“The best Vacation EVER!!!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed September 30, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Sandals MoBay from Sept.19th-27th. It was so awesome. This was our 2nd time to Sandals in Jamaica; the first time was at the Sandals Royal Carribean. And MoBay is so much more fun. The playmakers are the best, very active. The food is great, the grill is the best (I love patties!), the disco is fun, and the beach is beautiful. There is not one negative thing to say about our trip to Sandals Montego bay, except our stay was too short (9 days). I could of stayed another week or two! A few of the reviews I read about the service being poor and the food not being excellent is totally false. In fact I noticed the staff treated everyone with upmost respect and service was always prompt. There are 5 restaurants and each have an great selection, we were always satisfied. We also met some really cool people too! Enjoy the best vacation of your life, we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2004
2  Thank Jaimie S
Write a ReviewReviews (5,584)

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 30, 2004

Me & my Husband went on our honeymoon at Montego Bay Sandals (September 2004) and we purchased the Luxury room. This room looked like a bad cheap Motel 6 room and it had green carpet on the floors. The room was unacceptable!!! We were transfered to the Grand Luxury room and this room was a little better but it had mold on the walls by the A/C. Word of advise: Make sure you ask detailed questions regarding the rooms before booking and purchase the best room available when traveling in Jamaica!!!!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas City
Reviewed September 27, 2004

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals MoBay (9/19-9/26) and absolutely loved the resort. We booked a Honeymoon Beachfront Concierge Suite (room 853) and could not have been happier with its location or amenities. The room was spacious, with a separate living room & bedroom, a fully stocked bar, a bay window that looked directly onto the beach & ocean, and a front patio with table & chairs. Moreover, from front door to toe in ocean was a mere 30 ft. The room was always well cleaned, including turn-down service in the evening. Although there were tons of activities to join (watersports, evening entertainment, partying, etc.), we mainly just took it easy and relaxed. We did do the snorkeling and it was absolutely beautiful -- such clear water! Our main past time was hanging out at the Piano Bar and accompanying pool. This area was awesome, with its beautiful pool (including a winding 'river' that surrounded the bar) and the ability to swim right up to the bar and order a drink. When the sun got too warm, we would just go inside the bar and enjoy the "Get Lucky" drink, specially made by Hector (the best!!). All of the restaurants were wonderful. We especially enjoyed the Italian restaurant, where we ate dinner 3 nights. I cannot say enough about the service that we received. All of the Sandals MoBay employees seem genuinely happy to help and assist. Their loyalty to the company, the country & to you, their customer far surpasses what is usually seen in the US. I cannot say the same for the staff at the Sandals Inn; however. One evening we took the complementary shuttle to this resort for dinner. The restaurant for which we were booked had decided not to open that night at all, without evening notifying their sister resort of their plans. So, with two hours to spare before we could catch the shuttle back to MoBay, we resorted to dinner in their main (small) dining room. We were treated very rudely and the food was mediocre. Perhaps this is unfair, but we had become accustomed to such service at MoBay that we were potentially a little jaded. We just couldn't wait to get back 'home.' In fact, we then cancelled our next evening's excursion to Sandals Royal, for fear of wasting another evening at a resort that may not compare to MoBay (we're obviously risk-averse people). A note regarding the men in kayaks: Yes, they are there and surprisingly close to the beach. However, a quick visit with them and a firm no is all it takes for them to leave you alone. We never felt pressured or unsafe. All-in-all, we loved our trip and cannot wait to go back (are already planning a trip for April). If you go, be sure to visit Hector in the Piano Bar and Sonya in the Bayside restaurant -- such special people. Feel free to e-mail me for additional information or pictures. Good luck!... Lisa.

• Stayed: September 2004
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed September 25, 2004

My husband and I just arrived back from Sandals, Mo Bay (9/18 - 9/25). We were originally booked at Couples, Negril but after getting very little initial feedback about the condition of the resort after Hurricane Ivan, I read Sandals Hurricane policy and was impressed with the timely communications from management to present and immediate, future guests about the status of the the chain's resorts in the wake of the storm. We rebooked to Sandals and we were not disappointed.

The room: wonderful. We were already upgraded upon arrival to a newly renovated block with the "Honeymoon Grand Luxe Beachfront" room (3rd floor), but my husband wanted a first floor room so they promptly showed us another room - same cateogry but on the first floor, away from the main resort bustle - with an extended balcony - just beautiful!

The resort staff: awesome. Really friendly and just a tonic for our overstressed souls! Hector at the piano bar was just awesome - but they all were! The service was just flawless.

The food: I was not expecting much - I've been to other resorts and the food has always been o.k. The food here was much better and varied.

Other patrons: We couldn't have asked for better people to relax and party with. We went to a wedding - impromptu, which was wonderful. Just a great group of people to be with. We met some great folks.

The few negatives: The airport is REALLY close to the resort and unlike some of the postings I read - on Sat., Sun. and Mon. - planes were taking off every 1/2 hour at least. For the first day or two, it's really distracting. And they are really close to the ground so it's loud and a little nerve wracking. If I could change one thing about this resort, it would be to have the airstrip a little farther way.

Mosquitos - really bad right now, post-hurricane. If you're going within the next couple of weeks, stock up before you go - good, heavy-duty bug spray. DON'T buy the watered down scented stuff. Buy stinky, industrial quality stuff to spray yourself down with. You'll need it - I was bitten non-stop until I bought some decent spray. The gift shop is sold out right now (today, anyway) and their prices are outrageous so do yourself a favor and buy a couple bottles (no joke) before you go.

Ditto re: books, newspapers. Newspapers: $5.00 for a USA today and $14 for paperback. They said these have to be shipped in but in my opinion, it's still highway robbery

Overall - wonderful vacation. We would revisit a Sandals again. We would really like to experience a Couples resort, as well, eventually, just for comparison, but we loved Sandals!!!!!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 23, 2004

My husband and I went to MoBay on our honeymoon expecting the best. We arrived in Jamaica to beautiful weather and clear skies. Sine our plane landed at 9 a.m. and we were not able to check into our room until early afternoon, we changed into our swim suits and rented a jet ski (a Sandals no-no, but one of the friendly water sports guys hooked us up...). The following day we wanted to go snorkeling, so we headed to the water sports desk because we saw a bunch of people getting snorkeling gear. We asked the guy if we could go and he asked if we had signed up. We told him that we didn't (since it was only our 2nd day, we didn't know we had to), so he radioed the boat to see if they had room for us. They did and we went...it was awesome, very clear and beautiful. Not as colorful as I expected, but still AMAZING!

The following day we went to the AWESOME white sand beach and then got evacuated to the Ritz-Carlton at about 3 p.m. They sent us to the Ritz because it is "the safest place on the island." This place was a massive concrete structure that looked like it could hold back a wrecking ball for a few days. Ivan the Terrible came and went. MoBay had sustained some damage so we weren't able to return to the resort, but we would definitely go back in a heartbeat.

The food was great, the beach was phenomenal (WAY better than the rocky, tiny beach with huge rock breakers at the Ritz-Carlton) and the staff was very polite and helpful. We loved the secluded hot tubs that seemed to be hidden around the property ;)

This is definitely a fun place for people who want to be active on their vacation. There was always something going on and fun stuff to do (even though we were only there for 2 days we saw that the place was bustling until late into the evening), but if you just want to lay out and get some sun, there is plenty of beach to do that too :)

Sandals is an awesome company they really took care of us at the Ritz and, since there was a hurricane, we are going to be able to take advantage of their Hurricane Guarantee. We are planning on taking our daughter to Beaches in Turks and Caicos. I will write a review of that when we get back...GO TO SANDALS!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Highland, CA
Reviewed September 16, 2004

We arrived on Friday 9-3-04, with 4 other couples. Our daughted was married on Monday, then Ivan came in on Friday. Sandals handeled everything in this situation just great. They evacuated us to the Ritz Carlton, where we stayed for 4 nights. One night we had to sleep on the floor in the ballroom, but we felt perfectly safe at all times. Just wanted to share our experience of how Sandals kept us fully informed at all times of Hurricane Ivan. It was a scary situation, but Sandals really took care of us.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 15, 2004

We spent our honeymoon (7/19 - 7/25/04) at Sandals in Montego Bay and it was worth every single penny!!! I must first say that "it is what you make of it". And that goes for any vacation. Those people who have had a bad experience go in expecting to find bad things and make it a point to critisize everything! We went in with an open mind and had a wonderful time. The room was newly renovated - Honeymoon Beachfront Conceirge Room. They were smaller than expected, but the bed was big and that is the only reason we were in the room anyway! There was a stocked fridge with beer, pepsi, fruit juices, water, etc. As well as other alcohol. We highly recommend the concierge service - they were on top of everything! The housekeeping was immaculate and they even turned down our bed at night. The beach was GREAT. No waves!!! All the watersports you could think of, snorkling, etc. You have to go on the Daydreamer Catamaran Cruise - it does cost extra but it was very fun. Food was plentyful and always available. I have never eaten so much in one day! I cant stress enough how much we loved it. Another note - we checked out Royal Carribean Sandals - Yuk! I was very happy with our decision to stay at MoBay! Please feel free to email me for pics or more info!

• Stayed: July 2004