“Great Honeymoon”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon on Monday the 12th of May. I've always wanted to go to Jamaica because I'm a big Reggae fan and I'm glad I convinced my wife to have our honeymoon there.

I am going to break this review down into different categories to make it easier to read:

Check In - This was a pleasant experience for us but I must admit that we did have butler service so we were immediately swept away to a seperate area from the main desk and had champagne while everything was being taken care of for us. We did however have to wait an hour or so for our room to be ready.

Room - We had a Bayroc Villa room. It was very spacious with a large bathroom that had a standup shower and a jacuzzi. The room was kept very clean. The maids even come at night to turn the covers. The air conditioning worked well. Our fridge was re-stocked everyday. There weren't too many bugs spotted in the room but hey when you're on a tropical island there are bound to be a few.

Beach - The beach in my opinion is just big enough. They have a good amount of umbrellas. Having butler service helps here too as they will reserve umbrellas for you early in the morning. The water is really nice. They rake the sand everyday and there are people walking up and down the beach non-stop picking up empty cups. I always heard that Negril has a way better beach than Montego Bay but I didn't see any problems with it. Not very many rocks, etc. The beach has a bar conveniently located and the service is pretty quick. They also serve burgers and fries and jerk chicken on the other side of the bar during lunch hour and early afternoon.

Food - The food was AMAZING. The one thing I hate about vacations is staying at a resort that has CRAP for food. The minute I got there I was already eating Jerk Chicken and Beef Patties. I was loving it. The breakfast buffet was great and always had a good selections of different foods available including any style of eggs you wanted made to order. They have a few options for dinner:

Tokyo Joe's - make your own stir fry. This was probably my favorite restaurant on the resort.

Ok Corral - only available on certain nights. It is a cowboy themed restaurant.

Cucina Romana - Italian restaurant. The food was pretty good here.

International Buffer - no reservation required here. It offers a variety of foods from traditional Jamaican dishes to seafood.

Oleander - I didn't get a chance to eat at this one but apparently it is dressy and I didn't really have any dressy clothes with me anyway.

When you stay at a Sandals in Jamaica, you can take a bus shuttle to any other Sandals so other options for dinner are to go to another resort and try out what they have. The most popular was the Royal Thai at the Sandals Royal resort.

Room Service - This was a bit of a drawback for me. The breakfast was great. No complaints and always on time. However, when ordering for dinner it can take a while and the food wasn't that great to me. Late night ordering didn't take as long but again the food wasn't great.

Butler Service - This is for those of you who may be considering a room that comes with Butler Service. Let me start off by saying DO IT. It was so worth it I can't even explain. These butlers do everything for you. They will reserve umbrellas on the beach for you. They take care of you dinner reservations and meet you at the restaurant with your table waiting. They will prepare a romantic jacuzzi bath with candles etc while you're out of the room. We even had our butler go into town to buy cigarettes for us at a cheaper price than what they were charging at the resort. Amazing service.

No tipping policy - Ok, this part isn't really a review, but it was a nice experience to go somewhere where employees will literally refuse tips. Most resorts I've been to made me feel like I couldn't do anything without leaving a tip. At Sandals, you ask for a drink, you get it, and that is that.

Staff - All the staff I dealt with were extremely nice. I did not have problems with anyone. I got to know a few of them on a more personal level which was great.

Entertainment - On the beach there is always something going on during the day. Music is playing and they will get people to come up and play funny couples games, etc. At night at the skydome they have different acts, etc. everynight. Everything dies down around 10pm or so which I didn't mind because too much sun burns me out and I need to sleep :)

Overall, I can most definately say that I enjoyed my stay here and I will return someday.

5  Thank shlammed

Reviewed May 14, 2009

Stayed at Montego Bay. The staff was very gracious and welcoming and could not do enough for you. The Royal Caribbean is newer and more beautiful as far as the hotel is concerned. But nicer stretch of beach to walk along at Montego Bay and to find a great spot to lounge. Hobee Sail boat was fun there and great instruction if you want to take it out by yourselfs. Fun going from one nearby Sandals hotel or another by free shuttle bus for a meal or just to visit and try their beach etc. Enjoyed the beautiful ,"best " water at public beach across the street from Sandals Inn. The water at the public beach was so clear and open and little ripples moving the water. No restriction there as how far out you can go although very very small sand area and keep valuables at Sandals Inn not on the beach since it is not a private Sandals beach like you have at Royal Carib or Montego Bay Sandals. You can't go wrong with a Sandals vacation. Bar service , food and entertainment galore. Jamaican people at Sandals very kind and helpful. Stayed May 4-8, 2009

2  Thank MontegoBayvacationer
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to booking a Suite that includes
Butler Service. We all deserve to be treated like Royalty on occassion
and this is your answer. Our butlers Chris and Dexter were wonderful
and most of all were so sincere with everything they did for us. They
were very well trained and you could tell that they loved their job.
It may never happen again for us but at least we have the memories.

Reviewed May 12, 2009

My husband and I visited Sandals MoBay in May 2009 for our honeymoon and I must say it was the best vacation of my life. I have traveled many times with the girls and we have been to many places and Sandals is by far the best! The staff at MoBay took care of us from the moment we stepped onto their shuttle to get to the resort. By far, Jamaica has the best hospitality I have ever experienced. The people on the resort and off were very kind and we were not hassled off the resort. Yes, there were many vendors off the resort selling all sorts of things but a simple no thank you was just enough for them to leave you alone. I was very surprised!
Sandals MoBay had excellent service, even some of the wait staff remembered my name throughout the whole trip. I thought that was very cool due to the fact there are a lot of people on the resort, though it was no where near crowded, which was a huge plus!!
Our room was right on the water with a balcony over looking the ocean. We can see the sunset right from our room which was absolutely amazing!! We had a fully stocked bar in our room which was so convenient and we loved it! The rum there is absolutely amazing! No rum, no fun, ya mon!! There was also a wonderful jacuzzi tub in our bathroom which was used often. The last night we were there, we won a candelight bubble bath with roses on the bed and also leading to the bathroom with tealights and rose petals in our tub. We also won a bottle of jamaican cream rum and they set up an ice bucket with champaign right next to the jacuzzi tub. It was beautiful. When we walked into the room they even had mood music playing, it was so nice!!
We absolutely loved the service from the staff. There was no wait to get a drink from the bar and we were always able to get a seat for any meal very quickly. The food was very good, especially Tokyo Joes, though we were disappointed we weren't able to get reservations at the two reservation only restaurants a second time.
Overall we would love to go back to Jamaica again and again. It was so beautiful and the tour guides were excellent! I highly recommend going to Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios as it was amazing!!
So, all the people who gave bad reviews, I feel very sorry for them as we did not experience anything we did not like! Make Sandals MoBay your next trip!! We love Jamaica!!

4  Thank cutinstyle
Reviewed May 11, 2009

After booking our WeddingMoon at Sandals Mo Bay, I got on tripadvisor.com and read some reviews. I was shocked and almost canceled our trip because of some horrible reviews. Needless to say, I am SO glad we went. Everything about the place was perfect.

The beach is amazing and look exactly like the pictures. The water is so clear and the sand is really soft. We were on the beach everyday with a reserved spot. The butlers do reserve their guests the lounge chairs with shade so people that dont have a butler probably complain about that. It was nice to have the shade when we wanted it. Each day they brought us a cooler with champange and orange juice, water, beer etc. We rented the cabana bed one day, very cool. $125 gives you the bed from 8-5 with breakfast & lunch served. After being on the beach all day, it was nice to take a nap on the bed. The water sports are fun although we didnt snorkel or dive. The mini sailboats are really fun when you have one of the Sandals people take you out...ask for Daniel and tell him you want to go way out into the ocean. The water was 30-45 ft deep and we could still see down. It was gorgeous!

The planes are a bit loud but nothing to complain about, you're 5 minutes from the airport, what do you expect? I actually didnt mind the planes, we waved to everyone as they went by. The planes were never early enough to wake us up (we get up around 9 am) and they didnt go past 7 pm.

We were in room 957, the Jr. Suite by the swim up bar. It was gorgeous! Extra large shower and jacuzzi bath was my favorite. The beds were very comfortable and we always had turn down service. The housekeepers came by everyday to tidy up our room and give us fresh towels. It was nice to have a TV in the room with some cable for the nights we were really tired and didnt want to do anything.

Having a butler is the way to go! Craig & Irolet, you MADE our trip! They are such wonderful people actually the whole staff at Sandals is. The people are very genuine and thoughtful. We will definitely request Craig again when we go back (and YES we are booking our trip back SOON)! One thing about the butlers is they are allowed tips but for the extra special service they do deserve it.

The vendors on the beach are not a pain at all. Security keeps them in the water and doesnt allow them on the beach. They are no bother whatsoever. We made friends with a few of them. If you dont want their stuff, just tell them "No Thank you" and they will leave you alone. If you're nice to them, they're nice right back.

Our wedding was a dream. If you are thinking about getting married there, DO IT! The photographers are great (request Marva) and they captured beautiful shots of my now husband and I. We did upgrade to an arch on the beach, it was beautiful and Im so happy I did it. Our wedding went really smooth too so no worries about anything. They take care of it all! I did get my hair and make up, pedi & mani done at the spa which was nice and relaxing the day of my wedding. Collindete did a fantastic job on my hair & make up. When purchasing the photos from your wedding, ask if they have any resort special instead of the packages they advertise on their website. The pictures are pricy but it was our wedding and I didnt want to be cheap on something that will last us a lifetime.

The ONLY complaint we have is the food, which might not mean anything because my husband and I are really picky eaters; we dont eat seafood or really branch out of our normal meals at home. The resturants were ok for us, Tokoyo Joes was the best one out of them and Cucina Romana was 2nd. Breakfast was great everyday though! They make good french toast & pancakes!!

We cannot wait to go back! Dont worry about the bad reviews, if you're going there for the beach and relaxation you will surely get it.

3  Thank jenna43001
Reviewed May 9, 2009

This was our third Sandals and anticipated long lazy days on a raft in the pool by the swim up bar, but the pools here were very small. So we opted instead to stay under a tree by the sea sipping Pina Coladas. What a pleasant experience. The sand was cool and the water was warm. The light showers each day didn't stop the fun.

The nightly entertainment in the Sky Dome was great! The local bands were top notch.

We only had two things we didn't like. The chairs in the room were very uncomfortable, and every time my husband ordered Guinness in the Cricketer's Pub, they were out of it.

All in all, however, it was a wonderful experience. The staff, especially the bartenders, were well trained and friendly. Cudos to the trainers.

We'll definitely be back.

4  Thank MsTerriP
Reviewed May 8, 2009

After reading some bad reviews, we were worried about staying here, but needlessly.
We were met at the airport and driven to the resort in a private car. The check in was easy and we were given an upgrade to a beautiful room in the Seagrapes building. The rooms were spotlessly clean and had a fridge stocked with soft drinks and bottled water that was restocked every day. The maid cleaned daily and arranged towels and flowers on the bed for us. She also turned down the sheets every evening. The bathroom had everything we needed including toiletries and fresh white fluffy towels.
The gardens are so beautiful and peaceful .They are full of exotic plants and flowers and are very well kept. We loved to see the hummingbirds and watch the mongoose running about between the flower beds in the evenings.
The beach is long. The wider end has water sports and is the lively end, but as you walk along it narrows and becomes quieter. The only problem we found was the lack of sun shades. Sun beds are readily available but sun shades are reserved by the butlers for their guests. We thought this was rather unfair, as the resevation notices were kept on the shades when the guests went home, sometimes for two days, until new butler guests arrived. We stayed for two weeks and found it almost impossible to get beds with sun shades. Please take note Sandals.
The beach is kept very clean and is raked by hand twice a day. Haynes deserves a mention here as he works hard and always has a smile. Also we met a lovely man called Aston from the water sports who became a true friend to us and we hope to keep in contact with him.
Food is good and plentiful. The restaurants are clean and all the waiting staff are friendly and helpfull. We had no problem booking reservations but book in advance by a couple of days if you can. I am choosy when it comes to food, but had no problems and the choice is amazing. The water is good to drink so dont be afraid to drink the water you are offered at meal times. Breakfast at Bayside is the best meal of the day, and the view of the sea from here is spectacular. We loved to be served coffee from Richard, hot and "Steaming", Yea man.
Entertainment was wonderful. Everything from steel bands, regae bands marching bands to fire eaters and limbo dancers. The playmakers did their job so well and boy can they dance. Fantastic to watch them. The drinks are plentifull and good measures
and they are offered constantly. The Jamaican Smile was my favourite and you must try one as soon as you get there.
We did not think that the buildings looked run down, far from it. The staff work their socks off to maintain it, as it is the flagship Sandals and in our opinion, the best on the island. We visited Sandals Whitehouse and the Royal Carribean and while they are lovely ,they do not have the atmosphere or beauty of Montego Bay.
We did some trips and hired a driver who acted as our guide and took us where we wanted to go. Nine Mile was great [ Bob Marley Village]; the boat trip down the Black River with the crocodiles was fantastic; The raft down the Martha Bray river was peaceful;
and just driving through the towns and villages was beautiful. Montego Bay has a museum and is full of history also Falmouth is worth seeing and walking around. If you want to do this, ask for Webster to be your driver. If you go out to the front of the hotel where the coaches pull up someone will know him.
The planes were not a problem. You will be surprised at the nearness of the airport as the runway is behind the hotel, but they take off and are gone with little noise.
Jamaican people are wondefull, and we feel blessed to have spent some time with them. All the staff in the complex from maids to management level go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay and we were sad to leave them all. We look forward to returning.

6  Thank lindenlee
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!