warmth of the staff. The staff is extremely attentive. Each employee greeted us, pampered us and joked around with us like they've known us for years. Even though they say check-in is at 3:00pm, we were able to drop off our bags (thanks to Carlton!), eat at the breakfast buffet, make reservations for tours, dinner and watersports, and check into our beautiful waterfront concierge room (with a stocked bar, jetted tub and patio w/ a private jacuzzi) all by 10:00am!

The beach is absolutely gorgeous with cool, soft, white sand, clear blue water, and several activities or areas to lay in the sun or shade. The staff will approach you kindly if you look remotely confused and make sure you are well informed of the available activities. New to watersports? When we tried kayaking, the wind picked up and flipped us over. The life guard rushed over in a speedboat, brought us to safety and retrieved our kayak. When we tried snorkeling, the staff helped set up our gear and let me hang onto the side of the boat until I was ready to take the plunge 20 minutes later!

Restaurants are great at Sandals. The breakfast buffet has a made-to-order omelette bar, a variety of American foods, and a little taste of Jamaica foods. The restaurants onsite were booked for dinner the first night, so we had a free transfer to Royal Thai restaurant at Sandals Royal Carribbean, 10 minutes away on an offshore island. A photographer took our pictures during sunset, and we were welcomed with cocktails, and served an appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert from their gourmet menu. Excellent quality, service and plate presentation! We also ate Jamaican cuisine at the elegant Oleander Room on our second night, which had great food, but small portions and i had to use a butter knife to cut lamb shanks. Cucina Romana, an open-air restaurant upstairs, served delicious Italian cuisine with larger portions, complimentary wine, and a pleasant atmosphere. I recommend the 6 pm seating for a gorgeous view of the sunset over the ocean. Be sure to bring semi-formal clothes as there are dress codes for dinner! If you're on the beach, and don't feel like dressing up, the Irie grill has great burgers, fries, and jerk chicken/pork.

If you want to try an exciting excursion, do the canopy tour, where you glide through the jungle from cables hundreds of feet above ground. The tour guides, Fitz and Dervon, are hilarious! We also did the river rafting, where we paddled for 2 hrs, swung on a rope into the river and soaked in the fountain of youth. Not so exciting when the river is low, so you may want to save $80/person for something else fun and less expensive like the party cruise to margaritaville. Everyone came back dancing and hollering after that tour!

Other fun activities included couples basketball, a newlywed game, and various other sports and activities for lovers. Playmakers (Phyll and Shaniel) make it so much fun! On our last day, check out time was at 11:00am, and our flight back to LA was at 4:00pm. We still had time to eat both breakfast and lunch, go snorkeling again, buy souvenirs, shower and change before our 1:00pm bus ride back to the airport! Not bad for a 3-night stay! Time goes by so slowly in Jamaica, mostly because of the stress-free, laidback atmosphere. At SMB, love is all you need. The staff will take care of the rest! We are definitely coming back!

25  Thank cher3pie
Reviewed April 21, 2006

My wife and I recently returned from Sandals MoBay after a 5 day stay. It was our 1st trip to Sandals and it was fantastic. It was not our first trip to Jamaica and we have been in another all-inclusive.

First, let me post the negatives. After we arrived, and after a ~40 minutes processing time by immigration, we proceeded to the Sandals Greeting Center where you have an opportunity to sit down, rest and have some drinks. You will be greeted by a Sandals hostess and your bags are immediately color-tagged to indicate the chosen destination resort, and placed at the entrance (your bags are safe while you are inside). A short time later, your destination is announced by a Sandals rep. This is where we made our mistake. We heard our resort name and proceeded through the double doors toward the buses. Note that once you cross this threshold, you will not be allowed back through this exit due to security. This was a problem because, even though our bags were safe, you are supposed to follow the bags, not only to identify & tip the porter, but more importantly, to assure that the bags will be loaded in the bus you are riding. Our mistake was that we left the center too prematurely and therefore we found ourselves waiting outside for the porter who had our bags. The hostess was not clear on the procedure. This wait extended to around 20 minutes since he was waiting for additional MoBay customers. This was the time that both my wife and I could have enjoyed inside the center, (not outside). This was our major negative and it was more our fault. (I think we were just too eager to start our vacation quickly and it backfired). After this, we got into the bus with our bags.

Once we arrived at the resort, no more than a 10 min trip, we were immediately greeted by a very courteous Sandals rep who took us to the welcoming room. This is where we were provided with a quick introduction, champagne and where we approved our signature cards (for incidental expenses). A short time after this, we were taken to our rooms and our vacation began. Our room category was Grande Lux Beachfront, housed at the Palms Building 3rd floor, facing the beach. It had a great view all day but specially at sundown. It was a quick hop to the volleyball court, my favorite spot. BTW, this was our first Sandals and we were not upgraded.

We found a very positive experience with everyone working for Sandals. There is always a smile and an eagerness to help. This in my opinion is the best asset of Sandals MoBay. Of course, the beach is absolutely perfect, not terribly big but private and with an appropriate size. I can recommend Duncan in the bar, Alecia (one of the playmakers), Martin at the Italian restaurant, and others I wish I could recall. Thanks to the staff in Tokyo Joe's who made my day with an impromptu birthday celebration my wife had arranged through the reservation desk. They took care of the coordination with a dinner reservation we had at Tokyo Joe's. The areas are clean, the Jacuzzis are well kept and frequently chlorinated.

The food was good but don't expect gourmet level. We had great service and well prepared meals in every restaurant. I liked the Oleander the best followed by the Italian and Tokyo Joe's, (my wife's favorite was the Italian). The breakfast was arranged as a buffet with an omelet station, by the Bayside Terrace. By the way, there is definitely an enforced dress code for men at Tokyo Joe's and at the Italian restaurant. But you can use dressy shorts and closed toe shoes, (check this before going). The drinks are great and they'll prepare any way you want. We saw some people with their own plastic containers. My wife liked her drinks with moderate alcohol while I can take them stronger. But sometimes I preferred my wife's softer drinks while I gave her the stronger ones. Jamaica smile, Prosperity 2006 (a made-up name? by Duncan), Miami Vice were among our favorites.

What to say about the airplanes and the proximity to the airport? It is true that this resort is very close to the airport and that you will hear every departing airplane, but after a while they are not a bother. In fact, we adopted the waving tradition for good luck, and we were even waving at them when we were inside our room. This of course is very subjective, and you should consider it when selecting the resort. I had not experienced any other Sandals so my next comment is based on other people's opinion. This resort is more geared towards people who want to be more active. But don't think that you must participate in everything. This is not the case. But you can be lazy as my wife was (her words).

The other plus in our stay at MoBay is the people who selected this resort. With very, very few exceptions, the people were great, very friendly. I was one of the volleyball players and I had my fill with this activity. We did exactly what we wanted to do and skipped the activities we didn't want. Regarding the shows, some are good and some need work, especially the Sandal's skits. My take on this, if my wife or I don't like the show, we just move on to another area in the resort and proceed to do another activity, like drinking!

Regarding the vendors at the beach, I agree with most reviewers, treat everyone with respect, smile and say "no thanks" when you don't want to be bothered. I can speak Spanish and sometimes I used it to get away from the situation. But Sandals keeps them at bay.

One final word, this place provided us with the right environment to read, play, and interact with other couples. The food was acceptable and the service was great. Ya mon! I can return to this Sandals, but if we don't it is because we want to try other Sandals in the Caribbean!

30  Thank Wanderer2785
Reviewed April 17, 2006

Both my wife and I had a wonderful time, this was our second trip to Mo'Bay and just like the first it was worth every cent. The staff pampers you from the time you arrive until the time you depart. We came back with another couple who was visiting for the first time and they had a blast. I hope my wife and I can make this an annual trip. NO IVORY!!!!!!

Date of stay: March 2006
8  Thank Culture37023
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Stayed at SMB 4-12 thru 4-15. Booked a deluxe room, did not get an upgrade. It was above the kitchen for the Bayside Rest. and next to the skydome where nightly entertainment occurred. Location of room was great as far as being close to food, entertainment, pool and beach. Not good if you wanted to go to sleep early. Condition of room was fine but probably one of the oldest on the property. Service was great all over the resort. Food, I thought, was great but I am not that picky. Beach was somewhat small compared to other destinations but probably one of the larger ones that I saw in the Bay. Very nice with plenty of chairs available. Enjoyed participating in the Beach Olympics held by the staff. Drinks were great all over the resort. Had to check out early on final day even though we had a late flight but they have a departure lounge where you can shower, watch TV, etc. until you leave.

12  Thank ccbulldog