“Ya Mon Sandals Mo-Bay all the way!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Long Island, New York
Reviewed May 6, 2005

My wife and I just returned from our stay at Sandals Mo_Bay. We were there from 04/30/05-05/03/05. DON'T BELEIVE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS. The resort is fantastic. Beautiful grounds, beautful beach, wonderful staff. The planes do fly a little low, but after about a half a day my wife and I hardly noticed them. The grounds are wonderfully manicured, with lots of georgous flowers and trees. The beach and water are pristine and wonderful. The food was very good with breakfast and lunch being decent, and dinner being the highlight. We did not however care for the OK CORAL. Bayside dinner was the best. If you like spiy JAMACIAN try the fish and chicken. The akee and cod fish was spectacular. Our room in the SEAGRAPES block was very nice and clean. we always had a clean room with new towels before noon each day. The maids even left flowers on our pillows every day. The staff was wonderful. They always went out of their way to accomodate our every request and seemed to strive to do anything to make our stay one to remember. This resort is very guest oriented. They are trained to respond to and resolve any request you have, and anything we asked for we got right away, and I mean right away. Even the airport was a pleasure. When you arrive, there is an air conditioned lounge with couches and a beer tap for you to wait in untill you are taken to the resort. This was our second time at a Sandals resort (ANTIGUA being the other wonderful peice of paradise) and we will always be returning Sandals guests forever. Do yourself a favor and come to Jamaica and make sure its Sandals MO-BAY. A little side note however. We visited Sandals Royal Carribean and I have to say it was terrible. I won't go into details but stay away. MO-BAY is infinitly better.

Sandals MO-BAY all the way YA MON!

• Stayed: May 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,584)

California
Reviewed May 3, 2005

My husband and I traveled to Montego Bay and absolutely loved it! Our room was to die for. The food was amazing. The beaches...flawless! We loved the people. Traveling to Montego Bay reminds you to slow down. Just remember Soon Come and No Pressure No Problem!!!!

PS
We miss you Grant and Santino!!!! Cheers!

IRE Man

• Stayed: August 2004
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 3, 2005

We just returned from a five day/four night vacation at Sandals Montego Bay. We had an excellent time all around, with no complaints. We had been forewarned about the noise of airplanes, after the first 2-3 planes, it was not a big deal - it evened out, as the ride from airport was less than 10 minutes! Some nice touches: the Sandals arrival lounge at airport, reception room at hotel/check-in process, excellent food at hotel (especially fresh-baked bread and desserts), plenty of lounge chairs on beach and loads of shady spots under palm trees, very clean room, piano bar/sing-a-long. We did not find the local natives selling beads, etc. annoying; they did not bother us as we did not engage in conversation with them, just a quick wave hello. In fact, one day, the local natives were allowed on property to sell their wares, which was great as I bought a lovely basket. The employees of the hotel cannot be nicer or more friendly. I am planning on a stay at another Sandals location, and would visit MoBay again.

Stayed: May 2005
10  Thank bchando
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed May 2, 2005

We just returned on April 28, 2005

GOOD POINTS
- This resort was fun all the time. Alot of things to do. Great Beach!
- Food was good. Great Jamaican/Carribean. There was some gourmet presentation and then burgers and fries.
- If you want to party this is the place. The Staff is very friendly and make the effort to help you have fun.
- Maid service was good even leaving a flower on our bed the first day.
- Sunsets were awesome!
- The diving was alot of fun, not many people at once, and the dive boat is onsite. The dive masters were awesome!
- Ladies, if you are worried about being in a bathing suit, don't be. There are all shapes and sizes. I felt very sexy as a size 14.
- The resort itself was a very comfortable atmosphere to hang out in.

BAD POINTS
- Our room had no alarm clock. I asked 3 times, but was ignored.
- I have never seen so many tatoos in one place (guests, not staff)
- The most important item to me was the proximity to airport. If you do not mind noise then no problem, mon. The planes take off (right over your head) from 7am to about 8pm daily. Since this resort is at the end of the runway, the noise of the planes drown out the music and conversation. I, personally could not get over this.... Every time a plane took off it made me cringe. Staying at the end of a runway for a week was not relaxing and not worth the $4K we paid to stay in paradise.
- Another downer were the bug bites. I saw other people with the same bites, but hardly read a comment about thebugs in other reviews. We never saw any bugs and do not know what they are. Bed bugs is all we could come up with because we came home and I was still getting new bites. I have had to bomb everything we brought back. We are still taking benedryl.
- The resort really frowns on late check out (11am) plan your flight accordingly.

• Stayed: April 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2005

I dont understand why people are writing horrible things about this hotel
it was wonderful I dont understand what is wrong with these people i guess they are just miserable people!!! Other readers dont go by what they say the only bad thing is the airport but it has its advantages especially if you have an evening flight My boyfriend and I's flight got delayed for 4 hours we were suppost to board at 5:45 but it turns out we didnt have to leave the resort until 845 because our flight got delayed until 930 so we got a whole extra day if you really think about it, its so its great that the airport is right around the corner TRUST ME!! It was excellent. And very realxing and about the jamaicans hitting on the other guests girlfriends so what take that as a complement geeze lighten up a little you are suppost to be on vacation. Oh one drink to ask for is a dirty banana and HECTORS special but find hector the bartender for that he hooks you up!!! HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!!

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank phlebotomist1112
taunton, Ma.
Reviewed April 26, 2005

Where do I begin? I will try to keep this brief, but believe me, I could go on and on! My husband and I vacationed at the Sandal's Montego Bay this year. It was a belated honeymoon for us, that we were very much looking forward to. We spent approximately $5,000 US on the entire trip. We booked one of the honemoon suites at the resort. We were promised a 3-piece luggage set, which we have yet to receive, months later. I just heard from our travel agent, and the 3rd request for this luggage has now be sent and should arrive in another 2 weeks (We'll see). The honeymoon suite also was to provide 24 hour concierge service. We had to repeatedly call for towels, our room was cleaned only twice during our entire weeks stay and at one point, my husband was so frustrated with the mess, he proceeded to clean it up himself and to put it outside the door; towels, glasses and trash. It stayed there all day. When we were walking around the suites, we noticed many people were doing the same, making for many bugs and insects. This was not what we considered concierge service. The concierge desk was very pleasant when we called, however, housekeeping fell shortl Next came the overall service that we began to experience. When we went for breakfast the first day, we couldn't get coffee. Then we couldn't get water. Then we couldn't get service at dinner, the overall service was either absent, very slow or inconsistant. After the 3rd day of poor service, we met a group from Boston, our home. After striking up a conversation, we voiced our dismay about the service. One of the gentlemen in the group gave us the lession on the "Secret Hand Shake". This was most upsetting to us! He told us that to get proper service, you need to have a pocket full of one dollar bills and give out the money accordingly before you are seated for dinner, drinks or room service!! Our question, as I am sure you are thinking about this, as you read........." Then what is all inclusive? "
Firstly, I don't tip prior to service, and I don't know many that do. Next, these employees are told not to accept tips. So, when it was given to them, as we witnessed, they hide it, and say ... "Don't Tell".
We spent some time with that group from Boston and we witnessed it over and over again. They were sat at the same time, next to us, received better service, better food, and left before us.... you see, I never did give that secret handshake, nor did my husband or I contemplate doing so. I felt that if this corporation boasts World Class Service in an All Inclusive environment, that should be the standard that they adhere to with all guests.
I should mention that there was one employee that stood out and never looked for the "Secret Hand Shake" and he provided us with great service. At the end of our stay, we looked for him and did provide him with a Tip, but this was after the fact and we felt if we wanted to seek someone out that went above and beyond, it should be our on our own accord.
My husband and I will never visit Sandals again, nor will we speak well of our experience. We have been in contact with the resort and its manager, we filled out all of the questionarres and no one has contacted us, apologized or offered anything in return for our terrible experience. Infact, as stated above, we haven't even received the luggage set and many people that were on the bus with us from the airport to the hotel had their luggage with them. They also booked the trip after us.
We will never be advocates of the resort at Montego Bay, the company of Sandal's or their recovery proceedures when a guest has a complaint. I am in the hospitality industry and have been for over 20 years. My husband has 10 years under his belt and I find it very difficult to understand why no one seems to care that a paying customer has a legitmate complaint. A complaint that goes against everything that they advertise themselves as.
An All Inclusive Resort.

• Stayed: March 2005
29  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 19, 2005

April 2005 Sandals Montego Bay “More Mo-Bay”

We enjoyed this years Reunion Week at Sandals Montego Bay, getting back (14th April 2005).
Although we stayed at other Sandals this was our first visit to Mo-Bay and they certainly make you feel welcome. Starting with Heather in Concierge who even called our room from time to time to make sure we were having a good time. The special reunion events, dinners and full days outing to the Rose Hall Beach Club with horseback riding all added to our memories of a fun week.

We stayed in one of the “cottages” which are located down by the piano swim-up bar. Our balcony looked right out on the beach and the Caribbean. These rather new rooms have a whirlpool/shower separate from the double sink vanity. The in-room mini bar, coffee maker and concierge service were nice amenities because Mo-Bay doesn’t have room-service.

Most people are aware that Montego Bay is parallel to the airport - the end of the runway is 100 yards behind the resort. Overhead aircraft noise can be very loud at times - although you get used to it and it didn't spoil our holiday at all. The landscaped grounds with its tropical flowers, beautiful fountains and large sandy clean beach add to the sense that you’ve escaped to a little bit of paradise.

The buffet food at Sandals Montego Bay is OK, nothing special, but enough variety that everyone will be able to find something they like for the week. The daily breakfast buffet at the Bayside is extensive with omelets made to order. The menu breakfast provided upstairs at the Cucina Romana overlooking the beach is quiet and relaxing with more personal service. The Beach Grill and extensive buffet at the Bayside are the lunch options with the main feature changing daily. For dinner choices Tokyo Joe’s (Japanese fare), the Bayside (International dinner menu), The Oleander (Jamaican dishes), O.K. Corral (Barbeque) and The Cucina Romana (Italian) provide varied choices for a different experience each evening depending on your mood and appetite.

More than the place itself, with all that it offers for every one’s individual tastes from many activities, water sports, etc. which we thoroughly enjoyed, it’s the staff at Mo-Bay that made our vacation so memorable and the reason why we plan to return for Reunion Week next year. We had heard that they get to know you by name after a day or two and what your drink preferences are and it’s true! They couldn’t have been more attentive. Some real “stand-outs” are Wayne, Gustave, Kennery, Orlando, John, Heather, Scott and Horace.

Stayed: April 2005