“Sandals is a Wonderful Resort Can't wait to go back!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed December 27, 2005

I have been reading all the reviews about Sandals Mo Bay. After seeing some of them I have to add mine in here because after reading some of them if I never went there I would be affraid to go.
The resort is not a new one but it is kept up and real beautiful & clean.
The food was very good. It was bland (as far as salt & pepper) but not everyone likes salt & pepper. Thats why you add your own.
The water sports were fantastic.
The rooms did have a musty smell, but have you been to any other parts of the carribean? ALL the resorts (rooms) on the (and I mean different Islands Mexico, Bahamas ETC.) Islands I have been to have a slight musty smell. It dosent take a rocket sientist to figure out that it is from all the humidity and the heat! And I have been many different places.
The entertainment was nice and what you made out of it.
The beaches were kept beautiful.
The shopping in town was great!
The staff was VERY friendly & helpful.
The planes they are loud but who cares???
We met other couples and all of us had the time or our lives and plan on returning.
YOU DIFENATLY GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH OUT OF SANDAL'S MO BAY! If anyone has any dought about going due to the complainers, feel free to email me.
CANT WAIT TO GO BACK!

• Stayed: October 2005
31  Thank HarleyWild
There are newer reviews for Sandals Montego Bay

Reviewed December 26, 2005

We just got back from the most wonderful vacation at the Sandals Montego Bay. Here is our review:

Check in/Check out: When we got to the resort, we were given champagne and told that we were upgraded to a honeymoon suite. It was a great room and a great suprise. Check out took all of five minutes. It was painless.

Food: Overall, we thought the food was good. The Oleander Room was excellent.

Activities: The watersports that they have on site were awesome. We took full advantage of almost everything that they had available. They have 2 tennis courts and a tennis pro on site. We played tennis once and the court was really nice. The gym was lacking a bit and did not have air conditioned. It was very hard to work out in the heat. The big activity at the resort was the beach volleyball. There was always tons of people playing and it was great way to meet people. The evening activities were a mix of great music and comedy. We tended not to take part in the late night activities as we were exausted from the full day of sun and fun. However, they have a piano bar and a disco.

Staff: The staff were absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!

Again, it was a great vacation and we can't wait to go back. If you have any questions, please email us at langermelanie@aol.com

Melanie and Jon

23  Thank langermelanie
Reviewed December 25, 2005

I read most of the reviews before my wife and I decided to book a 4 night stay at Sandals, Montego Bay. We were celebrating our 20th anniversary so we wanted something special. We have spent time in the Bahamas, St Thomas, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Bermuda, Mexico and literally hundreds of places in the US and Canada. I must say that there was a tiny amount of truth to the most of the negative reviews we read. However we had a great time!

How we assessed others negatives:

We found the Staff to be very friendly and accommodating. There were a couple of staff that didn’t seem to be engaged but heck….. we all have a bad day once in a while and they were by far, the minority. The playmakers were there to keep you active and to fend off boredom. They only ask if you wanted to play and if you didn’t, “no problem mon”. We were never bothered by bugs. We did see a few very small ants in our bathroom but they were not an issue. No one EVER tried to sell us drugs! The planes were not a problem for us. They do fly low next to the resort but they were not a bother. We only tipped the bag guys at the airport and the shuttle driver! AND we got plenty of good attention from every Sandals employee we encountered! The bar tenders are very special. We did not see how anyone could find fault in them? The local vendors on the water were no problem either. If you did not want to buy from them, a firm no thanks was all it took to send them looking for other potential customers. The food was only average. We did not like Tokyo Joes. The atmosphere was nice but we thought the food was bland at best. The other restaurants were fine. The beef was terrible. The fish we had was excellent! The chicken was excellent! The buffet was a good buffet. Not excellent but good.

What we booked:

We were there the middle of December 2005. We booked a Honeymoon Suite on the beach(652) and it was large, clean, and well equipped. The bar was well stocked every day with local brands of alcohol, water and soft drinks. We had a concierge room and found that to be a nice touch. Everything we ask for was taken care of promptly. We walked out our door into a small garden and then the beach! The beach was well maintained. It was cleaned every morning and was cleared of drinking cups etc. constantly all day every day.

What we did:

We came for the beach and the solitude. We found both to be very nice. We did use the beach toys once and they were fun. We took a snorkeling trip and we booked a cruise on the catamaran. All were fun. The snorkeling is very good. We went to the beach party put on by Sandals and it was fun. Other than these things we spent our days on the beach and in the water.

Our final thoughts:

Attend the orientation soon after you arrive. It’s put on twice a day and will help you better understand the resort and what it has to offer. Slow down. You’re on vacation. Try not to be in a hurry. Things move a little slower on the island. If you want a stronger drink ask the bartender to double up. They will gladly do that. Do avoid the beef. Remember that you are booking a medium priced all-inclusive. You will be well taken care of but you will not have your every whim catered to on the spot by your personal valet………:o) The resort is fun if you let it be. Its not perfect but is a good value for the money you will spend. We hope this helps. Our stay was great and we will visit again!

The Murdock's; Greenville, SC

34  Thank davemurdock
A TripAdvisor Member
Bonita, CA (San Diego area)
Reviewed December 25, 2005

Had a great time at Sandals Montego Bay, Jamaica (Montego Bay is known to the locals as "MoBay"). We went the week before Christmas 2005, and it was a great time to go, as the resort was not that busy. Apparently the week after Christmas is quite busy - according the the staff we talked to, they were expecting a lot more guests - you may want to avoid a trip here between Christmas and New Year's. The beach vista is breathtaking, absolutely beautiful. Our room was just a few steps from the beach, with a volleyball court in the sand when you walk out first, then the water. Yes, there are planes taking off over the resort, and they are fairly loud when you are outside, but never a big negative. You really get accustomed to it, and it actually adds to the "happening" ambiance of the place. Inside our room, the planes were somewhat audible, though not loud; they never woke us up when we were sleeping. And some days, because of the time difference between San Diego (where we live) & Montego Bay, 3 hours, we slept until past 10am. The food varied by restaurant, from very average to quite good. The Christmas Eve buffet was wonderful, and included turkey, cranberry sauce, roast beef and ham. Because we "slept in" a lot, we only got to the breakfast twice at the Bayside restaurant, which is the main place to eat. Breakfast there was really good too. They even had french toast, which a lot of local brunches, here in San Diego, don't even offer. We never went to the Tokyo Joe's restaurant, a Japanese place. A more formal dinner resturant, The Oleander, was quite good. My wife tends to be quite the food critic, and she liked a lot of the food we ate. Remember, this resort is all-inclusive, and you can get just as much food and drinks as you want. There was an Italian restaurant too, we went once, didn't like it too much. The service there in that restaurant (only) was slow, but the service everywhere else in the resort, in other restaurants, at the front desk, bars, etc., was some of the best I've ever experienced anywhere. I've seen this in other reviews of Sandals Montego Bay, and it's very true: The people who work at this resort are extremely friendly and helpful. The staff is quite knowlegdeable and always can find the answer to your question. Even in the gift shop. And speaking of the gift shop, prices there were quite reasonable, actually comparable to a typical store in the U.S., not overpriced like a lot of resort gift shops tend to be - they don't "soak" you in this store - my wife even bought a bikini for quite a bit less than she would have paid at the mall stores in San Diego. Overall we had a great time and were sad to leave, as we feel we had a great holiday. I'll include some pictures we took that give you a look at Sandals Montego Bay - and as they say in MoBay, "yeah Mon!"

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed December 22, 2005

Sandals was everything we expected for a reasonably priced all-inclusive weekend in the Caribbean. My husband & I normally vacation all inclusive in Mexico but because of the recent hurricane our trip to Playa Del Carmen was changed to Montego Bay.

This is what I thought:

THE GROUNDS were immaculate. And the flora and fauna was beautiful. I actually saw a mongoose run across the garden one afternoon. How cute!

THE STAFF was very friendly and always greeted you when they passed you on the grounds. One night I wanted to just relax in my room while a quick rain shower came through and the bartender gave my husband a bottle of wine for us to enjoy that evening in our room. I thought that was very nice.

THE ROOMS were nice and accommodating. We had a beautiful view from our lanai.

THE FOOD was ok. I don’t understand why people expect 5 star dining when it’s all inclusive. You must consider all inclusive dining to be equivalent to that of banquet style dining. Tokyo Joe’s was ok; it’s comparable to a Mongolian Grill if you have those restaurants in your area. I’ll be honest, the Italian restaurant was horrible, it had ambiance and that’s about it. The breakfast and lunch buffet was just fine. They had plenty to choose from. Everything from salads to pizza. You definitely will not starve. The mixed drinks were very yummy. Try a Jamaican Smile.

OK as far as THE PLANES………....geez I don’t get the big deal. Yes it’s just across from the airport and yes the planes are very close. However the noise lasts for all of 20 seconds. It’s not that big of a deal. And they only fly over in the afternoons. We actually got a really cool picture of me in the water w/ a plane taking off just over my head, unfortunately I couldn’t attach that one, but I thought it was pretty cool and everyone we show can’t believe how close they are, but still it’s not that big of a deal.

What I loved about Jamaica was the laid back “no worries” attitude of the locals.

Keep in mind this is an all adult establishment and it is pretty much a party place around the swim-up bar during the day. But hey didn’t we come here to have fun??? There’s not a lot to do at night so I recommend going into town. The disco at the resort was pretty lame, I have to admit. The staff did really try to get everyone up and dancing but it’s just not that happening of a place. We went into town and hit the local casino and I actually did pretty well. Don’t let the reviews scare you about the locals approaching you w/ drugs. They simply ask if you need anything. (And from the moment you hit the ground at the airport they will.) If you tell them no they will leave you alone. No big deal.

I wouldn’t recommend staying at this location longer than 5-6 days unless you do excursions on the island. And I definitely wouldn’t do 2 weeks like some. There’s just not that much to do. The snorkeling was fun and the catamarans were as well. And where else can you scuba for free??????

This place was very relaxing and accommodating. I would definitely vacation w/ SANDALS again.

27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington D.C.
Reviewed December 20, 2005

Had I read the reviews I would not have selected this facility.

I bought the Sandals hype. I was so excited about this vacation, just the wife and I for 7 nights.

I realize now that your experience here is soley based upon where you are and where you have been. This resort caters to middle America. In talking to other guests they do not travel much, so there paradigm was very different than mine.

If you have cruised, you will be very disappointed in the food and the service here. The staff is hit or miss depending on what kind of day they are having. They say no tipping, but if you don't tip your service will be impacted.

The website talks about premium drinks, etc. Well if your taste calls for a beer that is not Red Stripe, forget about it. If your taste calls for a rum that is not the local brand, forget about it. If your taste calls for a marguirita, forget about. Do you get my drift...

We were extremely disappointed with Sandals (based upon the hype)and will not return or recommend it to any of our friends. It is a simple place, for simple people.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 18, 2005

While overall decent in terms of rooms and decor, the food, service and the constant airplane noise is another chapter all together... The shows are fun and the entertainment staff is young and energetic.

The runway is right outside the resort gates and is quite busy. The planes are constantly taking off and it is unbearable at times since you can't relax even inside your room, not to mention at the beach or pool. You can actually see the planes taking off when you are at the tennis courts or 3rd floor balconies.

The food is another sticky point. There are a few establishments however the food served is pretty much the same, ranging from Japanese to Italian, same dishes on the menu offered under different names. No healthy choices offered at all. Mostly choices of "Junk Food" and lots of breaded fried options. Very skimpy selection of fish and salads. Vegetarian concept is completely lost there and a concept of coffee is as well. None of the restaurant serve it other then self service by the bar. Most of the dishes are poorly prepared with heavy sides and overcooked at times. A few fish selections offered were terribly overcooked and very disappointing.

We would not return to this resort and wouldn't reccomend it to others.

10  Thank Nalrud