“Loved it!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed September 15, 2004

We spent our honeymoon (7/19 - 7/25/04) at Sandals in Montego Bay and it was worth every single penny!!! I must first say that "it is what you make of it". And that goes for any vacation. Those people who have had a bad experience go in expecting to find bad things and make it a point to critisize everything! We went in with an open mind and had a wonderful time. The room was newly renovated - Honeymoon Beachfront Conceirge Room. They were smaller than expected, but the bed was big and that is the only reason we were in the room anyway! There was a stocked fridge with beer, pepsi, fruit juices, water, etc. As well as other alcohol. We highly recommend the concierge service - they were on top of everything! The housekeeping was immaculate and they even turned down our bed at night. The beach was GREAT. No waves!!! All the watersports you could think of, snorkling, etc. You have to go on the Daydreamer Catamaran Cruise - it does cost extra but it was very fun. Food was plentyful and always available. I have never eaten so much in one day! I cant stress enough how much we loved it. Another note - we checked out Royal Carribean Sandals - Yuk! I was very happy with our decision to stay at MoBay! Please feel free to email me for pics or more info!

• Stayed: July 2004
4  Thank Randie B
Write a ReviewReviews (5,529)

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 14, 2004

This review is not about just one hotel, but about Sandals Corp. as a whole.

My husband and I had booked our Honeymoon at the Sandals Inn Feb 27th 2004 for 4 days, when we got to the airport we were told they had overbooked the hotel and told us we were going to be moved to Ocho Rios. Well, we thought ok~we had no idea it was a 2 hour bus ride. By the time they had shuffled us around it was almost 7pm when we got to the resort. We had pretty much lost our whole first day.
The few days we had went by so quick that after being there 2 days I ask if we could buy another night, since we had lost the whole first day. They said yes, for $590.00~LOL~no discount at all was offered to us, after being sent someplace we didn't want to be.

After talking to several other guests, we found out that Sandals seems to do this moving people from one place to another quite a bit. The difference was, that most other people had vacations of 7 days or more. My husband had gone down to the front desk on our first night there and ask for a bottle of champagne (since it was our honeymoon and we were both very tired from the ride) they didn't want to give it to him, even though they were pouring it for arriving guests. He had to get angry before they gave him a $5.00 bottle of champagne.

So our last day of our very short stay arrived, and they had us come to the front lobby at 10am to get the bus back to the airport, well guess what~they had too many people for the bus, so we had to wait another 90 mins. for another bus.We got to the airport just in time to make our plane.

This is just the SHORT story of what all happened. So when we got home we contacted our travel agent and wrote him a letter detailing all of the problems we had.
After quite a few weeks and many e-mails later, Sandals offered to give us the equalivent of the cost of 2 nights at Sandals Inn.

So here we are today~

Now we booked 7 days at Mo Bay, leaving Dayton on Sept.9th~Well Hurricane Ivan had other ideas. So we were told we would have to leave after the airport reopened. So we were fine with that, no problem.
Now you would think that Sandals would make sure that as soon as the resorts were back up and running, they would make sure we were one of the first people to get our vacation (or should I say, the Honeymoon we never really had), but NO, we were told we would not even be able to leave until Oct.16th. Even though I called the Sandals toll free number and was told that they have rooms averrable next week, for the date we wanted to travel. But we were told by Jessica (the top lady) that because we had been given a discount, we were the last people to be given placement. They were saving those rooms for FULL paying guests.

Now, how is that for costumer service? We would have never gotten a discount to begin with, had our first trip been handled correctly. How do you Overbook a resort? They know how many people they have booked. This has been so stressful on my husband and myself. We have had our hopes up so many times, because they kept telling us we would get out on this date or that date, now to be put off until Oct.
Well, I will take my trip in Oct.but will I ever take another vacation with Sandals~~~NO~~~
My husband is a minister and I work the front desk at a well known hotel, and you can bet, I will tell everyone who will listen, just how poorly we were treated.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Southern California
Reviewed September 14, 2004

We went to Montego Bay and were a little apprehensive due to the negative review that we saw. We had the time of our lives!!! It was a beautiful resort and we ended up meeting TONS of friends. One couple, Tom and Jess, just went to the river with us last weekend! We are DEFINITELY planning a return trip. The playmakers were so much fun. Please email if you have any questions. Sandals MoBay was by far my favoritie vacation. We can't wait to go back next year.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 9, 2004

My wife and I visited Sandal's Montego Bay on our honeymoon expecting paradise. While we had a great time, we felt like we were not given what was promised in the brochure. Our breakfast and lunch selection was a rather mediocre buffet that we could get at any Old Country Buffet. Our room was nice. However, our bathroom was very hot and humid due to the screened vents above the shower that are open to the outside and do not close. Not to mention the fact that our water shut off for several hours and my wife got sick after it went back on. If you want paradise for a similar cost, I highly recommend Aruba.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 4, 2004

Just returned from 10 fabulous days at Sandals M'Bay.

We'd been a bit alarmed by some of the negative reviews we'd read after booking our trip, but we cannot understand how other people's experiences of the resort could be so different from ours.

In our experience the service we received from ALL the staff was of a very high standard, certainly as good, probably better, as any we've experienced in Europe, Middle East and USA, and very friendly.

The guests were mostly younger Americans when we were there ( we're in our 40's ) but they were all polite and very friendly and just seemed intent on having a really fun time.

The beach is wonderful, the water clear and warm.

Food is very good - Oleander Room best for us.

The airport being close is simply not an issue. There are not enough take-offs a day for it to be a problem.

If you do go then consider the trip to Dunn River Falls - a really different experience.

4  Thank DiandP
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed August 31, 2004

OMG! Ya Mon! This trip was so amazing! Everything was perfect. Food choices couldn't have been better. Staff couldn't have been friendlier...WHAT"S UP PLAYMAKERS!!! Sadiki, David, Showtime, Ace, Andrew, O'Brien, Davian & Zac.... ya'll are awesome! I had the time of my life on this trip, and can't wait to go back next year! Pay no mind to any negitave reviews..... there is nothing negative about Mobay. Everything is Irie here!! Quick shout out to the NEW MEXICO sisters.... ( (-: Dawn & Thor here :-) ) I miss ya'll.
I met wonderful people and truly enjoyed evey moment, and I am sure you would too.

Reviewed August 31, 2004

I have to disagree with IRIE. We got married on the beach in Mo Bay Sept 17/01. I'm not sure if it was because it was so soon after 9/11 happened, but we did not involve ourselfs much in the games. We had a wonderful time! It was so laid back and relaxing!!! We saw the others playing and having fun.. But we weren't into that part of it. So, this resort is great for the laid back AND the gamers. The discos at night were dead. We are going back in April and this time we plan on visiting some other resorts since we don't have the weddingmoon to contend with. The sandals brochure rated this resort as a 8.5 out of 10 We would give it an 11!!
Anyone know if KIRKPATRICK still works there? Feel free to email us!!

PS: I drank Pina Coladas for 7 days straight!! OMG

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!