“Amazing!”

Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Chicago IL
“Amazing!”
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Sandals Montego Bay was our best vacation ever! Everything from the service, the beach, the drinks, the rooms, the other guests were nothing short of wonderful. My boyfriend and I got engaged on the beach our 1st night there, we were so impressed and happy with the resort, we are going back there next year for our wedding!
Yes the airport is close but after the 1st couple of planes that take off, you don't even notice them. They have a tradition that if and when you see a plane take off, you wave them goodbye and kiss your partner. It made it so much more romantic!
It is such a romantic place, we can't imagine going anywhere else.
Don't listen to the negative reviews, if you want a resort where they treat you like royality and only want you to enjoy yourself, go to Sandals Montego Bay!

3 Thank ccbkd2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
SAINT LOUIS
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Our stay at Montego Bay was great. As stated by other guests, our room was upgraded to the Honeymoon suite. It included a whirlpool and our own patio. The employees were the nicest ever. Ricardo was the bartender for the Pub and he was the best. Our wedding coordinator, Lisa Marie was so helpful. With our $$ being tight, we decided to video tape the ceremony ourselves. The resort said that they were not allowed to touch the equipment but Lisa-Marie was kind enough to help us with the equipment during the ceremony. The photographer even agreed to wait an hour before taking pictures because it was pretty humid that day. The staff made our day even more special.

Everything else was great. The food was fine. I am very picky but my husband says it was great. Definately head out to the snack bar on the beach. The jerk chicken and beans and rice was to die for. The locals do try to harrass you to purchase items (they swim up and are not allowed on the beach so they hang out in the water) The resort has friendly vendors located on the beach for guests. I would suggest purchasing from them. DO NOT USE THE PHONE SERVICE. We were charged $80 for two phone calls totally 15min or less. They credited my account for half but it is a rip off. Our phones immediately stopped working when we reached the resort so this was the only option in contacting family.
Overall, we absolutely enjoyed our stay. We are currently planning our anniversary trip to Sandals again. This time we will try a different resort for variety!! Well worth the pay.

3 Thank MizzBLC
southampton uk
Reviewed October 19, 2009

this is the first time ive ever had to write about a hotel and how bad it is. i feel the service is like no where else but for all the wrong reasons,for example how many bars do you go to and they cant give you a drink because they have no glasses,finishing dinner and they start to take the salt and pepper and the table cloth away. the staff shout and whistle at each other all day from great distances ,laying on the beach whilst staff ride at full speed on a atv spraying sand everywhere,i orderd my wife a birthday cake which never arrived and im still waiting at home for the concierge to get back to me which as im back home now i doubt he will do,they say its 10 mins from the airport this is only because you have to drive around the runway to get to the other side.the food is of a sub standard as well as the staff not once where we offerd a drink around by the pool or after are meal,we even had one meal which we were half way through before we got are drinks,anyway i could go on and on but please take note sandals are living off there name and where top holidays maybe 10 years ago not anymore very dissapointing. the only one who deserves a mention was the cleaner done a fantastic job shame the hotel doesnt show the same enthusiasm,please read between these lines i dont moan at everything you might have a different experience but this was just mine.

5 Thank terrano33
Bismarck North Dakota
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We went to Sandals for our 10 year anniversary and my husbands birthday. It was the honeymoon we never got to take. I couldn't have asked for better. Our rooms were clean and quite nice, there was always some type of watersport to do, everyone knew our names and said hi. The service from the bartenders was unreal. I would walk in the door and they knew what I wanted and would already be making my drink. Latisha was our favorite. I told her I wanted to do something special for my husband on his birthday so she told me not to worry about it she would take care of it. She surprised my husband on his birthday with a bottle of Appleton Rum, a bottle of Champagne and two glasses, flowers, and 6 different gifts along with a card in our room. She was such a sweatheart. We went sailing everyday...it was my favorite. We took one day to go snorkeling for the first time which was the best and we took a few tours. The only thing that the resort could change is the food. I would have loved to taste more Jamaican food than American food and the portion sizes were on the small side. There was a few nights after eating supper we had to go to the bar and get something else to eat because my husband was still starving. Altogether though our trip was wonderful. I cried when we had to leave. If I could go back every year I would.

1 Thank ND_Vacationers
NJ
Reviewed October 16, 2009

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay and we had the most amazing time. I was actually nervous about going after reading some of the reviews from other travelers, but our trip was incredible. We stayed in the Bay Roc Suites which are situated towards the end of the resort - This was nice because at night you didn't hear the entertainment by the restaurants or the entertainment by the pool bar. The room was beautiful with a four poster bed and a separate shower and a jacuzzi tub. Our room backed right up to the ocean, and we highly recommend the butler Carlene. She was phenominal! She reserved chairs at the pool for us, always brought us drinks during the day, and even if we didn't need her she always called to check in. There was always a cold bottle of champagne in our room waiting for us, and one day she surprised us with a rose petal bubble bath! After dinner on our last night we came back to our room and the bed was covered in rose candles with candles on the end tables and a bottle of champagne. It was so romantic! :)

The staff was always friendly and accomodating and the food was really good, with plenty of variety. The two pools on the property aren't the largest but they're by no means terrible, and the beach is huge so I think that makes up for the pool sizes.

There are plenty of activities throughout the day and during the evenings, but the great thing about Sandals is you can choose to participate in everything or do nothing at all. We mostly chose to hang out in the pool with the bar and in the mornings and early afternoons that pool remained relatively quiet.

I read some reviews where people said the hotel is dated compared to other Sandals, but I saw nothing about the resort that would make me think "this is definitely the first Sandals ever built". I previously stayed at the Sandals in the Bahamas and we visited the Royal Caribbean for part of the day and I don't think they looked any different than the Sandals in Montego Bay. On a side note, the Royal Caribbean was much smaller than MoBay and we weren't impressed. The private island there is tiny and there is concrete slab seperating the beach from the ocean.

There are two things that you have to get used to at this resort - the planes and the hagglers along the water on the beach. The hotel is is located right across the street from the airport - no joke, but it's really not a big deal. The planes are on a schedule and once you're there you get used to them. They are loud but it honestly lasts 5 seconds and than they're gone. Only one plane goes off really early and that was usually between 7 and 7:15 (it didn't bother us because we were already up and getting ready for the day). After that only 2 or 3 will go off every couple of hours and by 6 or 7 they stop taking off for the day. It's not every 5 minutes of the day planes are taking off - and they go by so fast that it's over in a matter of seconds.
The second thing you have to get used to are the hagglers on the beach. You will see the same 5 people in the same spots day in and day out at the resort. They stay along the water's edge and they don't walk up on the beach. I can tell you that if you don't buy anything from them they will remember you and they will harass you, but they also remember when you bought something and they don't harass you as much. When we first arrived my husband bought a necklace for him and an anklet for me from one of the them - which we wore the entire trip - and that helped stop the harassing. If you give them a firm no thank you they take the hint, but don't stop and hesitate and definitely don't get lured into a conversation with them because that's how they get you. Ladies they call you "princess" and once you're wearing jewelry from them they say, "you a Jamerican now mon".

All in all we had an awesome vacation and we would definitely go back to Sandals Montego Bay. The people in Jamaica are all about relaxing and having no worries and that's exactly what our honeymoon was.

3 Thank AloveA75
Woolwich, NJ
Reviewed October 15, 2009

AMAZING! Let me start by saying that on the plane ride into Montego Bay, the pilot asked everyone who was on their honeymoon raise their hand, only two hands on the entire 737 were not raised. When we got to the airport, there is a Sandals check in office right there through customs, we had drinks in our hands within 1 minute after passing through customs. We then got on the bus and were at Sandals MoBay in about 5 mins. As a side note, the Jamaicans will make it very obvious that you are supposed to tip anyone and everyone who does anything what-so-ever for you who is not employed directly by Sandals.
When we got to the resort, our room was not ready, so we went to the beach bar, ate and drank until it was, we were upgraded to the Honeymoon Grande Luxe Oceanview, which had a beautiful view, but is no different from any of the other rooms. The rooms are small, but nice and the free booze in the mini-fridge came in very handy. The resort itself is amazing, you do whatever you want, whenever you want. We didn't do many of the shows or group activities, but made some friends who we drank, ate, and partied with quite a bit. The drinks were great, bars were good (especially the swim-up bar, where we spent alot of time), but the food was a little lack luster. It was fancy, but had very small portions. The beach was our favorite part of the resort, absolutely beautiful with plenty of rooms for everyone, and was never that crowded in the first place. I would strongly recommend the zip-line canopy tour, which is about 30 mins away via bus (through not-so-nice parts of jamaica), and the free snorkling was great. We went to Tokyo Joe's, which was OK, Oleander, which was OK, the seafood restaurant is a converted pavilion on the beach which was really cool. The food was great and out table was in the sand 10 feet from the water. We went shopping at the Hip Strip, which i would avoid, you get non-stop harrassed by the locals. There was not alot of night life at Sandals MoBay, and everything was deserted by midnight, but it was cool to sit on the beach at night and smoke a cigar with a nice cognac and relax. Just watch out for the local vendors in their canoes, they will try and pressure you to but from them. Don't buy cigars, coffee or liquor from the resort or locals, it is MUCH cheaper at the airport before you go home. I have heard people complain about the planes overhead, they are not bad and dont fly early in the morning or late at night, they didn't bother us in the least. It was really nice being that close to the airport. Overall it was a perfect honeymoon and i would strongly recommend, but make sure you book through sandals for the great deals, we met other people who spent three times as much for the same room!

3 Thank xaturnascends
Leicestershire
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My wife and I have travelled to such wonderful locations as Kauai, Mexico, and the Maldives in the last few years and were looking forward to Sandals Montego Bay adding to that wonderful roster.

Our expectations from the marketing the UK receives around Sandals meant we were looking forward to an idyllically romantic Caribbean get away – how wrong we were!

1) The resort is virtually in the airport, 25+ flights per day with constant noise
2) 3 Star + at best and certainly no 5 star resort
3) Watch they dont fly you into Kingston (its a 4 hour transfer)
4) The staff are always on the look out for tips, beware!
5) The beach is actually pretty small
6) There are 5 or more weddings per day ... its non stop
7) The toliets have AC but the gym didnt ... go figure
8) The resort is more Spring Break (and nothing wrong with that for a few days in Daytona Beach) but not for two weeks having gone to Montego Bay for peace and quiet.
9) Montego Bay is to Americans what Magaluff is to the Brits ... you have been warned.

Worse holiday ever ....