“worth every pennie!”

Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
minnesota
“worth every pennie!”
Reviewed April 17, 2005

After searching the net for a sandals vacation we decided on mo-bay! We are so happy we chose this resort. After arriving at the airport it only took about 10 min to get to the resort. We arrived not knowing what to expect and to our surprise they treat you like royalty. We opt to get the Deluxe Room, but were happy when we got to our room to notice we could see most of the resort from our window and a view of the ocean. The food was good for the most part, take time to try all of the restaurants. The entertainment was fun and exciting, they had a variety of different shows at night. If you want to be busy everyday on your vacation you can but you can also relax and do nothing. The beach was amazing!!! There was always enough chairs and was not overly crowded. The locals can get annoying wanting you to purchase necklaces,bracelets,etc. but you need to remember it is a poor country and they just need a little cash, once you tell them that you are not interested they leave you alone. The resort had so many watersports for you to choose from. Its so nice that this is an all-inclusive resort so you can try anything you want. We left the resort one day for the Dunn's River Falls trip and shopping, we would definitely pass next time on the shopping in Ocho Rios but the Dunn's Falls is Awesome! Our Honeymoon was amazing and we would suggest this resort to anyone! As far as the planes overhead it did not bother us as much as some people are explaining in reviews.

• Stayed October 2004
9 Thank djr313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,227)
Reviewed April 11, 2005

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay and we LOVED it. Granted, we're not seasoned jet-setters or anything like that (this was my first time even seeing the ocean...), but we couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon. I'd been to TripAdvisor about a million times and read all the reviews - good and bad - so I wasn't sure what to expect. Our flights were uneventful, and we arrived at the resort at about 5:00 in the evening. Our room was upgraded to the deluxe without our having to ask for it. It was nice - a little small, but I wouldn't pay for a larger room since we spent very little time in there, anyway. We saw no bugs in our room the entire time, but there were little lizards on the walls outside and hermit crabs everywhere! It was a little bit of a walk from the main beach and lobby/restaurant areas, but who really cares? The walk is beautiful, the weather is beautiful, and you're on vacation in Jamaica - no worries, no hurry!
Yes, it's right next to the airport, but that wasn't really a problem for us. I was nervous about that because I have an extreme fear of flying and airplanes (thank God for tranquilizers!!), but it didn't turn out to be an issue. I read some reviews that said planes were taking off at all times of the day and night, but my husband and I were never woken up by the noise, either at night or in the morning... It was really part of the experience and by the end of the first day we barely even registered the noise, except with a kiss (part of the tradition).
The beach was beautiful, there were always plenty of chairs and room on the dock. We just really loved the atmosphere - relaxed and casual. I've never been so relaxed, actually. I was warned by a friend that she felt like she was on Spring Break the whole time, but I didn't get that vibe at all. The Playmakers - staff whose job it is to get you involved, playing games, etc. - were fun and a little pushy at times, but we played a few of the games (something I resisted, but my husband insisted) and had a really good time and met a couple of other couples that way.
I will say that there are a lot of locals who sell goods and stuff right outside the roped-off swimming area. That was proably our biggest annoyance, but again, it's part of the experience. Jamaica is a really poor country, so you can't hate people for trying to make a living off the "rich" Americans. They'll back off if you're pleasant but firm - they're really friendly, not scary at all. We actually got a few really good deals, including a few necklaces and a big shell in exchange for one of my husbands old t-shirts...
There's food everywhere and it was was really good, but not a lot of variety. Lucky for us we don't care about variety as long as we like it! I never thought I'd live to see the day when I found myself going through a buffet line for the second time WHILE WEARING A BIKINI! But hey - that's Jamaica!!
For the money we spent, we had a wonderful experience. The staff were friendly and professional, accomodations were great, and the atmosphere was amazing. We're planning to go back in 2 years and would definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking to book a trip. Have fun!

Stayed October 2004
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 11, 2005

That was a really long trip from Greece but it worthed it!!!
We had a great time at Sandals Montego Bay. The hotel was very nice and clean, the food was good, the stuff friendly and polite and the playmakers amazing (Sadiki, the best).
We can only say good words about this place and we are definately going back. Ya man!

• Stayed March 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2005

I have been back a month from my fabulous honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay. My husband and I were there March 7-14, and loved every minute of our vacation. I am a VERY picky person, and am easily bothered, so I felt I needed to write this review in response to all of the negative ones I have read.

First of all, if you hate a fun environment and friendly staff, then this resort is not the place for you. The staff was always very wonderful and accomadating. They would do anything to make you feel happy and welcome. My water was always full, and I was always treated with politeness. There is a very fun atmosphere to this resort...there was always something going on for you to participate in. The thing that we loved the most was that we could be surrounded by people or as a alone as we wanted at any given moment.

The food is good...they are not five star restaurants, but if you wanted that you wouldn't be doing all inclusive. I am a picky eater, and there was always something I enjoyed at every place. We could order as many entrees as we could eat in one sitting, and the wait staff was always pleasant. They become your friends after awhile, as long as you treat them with respect as well.

A couple of things to know:
I strongly recommend the concierge service because it provides a full bar in you room. This is well worth it as it provides water and alcohol late at night when those things are hard to come by.

Also, on Friday's the resort brings in all of the local merchants so you can go shopping. I had a couple of friends pay to go into town, and not only were they a little frightened, they said that the shopping at the resort on that day was just as good. Other day trips were excellent, especially the booze cruise over to Margaritaville.

In regards to the airplane noise, people should get over themselves. I am a light sleeper, and the planes were not bad at all. The first time it is a little disarming, but after that, you don't even notice it. The noise is gone is 2 seconds, and there are so few planes that it didn't affect us at all. Just don't visit this resort if a few little noises are going to ruin a week in paradise.

I had a great vacation, and we will be going back when we are lucky enough. The rooms are clean and brightly colored, the beach is beautiful, and the staff friendly and kind. If you are looking for a great and relaxing trip, this is the way to go.

• Stayed March 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 10, 2005

This was the first Sandals/Beaches property my boyfriend and I had ever stayed at. We'd heard so much about the Sandal's quality and wanted a resort we could trust (and trust me some of them are terrible-the stay is almost unbearable-but not Sandal's), and since we were just going for a quick getaway for 3 nights and 4 days we opted for something close to the airport so that we didn't have to spend all day traveling. And we didn't, our flight left Atlanta around 7 am and we were at the resort by 12 noon! We even got there before check in. In fact, to get to the resort you just ride your tour bus around the end of the runway and turn back left and you're there!! You can see the resort as you land if you're seated on the left side of the plane!!

Once getting off the bus the staff greeted us with chilled wash cloths to sponge our face off (I kind of felt silly-it really wasn't even that hot) and they served us champagne or Red Stripe. Since it was early they took us into this little meeting room and gave us a quick orientation.

Afterwards we went to the swim up/piano bar and had some drinks. It was here we had our first concerns about this resort. It is right at the end of the runway!! So, living in North Georgia and being use to the peacefulness offered there the sounds of those jets taking off was a huge startle! However, within the first day they weren't as disturbing, it just wasn't that relaxed as I'd hoped for.

Once we went back to the desk our room was ready, and like all the other resorts the bell hop escorted us to our room. They even gave us a complimentary room upgrade.

The rooms at this resort are nice, with Cherry or Mahagony furniture, 4 poster beds, etc. They are pretty standard and equivilent for all the other Sandals/beaches properties but are better than the Wyndham or Superclubs resorts. Never the less-we weren't in the room that much.

Now, the down side to the room was we were located close to the swim up/piano bar. If you look at the site map this is located down the beach from the main part of the resort. So, going to the resturants, excursions, etc. seems like a hike...especially since the sidewalk is winding. And the ground are meticulous at all of these resorts.

The other downside to the room was being located near the swim up/piano bar. My boyfriend is in his 40's/I'm in my 30's, that night after having gone to bed late the night before, then up early to travel, then with all the drinks at the resort....we were exhausted by 11:00 pm. We were ready to go to sleep! Which we did to only be awaken at 12 mn from the crowd at the piano bar singing to Bob Segar (yea, Bob Segar--it's ironic--you'd think Bob Marley-but they were singing their hearts out to "Old time Rock-n-roll"). It sounded fun but I just didn't have the energy.

I would say the food at this resort is actually the best of all the Sandal's/Beaches properties we've stayed at. There is plenty of choices to choose from too. I was a little disappointed in the beach bar as you only got served from one side of it and there aren't any stools. However, the service is speedy and the drinks good.

The beach at this resort is very nice, just as it was at the other Sandal's/Beaches Properties. There is plenty of lounge chairs, and shade, and the beach is kept very clean. A word of caution however was that folks kept getting stung by jelly fish out at the dock, so don't hang out around there. One girl got stung twice in one day. So, apparently the jelly fish have school under the dock. She did have good things to say about the nurse anyway!!

We didn't go on any excursions while we stayed at this resort. We did walk up to the entrance one night and watch the planes take off (and we weren't even bored!!!). And, the good thing is the planes don't take off real late at night...so they didn't really disturb your sleep. There was a list of cab companies up there with rates, the desk staff were happy to contact them for anyone who wanted to use them.

Another good thing about this resort is the complimentary check out lounge. We were able to check our baggage at the resort (which saves a lot of standing in line at the airport). This is a service for all the Sandal's/Beaches properties and your travel agent can even arrange to have this took care of when booking your trip. We checked our baggage at check-out (which is 11 am) then we went back down to the beach until it was time to leave for the airport (our flight was around 5 pm-so we stayed on the beach until about 3 pm).

The only thing I didn't like was that we were put on one bus, then no farther than this resort is from the airport was put on an Air Jamaica bus (we went on an Air Jamaica Vacation), then taken to the airport. Once we got there an Air Jamaica rep met us and walked us straight through all the check points and immediately put us on a plane that was waiting to depart!! Our flight had been cancelled and we were put on another plane. So, I guess in the worst situation they made it a comfortable experience--we just didn't get to do any duty free shopping at the airport as we had planned. And...that was the only time that has ever happened to us...we've gone to Jamaica 8 times.

This resort was nice, it was okay, It was even exceptional, but not up to the same standards as the other Sandal's properties due convenience, which ironically is the very thing we chose this resort for is also the very thing we'd not choose it again, so everything is a trade off.

If I could change anything about this resort I'd put stools at the bar, and considering the stretch of beach this resort is on I'd put more beach bars and grills!! And, if there were anyway to make the main lobby more central that would be good. I really don't think there is anything that can be done about the air traffic noise--but, some people don't have a problem with that. And the staff is great (I forgot to mention that). I don't recall very much nightly entertainment either, although I'm sure we just missed that, maybe because of how the resort is laid out.

I don't think I'd go back to Sandal's Montego Bay...Sandal's Royal Caribbean is also close by and is nice too! Plus you don't hear the air traffic at this resort. It's probably 5-10 minutes from the airport and is a nicer more centrally laid out resort. I'd probably go back there first.

Sandals is a name you can trust. You pay for that name, and sometimes even features you don't use, but you can trust it. I've even found that it isn't alway a name you have to have to be comfortable, but if I were going to Antigua or Turks & Caico's and even to St. Lucia--I'd definately stay at Sandal's. In fact I even changed an itinerary to St. Lucia after I investigated the other resorts-it cost me twice as much but, I don't want to be at a resort a whole week and be miserable!!! You can trust Sandal's to not let that happen.

• Stayed September 2003
14 Thank sam68
Reviewed April 9, 2005

I just returned from Sandels Montego Bay with my husand last night and let me say I read all the reviews and went there with an open mind. Well lets begin the major problem with the resort is that it is literally almost on the runway to the airport with flights all day and all night some even in the middle of the night I heard about it from the other reviews and I didnt think it was that bad, but to my suprise it was. We had a Honeymoon Waters Egde Concierge the room was nice but not worth what we paid for it, also the view from the room was nice. There was alot of bugs in our room I dont know how many we killed, I know your in the carribean and its expected but it was a bit much and I did not like the fact that in the bathroom they have open windows with screens. When I am in the bathroom I want privacy so basicly anyone passing by your window could hear everything. The beach was ok there was alot of seaweed on the beach and the chairs were in need of repair and I also suggest if you want a umbrealla to shade you from the sun you better go early. The food was average really no major problem except for the variety. The staff was friendly some of them a little to friendly. Warning to the ladies be prepared to get hit on I never got hit on more in my life and right in front of my husband he didnt mind but it was getting to him towards the end of our stay. There was mix of age groups from 20's to people in there 70's. Well this was my experience maybe someone else has a different view, but hope it will help someone make a decision about this resort as for me I would never return again.

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
National Park,NJ
Reviewed April 5, 2005

I actually won this trip so I thought that we would get a little room in the back by the kitchen. It started out with a champagne flight and a movie and at the end we had a nice flight with another good movie. Between the flights we had the experience of our lives. We were placed in an incredible room with a beach/ocean view that took our breath away, the people were so pleasant and friendly, the food was out of this world and in total, we relaxed and enjoyed ourselves very much. The shows, well I just can't say enough about the entertainment they provided. How wonderful this place is and we are making plans to return for our 25th anniversary. This time we are taking another couple with us to celebrate their anniversary also. If you have never been to this location, I would strongly recommend that you check it out. You will not be disappointed!!!!!

8 Thank CaptainMorgan&me